Author Topic: POIS Paper Archive - a list of scientific articles about POIS  (Read 81466 times)

hurray

• Lab1
Re: POIS Paper Archive
« Reply #120 on: June 02, 2020, 04:27:06 PM »
"Silodosin, which considered to cause anejaculation [15], was chosen as the first-line therapy. Eight patients (57%) were able to be effectively treated with this approach."

No ejaculation = no contact between UT mast cells and the ejaculate.

"Eleven (78.5%) patients had slightly elevated total IgE with a mean of 40.5 ? 24.7 kU/l (normal range <35)."

Cyokines can induce IgE in B-cells.

"Furthermore, the indicated level of IgE may not correlate with the extent or severity of symptoms when exposed to the allergen."

Eosinophil cationic protein correlates to allergic disease activity.

"There are no recognized treatment modalities. POIS patients have been treated with antihistamines, selective
serotonin reuptake inhibitors, nonsteroidal antiinflammatory medication, analgesics, benzodiazepines, and hyposensitization therapy.
"

In bold are the ones being used in MCAD. Steroids as well.

That's interesting, thank you.

I tried silodosin myself several years ago to see if it would help with my POIS brain fog. I made a number of posts about it on the Naked Scientists Forum, if anybody is interested in the results that me and Habibou had, have a look at the thread:

https://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.11660

It's fascinating to see the quality of discussion and the camaraderie back in 2011. People were encouraging each other, discussing new theories and trying new things.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 05:16:04 PM by hurray »

demografx

• Administrator
  • All of us working together to defeat POIS!
« Reply #121 on: June 02, 2020, 06:47:20 PM »

It's fascinating to see the quality of discussion and the camaraderie back in 2011. People were encouraging each other, discussing new theories and trying new things.

hurray: 100% agreed!

Let’s all try to get some more of that old spark back!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 03:37:04 AM by demografx »
10 years of significant POIS-reduction, treatment consisting of daily (365 days/year) testosterone patches.

TRT must be checked out carefully with your doctor due to fertility, cardiac and other risks.

40+ years of severe 4-days-POIS, married, raised a family, started/ran a business

Nas

« Reply #122 on: June 03, 2020, 03:46:16 AM »
"Silodosin, which considered to cause anejaculation [15], was chosen as the first-line therapy. Eight patients (57%) were able to be effectively treated with this approach."

No ejaculation = no contact between UT mast cells and the ejaculate.

I tried that, I had a dry ejaculation, still had POIS.

Muon

• MCAD Thread
« Reply #123 on: June 03, 2020, 07:13:59 AM »
Got a working link now. A new article has been placed at #10. Scroll to page 220. (how do I filter out one specific page?)

He got atopic dermatitis which is associated with mast cells.

hurray

• Lab1
« Reply #124 on: June 03, 2020, 02:51:56 PM »
The fee is just too much for the journal of sexual medicine.

I have added a new paper to the list. It's from Amstelveen the Netherlands, same residential area as Waldinger. Must be a colleague of his.

There is a reference in that paper I'm unfamiliar with, slipped under the radar I guess. Does anyone have full working link to this article:
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/297569313_A_clinical_case_of_suspected_postorgasmic_illness_syndrome

I looked into it, and The Journal of Sexual Medicine doesn't charge any fees for publishing a paper in the traditional way. Open access publishing costs $2500 - if it were my paper, I would go down the free route.

Of course, getting published in a prestigious journal isn't easy, so you would have to be strongly motivated to succeed.  :)

cyberguy137

« Reply #125 on: June 04, 2020, 01:02:49 PM »
Hi

Thanks Muon!! This latest paper by Y. Reisman, "Clinical experience with post-orgasmic illness syndrome (POIS)
patients?characteristics and possible treatment modality" , is one of the best I have seen. I think I'd like to try prednisone , and maybe silodosin.

I am working on a review of the literature. Right now it's a mess. However, if people would like to see it, they can take a look at it here:
https://www.overleaf.com/read/hstsyfsjpnrk

I'm doing it in LaTex, a markup language for technical documents.

