Author Topic: Marcel Waldinger has passed away  (Read 9767 times)

CarloFrancesco

Marcel Waldinger has passed away
« on: May 13, 2019, 08:28:47 AM »
I am normally just a silent lurker but given the circumstance I am obliged to break my habit. I am sorry to inform you that Marcel Waldinger, who has done so much by first describing the malady which is POIS, has passed away. Besides the private tragedy what does that mean for further research? Did he have some unfinished work, ideas?

Source: https://professionals.issm.info/news/issm-news/in-memoriam-prof-dr-marcel-d-waldinger/

If this sad news is already known to the forum I ask the admins to delete this thread.

CarloFrancesco

Vandemolen

Re: Marcel Waldinger has passed away
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 11:44:34 AM »
I am sad that professor Waldinger has passed away. He died unexpected on May 1 because of a heart attack. I want to thank him for letting me be his patient. And for making POIS known to the world. I hope his family will fight the strenght to deal with this loss. RIP!

A Dutch article
https://www.nvvs.info/professionals/nieuws/item/1443-in-memoriam-prof-dr-marcel-waldinger
POIS since 2000. Very bad since 2008. I knew that I have POIS since June 2010. Desensitization since March 2011. I stopped with desens in July 2016. I have 50% less POIS. And only 1 day of POIS. Purified CBD works for me, but I am allergic for CBD.

demografx

• Administrator
  • All of us working together to defeat POIS!
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 11:59:58 AM »
Vandemolen, I am very sorry to hear the sad news!

It was only Dr Waldinger’s initial findings, in the early 2000’s, that made me finally understand what I was suffering from all my life!

Please convey my condolences and best wishes to his family and friends.

Best wishes,
And may he Rest In Peace,
Demo
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 10:49:27 PM by demografx »
10 years of significant POIS-reduction, treatment consisting of daily (365 days/year) testosterone patches.

TRT must be checked out carefully with your doctor due to fertility, cardiac and other risks.

40+ years of severe 4-days-POIS, married, raised a family, started/ran a business

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 12:08:34 PM »
Vandemolen’s article link above, as interpreted by Google Translate:

In memoriam - Prof. dr. Dr. Marcel Waldinger

Published in News on Thursday, 02 May 2019
MD Waldinger. On 1 May, at the age of 64, a heart attack suddenly died of our esteemed colleague, involved NVVS member, neuropsychiatrist and sexologist FECSM Marcel Waldinger. Prof. Marcel D. Waldinger worked from 1993 to 2013 as a consultative psychiatrist at the Haga Hospital in The Hague, where he was head of the Neurosexology outpatient clinic. From 2009 to 2015, he was Professor of Sexual Psychopharmacology at Utrecht University, and in January 2015 he was appointed Assistant Professor of Pharmacology and Physiology at Drexel University School of Medicine in Philadelphia (PA), United States. Since 2011 he had his own practice in Amstelveen, and later also in Antwerp.

Marcel was famous in the Netherlands and far beyond for his scientific work on premature ejaculation. He found a scientific home in the European and International Society for Sexual Medicine (ESSM / ISSM) and was an influential member of the former ISSM Standards Committee that developed guidelines for many sexual problems. The recognition of his expertise was also reflected in the fact that from 1995 he was invited to contribute to every new edition of the International Consultation on Sexual Medicine.

He has gained the most fame as the researcher who developed clear criteria for lifelong premature ejaculation. He assumed that an intravaginal ejaculatory latency time (IELT) of less than 1 minute, occurring in an estimated 2-5% of all men, was indicative of neurobiological aetiology (serotonin disregulation). This work not only facilitated the classification and research into the prevalence of premature ejaculation, but also research into the effect of drug treatment of this complaint. Despite his strictly neurobiological view of sexual problems where he did not shun the controversy, he was very critical of the role of a pharmaceutical company that tried to polish up the prevalence rates of primary premature ejaculation for the sale of a new drug and concealed that existing medicines work better than the new ones.

He also manifested himself as a warm and passionate advocate of patients with other rare sexual complaints, such as Restless Genital Syndrome (ReGS) and Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS). He believed that the emancipation of these patients was promoted by excluding a possible contribution of psychosocial factors to these complaints from the outset. In line with this vision, he said the term ReGS was better suited to the complaints that were previously described as Persistent Sexual Arousal Syndrome (PSAS), later Persistent Genital Arousal Disorder (PGAD). He saw in these complaints a resemblance to Restless Leggs Syndrome, of which pudendus neuropathy is considered the main cause. He assumed from POIS that it was about symptoms of an autoimmune reaction.

His strictly neurobiological view of sexual problems contrasted with his psychodynamic view of human problems. Few will know that Marcel started many of his workdays with one or more sessions of classical psychoanalysis to a few patients with whom he maintained a long-term treatment relationship that was consistent with this treatment vision.

