Author Topic: POIS NORD RESEARCH STUDY  (Read 124750 times)

demografx

• Administrator
  • All of us working together to defeat POIS!
Re: POIS 2021-2022 NORD RESEARCH STUDY
« Reply #420 on: November 19, 2021, 05:24:13 PM »

Has anyone any idea around when will the study restart considering everything?

A message from our POIS research team

We appreciate the patience of the POIS community, particularly given the long wait everyone endured to even get the project funded in the first place. We are still working on the administrative and institutional approvals that are needed to restart after the pandemic. While we’d love to give a definitive answer on when those roadblocks will be cleared, unfortunately, the timeline is out of our hands as we work through multiple different offices and institutions. That said, our commitment to the research has not changed: the project will get done, even if it has been delayed much longer than any of us would have liked.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 06:31:10 PM by demografx »
10 years of significant POIS-reduction, treatment consisting of daily (365 days/year) testosterone patches.

TRT must be checked out carefully with your doctor due to fertility, cardiac and other risks.

40+ years of severe 4-days-POIS, married, raised a family, started/ran a business

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #421 on: November 19, 2021, 06:27:01 PM »
Some forum members have expressed difficulty in accessing the newspaper article  link about our POIS Research Study, so here is a text version of that 2019 article.

Crowdfunded grant will help UNL researcher study sex-related condition
      By CHRIS DUNKER Lincoln Journal Star Jun 26, 2019 Updated Jun 27, 2019

Dr. Tierney Lorenz, our
POISCenter-funded
Research Study 2021-2022
Principal Investigator

Hundreds of millions of dollars slated for research flow into the University of Nebraska-Lincoln each year from federal agencies like the National Science Foundation and the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
Multimillion-dollar research projects that center on creating new materials that will make computers even faster or to study drug addiction in rural areas are a large part of UNL's $308 million in research expenditures this year.
But there are also research grants that fly under the radar while also advancing understanding of the human condition.

Take a recent grant awarded to UNL researcher and assistant professor of psychology Tierney Lorenz from the National Organization of Rare Disorders to study a little-known condition affecting men following ejaculation.
Through a crowdfunded grant totaling $31,000, Lorenz and California-based neuroscientist and sex researcher Nicole Prause will study post-orgasmic illness syndrome, or POIS, the rapid onset of flu-like symptoms in men at the conclusion of sex.
"It's a fairly rare condition, and it hasn't gotten much clinical attention," Lorenz said of the disease, which is commonly marked by coughing and sneezing, sore throats and stuffy noses as well as other physical symptoms.
Some men have reported cognitive difficulties such as a loss of attention span or memory loss. Symptoms can last for a few hours or as long as a week, Lorenz added.

“It's not life-threatening in any way, but these guys can get pretty sick, and the flu can take a big chunk out of their life," she said.
An online community for men who suffer from the disorder raised the funds and worked with the nonprofit National Organization for Rare Disorders in asking for research proposals. Lorenz and Prause's study of the "Autonomic, endocrine, and immune mediators of post-orgasmic illness syndrome" was accepted earlier this year.
The researchers believe a better understanding of the disorder could further larger insight into the physiology of the human orgasm, which could improve sexual health for all, even those without the condition.

It also signals a new track of research at UNL. Lorenz, who just completed her first year on faculty, is the director of the Women, Immunity and Sexual Health lab, which studies how sexual behavior in women affects their immune and endocrine functions, while also providing help to survivors of sexual trauma through basic science and clinical research.
Lorenz, as well as Prause, previously conducted research at the Kinsey Institute at Indiana University Bloomington, where she studied the suppression of women's immune systems during ovulation -- an evolutionary change to prevent the immune system from attacking sperm cells or a zygote -- and whether sexual activity modulates that suppression.
She said the forthcoming POIS study, which will largely take place in Prause's lab in California, is a continuation of her work understanding the larger immune effects of the sexual response cycle.
"It's a really rare condition in which the whole system kind of goes haywire," Lorenz said, "but when we understand how something breaks down, it also helps us understand how it works.”

Dr. Nicole Prause
POISCenter-funded NORD Study’s researcher/co-Investigator

For those of you who haven’t seen the original announcement.

