Author Topic: Pepto Bismol removed symptoms completely  (Read 25566 times)

CharlesB

Re: Pepto Bismol removed symptoms completely
« Reply #80 on: August 31, 2020, 08:58:19 PM »
There are papers which describe adverse effects of long term bismuth intake. Just look at literature.

Agree 100% - I?ve mentioned in previous posts that I?m looking for an alternative Cox-2 inhibitor such as white willow bark that does not inhibit cox1 (the body breaks the subsalicylate in pepto into salicylic acid, which only targets Cox2 pathways.  The acetyl-salicylate in aspirin targets both, potentially causing extra gi issues).

Hopefully something like willlow bark would not have the risk profile of long term pepto use, but I?ll have to see if it even works for me before worrying about that.

CharlesB

« Reply #81 on: August 31, 2020, 09:04:23 PM »
The Pepto Bismol arrived today. So you have to take it two weeks before it works?

No need to take for two weeks - that was just part of my anecdote about how I first discovered that it worked for me.  It?s probably different for everyone, but I found that if I have a dose in the morning and then one at lunch, then that afternoon I am good to go with no symptoms.  This is based on just continual trial and error.

I know someone else mentioned they were fine after just one dose and waiting an hour.

Pepto is definitely something that is not meant to be taken daily for a long period of time - so I try and keep it to once or maybe twice per week.
Ok so you take 2 Pepto before your sexual activity? Or after on day 1?

All I can say is that for me, I like to take a dose in the morning, and another at lunch, and then wait an hour.  I know someone else on here mentioned just needing a dose and waiting an hour.

What I can say definitively is that I have taken a dose right before or right after O, and not had much success (some relief, but not as much) - so waiting 45 minutes to an hour after taking seems to work much better.

Sorry for the vague answer, but it?s a bit of a guessing game and may be slightly different for everyone.  Good luck!

Vandemolen

« Reply #82 on: September 21, 2020, 06:54:13 PM »
I tried it but it did not help me at all. I took 2 after breakfast and 2 after lunch. I also tried to take 2 before sex.
POIS since 2000. Very bad since 2008. I knew that I have POIS since June 2010. Desensitization since March 2011. I stopped with desens in July 2016. I have 50% less POIS. And only 1 day of POIS. Purified CBD works for me, but I am allergic for CBD.

Journey

• MM group
  • INTP, 19 y.o. aware of POIS since 2019
« Reply #83 on: December 14, 2020, 08:49:20 AM »
Will try that pepto thing, if i find it here in Croatia or Europe, will try Aspirin also, in my case Sibo/low stomach acid is culprit of POIS, what i'm doing to feel better:

1. (Daily!) 2x washing out colon with water(water enema obviously: )) following third enema with 3 drops of Oregano Oil and Grape Seed Extract  (in 300 ml water) which i keep in my colon, not flushing out till the next enema next day.
2. Trying to maintain high stomach acid with Swanson betain hlc + pepsin pills.
3. NUTRIMMUN Probiotik PROTECT in the morning.

Those 3 things are helping the most from 1000 things i tried and almost $3000 that i spent in these 3 years of suffering. I even get to state where i was thinking, where are that POIS effects, where are those nasty feelings, in some moments i was feeling really good, not irritable, not feeling angry, not so self criticizing, free of anxiety, brain fog and other POIS symptoms.

And as soon as i stop taking betain pills (currently stores are out of stock) i get my symptoms back, not so strong effects because enema helps a lot, but they are back.

Oregano Oil and GSE is preventing spreading of bad bacteria in the gut (+ helping liver a lot), and high stomach acid is preventing that undigested food come to the gut and prevents food to ferment in the gut. High stomach acid also kills any bacteria in the gut.

What i think it is happening after ejaculation that when we ejaculate, enormous amount of zinc is depleted, zinc is needed for building strong stomach acid and without zinc we get no high stomach acid and undigested food/pathogens/bacteria is going to the gut and making POIS effects, so absorption of zinc from food is disturbed due to low stomach acid, never ending cycle. Disturbed absorption of zinc is due to heavy toxicity, in my case mercury. I do not know or think of any other reason why metabolism of zinc is disturbed. Bacteria in stomach tend to lower stomach acid so they can multiply. What is weird that i did 3 test of H pylori and no h pylori was found, maybe some other nasty bacteria is doing problems. That's why when we stay longer and longer from ejaculation we are feeling better. Body builds up zinc. (Probably).

