Author Topic: My experience with POIS  (Read 2105 times)

special123

My experience with POIS
« on: May 13, 2019, 11:47:57 AM »
Hi everyone. I am relatively new to this forum. I am so grateful to have found this forum. I get the sense that we are here to support each other, and everyone seems very respectful and caring.

I am not sure in which thread this post is most appropriate. I guess I'll with a little backdrop about myself and my situation. I am 22 years old, and this condition has severely hampered my life. I didn't really firmly make the connection between orgasm and my symptoms until about a year ago. I always attributed the way I felt to other factors. This past year and the second half of 2018 have been a challenging time for me. I should note that I am also dealing with treating a chronic Lyme infection with a good LLMD, and I think the Lyme infection most likely has a part to play in this whole picture.

I first felt something was not right after sexual release when I was around 17-18 year old in high school. I was an athletic, intelligent kid, and still like to think of myself as one. Motivated, cheerful, outgoing; a talented varsity soccer player. I did well in school. I was driven, studious. One day I masturbated the afternoon before a soccer game that night. Immediately i felt strange and not right afterwards. I felt confused, lost my sense of surrounding, felt panicky. I could barely stand, i felt dizzy. I could not go to my game that night. I had to call in sick. It was quite embarrassing, but I knew something was wrong. Going to the game would be a mistake. I told everyone that I had a stomach flu. For about 4-5 days felt pretty much the same. Fluish, achy, dizzy, confused. I stayed in my bed for this time, not leaving the house. I had this constant internal feeling of anxiety which I had never felt before. I did not feel like myself; it was very strange. After about a week, I started to slowly feel better, thank god. About two weeks later, I almost felt okay again. A couple months later, I had another orgasm. Same thing. I felt like a completely different person for a week. Sickly, pale skin, irritated, lashing out at family members, strange thoughts. My jaw hurt and my teeth were hurting. I could not stand to be around anybody. I would not wish the way i felt on anybody. i honestly felt a little scared. I was not sure what was happening to me. Since this time when I realized something was not right, ever since then, I began abstaining from anything sexual. No masturbation, no pursuing relationships with girls, no interest in dating, tried to keep all sexual thoughts away. For the next four years, I would keep this inside of me, staying away from sex, relationships, etc... I did not tell anyone, because I did not feel comfortable. It was embarrassing for me.  I was practically celibate, except for the nocturnal emissions I would have every other month or so. I felt ill after these two, but not as bad as masturbation. Whenever I abstained, after a few weeks I would feel fine. As several months passed, I was feeling consistently great. This was the only way I could feel normal, and enjoy life. My cognitive abilities were great. I felt smart and capable, social, had many friends, childish energy. I felt like me. The only thing that would interrupt this feeling was the occasional nocturnal emission.

In early May of 2018, while at university, I crashed very hard one day. I had been feeling quite ill, fatigued, malaise, and some other problems for about month or so before this. Then one night I had a nocturnal emission. I woke up feeling like I was going to pass out from the light headedness, and could barely stand without getting dizzy. I had final exams the next week, and barely made it through. I had such bad brain fog, I could not remember anything I studied. I somehow passed the exams, but it was such a struggle. Now, I had felt bad after orgasm many times before, so in my head, I knew something was up. But this NE seemed to be the final nail in the coffin it felt like. All my health issues seemed to get worse over the next month; every painful symptom amplified x 10. I decided it was time to share this with a doctor, as well as my parents. I could no longer hold this in, no matter how much shame it seemed to cause me internally. My primary doctor didn't have a direct answer at first. He thought the symptoms I described were related to the lyme i had, etc... I had read about POIS online in 2018. All of the symptoms matched with me.

Fast forward to now. I am still dealing with this monster of an illness. I finally saw a urologist recently. She said yes, I most definitely have POIS. She gave me some advice on possible remedies, but said there is still a lot of unknown and no definitive answer. I told her how bad I feel from this shit. I told her everything, how I, an attractive young man, had backed off from all relationships with girls because of this issue. I knew that whatever happened, it was no worth it to have a sexual release and feel so terrible. I an going for a follow up appt. soon, and hope to make some more progress.

