Author Topic: Hormone Imbalance  (Read 2000 times)

Simon66

Hormone Imbalance
« on: October 25, 2020, 02:42:01 PM »
I feel like some of my symptoms are related to a hormone imbalance.

My adrenal, thyroid and sex hormones have been abnormal at times:
1. High Cortisol and very high Aldosterone (blood taken AM).
2. Thyroid - Mostly subclinical hypothyroid (underactive) but actually went hyperthyroid (overactive) for a month following dangerous antibiotics.
3. Sex Hormones - High SHBG, high Prolactin.

I've tried supplements like DHEA and SAM-E which both made me very stressed and short-tempered. I seem to have improvements from 100% pure orange juice (cheap supermarket brand not the expensive Tropicana stuff).

I'm now looking at supplements that could lower stress hormones so I've ordered some Sensoril Ashwagandha from the brand Time Health. Will test this over the next 2 weeks.
Disclaimer: Please research all supplements thoroughly and take them at your own risk. I am not responsible for any adverse reaction you may suffer.

Avoid all Fluoroquinolone antibiotics including Ciprofloxacin, Levaquin and Avelox.

Journey

• MM group
  • INTP, 19 y.o. aware of POIS since 2019
Re: Hormone Imbalance
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2020, 07:24:40 AM »
Look into Ray Peat principles-it's focused on lowering stress hormones boosting metabolism.

berlin1984

• Administrator
  • Use Adaptogens and Antioxidants, they can help.
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2021, 12:36:16 PM »
Journey, I've digged into Ray Peat recently (came through it via the croissant diet / Anti-PUFA stuff) and have to say it's very interesting.
I think I feel better by drinking more orange juice and (goat) milk. Even tried it as a post-pack :-)
For some reason, I can handle more lactose again and I also don't get skin issues from goat milk (but do get it from cow products).

Journey, what are your takeaways fromit?

Boosting metabolism and avoiding stress hormones really seem good for POIS.

Journey

• MM group
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2021, 08:54:47 PM »
Journey, I've digged into Ray Peat recently (came through it via the croissant diet / Anti-PUFA stuff) and have to say it's very interesting.
I think I feel better by drinking more orange juice and (goat) milk. Even tried it as a post-pack :-)
For some reason, I can handle more lactose again and I also don't get skin issues from goat milk (but do get it from cow products).

Journey, what are your takeaways fromit?

Boosting metabolism and avoiding stress hormones really seem good for POIS.
It has helped me

berlin1984

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2021, 03:56:22 PM »
Look into Ray Peat principles-it's focused on lowering stress hormones boosting metabolism.

Related post I dug up:
my POIS is way more manageable since I got my diet dialed. I eat tons of salt when I'm in a POIS state, 2 tablespoons in a cup of water and i sip that all day. This had a major effect on the intensity of the symptoms. Extra cholesterol (saturated fat, not poly unsaturated which is extremely oxidizing and can cause insulin resistance) converts to pregnenolone which then converts to steroid hormones, this helps keep stress down. Sugar also has protective properties on cells during stress, so i put extra sugar and cream in my coffee. Aspirin helps inflammation. Look into Ray Peats work, the guy is a genius and his work seriously helps POIS.

I wonder if nearly everything in POIS at least for certain percentage of people can be explained by the slowed down metabolism or are a correlation of it, together with the hormone problems...
Less detox, less regeneration, impaired gut transit (creating more SIBO),...

demografx

• Administrator
  • All of us working together to defeat POIS!
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2021, 04:04:02 PM »

I wonder if nearly everything in POIS at least for certain percentage of people can be explained by the slowed down metabolism or are a correlation of it, together with the hormone problems...

That’s been my theory since the forums began in 2007.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2021, 04:06:17 PM by demografx »
10 years of significant POIS-reduction, treatment consisting of daily (365 days/year) testosterone patches.

TRT must be checked out carefully with your doctor due to fertility, cardiac and other risks.

40+ years of severe 4-days-POIS, married, raised a family, started/ran a business

Journey

• MM group
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2021, 11:41:42 AM »

Related post I dug up:
my POIS is way more manageable since I got my diet dialed. I eat tons of salt when I'm in a POIS state, 2 tablespoons in a cup of water and i sip that all day. This had a major effect on the intensity of the symptoms. Extra cholesterol (saturated fat, not poly unsaturated which is extremely oxidizing and can cause insulin resistance) converts to pregnenolone which then converts to steroid hormones, this helps keep stress down. Sugar also has protective properties on cells during stress, so i put extra sugar and cream in my coffee. Aspirin helps inflammation. Look into Ray Peats work, the guy is a genius and his work seriously helps POIS.

Less detox, less regeneration, impaired gut transit (creating more SIBO),...
Any POISer tried Thyroid therapy? Ray Peat teachings might help POISers a lot

Recent ME/CFS study found cell oxygen utilization blockage due to an autoimmune reaction

BoneBroth

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2021, 12:12:20 PM »
I wonder why so much salt (2 table spoons = 36 gram a day) has effect on POIS. I have salt on the list on how to increase blood pressure, which might be good when you have POIS. I experience very low blood pressure on POIS. Maybe it has to do with kidney inflammation. So maybe the salt artificially keeps the blood pressure up. And that might increase blood circulation and speed up the healing process. Constricted blood vessels are also not leaking substances in to the tissue and might stop migrain and headache.

I just use to take one half of a tea spoon when I have POIS. Maybe I should try a higher dose. Salt is of cource also good for the stommach acid, which controls the bad bacteria in the small intestine.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2021, 12:14:59 PM by BoneBroth »

berlin1984

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2021, 12:49:55 PM »
The post was written in december, so maybe that person was still in summer-mode where he craved those minerals?
Now in december might be different.

Hard to know, the user did not login for many years :-[

berlin1984

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2021, 12:59:32 PM »
Any POISer tried Thyroid therapy? Ray Peat teachings might help POISers a lot

i didn't try supplements or medication yet, however I follow the diet advices from this Peat-inspired book: https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=kate+deering+how+to+heal+your+metabolism
So far it works very good for general energy, can't say definitely yet how it influences POIS but it might be improving even more than with my general no-PUFA-since-some-months.
Diet summary: No PUFA, eat saturated fat, no nuts, no seeds, no vegetables (cucumbers are ok), potatoe are ok, take more carots, fruits are very good, honey is fine, drink juices, meat is fine if grassfed, eggs, fish is good if not farmed with PUFAs, (...)

This blog post unrelated to that book might also give a good overview: https://men-elite.com/2021/06/12/the-man-with-the-biggest-influence-in-the-health-industry-but-whose-name-is-never-mentioned/
https://raypeatforum.com/wiki/index.php/FAQ