I don't think I found anything that Muon hasn't already found.

Hopeoneday

« Reply #126 on: June 04, 2020, 06:03:36 PM »
A new paper has been published: 29 May 2020 /
Clinical experience with post-orgasmic illness syndrome (POIS) patients?characteristics and possible treatment / https://www.nature.com/articles/s41443-020-0314-9

Abstract: Post-orgasmic illness syndrome (POIS) is a rare condition that includes a cluster of post-ejaculatory symptoms with debilitating physical and psychological consequences. The prevalence and incidence of POIS remain unknown as well as the pathophysiology of the syndrome, and there are no well-studied recognized treatment modalities. The current retrospective observational study describes a series of 14 highly selected patients who were actively looking for medical help as POIS has a significant effect on patients and their partners. The aim is to increase knowledge about this syndrome and possible treatment modality. According to a standard protocol, patients have been systematically interviewed, had a physical examination, laboratory blood tests, and treatments. Mean age was 34.07???6.65 years. The majority of patients had only one symptom in common?extreme fatigue. The most prevalent complaints were head pressure/heaviness, nose congestion and muscle tension; all patients suffered from more than 1 symptom. POIS started on average within 30?min of ejaculation and lasted for 3.5 days. The patients reported emotional and psychosocial burden of their symptoms, which also influence their partner and relationships. Immunoglobulin-E measurements did not show elevated levels and/or significant increase within 24?h after ejaculation. Silodosin, a highly selective alpha1A-blocker, which actually causes anejaculation, was effective treatment in 57% of the patients.

60% benefit from uneyaculation  :o , a big percentage.
In wich contry is thouse chosen 14? Do they know about us?
Dr-pois.

hurray

• Lab1
« Reply #127 on: June 04, 2020, 06:13:49 PM »
A new paper has been published: 29 May 2020 /
Clinical experience with post-orgasmic illness syndrome (POIS) patients?characteristics and possible treatment / https://www.nature.com/articles/s41443-020-0314-9

Abstract: Post-orgasmic illness syndrome (POIS) is a rare condition that includes a cluster of post-ejaculatory symptoms with debilitating physical and psychological consequences. The prevalence and incidence of POIS remain unknown as well as the pathophysiology of the syndrome, and there are no well-studied recognized treatment modalities. The current retrospective observational study describes a series of 14 highly selected patients who were actively looking for medical help as POIS has a significant effect on patients and their partners. The aim is to increase knowledge about this syndrome and possible treatment modality. According to a standard protocol, patients have been systematically interviewed, had a physical examination, laboratory blood tests, and treatments. Mean age was 34.07???6.65 years. The majority of patients had only one symptom in common?extreme fatigue. The most prevalent complaints were head pressure/heaviness, nose congestion and muscle tension; all patients suffered from more than 1 symptom. POIS started on average within 30?min of ejaculation and lasted for 3.5 days. The patients reported emotional and psychosocial burden of their symptoms, which also influence their partner and relationships. Immunoglobulin-E measurements did not show elevated levels and/or significant increase within 24?h after ejaculation. Silodosin, a highly selective alpha1A-blocker, which actually causes anejaculation, was effective treatment in 57% of the patients.

60% benefit from uneyaculation  :o , a big percentage.
In wich contry is thouse chosen 14? Do they know about us?

Silodosin worked to a certain extent with me, but the side-effects of extreme fatigue were worse than the POIS, so I reluctantly had to stop using it. It may well be more useful for other people.

Hopeoneday

« Reply #128 on: June 04, 2020, 06:19:51 PM »
Intresting, i hawe permanent CFG/ME and when pois hit me it is party.
Dr-pois.

