Author Topic: Social impairment during POIS - anyone else experience this?  (Read 10660 times)

LookingForACure

Social impairment during POIS - anyone else experience this?
« on: September 21, 2020, 04:10:44 PM »
Hello everyone! One of my major POIS symptoms, and the first one I was ever aware of, is social impairment. I find that after an orgasm, I am very awkward/low energy in conversations. I struggle to come up with things to say, don't feel like I connect with people, find that my timing is off and I will sometimes interrupt people etc.

On my good days out of POIS, I find that conversations 'feel' natural. I don't have to explicitly think of things to say, because the words come right to mind. As a result, I am much more animated, responsive, and fun, and people seem to enjoy being around me much more. I find myself connecting with friends in a different way and meeting new people. And this doesn't seem to only be subjective - every single girl I have ever dated, I met while on a streak of at least 10 days. Furthermore, when I went to college, I made a ton of friends in the first month, coinciding with my first ever month-long streak of abstinence. For comparison, when I went to a high school in a new district and was masturbating daily, it took me over a year to make any friends.

I have only seen people describe similar issues with social impairment a couple times, so I wanted to get a sense of whether I truly am alone in this. I want to be clear that what I am experiencing is *not* social anxiety, which I see frequently mentioned as a symptom. Unfortunately, my impairment is bad enough that I avoid social situations in the three to four days following orgasm, which really dampens my quality of life.

If anyone does have similar symptoms, I have had some success with a few different treatments. Adderall in particular is able to effectively mitigate my symptoms as long as I am at least ~24 hours past orgasm. Caffeine helps me in a similar way to adderall, as does nicotine, but the magnitude of the relief is less. Cardiovascular exercise (moderate intensity, too intense and I feel worse) also seems to help, though generally I would say I need to be about ~48 hours past orgasm for this to bring me up to acceptable levels. Beyond that, the closest thing I've found to a consistent solution is unfortunately abstinence, but that seems to be par for the course in this illness  :).

Additionally, I want to thank everyone for their contributions to this forum. I made an introduction post a year and a half ago, but haven't been to active since. I have been lurking however, and have learned a lot from everyone's experience.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 04:26:31 PM by LookingForACure »

Muon

• MCAD Thread
Re: Social impairment during POIS - anyone else experience this?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2020, 04:22:20 PM »
Tip: If you go to profile at the top of the page ---> forum profile---> signature--->you can put the link to your case description in this box so it will end up like you see at the bottom of my message.

LookingForACure

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2020, 04:26:52 PM »
Tip: If you go to profile at the top of the page ---> forum profile---> signature--->you can put the link to your case description in this box so it will end up like you see at the bottom of my message.

Awesome, I will do this when I get a chance. Thanks for the tip!

Kit

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2020, 05:34:18 PM »
Hi Lookingforacure. I feel the same way. For me, I find socializing alot easier after 4 days of abstinence. I can still have a decent conversation during 2-4 days of abstinence and yes they can be awkward or "anxiety provoking" sometimes, but I try not stress out about it too much because I know it's POIS and not me. I'm glad to here I'm not the only with this problem! I was going to try Adderall on July, but I found out I was Vit D deficient on the same week, so I decided to go with Vit D treatment first before I tried it any medications like Adderall or clonezapam.

ramore

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2020, 12:32:33 AM »
I have exactly this.

Journey

• MM group
  • INTP, 19 y.o. aware of POIS since 2019
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2020, 01:32:38 AM »
POIS lowers natural flow 4 me, slow mind-hard 2 come up with ideas, lower voice volume so need to resay, miss out cues as mind misses some details in general.

Clues

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2020, 01:35:07 AM »
LookingForACure, I get exactly the same symptom. Next to mood swings and fatigue, it's one of the worst symptoms for me. Thanks for describing it so succinctly.

The effect is really really strong as well -- I can go from sociable, funny and charming on my best days, to just a grumpy bore of a space cadet on my worst. I'm having a bit of success lessening my POIS symptoms these days, and social abilities is one of my main metrics for gauging how I'm doing, because the difference used to be so distinct.

This especially really hits the nail on the head for me:

On my good days out of POIS, I find that conversations 'feel' natural. I don't have to explicitly think of things to say, because the words come right to mind.

On a bad day, I can be in a conversation and my mind is just blank. No reply or conversation topic comes to mind naturally; I have to actively dig to find something to say, and it feels almost physically painful. I also have trouble parsing the words of anyone talking. It's as if the words just wash over me and don't really register. Even the sound of the voices can sound grating. Somehow tinny and reverberating.