"Short-term outcomes of increased pH and decreased acid secretion support zinc's potential use in treatment regimens for gastroesophageal reflux disease. For decades, zinc deficiency has been known to increase gastric mucosal cell apoptosis"

What is funny that not one Zinc suplement did help, but large amount of red meat is helping. Not sure because of zinc in there or antibiotics in meat.

So i read here and on net that pepto bismol is antacid, so it lower stomach acid so how in the hell that can help :), but will try it as soon as i find it.
POIS probably has got nothing to do with nutrient depletion after ejaculation because those amounts are very small and food intake gives several times more and those nutrients in it are already in a finalized state therefore they won't induce any deficiencies because they have already been formalized into the cells that the body has produced and the POIS symptoms appear very fast it would take longer time for the changes due to less Zinc to occur and then produce noticeable effects the POIS mechanism is something that can activate within minutes so it's more likely related to nerves/immunity/muscles/blood vessels and something like that.

berlin1984

• Administrator
  • Use Adaptogens and Antioxidants, they can help.
« Reply #84 on: December 28, 2020, 05:23:41 PM »
Someone from inside EU (excluding UK, yep) please message me on how to get this in Germany.

I had two cases now where the customs don't seem to let me get the package. :-(

Thank you

Going less Crazy

« Reply #85 on: February 19, 2021, 10:53:50 PM »
Interesting topic. I know people with celiac who take Pepto for relief of symptoms like joint and gut pain. I don't remember giving Pepto a try for my celiac?/pois situation that I have. Since reading about it helping you and your gut situation I may try this when I eat a food I have problems with.

If I had to bet it would be the anti-inflammatory actions of the bismuth? causing the symptom relief.

I have tried aspirin before with side effects. The best nsaid for me is Ibuprofen, and I still take that occasionally. Helps with mood reactions to some foods that I get.

Like you Charles, I cannot take vitamin D (can't really take any synthetic vitamins tbh) as it gives me a very hot/caffeinated and uncomfortable feeling. It sucks when you're vitamin D deficient as well.

I do want to give Pepto an honest try in the future for some food reactions I get that cause insomnia and pain when I try different foods. Since people try this for celiac as well I think it's time for me to give it a honest try when I need it.

For those wondering, I'm still 100% pois free and my symptoms completely revolve around food. But I like to constantly experiment with food so I'll get symptoms sometimes... having nothing to do with O. But O does exacerbate symptoms when I get them. If I eat food that messes with my mood I'll take 400 or 600 mg Ibuprofen and that really helps, but not much for insomnia caused by some foods, maybe up to 50% helpful for insomnia. Maybe Pepto could help with insomnia caused by food reactions somewhat? I'll test that out later. It's always nice having things you can take when you experience symptoms. With this evidence coupled with people who have actual celiac that find relief from Pepto I think it's overdue for me to try it when my gut/brain isn't right.

- GLC over pois and out.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 11:07:22 PM by Going less Crazy »
My POIS managed with Diet (@ diet that 100% manages my pois)Believe my POIS stems from inflammation in the gut. O = neuro POIS from inflammation from the gut

supps: microdose zyrtec if needed for food sens. ibuprofen for infl. as needed. Melatonin as needed. Big Pinch Black cumin  seeds once daily

Going less Crazy

« Reply #86 on: February 20, 2021, 11:20:16 PM »
So I figured I'd give Pepto a go last night and it is a no go for me. Gastrointestinal pain lessened but I had a mood reaction to it (hyper-common for me). Perhaps I'm allergic to an added color or one of the 30 inactive ingredients. This led me to look for just the bismuth to try. Anybody have any recommendations?
My POIS managed with Diet (@ diet that 100% manages my pois)Believe my POIS stems from inflammation in the gut. O = neuro POIS from inflammation from the gut

supps: microdose zyrtec if needed for food sens. ibuprofen for infl. as needed. Melatonin as needed. Big Pinch Black cumin  seeds once daily

Charles_b

« Reply #87 on: February 21, 2021, 02:44:41 PM »
You could try Devrom - it?s bismuth subgallate (so no salicylic acid/aspirin).  It takes the edge off for me at a minimum during really bad acute symptoms.

Charles_b

« Reply #88 on: February 21, 2021, 02:47:42 PM »
Interesting topic. I know people with celiac who take Pepto for relief of symptoms like joint and gut pain. I don't remember giving Pepto a try for my celiac?/pois situation that I have. Since reading about it helping you and your gut situation I may try this when I eat a food I have problems with.

If I had to bet it would be the anti-inflammatory actions of the bismuth? causing the symptom relief.