Muon

• MCAD Thread
« Reply #129 on: June 04, 2020, 06:22:38 PM »
Intresting, i hawe permanent CFG/ME and when pois hit me it is party.
Changes in cytokine levels.

kingfisher

« Reply #130 on: June 14, 2020, 01:08:56 AM »
Hurray/Nas, did you try timing Silodosin couple hours before the O? Thanks.
As far as I could make out the Amstelveen study mentions a single dose rather than a continuous supplementation of Silodosin.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 02:36:51 AM by kingfisher »

hurray

• Lab1
« Reply #131 on: June 14, 2020, 03:51:26 AM »
Hurray/Nas, did you try timing Silodosin couple hours before the O? Thanks.
As far as I could make out the Amstelveen study mentions a single dose rather than a continuous supplementation of Silodosin.

That's a good question, kingfisher.

I tried silodosin both as a single dose and continuously. When I took it as a single dose, it was often effective, but sometimes a small amount of ejaculate would come out, triggering full-blown POIS. I can't remember whether or not I waited 2 hours before O though, perhaps waiting for that long would make single dose silodosin more effective.

quikot

« Reply #132 on: June 19, 2020, 11:17:23 PM »
Hey. Not sure if this has been posted. There is a study published on 15/06/20 by Japanese researchers. Conclusion is that NSAIDs are 'effective' in managing POIS.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/cia2.12123

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #133 on: June 19, 2020, 11:52:43 PM »
Thanks, quikot, sent to POIS Research Team.
10 years of significant POIS-reduction, treatment consisting of daily (365 days/year) testosterone patches.

TRT must be checked out carefully with your doctor due to fertility, cardiac and other risks.

40+ years of severe 4-days-POIS, married, raised a family, started/ran a business

Muon

• MCAD Thread
Re: POIS Paper Archive - a list of scientific articles about POIS
« Reply #134 on: June 20, 2020, 04:05:47 AM »
Thanks quikot, added to page 1. Atopic dermatitis again: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atopic_dermatitis

drop247

« Reply #135 on: June 20, 2020, 01:19:48 PM »
Hey. Not sure if this has been posted. There is a study published on 15/06/20 by Japanese researchers. Conclusion is that NSAIDs are 'effective' in managing POIS.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/cia2.12123

What is AD? Autoimmune disorder?

berlin1984

• Administrator
  • Use Adaptogens and Antioxidants, they can help.
« Reply #136 on: June 20, 2020, 03:21:40 PM »
If there is acronyms, they are usually explained at first usage. In this case:

In addition, he had suffered from moderate atopic dermatitis (AD)

Another trick for glimpsing studies: Read the last few sentences of an abstract for a conclusion:

Most of POIS patients had suffered from AD.1 COX pathways were reported to be regulated differently in AD patients than in healthy volunteers.5 It is suggested that the systemic regulation of COX responses causes the symptoms of POIS, especially in AD patients.

Muon

• MCAD Thread
« Reply #137 on: June 20, 2020, 03:50:47 PM »
They are refering to this paper: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S109888231300021X

"We conclude from this study, that in PBMCs from AD-patients in comparison to healthy volunteers, a systemic down-regulation of LOX- and COX-responses occurs to generally reduce eicosanoid/docosanoid synthesis during the current allergic inflammatory status."

From POIS paper: "Most of POIS patients had suffered from AD.1 COX pathways were reported to be regulated differently in AD patients than in healthy volunteers.5 It is suggested that the systemic regulation of COX responses causes the symptoms of POIS, especially in AD patients."

So the body downregulates COX in AD? Why do POIS symptoms decrease when you downregulate it even further? Doesn't make sense. Release of cytokines, which are able to upregulate COX, in combination with lipid production/release sounds more logical to me for this POISer.

hurray

• Lab1
« Reply #138 on: June 20, 2020, 04:34:34 PM »
I'm a bit sceptical that an NSAID would have such a major effect on POIS symptoms.

https://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.8900

That's the only mention of Diclofenac I could find, and Green claimed it only reduced his POIS symptoms by 20% or so. It's great to see new POIS research, but we should bear in mind that this paper only deals with one patient.

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #139 on: June 20, 2020, 11:39:21 PM »
hurray, exactly, a sample size of one is hardly convincing!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 12:59:07 AM by demografx »