I have been abstaining, like i mentioned above, for a very long time now, but still suffer from nocturnal emissions. They mess me up for about a week. This week is hell. I feel so bad some days, such bad depression, brain fog, pain, that it it is so hard for me sometimes. I am not a weak person, and never want to appear so in front of my family, as they have done everything for me. I feel guilty for having this condition sometimes. It is hard, im not going to lie. I see my friends having good lives, successful in their studies, getting good jobs, having nice relationships with girls, and here I am having having to suffer for a period of time after every sexual release. These days, I feel it is getting worse. It takes me 4-5 days for the physical symptoms to slowly go away, but even longer for the psychological symptoms to reside. My mind feels messed up and crazy for about two weeks, and i have anxiety and depression that I never have otherwise. After about 2-3 weeks, I finally feel that my mind is getting back to normal. Life is good again. How it should be. I still feel my doctor doesn't believe me when I tell him how i feel from one release. It is making me angry. This year, I am on a mission to fixing my health in all ways. I owe it to myself to resolve these problems. This POIS has caused me to do bad on exams I wouldn't have otherwise. my grades suffer from this. My whole life feel its falling apart for two or so weeks.

I am not sure why exactly i am posting this. I guess im just looking for tips on how you guys combat this.

demografx

• Administrator
  • All of us working together to defeat POIS!
Re: My experience with POIS
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 11:55:14 AM »
special123, welcome to the forum!
10 years of significant POIS-reduction, treatment consisting of daily (365 days/year) testosterone patches.

TRT must be checked out carefully with your doctor due to fertility, cardiac and other risks.

40+ years of severe 4-days-POIS, married, raised a family, started/ran a business

Nas

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 02:38:41 PM »
Hey Special and welcome to this forum.

I wonder what exactly did the Doctor prescribe to you when it comes to POIS? I'm interested to see what she thinks of the illness.

Quantum

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 03:07:04 PM »
Welcome to the forum, special123,

I am glad that you were lucky enough to consult an urologist who knows about POIS.  That's quite rare, only an handful of doctors knows about POIS.  Like Nas has asked, it would be interesting to know what she has prescribed you, and if it helped you with POIS.

To answer you questions about "tips" on how to control POIS symptoms, please see my POIS Types Chart, where there is a list of many methods that have been proven useful by members to control their POIS symptoms  :  http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=2338.msg19448#msg19448

Please note that no one single method is efficient for all members, but chances are you can find inspiraiton there to help you with your symptoms.

Do not hesitate to ask questions if you have any.... and you will, for sure !
You are 100% responsible for what you do with anything I post on this forum and of any consequence it could have for you.  Forum rule: ""Do not use POISCenter as a substitute for, or to give, medical advice" Read the remaining part at http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=1.msg10259#msg10259

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 03:22:22 PM »

I finally saw a urologist recently. She said yes, I most definitely have POIS.

Wonderful to hear! It is so rare to hear of *any* physician who understands POIS!

We have a list of doctors who have at least some understanding of POIS (vs. total ignorance/rejection)
It would be teriffic if you could share the name of this urologist with us, either publicly on the forum, or privately sent by you to our PM (private messaging).

To me or Quantum.

But I understand completely if it’s a confidentiality concern for you!

Best,
Demo
10 years of significant POIS-reduction, treatment consisting of daily (365 days/year) testosterone patches.

TRT must be checked out carefully with your doctor due to fertility, cardiac and other risks.

40+ years of severe 4-days-POIS, married, raised a family, started/ran a business

fernab

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 04:35:18 AM »
Hi special123,

And welcome to our POIScenter Forum. I hope this Forum is helpful for you. Here you can find people who understand you much better than most doctors.

I agree with Quantum and Demo it's quite rare your urologist knows about POIS!!!

It took me 4 years or so to find a Doctor who told me for the first time that the most likely I was suffering something called POIS.... before this one I was seeing a lot of doctors. But but practically all Doctors I visited were saying that I had nothing. And that everything was in my head!!! Many of them recommended me to visit a psychiatrist!! It was so frustrating.... Until I found this one as I said who knew about POIS....