Really good point that this is not the same as social anxiety. However, personally I do also have a bit of social anxiety, which I suspect comes from a subconscious fear of slipping into space cadet mode due to some sort of trigger I missed.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 01:38:32 AM by Clues »

Prospero

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2020, 11:49:28 AM »
Same experience here. This social impairment seems to be linked, at least in my case, to a deprivation of energy, happiness, strength and mental alertness - an inability to 'feel' my moral, intellectual and physical strength, and the soft euphoria which normally accompanies this feeling. After an orgasm, I feel emptied, slowed down, weakened, and socially unfit, it seems closely connected. Too much of this and I have also 'true' social anxiety, which is also linked to the fact that since I have POIS my physical development seems to have brutally stopped, and I have developed a kind of social complex due to my physical inferiority to others.

I shall add however that this was my condition a few years ago. Now I have become so sensitive (POIS is triggered by a few seconds of arousal), and POIS episodes have become so long (many weeks) that I don't experience complete remission anymore, even after one year and a half of complete abstinence, and can barely remember what it was to be socially at ease, agreeable and happy. I miss the good ol' days of high school when I had friends and only needed not to masturbate for several days in order to be full of energy, joy and sociability...
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 11:52:05 AM by Prospero »

Nas

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2020, 12:54:13 PM »
Yeah if I can just not get the social impairment symptom I can deal with the rest.

Journey

• MM group
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2020, 12:57:27 PM »
Same experience here. This social impairment seems to be linked, at least in my case, to a deprivation of energy, happiness, strength and mental alertness - an inability to 'feel' my moral, intellectual and physical strength, and the soft euphoria which normally accompanies this feeling. After an orgasm, I feel emptied, slowed down, weakened, and socially unfit, it seems closely connected. Too much of this and I have also 'true' social anxiety, which is also linked to the fact that since I have POIS my physical development seems to have brutally stopped, and I have developed a kind of social complex due to my physical inferiority to others.

I shall add however that this was my condition a few years ago. Now I have become so sensitive (POIS is triggered by a few seconds of arousal), and POIS episodes have become so long (many weeks) that I don't experience complete remission anymore, even after one year and a half of complete abstinence, and can barely remember what it was to be socially at ease, agreeable and happy. I miss the good ol' days of high school when I had friends and only needed not to masturbate for several days in order to be full of energy, joy and sociability...
What POIS changed physically?

Prospero

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2020, 03:31:08 PM »
It didn't *change* anything, but I became unable to get additional weight or muscle, and it looks like several parts of my body never fully developed (my chest,...). I'm 23 and I have the same weight and build as when I was 15 or 16, that is, when I began to experience symptoms that I now interpret as being the first signs of POIS. There were periods when I was trying to do some serious physical exercise in the meantime, though later on my POIS made me quite intolerant to sport, but it changed nothing. I did not gain a single kilogram. To be sure, I'm not 100% sure that POIS is responsible, but I've read that I'm not alone in that case here.

But it seems that we're digressing from the subject matter of the topic.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 03:37:16 PM by Prospero »

LookingForACure

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2020, 12:32:55 AM »
I am pretty shocked by how many people are experiencing the same thing. Social impairment is not really a symptom I've seen described in any other condition, unlike other POIS symptoms like brain fog, irritability, depression etc. It's unique enough that I wonder if our POIS cases have a common pathophysiology. It would be unlikely for two separate disease states to lead to the same rare symptom.

In addition to shock however, I feel very comforted that I am not the only one experiencing this. No one I have ever talked to in my life has understood this issue when I have explained it to them.

I have been thinking the last few days about how much these symptoms affect me. I have lived with them for so long that I don't really know any other life. But it is completely abnormal not to be able to socialize most of the time. I find that lack of meaningful social contact can lead to depression, and trouble maintaining and building friendships and relationships.

Hi Lookingforacure. I feel the same way. For me, I find socializing alot easier after 4 days of abstinence. I can still have a decent conversation during 2-4 days of abstinence and yes they can be awkward or "anxiety provoking" sometimes, but I try not stress out about it too much because I know it's POIS and not me. I'm glad to here I'm not the only with this problem! I was going to try Adderall on July, but I found out I was Vit D deficient on the same week, so I decided to go with Vit D treatment first before I tried it any medications like Adderall or clonezapam.

