Author Topic: POIS Paper Archive - a list of scientific articles about POIS  (Read 74932 times)

Muon

• MCAD Thread
Re: POIS Paper Archive - a list of scientific articles about POIS
« Reply #180 on: October 25, 2020, 06:40:19 AM »
Waldinger (2011, part 1) mentioned FOXP3. This has never been followed up.

"Another intriguing possibility is that PE in these men is causally associated to immunologic factors. However, currently, there are no data of immunologic factors relating to PE."

Yes I was thinking this as well and also haven't found anything in literature aside from one paper that treated PE with milnacipran which could indicate involvement of immunologic factors. Anti-inflammatory and anti-hyperalgesic effects of milnacipran in inflamed rats: involvement of myeloperoxidase activity, cytokines and oxidative/nitrosative stress

Milnacipran for Postcoital Cephalgia and Premature Ejaculation

Could be an idea for a trial. Test Milnacipran in group of poisers with PE.

Edit: chromium chloride for PE?:
Chromium Deficiency: The Predicted Underlying Cause for Up-regulation of Calcium Signaling in Non-Excitable Cells.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 06:59:42 AM by Muon »

Muon

• MCAD Thread
« Reply #181 on: November 05, 2020, 07:08:17 AM »
No POIS but potentially a very important paper. Adding this to the testosterone section on page 1:

RESOLUTION OF SEASONAL ALLERGIES BY TESTOSTERONE REPLACEMENT THERAPY IN A HYPOGONADAL MALE PATIENT: A CASE REPORT

Edit: Food for thought: There are Treg modulators in sperm. Could Hyposensitization actually be a modulation of Tregs?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 02:10:47 PM by Muon »

Muon

• MCAD Thread
« Reply #182 on: November 16, 2020, 09:16:51 AM »
Someone could look into experimental low-dose IL-2 therapy for POIS. Perhaps a doctor seeing this message can look into it.

Targeting IL-2: an unexpected effect in treating immunological diseases

Androgen receptor modulates Foxp3 expression in CD4+CD25+Foxp3+ regulatory T-cells

RESOLUTION OF SEASONAL ALLERGIES BY TESTOSTERONE REPLACEMENT THERAPY IN A HYPOGONADAL MALE PATIENT: A CASE REPORT

Successful treatment of Post-orgasmic illness syndrome with human chorionic gonadotropin

Case of post-orgasmic illness syndrome associated with hypogonadism.

Neuroendocrinology of mast cells: Challenges and controversies.

Note: all female family members of mine with health issues felt better during pregnancy. T-reg numbers increase during pregnancy. Progesterone and hCG rise during pregnancy. Mast cells can stabilize as well via P4. One of them has seasonal allergies combine it with the above papers.

From the IL-2 paper:

"We also summarize proof-of-concept clinical trials which have shown that low-dose IL-2 can control autoimmune diseases safely and effectively...

Cross-linking post about CBD and Tregs: https://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=3551.msg38455#msg38455
« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 10:50:14 PM by Muon »

Muon

• MCAD Thread
« Reply #183 on: November 20, 2020, 07:40:29 AM »
Low-dose IL-2 therapy compensates for metabolic shifts and reverses anxiety-like behavior in PD-1 deficiency-induced autoimmunity

PD-1 mice: "In PD-1-deficient (Pdcd1?/?) mice, a model for excessive immune activation, aberrant activation of T cells induces metabolic shifts by depleting amino acids, including tryptophan (Trp) and tyrosine (Tyr), which are essential precursors for monoamine neurotransmitter synthesis in the brain."

"In conclusion, our study provides the first evidence that low-dose IL-2 therapy could compensate for the deprivation of essential amino acids required for neurotransmitter syntheses, protect brain function and reverse anxiety-like behaviors in PD-1-deficient mice, a model used for systemic T-cell activation and associated autoimmunity"

My brother got decreased tryptophan levels.

Low dose IL-2 therapy mimicks desensitization?:
Interleukin-2 in seminal plasma of fertile and infertile men
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 07:49:26 AM by Muon »

Muon

• MCAD Thread
« Reply #184 on: November 20, 2020, 12:19:49 PM »
You won't find elevated IgE when IgG4 is elevated because the latter suppresses IgE. Also IgG4 doesn't activate complement.

