Author Topic: POIS caused dehydration? And water won?t help  (Read 4284 times)

DEANNX

POIS caused dehydration? And water won?t help
« on: June 07, 2020, 05:15:38 AM »
Hi

I noticed many of my POIS symptoms are just signs of dehydration: dry skins, dry mouth, low fever, sagging face, sunken skin, always thirsty. These can last for months. And no matter how much water I drink, I still feel dehydrated.

So maybe POIS somehow prevent our body from absorbing enough water?

What do you think? If anyone found way to hydrated the body during POIS please share.

Thanks
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 05:17:19 AM by DEANNX »

Muon

• MCAD Thread
Re: POIS caused dehydration? And water won?t help
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2020, 05:54:07 AM »
At POTS fora they use gatorade for dehydration. It isn't POIS but sharing anyway. I'm only thirsty when I'm transitioning out of POIS. Perhaps something going on with osmotic regulation.

drop247

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2020, 06:17:17 AM »
I'm the opposite. I can only remember being thirsty once maybe in the last month or two. I just have water to help wash the food down and that's it.

berlin1984

• Administrator
  • Use Adaptogens and Antioxidants, they can help.
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2020, 07:53:42 AM »
This sentence from Wikipedia sounds interesting: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thirst
"Thirst quenching varies among animal species, with dogs, camels, sheep, goats, and deer replacing fluid deficits quickly when water is available, whereas humans and horses may need hours to restore fluid balance."

I also feel quite thirsty, but that's maybe because it's my learned(?) way of trying to get the day-after headache away. (Also craving cola and coffee).

Isn't thirst sometimes also the craving for some minerals? The pages about ketogenic diet (which i'm not doing) always say if you go keto, you will pee a lot of minerals out and feel thirsty.

Maybe worth to experiment with creatine which puts water in your muscles.

Or maybe thirst is just the body's way of trying to dilute something?
'Scombroid poisoning is an extreme reaction to spoiled fish that is very high in histamine, typically greater than 500 mg/kg:
?The onset of Scombroid poisoning is typically from 10 min to 1 h following consumption of poisonous fish. The symptoms are variable and include peppery or metallic taste, oral numbness, headache, dizziness, palpitations, rapid and weak pulse (low blood pressure), difficulty in swallowing, and thirst.'
https://www.diagnosisdiet.com/full-article/histamine-intolerance-science

"Research has shown that histamine is released as part of the human orgasm from mast cells in the genitals"
https://psychology.wikia.org/wiki/Histamine

"It has been shown in animal studies that histamine will decrease with water intake and increase with dehydration. Upping your water intake can help alleviate allergies and asthma within one to four weeks states Dr. B."
https://www.joyoushealth.com/11924-blog-dehydration-your-allergies

DEANNX

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2020, 08:04:34 AM »
This sentence from Wikipedia sounds interesting: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thirst
"Thirst quenching varies among animal species, with dogs, camels, sheep, goats, and deer replacing fluid deficits quickly when water is available, whereas humans and horses may need hours to restore fluid balance."

I also feel quite thirsty, but that's maybe because it's my learned(?) way of trying to get the day-after headache away. (Also craving cola and coffee).

Isn't thirst sometimes also the craving for some minerals? The pages about ketogenic diet (which i'm not doing) always say if you go keto, you will pee a lot of minerals out and feel thirsty.

Maybe worth to experiment with creatine which puts water in your muscles.

Or maybe thirst is just the body's way of trying to dilute something?
'Scombroid poisoning is an extreme reaction to spoiled fish that is very high in histamine, typically greater than 500 mg/kg:
?The onset of Scombroid poisoning is typically from 10 min to 1 h following consumption of poisonous fish. The symptoms are variable and include peppery or metallic taste, oral numbness, headache, dizziness, palpitations, rapid and weak pulse (low blood pressure), difficulty in swallowing, and thirst.'
https://www.diagnosisdiet.com/full-article/histamine-intolerance-science

"Research has shown that histamine is released as part of the human orgasm from mast cells in the genitals"
https://psychology.wikia.org/wiki/Histamine

"It has been shown in animal studies that histamine will decrease with water intake and increase with dehydration. Upping your water intake can help alleviate allergies and asthma within one to four weeks states Dr. B."
https://www.joyoushealth.com/11924-blog-dehydration-your-allergies

I tried increase water intake but didnt seem to help, I am guessing maybe POIS somehow prevent our body from absorbing fluid???
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 09:09:52 AM by DEANNX »

Muon

• MCAD Thread
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2020, 08:21:32 AM »
"The RAS also acts on the CNS to increase water intake by stimulating thirst"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renin

berlin1984

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2023, 08:05:48 AM »
This book chapter about hydration (referenced by Muon for POTS, not POIS) I found useful:

It increases blood plasma volume. Also standard management for POTS btw: Page 199.

