Author Topic: Levodopa as Potential Remedy for POIS  (Read 10379 times)

Nas

Levodopa as Potential Remedy for POIS
« on: September 12, 2019, 03:50:47 PM »
Hey guys,

So I've been in this forum for almost five years and I've read many posts around here for so many different theories and different treatments based on these theories. It's suffice to say non of them worked for me. I've tried Niacine, Quantum's stack, Nanna's stack, Mestinon, NSAID's, anti-histamine's, etc. All amounted to nothing, not even a slight improvements.

So over time I went back and forth on possible theories and explanations of POIS. But the theory that made most sense for me, is the dopamine theory. Since my symptoms revolved around cognitive symptoms, social withdrawal, apathy and psychological symptoms, with very little if no physical symptoms. There is little better to explain my symptoms other neurotransmitter deficiency.

So I tried many treatments to tackle that, but it also was very difficult to actually tackle the dopamine receptors since in order for you to increase dopamine neurotransmittion you have two ways: 1- dopamine agonism 2- dopamine supplementation.

The first method is very difficult, it depends on taking psychoactive drugs, most of these psychoactive drugs are illegal due to their abuse potential, and other agonists that are legal are too weak to be effective enough. For example member Iwillbeatthis told me that he took bupropion which helped for a while but couldn't even treat a Nocturnal Emission situation. Another medical student in Syria told me that bupropion helps very little. I took personally bromocriptine which is most effective on the D1, D5 receptor yet it also did very little.

The second method is less difficult yet less effective, I basically went to the dopamine metabolism wiki page and traced dopamine all the way to the closes hormone before reaching dopamine itself. I at the beginning tried L-Tyrosine, it helps a bit but not that much. Then I tried L-Dopa (mucuna supplement), it did nothing. The problem with supplements is that they are too weak, and they usually struggle to reach beyond the Blood-Brain barrier. So the last possible way to get dopamine itself is to take the levodopa medication, which is the pure form of L-dopa, which it self is the pre-metabolic form of dopamine.

Long story short, I took Seinmet which is levodopa 250mg and Crbidopa 50mg and voila it worked. It made me more concentrated, more motivated, ended the sleeping problems and reduced time to heal. It was less effective on speech slur, memory and concentration (basically cognitive symptoms) and social withdrawal. But time to heal is lessened.

Note that it says remedy and not a treatment, levodopa didn't just bring me back to child hood days where I was fully functional and social, nor will it be equal to two weeks of celibacy. But it works; it helps a bit and for someone who found no remedy for this god forsaken illness this is a step forward.

PS: Take Levodopa with an anti-emetic (if you don't want to throw up) and B6 to enhance its metabolism into dopamine.

Iwillbeatthis

Re: Levodopa as Potential Remedy for POIS
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2019, 03:52:17 PM »
I'm glad you finally found something that helps!

Nas

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2019, 04:19:01 PM »
I'm glad you finally found something that helps!
Yeah man, been trying to contact you on the DM's but you no answer.
Try levodopa, it helps a lot!!

b_jim

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2019, 07:42:12 AM »
10 years ago I told with my doctor the possibilty to try levodopa.
But I fear side effects of all meds.
I never took any recreative drugs but I always said I'm curious to know if cocaine may helps my Pois or not. But too dangerous...
I've tried "natural" dopa/lvdopa like fava beans or blackcurrant juice without success.

I'm happy to see the med helps you, very good job.

Taurine = Anti-Pois
Lyme disease "cured" in 2020.

b_jim

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2019, 07:48:27 AM »
Be carreful with B6 : in a correct dosage it helps dopamine synthesis but if excessive amount , the effect is the opposite !
Taurine = Anti-Pois

Nas

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2019, 02:38:27 PM »
Thanks b_jim I'm well aware of the b6 dosage. I'm actually just taking levodopa alone without b6 but I'll also get it in the future.
I'm also very curious about recreational drugs, you live in France no? Maybe look for legal recreational drugs that target dopamine and see if they have any effect.
I also want more people to try levodopa to see if it works for everyone and not just me.

demografx

• Administrator
  • All of us working together to defeat POIS!
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2019, 04:52:02 PM »
b_jim, many years ago I don’t know if u remember, I mentioned your POIS dopamine theory to my psychiatrist and he said, if that’s true, cocaine might work.

BUT OBVIOUSLY THAT IS  VERY DANGEROUS  (AND VERY ILLEGAL)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 12:20:29 PM by demografx »
10 years of significant POIS-reduction, treatment consisting of daily (365 days/year) testosterone patches.

TRT must be checked out carefully with your doctor due to fertility, cardiac and other risks.

40+ years of severe 4-days-POIS, married, raised a family, started/ran a business

b_jim

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2019, 01:13:09 PM »
Thanks b_jim I'm well aware of the b6 dosage. I'm actually just taking levodopa alone without b6 but I'll also get it in the future.
I'm also very curious about recreational drugs, you live in France no? Maybe look for legal recreational drugs that target dopamine and see if they have any effect.
I also want more people to try levodopa to see if it works for everyone and not just me.