"After the chronic antigen exposure, IgG1 and IgG4 become the predominantly produced subclasses of IgG isotype. In addition, IgG4 is unable to activate the classical complement pathway and is then known as an anti-inflammatory immunoglobulin and a blocking antibody towards IgE antibodies." Immunodominant Semen Proteins III: IgG1 and IgG4 Linkage in Female Immune Infertility

A potential antigen in seminal fluid can be located via IgG4. If characterized it can be checked if the same antigen is involved in hypersensitivity to semen in the case of my mother and brother plus potential crossreactivity with other types of antigens which have nothing in common with sexual fluids.

A comprehensive characterization of the peptide and protein constituents of human seminal fluid

IgG4 could have been induced by SCIT.

======================================================================
======================================================================

Allergen-specific intralymphatic immunotherapy in human and animal studies

"In the study of Witten et al. [13], both serum allergen-specific IgE and IgG4 were increased after ILIT. Moreover, IL-4 and IL-10 production, as well as the expression of FoxP3 increased, whereas interferon (IFN)-? production by stimulated PBMCs decreased after ILIT."

Androgen therapy also increases expression of FOXP3. It might be one mechanism. https://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=3127.msg37486#msg37486

"In our study, serum allergen-specific IgE and IgG4 increased 4 months after ILIT, but they had decreased by 1 year later"

Even the 'failure' in the brazilian patient (fidalgo) might be the same mechanism which reversed over time.
https://sci-hub.se/10.1080/0092623x.2019.1677835

"The patient was submitted to immunotherapy, and although he presented an improvement of symptoms in the first year of treatment, he quit immunotherapy after two years because the symptoms returned."

Intralymphatic Immunotherapy With Autologous Semen in a Korean Man With Post-Orgasmic Illness Syndrome

"The mechanism of ILIT is not sufficiently understood, but we propose that ILIT might be mediated by plasmablasts, plasma cells, and memory B cells that are activated by allergens injected into lymph nodes and produce allergen-specific IgE, IgG4, or other antibody isotypes with or without enhanced affinity."

===================================================================
===================================================================

Table 3: Immunotherapy. The rush protocol is more effective than the conventional method (also increased risk for anaphalaxis):
Human seminal plasma allergy: a review of a rare phenomenon

MethodAttempted inSuccessful in
Conventional149 (64%)
‘Rush’ protocol1111 (100%)
   Subcutaneous66 (100%)
   Intravaginal55 (100%)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 12:45:41 PM by Muon »

Muon

• MCAD Thread
« Reply #185 on: December 17, 2020, 03:27:35 PM »
Update: New entry #41; unpublished abstract.

Muon

• MCAD Thread
« Reply #186 on: December 29, 2020, 08:10:12 PM »
Abnormal Thalamic Metabolism in Patients With Lifelong Premature Ejaculation

Conclusion
Our findings show that the increase in glutamatergic activity of thalamus is related to LPE, suggesting that the increased Glu neurotransmission in the thalamus may contribute to the development of premature ejaculation.

Premature ejaculation - current concepts in the management: A narrative review

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glutamate_(neurotransmitter)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thalamus
« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 08:16:38 PM by Muon »

Muon

• MCAD Thread
« Reply #187 on: January 11, 2021, 07:05:21 PM »
Reactive oxygen species (ROS) haven't been measured in POIS research as far as I know. These could be measured.

Muon

• MCAD Thread
« Reply #188 on: February 07, 2021, 02:50:08 PM »
Figure 1: Hormonal correlations of premature ejaculation

Added another one: Relationship Between Amyloid Precursor Protein in Seminal Plasma and Abnormal Penile Sympathetic Skin Response in Lifelong Premature Ejaculation

Conclusions
The results of this study showed that patients with lifelong PE had higher APP and Ab42 levels in seminal plasma. The abnormal PSSR was related to higher Ab42 levels. Drugs that decrease Ab could be a treatment of PE.

Stress, compare with the above about PE:
"Modern life-related stress, social stress, isolation stress, restraint stress, early life stress are associated with an increased level of neurotoxic beta amyloid (Ab) peptide. Stress increases cognitive dysfunction, generates amyloid precursor protein (APP)" Ref

Low BDNF increases susceptibility to stress and is associated with PE.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2021, 03:51:43 PM by Muon »

Muon

• MCAD Thread
« Reply #189 on: February 08, 2021, 07:06:04 PM »
House dust mite allergy + (Allergic) Rhinitis (2 papers: Jiang et al. and De Amicis et al.)