I also like this thread: https://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=3108

berlin1984

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2023, 08:08:48 AM »
I'm the opposite. I can only remember being thirsty once maybe in the last month or two. I just have water to help wash the food down and that's it.

Quote from the book linked on post above:
Many people with PoTS appear to have relative “thirstless-
ness” and need prompting to eat and drink.
Keeping a food diary can be useful as can hav-
ing prompts to eat and drink on mobile phone
apps.

Joan

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2023, 06:33:39 PM »
I think it may be a bad idea to use such an old post, but I wanted to say that for my POIS (which type I don't know) I also suffer Dehydration, and drinking doesn't solve it. But in my case it may be related to some digestive problem I don't know; it seems I also have Lactose Intolerance or something similar as eating dairy stops my stomach and causes diarrhea (strangely, pois also seems like causing me some kind of stomach stop). I can distingish between them, because if its milk I use Lactase (Enzyme) and cures and prevents the milk induced problem, but not the POIS induced digestive problem.

Regarding the Dehydration, I said that it may be digestive, but I think is more probable that some hormonary thing is affetced, because drinknig more water, leads to more urination (I'm not 100% sure), it doesn't solve the Dehydration; it's like using diuretics.

In my case theese dehydration symptoms appear hours after ejaculation, and dissappear 1 day or more after. (I think Depression, brain fog, concentration problems, and other effects remain more time)

Anecdotically, when I'm feeling down I have a strange impulse to do caresses, or be caressed; and also a craving for romantic stories (I never had a partner). Tipically I don't read romantic stories  in that moments, because I feel too depressed and with a desmotivational blocking to do anything.

Muon

• MCAD Thread
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2023, 10:19:47 AM »
I haven't measured my blood pressure more than a few times in my life, so I don't think I have the necessary info to answer this poll, but I wanted to add something here. After I developed exercise intolerance and my POIS symptoms sort of shifted, in POIS mode I have a tendency to become severely dehydrated and have my blood pressure drop (as a consequence of dehydration, I believe, experiencing a wave of nausea, dizziness and cold sweat all over, with a horrible sensation of sickness). This happens around day 7 of POIS. I feel as if during a POIS episode my body was stuck with a very high metabolic rate, consuming nutrients and water at a crazy pace, but this is just my guess. The only thing I can be sure of is that I become very dehydrated even when my water intake doesn't change (1.5-2 liters per day). I have to drink big amounts of water to correct the situation, around 3-4 liters, twice what I normally need, and as soon as I do this the pressure drop episodes disappear.

Hopeoneday

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2023, 11:19:09 AM »
https://forums.phoenixrising.me/threads/new-book-about-thirst-in-me-cfs.90710/
Hypovolemic thirst in POIS? Posible..
Pois some times act like i am in late stage of cancer and
dying in desert combined  ;D
Dr-pois.

berlin1984

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2023, 01:54:40 AM »
Very interesting. Bought the book and started reading through it yesterday.
My blood natrium values are also on the lower end of normal.

He is proposing oral rehydration solution (ideally with Dextrose instead of glucose).

Anecdotally, this is what helps me:
* Eating Salami/Frankfurter/Wiener sausage and drinking alcohol free beer bix (beer + lemonade)
* Drinking goat milk
* Gatorade or Powerade

gzbking

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2023, 11:56:04 AM »
just get a kidney function test you fill see if you are loosing electrolytes, or if you mean you have low water content in general that means your kidney is leaking and thats pretty much unlikely and if drinking water is not helping then wtf is going on man

Frank

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2023, 02:00:45 AM »
The dryness symptoms could be related to an autoimmune condition know as Sj?gren syndrome (Sjogren). I have observed very similar symptoms.

Symptoms vary from person to person but may include:

Neurological problems, concentration/memory-loss, ?brain fog?, dysautonomia, headaches
Dry eyes, corneal ulcerations and infections
Dry nose, recurrent sinusitis, nosebleeds
Dry mouth, mouth sores, dental decay, difficulty with chewing, speech, taste and dentures
Swollen, painful parotid/salivary glands
Difficulty swallowing, heartburn, reflux, esophagitis
Fatigue, vasculitis, lymphoma, dry skin, skin sensitivity to UV light
Recurrent bronchitis, interstitial lung disease, pneumonia
Arthritis, joint/muscle pain
Abnormal liver function tests, chronic active autoimmune hepatitis, primary biliary cholangitis
Peripheral neuropathy, Raynaud?s
Stomach upset, gastroparesis, autoimmune pancreatitis
Irritable bowel, autoimmune gastrointestinal dysmotility
Interstitial cystitis, interstitial nephritis including renal tubular acidosis, glomerulonephritis
Vaginal dryness, vulvodynia; chronic prostatitis

https://sjogrens.org/understanding-sjogrens/symptoms