For me generally I became minimally functional in the 2-4 days period. As in, I won't make friends, but I also won't be painfully awkward and can deal with short interactions (though exercise can make this period much better). Around day 5 or 6, I typically get a pretty significant boost. From there on out, things are generally better, but can go pretty wild. Sometimes I can consistently have a couple weeks where I am feeling comfortable socially, but I also occasionally will find myself getting POIS symptoms, including social impairment, at random times during long periods of abstinence. I am trying to work out what triggers my orgasmless POIS symptoms.

I would strongly recommend at least giving adderall a try. While in the end, it wasn't a long-term solution for me, it comes in handy for job interviews and unexpected social events. My lack of consistent success with adderall may also have been because as I felt better, I masturbated more. As tolerance developed, its possible that the increase in POIS counteracted the positive effects of the adderall. I think there is a small chance that adderall could be a long-term solution if I avoided this pattern.

Also, you are very right not to stress out about these social situations. I find that I'm hard on myself sometimes. But I shouldn't be - I'm dealing with an extremely challenging illness and its not my fault if I struggle to converse sometimes!

LookingForACure, I get exactly the same symptom. Next to mood swings and fatigue, it's one of the worst symptoms for me. Thanks for describing it so succinctly.

The effect is really really strong as well -- I can go from sociable, funny and charming on my best days, to just a grumpy bore of a space cadet on my worst. I'm having a bit of success lessening my POIS symptoms these days, and social abilities is one of my main metrics for gauging how I'm doing, because the difference used to be so distinct.

This especially really hits the nail on the head for me:

On my good days out of POIS, I find that conversations 'feel' natural. I don't have to explicitly think of things to say, because the words come right to mind.

On a bad day, I can be in a conversation and my mind is just blank. No reply or conversation topic comes to mind naturally; I have to actively dig to find something to say, and it feels almost physically painful. I also have trouble parsing the words of anyone talking. It's as if the words just wash over me and don't really register. Even the sound of the voices can sound grating. Somehow tinny and reverberating.

Really good point that this is not the same as social anxiety. However, personally I do also have a bit of social anxiety, which I suspect comes from a subconscious fear of slipping into space cadet mode due to some sort of trigger I missed.

We definitely have the same issue. It's hard knowing who I'm capable of being, when only through great struggle can I manage to get a couple days a month at my best. I agree with the parsing issues as well. For me, this is not just auditory - it also applies to reading, or anything that requires information processing.

It's also interesting that you use social abilities to gauge POIS. For me, this is far and away the most reliable indicator, as I do not have physical symptoms. For a long time, I didn't know that I had any other symptoms!

I am curious what you have found most effective or reducing social POIS (or any POIS, if you find that your symptoms tend to correlate)? I see mentions in your history of mercury detox and an MCAS-friendly diet.

Hi Prospero, I have great empathy for your condition. It can be very difficult to deal with a debilitating disease that only gets worse. I also, like you, get symptoms from arousal, though typically it must be prolonged. I have found that abstinence, though still helpful and necessary, is not as reliable for me as it used to be. There was a time when I felt great on day 3! Nonetheless, we must keep pushing for a solution.

It didn't *change* anything, but I became unable to get additional weight or muscle, and it looks like several parts of my body never fully developed (my chest,...). I'm 23 and I have the same weight and build as when I was 15 or 16, that is, when I began to experience symptoms that I now interpret as being the first signs of POIS. There were periods when I was trying to do some serious physical exercise in the meantime, though later on my POIS made me quite intolerant to sport, but it changed nothing. I did not gain a single kilogram. To be sure, I'm not 100% sure that POIS is responsible, but I've read that I'm not alone in that case here.

This to me sounds like a hormonal issue, which are a known cause of POIS. Its possible that the POIS didn't cause your slow development; rather, something like low testosterone caused both problems. Demografx, one of the main moderators on this forum, has dramatically reduced his symptoms with TRT. I would recommend reading this thread: https://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=17.0

Clues

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2020, 02:09:21 AM »
I am trying to work out what triggers my orgasmless POIS symptoms.

Just a tip: I'd look into common MCAS triggers and see if anything resonates. Exercise, certain foods, extreme heat or cold, stress, etc.

I find that I'm hard on myself sometimes. But I shouldn't be - I'm dealing with an extremely challenging illness and its not my fault if I struggle to converse sometimes!

The fact that it's not a recognised diagnosis, and that people don't necessarily want to know about your sexual health, means it can be a lonely struggle. Just the mere fact of someone knowing and understanding your struggles helps, but it can be hard to find that person you want to share with. Only my wife knew about it until I told a good friend a few months ago. And I'm 40!

I've felt a lot of shame over appearing dumb or "out of it" in various social contexts over the years. But I've gotten better at lowering the bar and accepting that I have a serious disorder.