Impaired barrier function in patients with house dust mite–induced allergic rhinitis is accompanied by decreased occludin and zonula occludens-1 expression

Increased innate type 2 immune response in house dust mite-allergic patients with allergic rhinitis

IL-33, but Not IL-25, Is Crucial for the Development of House Dust Mite Antigen-Induced Allergic Rhinitis

More papers out there. Reminder: Hypomethylation at IL-13 gene also involved in MCAS? Elevated E2 is a risk factor for PE.
--->IL-33<---

Sensory/scratching: Additionally, scratching my chin/beard on the left side of my face reproduces all the POIS symptoms that I would normally get from orgasm. I sometimes have a compulsion to scratch my beard when I am stressed or trying to concentrate on something or am sleep deprived. I've noticed that scratching and grooming hair on my face (head, eyebrow, beard) produces some affect that keeps me alert and helps me think when I am trying to figure something out (almost like caffeine). However, it is only when I repeatedly scratch my chin on the left side that I get really sick.

Regulatory Mechanisms of IL-33-ST2-Mediated Allergic Inflammation

Aswinpras06:
Moreover, Cayrol et al. have recently shown that full-length IL-33 is cleaved by proteases derived from various environmental allergens such as fungi, HDM, cockroaches, and pollens and that the cleaved short mature forms of IL-33 are potent inducers of allergic airway inflammation.

Sexual Hormones:
Consistently, testosterone attenuates alternaria extract-induced cytokine expression of ILC2s and eosinophils infiltration by decreasing the numbers of lung ILC2s (61). These results indicate that the imbalance in sexual hormones could be involved in the regulation of IL-33-mediated inflammatory diseases.

ANS:
Recently, Moriyama et al. have reported that murine ILC2s express high levels of b2-adrenergic receptor (b2AR) (62) and the treatment with b2AR agonist (salmeterol) inhibits IL-33-induced IL-5 and IL-13 production of ILC2s.

Loss of butyrate producing intestinal microbial strains in POISers:
Moreover, Thio et al. have shown that butyrate inhibits IL-33-induced GATA3 expression and cytokine production in ILC2s.

Some folks with Psoriasis: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/ced.12670

==============================================================

Dumping this here:
Kallikrein-related peptidases: bridges between immune functions and extracellular matrix degradation

...findings suggest that KLKs could act as autoantigens and allergens. Collectively, increasing evidence shows that KLKs can bridge immune function(s) with the already well-established extensive proteolytic events that lead to destruction of the ECM. In addition, KLKs are candidates for immunotherapy, as demonstrated for KLK3 owing to its highly specific expression in the prostate gland.

The presence of zinc ions, found at high concentration (2 mM) in semen, is also very important for the antimicrobial activity of semenogelin-derived peptides, since removal of Zn2+ abolishes their antimicrobial activity
« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 10:11:07 AM by Muon »

Muon

• MCAD Thread
« Reply #190 on: February 25, 2021, 10:14:16 AM »
Could the composition of the human seminal plasma proteome reflect disease state or induce POIS?

Proteome: A proteome is a set of all expressed proteins in a cell, tissue, or organism, and a systematic analysis of proteins within a defined system for their identity, quantity, and function is called proteomics.

Seminal exosomes in semen alone contain entire proteomes of >1000 proteins....hahah WTF.
Comprehensive proteomics analysis of exosomes derived from human seminal plasma

Differences in the seminal plasma proteome are associated with oxidative stress levels in men with normal semen parameters

Association between the seminal plasma proteome and sperm functional traits

Reminder: More papers about the seminal plasma proteome could be collected.

Seminal microbiome:
My POIS doctor has his focus on the microbiome of the prostate and the urinary tract. There is a research that mice who do not have a part of seminal fluid they get sick. And when they give them that part they get better. My doctor thinks that POIS patients have a bad flora in the prostate.

Identification and evaluation of the microbiome in the female and male reproductive tracts

The seminal microbiome in health and disease
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 10:45:00 AM by Muon »

Muon

• MCAD Thread
« Reply #191 on: March 10, 2021, 11:42:03 AM »
TL;DR: ST2/IL-33 signaling could be a potential target of investigation in POIS.

A follow up from this post: https://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=3127.msg39195#msg39195

https://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=2545.msg39495#msg39495

==================================================================

Fidalgo's case report:
Immunophenotypical Characterization of a Brazilian POIS (Post-Orgasmic Illness Syndrome) Patient: Adding More Pieces to Puzzle
"The majority of these cells are expressing CD38+, which suggests that the activation in this patient is more likely to happen via the CD38 molecule and there is no clinical explanation to that finding"

"Comparing total frequencies of leucocyte subsets in PBMC of POIS and the healthy individuals of the cohort, T cells and monocyte level were higher in POIS patient while B cell and NK cell levels were lower"

"The T cell activation profile comparison of POIS and controls (11 samples) shows that the frequency of CD4+CD38+ cells of the patient was higher"

========================================================================

The plasma levels of soluble ST2 as a marker of gut mucosal damage in early HIV infection (there is an early phase and chronic phase, correlations between markers depend on phase)

"We observed correlations between sST2 levels and the percentage of CD4+ and CD8+ T cells expressing the immune activation markers (HLA-DR and CD38). Surprisingly, the correlation of sST2 was stronger with CD4+ than CD8+ T cells."