Marcel was also regularly visible in the NVVS with his striking personality. He was one of the founders of the merger between the NVVS and the WVSD and was a valued member of the Sexologicum Concilium, the Dutch and Flemish professors with a sexological teaching assignment. We are shocked by Marcel's unexpected and premature death. Colleagues who saw him in March during an international guideline meeting on PGAD report his unwavering enthusiasm for the profession and his many new plans, including a professorate in China. We are sad about the loss of a respected scientist, teacher and clinician. We wish his partner Trudy and family and friends a lot of strength with this big loss. Marcel was buried on 5 May at the Jewish Cemetery in Muiderberg.

- Ellen Laan - on behalf of the Concilium Sexologicum
More in this category: «Call for proposals - FUND SOS Mandatory announcement of BIG number postponed after protest V&VN»
Back to News
ABOUT NVVS

General information
Board
Chambers and Commissions

« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 10:51:09 PM by demografx »
10 years of significant POIS-reduction, treatment consisting of daily (365 days/year) testosterone patches.

TRT must be checked out carefully with your doctor due to fertility, cardiac and other risks.

40+ years of severe 4-days-POIS, married, raised a family, started/ran a business

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 12:20:57 PM »
I am normally just a silent lurker but given the circumstance I am obliged to break my habit. I am sorry to inform you that Marcel Waldinger, who has done so much by first describing the malady which is POIS, has passed away. Besides the private tragedy what does that mean for further research? Did he have some unfinished work, ideas?

Source: https://professionals.issm.info/news/issm-news/in-memoriam-prof-dr-marcel-d-waldinger/

If this sad news is already known to the forum I ask the admins to delete this thread.

CarloFrancesco
CarloFrancesco, thank you for posting the ISSM News in English. Until you posted that, we only had the Dutch article provided by Vandemolen.

CarloFrancesco

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2019, 12:29:57 PM »
You are welcome.

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2019, 12:47:38 PM »
And welcome to the non-lurking forum! :) :)

Quantum

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2019, 12:52:09 PM »

CarloFrancesco

Thanks for sharing the news, Carlos.

This is a a very sad news, he was quite young, at 64.   All my sympathies to his family and friends.

This is a huge loss for the POIS community as well.  So we are all in grief, now.

There was supposed to be a new POIS study going on, but we had no news about it, Carlos, so we do not know if anything will be published or not, or if this study was actually going on or not.   We may never hear of anything about this project, sadly.

You are 100% responsible for what you do with anything I post on this forum and of any consequence it could have for you.  Forum rule: ""Do not use POISCenter as a substitute for, or to give, medical advice" Read the remaining part at http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=1.msg10259#msg10259

Limejuice

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2019, 03:26:34 PM »
Echo everyone else - this is sad news. Dr W put our rare disease on the map with scientific studies and publications. He also raised funds to perform the research. His contributions to our community were significant and won’t be forgotten.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 03:30:19 PM by Limejuice »

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2019, 03:35:26 PM »
Thanks, Limejuice.

certainlypois2

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2019, 10:10:22 PM »
Sad to hear this, especially at a young age.

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2019, 10:16:40 PM »
Thanks, CP2, remember when he addressed our forum in 2011? I let him write under my username.

certainlypois2

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2019, 10:36:47 PM »
Thanks, CP2, remember when he addressed our forum in 2011? I let him write under my username.

Was that when he published the desensitization paper, i didn't know he did that under your username. 
I was to excited about the paper being published.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 10:47:32 PM by certainlypois2 »

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2019, 10:55:52 PM »
Yes that was it, CP2.

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2019, 10:57:00 PM »

IN MEMORIAM - MARCEL D. WALDINGER, MD, PHD

Published: Tuesday, 07 May 2019
                  ISSWSH
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 11:10:16 PM by demografx »

fernab

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2019, 10:08:55 AM »
Very sad news! ...I could not believe it.... at 64!....He made it possible for this disease of ours to begin to be known in the scientific world. I join in the condolences for his family and friends. I think it's an important loss for all of us....

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2019, 10:11:37 AM »

IN MEMORIAM - MARCEL D. WALDINGER, MD, PHD

Published: Tuesday, 07 May 2019
                  ISSWSH

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2019, 10:12:58 AM »
Very sad news! ...I could not believe it.... at 64!....He made it possible for this disease of ours to begin to be known in the scientific world. I join in the condolences for his family and friends. I think it's an important loss for all of us....

Thank you, fernab. Your words are very well articulated!

b_jim

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2019, 10:42:56 AM »
Sad to read this.
Rest in peace dear M Waldinger.
I remember my first contact with you : just a short email explaining to me my symptoms may be Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome in 2005.

For the first time you and another french sexologist put A NAME on my disease. A NAME.
It could sound few thing but giving A NAME to my problem changed everything. And it was the starting point of our POIS adventure on the internet in 2007.

After, we have use your name, your scientific knowledge and your notoriety to convince other doctors Pois was real and not all in our head.

Thanks a lot Marcel Waldinger.
If a day a member of his family or a friend read this, I can promise you that dr Waldinger was a huge hope, like a lighthouse in our night.
Taurine = Anti-Pois
Lyme disease "cured" in 2020.

Hopeoneday

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2019, 11:29:45 AM »
Thanks for all you did for us. RIP
Dr-pois.