We definitely have the same issue. It's hard knowing who I'm capable of being, when only through great struggle can I manage to get a couple days a month at my best. I agree with the parsing issues as well. For me, this is not just auditory - it also applies to reading, or anything that requires information processing.

Yep same here, reading is also harder for example.

I am curious what you have found most effective or reducing social POIS (or any POIS, if you find that your symptoms tend to correlate)? I see mentions in your history of mercury detox and an MCAS-friendly diet.

Abstinence helps a lot. When it comes to actually finding a cure, I'm exploring MCAS because my triggers and symptoms correspond very well with common MCAS triggers and symptoms. So I'm avoiding those triggers, but also deliberately consuming food and supplements known to reduce mast cell activity. This has greatly improved my digestion, which seems to correlate closely with my POIS. In addition, since I nearly always have some symptoms regardless of triggers, I suspect something is triggering my mast cells perpetually. Likely culprits AFAIK include infections and toxins. In my case I suspect mercury as I've ruled out a lot of infections and I'm reacting positively to chlorella, which is proven to be effective at removing mercury. More info in my post history. But please remember I'm no doctor or researcher! Just experimenting based on my limited understanding.

Journey

• MM group
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2020, 02:54:11 AM »

I'm 19, my weight's same as when I was 16 but chest, shoulder development, overall development has increased but feel as it could be more.

Journey

• MM group
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2020, 03:02:30 AM »
This to me sounds like a hormonal issue, which are a known cause of POIS. Its possible that the POIS didn't cause your slow development; rather, something like low testosterone caused both problems.
Or POIS taxes body leaving less for growth. There are many with hypogonadism without POIS. My T when I was 17 was 475ng/dl although has to be higher it isn't in deficiency range at least I don't got usual lowT signs except hard to put on muscle (could be that default I eat in maintenance, rarely reach surplus as I don't feel need to eat that much and my stomach tends to fill easy) but ik some who could gain mass on 200ng/dl.

Prospero

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2020, 05:40:09 AM »
This to me sounds like a hormonal issue, which are a known cause of POIS. Its possible that the POIS didn't cause your slow development; rather, something like low testosterone caused both problems. Demografx, one of the main moderators on this forum, has dramatically reduced his symptoms with TRT. I would recommend reading this thread: https://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=17.0
My testosterone and free testosterone levels are normal (and even rather in the high norm).

For me generally I became minimally functional in the 2-4 days period. As in, I won't make friends, but I also won't be painfully awkward and can deal with short interactions (though exercise can make this period much better). Around day 5 or 6, I typically get a pretty significant boost. From there on out, things are generally better, but can go pretty wild. Sometimes I can consistently have a couple weeks where I am feeling comfortable socially, but I also occasionally will find myself getting POIS symptoms, including social impairment, at random times during long periods of abstinence. I am trying to work out what triggers my orgasmless POIS symptoms.

It's also interesting that you use social abilities to gauge POIS. For me, this is far and away the most reliable indicator, as I do not have physical symptoms. For a long time, I didn't know that I had any other symptoms!
I can countersign a lot of your sentences.
For my part I have no other trigger than orgasm, arousal and physical effort, but I'm very sensitive. To vacuum my room or think for a few seconds about a girl can induce a mild-to-intermediary POIS state, which might potentially generate different waves of symptoms as time passes.
Social abilities are indeed a very reliable indicator of POIS, but now this indicator is always 'on', so in order to monitor my condition I also use my heart rythm (POIS produces sinusal tachycardia for me), my digestion (constipation or not) and my nervosity (when I'm healed I feel much more relaxed, I guess that my sympathetic nervous system is constantly overstimulated in POIS).

I am curious what you have found most effective or reducing social POIS (or any POIS, if you find that your symptoms tend to correlate)?
As for me, I have good results since mid-August with a daily supplementation of Omega-3 (EPA 400 mg, DHA 200 mg) and vitamin D3 (800 UI, my tests showed that I had a deficiency), which significantly reduced my now-permanent physical symptoms (in particular sinusal tachycardia) as well as the duration of post-orgasmic 'hard-POIS' periods. I guess it's the anti-inflammatory effect.
I have also benefited from taking flaxseed oil (1000 mg) daily in July, which nuked all my POIS symptoms and my constipation, but after a week it ceased working and normal POIS returned.
Recently I have discovered that taking 500 mg of Paracetamol immediately after a nocturnal emission, and then sleeping for some time, was very efficient to prevent a POIS crisis. I'm still tired and a bit weakened the day after, but nothing comparable with what I suffer usually. I'll try to concoct a pre-pack taking this into account and see its effects on a deliberate orgasm.