I have tried aspirin before with side effects. The best nsaid for me is Ibuprofen, and I still take that occasionally. Helps with mood reactions to some foods that I get.

Like you Charles, I cannot take vitamin D (can't really take any synthetic vitamins tbh) as it gives me a very hot/caffeinated and uncomfortable feeling. It sucks when you're vitamin D deficient as well.

I do want to give Pepto an honest try in the future for some food reactions I get that cause insomnia and pain when I try different foods. Since people try this for celiac as well I think it's time for me to give it a honest try when I need it.

For those wondering, I'm still 100% pois free and my symptoms completely revolve around food. But I like to constantly experiment with food so I'll get symptoms sometimes... having nothing to do with O. But O does exacerbate symptoms when I get them. If I eat food that messes with my mood I'll take 400 or 600 mg Ibuprofen and that really helps, but not much for insomnia caused by some foods, maybe up to 50% helpful for insomnia. Maybe Pepto could help with insomnia caused by food reactions somewhat? I'll test that out later. It's always nice having things you can take when you experience symptoms. With this evidence coupled with people who have actual celiac that find relief from Pepto I think it's overdue for me to try it when my gut/brain isn't right.

- GLC over pois and out.

Just a note on Vitamin D, I started at small doses and am up to 10,000 in per day, and my blood levels have gone from 11 to 46.

I think the key for me was starting small, having a tsp of coconut oil (fat for the D absorption), and making sure I had K2 at the same time.  Also having a banana at the same time seemed to help minimize D symptoms I was having.

Going less Crazy

« Reply #89 on: February 21, 2021, 03:32:44 PM »

- GLC over pois and out.

Just a note on Vitamin D, I started at small doses and am up to 10,000 in per day, and my blood levels have gone from 11 to 46.

I think the key for me was starting small, having a tsp of coconut oil (fat for the D absorption), and making sure I had K2 at the same time.  Also having a banana at the same time seemed to help minimize D symptoms I was having.

Yeah my brain is insanely sensitive to vitamin D, and many, many others. Why? I still have no effing clue. Even tried micro dosing before and can barely handle it. I'm taking a drop of cod liver oil now and that's literally all I can handle for vitamin D. My guess is either I have sibo or some detox problem.

Muon

• MCAD Thread
« Reply #90 on: February 21, 2021, 03:54:02 PM »
Yeah my brain is insanely sensitive to vitamin D, and many, many others. Why? I still have no effing clue. Even tried micro dosing before and can barely handle it. I'm taking a drop of cod liver oil now and that's literally all I can handle for vitamin D. My guess is either I have sibo or some detox problem.

D-Lactate?

Muon

• MCAD Thread
« Reply #91 on: February 21, 2021, 07:23:04 PM »
https://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=3203.msg39066#msg39066

https://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=2301.msg34654#msg34654

Igy78 got infiltrates. I wonder if he is responsive to pepto-bismol. Going less crazy and myself could have infiltrates in the GI tract considering food sensitivities.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 07:26:13 PM by Muon »

Going less Crazy

« Reply #92 on: February 22, 2021, 12:18:10 AM »

D-Lactate?

I've heard of this before. Might be at least one reason why carbs make me feel fogged and moody at times. Sweet potatoes and gf bread seem to be okay. But beans sometimes contribute to brain fog. Also my eyes turn red and I feel speedy after taking probiotics, never tried the d lactate free ones though.

drop247

« Reply #93 on: February 27, 2021, 12:38:31 PM »
I received my SIBO Breath Test kit today and was surprised to note the instructions specifically state I can't use Pepto Bismol (among other things like antibiotics) for 14 days prior to the giving the breath sample. To me this indicates either Pepto Bismol is an effective anti-SIBO treatment, or it produces hydrogen or methane which interferes with the test sample. I'm thinking it's probably the anti-microbial effect.

Anyways, I just took Pepto Bismol yesterday and today as POIS pre and post treatment so it will be at least 14 days until I can do my breath test. It's noticeably very effective against POIS for me, by the way. I also inject Testosterone and I'm taking Low Dose Naltrexone these days so I'm not sure how effective is on it's own. In my research I see LDN is also being used against SIBO so I should probably come off that before my breath test as well.

I will update with the SIBO breath test results when I am able to do the test. My concern is this test only checks for Hydrogen and Methane and not Hydrogen Sulfide which I suspect could be my problem.

Charles_b

« Reply #94 on: February 27, 2021, 02:27:31 PM »
Very interested to see your results, and the bismuth/hydrogen sulfide connection makes logical sense to me.