If your urologist knows about POIS this is very good fact for you. I am also very Interested in knowing what she says and if she recommends some treatment or not.

The simple and mere fact that she believes you and you can talk to her without being taken by someone with mental or psycosomatic problems is just an immense step!

As a general advice with doctors: Do not waste a single drop of energy on those doctors who don't know about POIS and therefore will not believe you .... It doesn't worth it or that you get angry. Just don't go back to see him at least for what is related to POIS. You will save yourself from trouble and energy!

And feel free to ask us any doubt you may have.

The POIS type chart Quantum gave you is a very good start point.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 04:38:34 AM by fernab »

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2019, 10:00:42 AM »

...But practically all Doctors I visited were saying that I had nothing. And that everything was in my head!!! Many of them recommended me to visit a psychiatrist!! It was so frustrating....

Thanks, fernab! Just to add:

From our Welcome Page:

“...fight the immediate reaction of some doctors: so just tell them, "IT'S NOT 'ALL IN YOUR HEAD'! "

Good article for those of you whose physicians tell you, "POIS is all in your head," :
http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2010/10/04/its-all-in-your-head-living-with-chronic-illness/

« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 10:03:07 AM by demografx »

special123

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2019, 10:21:05 PM »
Out of curiosity, how long do symptoms last for you guys? Several days; more than a week; or more than that? I should clarify that the urologist I visited was familiar with POIS but did not have any clear solutions to offer, just suggestions. The urologist relayed to me what we all know from the literature on POIS available; it is still very much unknown and many do not even know about it. I find that this POIS has been particularly destructive for me as a student in university (although I realize many others seem to suffer much more on this forum). A release can mess up my studies or cause me to perform badly on an exam due to bad brainfog among other symtpoms. I have also had to miss class due to feeling too sick, which sometimes is the case on day 1 or day 2 of a pois cycle.

COLM_2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2019, 12:09:35 AM »
Out of curiosity, how long do symptoms last for you guys? Several days; more than a week; or more than that? I should clarify that the urologist I visited was familiar with POIS but did not have any clear solutions to offer, just suggestions. The urologist relayed to me what we all know from the literature on POIS available; it is still very much unknown and many do not even know about it. I find that this POIS has been particularly destructive for me as a student in university (although I realize many others seem to suffer much more on this forum). A release can mess up my studies or cause me to perform badly on an exam due to bad brainfog among other symtpoms. I have also had to miss class due to feeling too sick, which sometimes is the case on day 1 or day 2 of a pois cycle.
Hi Special123,

Thanks for articulating on your prior posts, your experiences with POIS.

Although you may not have realized this, it can help other new young forum members know they aren’t alone. Also, you are fortunate in one small way, that you’ve now a great bank of things to try for symptom relief and you join at a time of awareness, being believed by any medical person and at a time of credible POIS research. 

As you mentioned in your first post, NE’s are obviously the thing that can really mess up a few days for POISers.

SO, in brief response to your question regarding duration of symptoms, it appears from 3 days to a week is the most common range before POIS symptoms retreat beyond an O or E. There are exceptions and it depends also on the chronic nature of a person’s POIS, and other possible underlying immune system DIS-ease.

Regards,
Colm
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 12:14:45 AM by COLM_2 »
Formerly user COLM (previous username accidentally deleted). Few decades with POIS.

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2019, 02:43:57 PM »
COLM, thanks for the duration/cycle info.

special123

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2019, 08:23:32 AM »
Thanks for the cycle info as well, Colm. I would like to share that I have been trying Hemp oil per the recommendation of my urologist after a release. I believe the brand of hemp oil I have heard about some people having small amount of cbd, but what I have been trying is Hemp oil. I think this hemp oil might be helping a little with the anxiety and brain fog aspect of pois, but does not alleviate any of the debilitating physical symptoms. Curious to hear if anyone has used  any form of hemp oil and experienced any relief? Many thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 09:11:36 AM by special123 »