BUT, the point I wanted to make is that all this did not suppress the 'social impairment' problem (and the depressed mood/lack of psychological well-being that is coterminous to it). To be sure, it softened the 'hard' social impairment which comes with the first days of acute POIS, but it didn't bring back the state of complete remission, both physical and psychological/social, that I experienced in former years after a week of POIS or so. So even if I'm feeling better with my current supplementation, I know that POIS is still here.

Journey

• MM group
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2020, 06:15:23 AM »
My testosterone and free testosterone levels are normal (and even rather in the high norm).

I can countersign a lot of your sentences.
For my part I have no other trigger than orgasm, arousal and physical effort, but I'm very sensitive. To vacuum my room or think for a few seconds about a girl can induce a mild-to-intermediary POIS state, which might potentially generate different waves of symptoms as time passes.
Social abilities are indeed a very reliable indicator of POIS, but now this indicator is always 'on', so in order to monitor my condition I also use my heart rythm (POIS produces sinusal tachycardia for me), my digestion (constipation or not) and my nervosity (when I'm healed I feel much more relaxed, I guess that my sympathetic nervous system is constantly overstimulated in POIS).

I am curious what you have found most effective or reducing social POIS (or any POIS, if you find that your symptoms tend to correlate)?
As for me, I have good results since mid-August with a daily supplementation of Omega-3 (EPA 400 mg, DHA 200 mg) and vitamin D3 (800 UI, my tests showed that I had a deficiency), which significantly reduced my now-permanent physical symptoms (in particular sinusal tachycardia) as well as the duration of post-orgasmic 'hard-POIS' periods. I guess it's the anti-inflammatory effect.
I have also benefited from taking flaxseed oil (1000 mg) daily in July, which nuked all my POIS symptoms and my constipation, but after a week it ceased working and normal POIS returned.
Recently I have discovered that taking 500 mg of Paracetamol immediately after a nocturnal emission, and then sleeping for some time, was very efficient to prevent a POIS crisis. I'm still tired and a bit weakened the day after, but nothing comparable with what I suffer usually. I'll try to concoct a pre-pack taking this into account and see its effects on a deliberate orgasm.

BUT, the point I wanted to make is that all this did not suppress the 'social impairment' problem (and the depressed mood/lack of psychological well-being that is coterminous to it). To be sure, it softened the 'hard' social impairment which comes with the first days of acute POIS, but it didn't bring back the state of complete remission, both physical and psychological/social, that I experienced in former years after a week of POIS or so. So even if I'm feeling better with my current supplementation, I know that POIS is still here.
I too got ok T, the lower growth might be due to body focusing on pois instead of growing.

Nas

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2020, 08:20:39 AM »
Do you guys describe your selves as hypersensitive personalities? Like small things that shouldn't matter, matter to you and make you react inflammatorily?

If yes check this out: My Hypersensitivity Is Real: Why Highly Sensitive People Have ADHD

My father's side relatives are very sensitive people and that gets them into lots of trouble. My father still has ADHD at age 65; he can't figure out how to open a bag of chips and gets easily pissed off at for example.

Perhaps we suffer from a type of ADHD that makes us sensitive to strong dopaminergic stimuli such as sex due to bad dopamine levels in general.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 08:27:54 AM by Nas »

Muon

• MCAD Thread
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2020, 08:42:12 AM »
My father's side relatives are very sensitive people and that gets them into lots of trouble. My father still has ADHD at age 65; he can't figure out how to open a bag of chips and gets easily pissed off at for example.

Perhaps we suffer from a type of ADHD that makes us sensitive to strong dopaminergic stimuli such as sex due to bad dopamine levels in general.

I wonder if your father and relatives suffer from premature ejaculation.

Journey

• MM group
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2020, 10:42:56 AM »
Do you guys describe your selves as hypersensitive personalities?
I got low latent inhibition meaning mind filters out less stimuli e.g. many talking, I can't focus fully as my mind still processes sounds around even if I'm focused on 1 thing, I notice audial/visual changes faster due to it, in home I hear what others do, sounds outside, as long as it's in range I do, I don't get overstimulated unless it reaches certain barrier/length of time, I haven't had meltdown anything like that in asd, it's just filtration that's lower. Younger I'd react more to things that upset me, would feel it for longer time, it lingered in mind and I'd need time to shift to another state of mind, I've become calmer tho.