:D There are few legalized recreative drugs in France.
Some years ago, a specific dopaminergic anti-depressant called amineptine. But it's forbidden now (too dangerous).
The risks to destroy liver with drugs are too big. Years after years I consider my sexual life lost and I prefer to keep my other organs in good shape :)
But I alway search natural ways.
Levodopa appears to be non-toxic in long term. I'm happy it works for you.
Taurine = Anti-Pois

b_jim

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2019, 01:20:28 PM »
b_jim, many years ago I don’t know if u remember, I mentioned your POIS dopamine theory to my psychiatrist and he said, if that’s true, cocaine might work.

BUT OBVIOUSLY THAT IS  VERY DANGEROUS  (AND VERY ILLEGAL)

It's possible that cocaine INCREASES Pois if it depletes dopamine cofactors too. Or decrease if it helps dopamine levels. For science, for the Pois knowledge I would like to test, but I'm not brave enough !
Drugs is a exciting science. But I never be tenpted to "play" with my brain.
Taurine = Anti-Pois

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2019, 01:58:17 PM »
I feel the same way, b_jim

I just recently watched a documentary program that showed some very interesting “brain desensitization” methods possible with LSD.

But, like you, I’m too afraid to “play with my brain”!

Thanks again.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 02:39:43 PM by demografx »
10 years of significant POIS-reduction, treatment consisting of daily (365 days/year) testosterone patches.

TRT must be checked out carefully with your doctor due to fertility, cardiac and other risks.

40+ years of severe 4-days-POIS, married, raised a family, started/ran a business

Nas

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2019, 09:19:59 PM »
I'd honestly try cocaine if I had access to it because just like what b_jim said, it could either treat POIS or actually CAUSE POIS. Which would tell us a lot about the nature of POIS. If it causes POIS it could be in line with why smoking cigarettes causes POIS for me. It would be anecdotal evidence of the dopamine depletion theory.

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2019, 10:38:21 PM »

• It's possible that cocaine INCREASES Pois if it depletes dopamine cofactors too.

• Or decrease [POIS] if it helps dopamine levels.

Interesting!

I would like to test, but I'm not brave enough !

Me, neither :)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 12:33:46 AM by demografx »

b_jim

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2019, 01:46:34 PM »
Whan I was a teenager, I had sometimes several ejaculations a day (especially at saturday, to keep the sunday for recover my energy).
Clearly after several ejaculations I had uncontrolled head movements.
Exactly the same symptom my father has now (he has Parkinson's symptoms and take levodopa)...

Taurine = Anti-Pois

Nas

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2019, 03:33:53 PM »
God it feels good to be functioning socially when you're on the third day of POIS! sometimes I feel that it takes me at least 5 days so I can somewhat function socially after an orgasm.
Still I'm quite beat down compared to other people; have a tendency to stay silent, speech slurring a lot, unconfident about saying stuff, etc.
The spiral that this illness leads you is so vicious.

Muon

• MCAD Thread
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2019, 03:40:25 PM »
Does your mother have allergies or allergic like symptoms Nas?

Nas

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2019, 03:45:17 AM »
Does your mother have allergies or allergic like symptoms Nas?
Nah not really.

OpiesDad

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2019, 11:54:05 AM »
Hypothetically, if you were going to try cocaine to "treat" POIS would it be before O or during a POIS event, or in the window after O before POIS onset?

dizzy

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2019, 12:47:21 PM »
have a tendency to stay silent, speech slurring a lot, unconfident about saying stuff, etc.

Do you experience a tight jaw, clenching, etc.? I've noticed that relaxing the jaw can help a lot with speech. It also helps feeling confident. For example, I've noticed that relaxing the jaw continuously makes it a lot easier to look people in the eyes.
Male, INTJ. POIS symptoms: red eyes, ear-pain, anxiety, speech problems, pale/ugly skin, stiff neck, double chin, tinnitus, light sensitivity. POIS even after stimulation without O.

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2019, 07:48:39 PM »
Hypothetically, if you were going to try cocaine to "treat" POIS would it be before O or during a POIS event, or in the window after O before POIS onset?

Interesting question, OpiesDad. If it were me (hypothetically!) I would try it at POIS onset...to reverse the damage that is beginning to creep up on me. Just a guess. When my psychiatrist mentioned it (he was also being hypothetical - not suggesting to do it) I’m not sure he knew for sure either.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 08:06:12 PM by demografx »

Nas

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2019, 11:46:21 PM »
have a tendency to stay silent, speech slurring a lot, unconfident about saying stuff, etc.

Do you experience a tight jaw, clenching, etc.? I've noticed that relaxing the jaw can help a lot with speech. It also helps feeling confident. For example, I've noticed that relaxing the jaw continuously makes it a lot easier to look people in the eyes.

My jaw is fine, what I suffer from is more like impaired cognitive functions. I'm driven into bad connection with people, speech slurring, problem focusing on talking points, forgetfulness etc, compulsively.