Our POIS Research Team

https://rarediseases.org/for-clinicians-and-researchers/research-opportunities/research-grant-recipients/
(See 2018 Research Grant Recipients)

From NORD:

Dear Demo,

We are very pleased to tell you that NORD's Medical Advisory Committee has selected the following POIS research project for funding:

Principal Investigator: Tierney Lorenz, PhD
Institution: University of Nebraska-Lincoln
Project Title:  Autonomic, endocrine, and immune mediators of Post-Orgasmic Illness Syndrome.

With funding from POISCenter.com

Congratulations!  We recognize that this has been a long journey for the POIS community and are so excited that this grant funding will be used to support Dr. Lorenz and her team in advancing the field of POIS research.

Research Administration
National Organization of Rare Disorders (NORD)

Dr. Tierney Lorenz, our Primary Investigator

Dr. Nicole Prause, our Co-Investigator

The POIS data will be collected at Dr. Prause’s lab (Liberos LLC) in Los Angeles, but both Dr. Lorenz and Dr. Prause will be analyzing it.
www.liberoscenter.com
« Last Edit: March 07, 2022, 08:24:51 PM by demografx »
10 years of significant POIS-reduction, treatment consisting of daily (365 days/year) testosterone patches.

TRT must be checked out carefully with your doctor due to fertility, cardiac and other risks.

40+ years of severe 4-days-POIS, married, raised a family, started/ran a business

Limejuice

• Administrator
« Reply #422 on: November 20, 2021, 10:24:53 AM »

Has anyone any idea around when will the study restart considering everything?

A message from our POIS research team

We appreciate the patience of the POIS community, particularly given the long wait everyone endured to even get the project funded in the first place. We are still working on the administrative and institutional approvals that are needed to restart after the pandemic. While we’d love to give a definitive answer on when those roadblocks will be cleared, unfortunately, the timeline is out of our hands as we work through multiple different offices and institutions. That said, our commitment to the research has not changed: the project will get done, even if it has been delayed much longer than any of us would have liked.

The commitment from the research team is encouraging and comforting. Thank you for sharing!

Limejuice

• Administrator
« Reply #423 on: November 20, 2021, 05:32:17 PM »
:)  A little forum humor :)

The commitment from the research team is encouraging and comforting. Thank you for sharing!

Thank you for that, Limejuice!

Your Forum Contributions have been greatly appreciated. Since the Civil War years! (Remember Ulysses Grant and his bloodletting to relieve POIS?) ;D

All the very best,
Demo

;D
We will never forget.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 02:55:08 AM by demografx »

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #424 on: November 24, 2021, 12:09:30 AM »

From our POIS Study (2021-2022) Researcher, Dr. Nicole Prause!

Subject: New podcast on POIS

https://www.sexandpsychology.com/blog/podcast/episode-60-the-science-of-orgasms/?fbclid=IwAR0dpuxY1HFGruaie-wQhvVSfCdf3SQz1vBIEd7007y6Cyvr_MmF5t_LLXQ

“We talk POIS just after the break. I think his podcast is one of the top 10 in psychology in itunes?”

Thanks, Dr Prause!

Dr. Nicole Prause, our POIS Study Co-Investigator

Dr. Tierney Lorenz is our Primary Investigator

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #425 on: November 25, 2021, 07:59:39 PM »

POISCenter-funded NORD researcher/co-Investigator
Dr. Nicole Prause’s TedX talk on orgasm:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aK-zBBSqFV4

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #426 on: December 23, 2021, 10:46:16 AM »

PODCAST
Our NORD 2021-2022 POIS
co-investigator, Dr. Nicole Prause: Science of Sex, Arousal, Aging & Ejaculation

https://www.listennotes.com/podcasts/love-liberation/dr-nicole-prause-science-of-98YX5-oQ1eT/

Disaster

« Reply #427 on: December 26, 2021, 05:54:01 AM »
So the study still is not back on track? I have a new theory and I believe we should begin fund raising for a atudy to test it out. I posted on the forum. Let me know what you think?
POIS sufferer for over 3 decades. Has progressively gotten worse over the years and I became completely disabled around 2011. My case of POIS is very severe.