After you mentioned the Trio test, I talked to my Dr and they ordered it, so will see if anything pops up for Hydrogen Sulfide.

Charles_b

« Reply #95 on: March 01, 2021, 09:30:16 PM »
So I?m back full circle from my first post on this thread... just tested positive for H Pylori again via the GI-MAP stool test.  Granted I tested negative recently in both Genova and Great Plains stool tests, as well as an H Pylori antigen test at my clinic (have had a lot of tests to see if I can figure out the root of the dysbiosis.). Not sure if those other tests are inaccurate , or if the GI-MAP is inaccurate.

I would lean towards the GI-MAP being correct, as I do have horrible indigestion and heartburn.

The plan is to take Quadruple Therapy (which includes bismuth) to clear it once and for all.  My unrealistic hope is that I just magically start feeling better after the hardcore antibiotics  :)

LookingForACure

« Reply #96 on: March 17, 2021, 05:16:38 PM »
I have experimented with herbal antimicrobials over the past 5-6 months, specifically candibactin AR (thyme, sage, oregano, lemon balm) and candibactin BR (berberine HCL plus a bunch of other berberine-containing plant extracts) and have had a lot of success.

My first trial was in October and November of 2020, and I noticed substantial symptom relief within one day of starting. Specifically, reduced POIS symptoms, far improved mood, mental energy, cognition, and social ability, as well as somewhat reduced physical fatigue (interestingly, no relief to exercise-induced symptoms). The benefits seemed to last a few weeks after discontinuation before I went back to my normal state. After restarting for a shorter course at the end of December, I found my symptoms were partially relieved but I also experienced some GI upset that forced me to stop. Thankfully, I maintained about 40-50% symptom reduction for a month after discontinuation. I subsequently regressed almost completely before restarting the candibactins a week ago and feeling better within a few days. The relief is not complete, but it is profound; I feel like life is actually worth living while and shortly after I am on a course.

I initially started treatment due to suspected SIBO, however a breath test during my most recent slump revealed only a minor methanogenic overgrowth (11 ppm methane, <10 reference range). According to a stool test, I have high levels of two known potential pathogens, klebsiella pneumoniae and citrobacter brakii, in addition to an overgrowth of bacteroidetes in my large intestine. It seems that what the candibactins are treating is likely some kind of gut dysbiosis, either the result of pathogenic overgrowth or an imbalanced microbiome. Either way the relief is astonishing, and lends credence to the gut theory of POIS. I have never had particularly bothersome digestive symptoms, so this has been a surprise for me.

It seems like there are a lot of us finding that the gut is the root of our POIS. I'm really hoping this ends up leading to a cure for all or many of us :)

I'm going to wait a bit to make a top-level post, but thought I'd share this with you guys now.

If you are interested in the products I used, I put the links below. I have no idea whether these products are more effective than other formulations, simply that they work for me and were suggested by my doctor.

Candibactin AR: https://www.metagenics.com/candibactin-ar
Candibactin BR: https://www.metagenics.com/candibactin-br

berlin1984

• Administrator
  • Use Adaptogens and Antioxidants, they can help.
« Reply #97 on: March 18, 2021, 01:55:13 AM »
Congrats!
I'm looking forward to your top level post.

Especially "candibactin BR" looks like it contains a lot of stuff that can affect a lot of different things in the body.

Interestingly some people know Berberine as gut medicine, some know it as nootropic.
https://nootropicsexpert.com/berberine/

Charles_b

« Reply #98 on: March 18, 2021, 10:34:35 AM »
Glad to see Candibactin works for you!  I tried it a while ago, and got such severe side effects that I had to stop.  Part of me wonders if it was killing off something pathogenic, and I just ramped up so quickly that I couldn?t handle the die-off.

Pontevin

« Reply #99 on: April 11, 2021, 04:44:37 AM »
Someone from inside EU (excluding UK, yep) please message me on how to get this in Germany.

I had two cases now where the customs don't seem to let me get the package. :-(

Thank you

I recently ordered Pepto Bismol to an EU country on Amazon. It came from the States. The seller's name was Daily Supply. I don't know if I'm allowed to direct link to a product here, but if you can't find it with that info I can send you or the other Euro poster who asked about this a direct link.

The bottle arrived in a padded envelope after several weeks' time without any customs problems.

FYI It's a small bottle, only 8 doses for 18 euros (118 ml, 15-ml doses -- It's Maximum Strength).

Cheers.