"As the IL-33/ST2 is considered to be the guardian of the mucosal barrier..."

"sCD14, which is released from activated monocytes"

"We found a positive correlation between plasma sST2 levels and the Kyn/Trp ratio, which suggests that immune activation may be induced by metabolites generated either by gut microbes and/or by IFN-g following systemic viral infection"

"We subsequently assessed whether a correlation existed between sST2 and inflammatory markers IFN-g, TNF-a, IL-6, and IL-10 measured in plasma. A positive correlation was found for IFN-g only.In addition, IFN-g and IL-33 are known to counter regulate activation of ILC2s to control Tregs and type 2 responses, thus contributing to a shift toward Th1 response."

"During an acute infection, IL-33, an alarmin links inflammation, immune function, and tissue repair, whereas in the case of persistent infection, IL-33 may contribute to gut fibrosis "

"the alarmin response may wane over time because of tissue fibrosis."

============================================================================

Fidalgo's NK cells are low which could make him susceptible to intracellular pathogens (virus). His elevated CD4+CD38+ levels could have a correlation with sST2 levels--->Infection could have happened at a mucosal surface like the gut. Recruited monocytes could raise the level of microbial translocation (sCD14). The combination of his other two conditions (two posts back) could indicate involvement of IL-33. IL-33 acts as an alarmin when barriers are "breached".

He had low levels of NK cells just like me. In addition to that, my elevated IFN-g could indicate activated anti-viral response. My elevated IL-8 level can indicate damaged epithelial or endothelial cells. IL-8 can be released by gut epithelial cells in response to bacterial translocation. The main source of IL-33 is the endothelial cell followed by epithelial cells. I wonder if the very high candida albicans LTT reflects CD4+CD38+ proliferation at a section of my gut, hence barrier penetration. In the article above it says that there is a positive correlation between ST2 and sCD40L (but only in the early phase). CD40 plays a role in IG class switching of B-cells. Could hyperexpression of CD40 be responsible for IgG4 class switching and could this be related to ST2?

POISers who recover over time may experience a transient decrease of "alarm sound". Yes the article is about HIV but who knows what other infection might mimmick this behaviour. Food for thought for sure.

Does the POIS response use IL-33/ST2 and/or CD38 signaling?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 01:04:21 PM by Muon »

OpiesDad

« Reply #192 on: March 11, 2021, 02:18:30 AM »
shouldn't we start seeing some 2021 journal articles or did COVID shut down medical scholarship for the year? :) 

Hopeoneday

« Reply #193 on: March 29, 2021, 08:28:33 AM »
Is there a significance of histamine in the control of the human male sexual response?
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21950740/

Intresting, no histamine rise in healty volonters...
Dr-pois.

resilient

« Reply #195 on: April 06, 2021, 04:06:11 PM »
Official version just published:
Successful treatment strategies in two patients with Postorgasmic illness syndrome (POIS)
Hi Muon. Can?t access this article via sci-hub. Maybe it?s too new to appear on sci-hub? Any ideas?

Muon

• MCAD Thread
« Reply #197 on: June 07, 2021, 07:18:49 AM »
Sci-Hub is defunct

Abusing research money from tax payers to put articles behind a paywall for profit.

They can go xxxx themselves with their extreme paywall prices, xxxxxxx  parasites.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 11:40:49 AM by demografx »

hurray

• Lab1
« Reply #198 on: June 07, 2021, 12:51:10 PM »
Sci-Hub is defunct

Abusing research money from tax payers to put articles behind a paywall for profit.

They can go xxxx themselves with their extreme paywall prices, xxxxxxx  parasites.

That's bad news, Muon. There are still some functioning versions of sci-hub at this link, so we can still read POIS-related papers for free (I got it from your post):

https://lovescihub.wordpress.com

Muon

• MCAD Thread
« Reply #199 on: June 07, 2021, 01:35:19 PM »
Muon:

Profanity is not permitted in any posted wording at the POISCenter forum.
Sorry

That's bad news, Muon. There are still some functioning versions of sci-hub at this link, so we can still read POIS-related papers for free (I got it from your post):

https://lovescihub.wordpress.com
Thanks hurray