Author Topic: Cases of POIS spontaneously going away?  (Read 2788 times)

Clues

Cases of POIS spontaneously going away?
« on: February 07, 2020, 07:13:47 AM »
A guy in a YouTube video claims to have been cured, which got me wondering: How many cases are there of people spontaneously getting well? Also, related question: How many cases do we know of where someone's gotten a lasting improvement from supplements and/or meds? (Lasting as in the improvement persists if they stop taking the supplements and/or medication.)

Spartak

Re: Cases of POIS spontaneously going away?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2020, 05:52:49 AM »
I saw two guys claim being cured on Youtube.

He claims candida and gut problems were responsible.
I got annoyed by a comment section and losers recommending cures.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISnnag8UOGw

and this one, btw dude no offence seems to be in some fairy tale world. He claims how he got cured because he abstained for 4 years.
Yea right, solely that is the reason, no doubt  :( He even denied in comment section that it might be related to gut, relating it to his diet. We obviously still have no idea what is POIS exactly, so bold comments about it are so annoying.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t87dsMDXPZ4

Nonetheless I am happy that two people got cured.
no sugar diet helps me a tiny bit, also makes my mind much calmer in general. Sugar is definitely something my body does not handle well. Also I noticed that other inflammations like a hangover are better since I quit sugar. I avoid sweet fruits as well.

b_jim

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2020, 08:13:29 AM »
It's so difficult to know if someone is honnest or not on the internet.
When someone says he has a cure I always have a critical point of view.

I agree to say gut is very very important.
But probiotics are probably useless. Microbiota can't be changed by probiotics. With taking billions and billions probiotics you can influence less of 5% of microbiota cells. Maybe less 1%.

About candida albicans lots of things are claimed but few are proved.
I took grapefruit seeds extract after antibiotherapy. I'm not sure it changed anything....

But nutrition is important. Eating more vegetables and good fats and less sugar and junk food is 90% of a good nutrition.

About abstience I have to say that it have absolutely no effect on Pois symptoms in my case.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 08:16:29 AM by b_jim »
Taurine = Anti-Pois
Lyme disease "cured" in 2020.

Clues

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2020, 12:33:27 PM »
Thanks for your responses. First of all, 100% agree that the guy who claims to be cured by abstinence is making several unfounded claims. The video is also a bit bizarre.

I had not seen the other one, Spartak, the one with the candida theory. That guy seems credible to me. It was a bit of an "oh shit" moment for me to be honest, because I've had some symptoms that seem to suggest some kind of fungus based on the little I know about it, notably what seems like oral thrush and some weird stuff coming off my skin, mostly my face. It's not like dead skin, it's not little flakes. I had that really bad in the years after a heavy antibiotic cure about 20 years ago (which I suspect is how I got POIS). At that time my skin was really read and irritated-looking as well, and whatever it was that was coming off it was lighter, almost white. The skin symptoms have calmed down but I still have them a bit.

Has anyone on the forum tried out this guy's proposed cure? (In short, semi-fasting with vegetables, enemas and probiotics.)

« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 02:03:35 PM by Clues »

Clues

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2020, 02:13:08 PM »
I took grapefruit seeds extract after antibiotherapy. I'm not sure it changed anything....

But nutrition is important. Eating more vegetables and good fats and less sugar and junk food is 90% of a good nutrition.

Good points b_jim. I've been suspecting a gut-related cause for a while, and because of that in combination with IBS I've been mindful of my eating habits for a long time. Small amounts of sugar and refined carbs and alcohol, practically no junk food. Low FODMAP diet with natural ingredients for the most part. But since I'm now suspecting candida overgrowth or something similar (see above), I'm going zero sugar and refined carbs for a while, and supplementing with turmeric and garlic.

Btw I just checked my tongue with a mobile cam and flash, and I'm pretty sure I have oral thrush. White/yellow-ish substance on the tongue, especially farther back.

demografx

• Administrator
  • All of us working together to defeat POIS!
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2020, 05:45:21 PM »

Thank you, b_jim!!
10 years of significant POIS-reduction, treatment consisting of daily (365 days/year) testosterone patches.

TRT must be checked out carefully with your doctor due to fertility, cardiac and other risks.

40+ years of severe 4-days-POIS, married, raised a family, started/ran a business

Clues

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2020, 05:01:44 AM »
demografx, would you say the fungus thing is a dead end? It just sounded interesting to me just because of the unexplained symptoms mentioned above (weird substance in face, oral thrush).

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2020, 11:18:57 AM »
Not necessarily a dead end, I only share the deep skepticism that many feel about some “candida diagnoses”. There is some truth to the condition, yet much quackery as well. I only suggest an
extremely careful approach when considering anything about “candida” information. Only rely on the best advice from a medical professional whom you know and trust personally. Never from “the internet”.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 11:23:03 AM by demografx »
10 years of significant POIS-reduction, treatment consisting of daily (365 days/year) testosterone patches.

TRT must be checked out carefully with your doctor due to fertility, cardiac and other risks.

40+ years of severe 4-days-POIS, married, raised a family, started/ran a business

Clues

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2020, 02:41:21 AM »
Only rely on the best advice from a medical professional whom you know and trust personally. Never from “the internet”.

I hear you demografx, but at the same time the chances of getting any advice on this from a doctor here in Norway are incredibly slim. You can either 1: go to a GP who will in all likelihood refuse to consider the possibility or 2: go to a doctor at an "alternative" clinic in Oslo which is known for using some disproven methods and pseudo-science, and isn't covered by the healthcare system. Doctors here, in my experience, would rather not help you than attempt a treatment that's even slightly speculative.

I agree scepticism is important online, but there's no way to get anywhere other than doing my own research.

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2020, 07:55:04 PM »
Clues, thanks, I now understand your situation better!

Muon

• MCAD Thread
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2020, 10:04:59 AM »
and this one, btw dude no offence seems to be in some fairy tale world. He claims how he got cured because he abstained for 4 years.
Yea right, solely that is the reason, no doubt  :( He even denied in comment section that it might be related to gut, relating it to his diet. We obviously still have no idea what is POIS exactly, so bold comments about it are so annoying.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t87dsMDXPZ4

Food for thought, take it with a grain of salt:

He used to be an alcoholic. Alcohol is a mast cell activator. Chronic triggers may change the phenotype of mast cells and make them susceptible to other triggers (a substance of the ejaculate?). If this phenotype of mast cells in the urinary tract became susceptible to semen then you could keep this phenotype alive by ejaculation. The lifespan of mast cells is variable from several months to a few years depending on the tissue (28:19, "and it typically has a lifespan of two to four years"). What he did could be avoiding activation of this phenotype by trigger avoidance and wait until the phenotype dies off (could take 4 years, see video timestamp above and the guy abstained for four years). 

It could also be a change in some kind of receptor density by avoiding orgasm for a long period of time.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 10:21:09 AM by Muon »