Journey

• MM group
  • INTP, 19 y.o. aware of POIS since 2019
« Reply #428 on: January 10, 2022, 05:55:43 PM »
Have we been scammed? Still waiting for the "administration work getting done"

berlin1984

• Administrator
  • Use Adaptogens and Antioxidants, they can help.
« Reply #429 on: January 11, 2022, 05:41:01 AM »
Relax :-) The world does not revolve around us and Covid made everything worldwide slower than expected.

I think there is a lot that one can fix for his/her own health without doctors or studies, so it's not like we're totally lost.

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #430 on: January 12, 2022, 02:04:53 AM »
Have we been scammed? Still waiting for the "administration work getting done"
Relax :-) The world does not revolve around us and Covid made everything worldwide slower than expected.

I think there is a lot that one can fix for his/her own health without doctors or studies, so it's not like we're totally lost.

Berlin, thank you for your measured reply!

Patience is not an easy thing for anxious POISers like us!

As Quantum confirms, medical research can be as slow-as-molasses! Even without COVID!

Disaster

« Reply #431 on: January 12, 2022, 02:54:04 AM »
But guys since there is such an incredibly long delay I think we should start fundraising for the next study. Why wait at this point? I have a theory that I posted recently and I think we should fund an Investigational Radiologist to run a study for it. I believe that we have a form of pelvic congestion syndrome and that the add blood and blood movement that is triggered by the Orgasm is what is causing POIS a large number of us.
POIS sufferer for over 3 decades. Has progressively gotten worse over the years and I became completely disabled around 2011. My case of POIS is very severe.

Journey

• MM group
« Reply #432 on: January 12, 2022, 04:28:27 PM »

Almost nothing has done much for my primary (puberty/first-orgasm induced) POIS and it seems to worsen with each year, some symptoms can be even on abstinence

And researches will help bring in more awareness+POISers+understanding

Some have so severe form of POIS+ME/CFS that they cannot do many things they could when younger and are constantly worsening psychologically and have tried a lot and nothing much helps them - you think it is okay that some POISers have it so bad that they risk losing many things in life and might have permanent psychological issues from it just because this far the medical estabhlishment has acted avoidant about POIS and similar conditions?

Journey

• MM group
« Reply #433 on: January 12, 2022, 04:30:00 PM »
But guys since there is such an incredibly long delay I think we should start fundraising for the next study. Why wait at this point? I have a theory that I posted recently and I think we should fund an Investigational Radiologist to run a study for it. I believe that we have a form of pelvic congestion syndrome and that the add blood and blood movement that is triggered by the Orgasm is what is causing POIS a large number of us.
Yes, it is possible to prepare many studies at the same time so why not? More studies means better understanding of POIS+data to show doctors/sceptics/other people

berlin1984

• Administrator
« Reply #434 on: January 13, 2022, 03:57:12 PM »
you think it is okay that some POISers have it so bad that they risk losing many things in life and might have permanent psychological issues from it just because this far the medical estabhlishment has acted avoidant about POIS and similar conditions?

Sorry! With the "Relax" i was just talking about the claim that it is a scam. I am NOT saying "Relax, POIS is no big issue for you"

I'm not browsing Reddit much but I see you also post a lot there..=> To be honest I'm quite worried about you but don't really know how to help.

Did you try seeing a doctor for your symptoms, but not mentioning orgasm/masturbation/etc? (you mentioned having general health issues)
How is your diet, what are you eating? Are there any things you might be over-eating or under-eating?
Are there any regular supplements / vitamins you take?
Are you getting regular movement outside, e.g. taking walks?

Journey

• MM group
« Reply #435 on: January 14, 2022, 10:04:25 AM »
you think it is okay that some POISers have it so bad that they risk losing many things in life and might have permanent psychological issues from it just because this far the medical estabhlishment has acted avoidant about POIS and similar conditions?

Sorry! With the "Relax" i was just talking about the claim that it is a scam. I am NOT saying "Relax, POIS is no big issue for you"

I'm not browsing Reddit much but I see you also post a lot there..=> To be honest I'm quite worried about you but don't really know how to help.

Did you try seeing a doctor for your symptoms, but not mentioning orgasm/masturbation/etc? (you mentioned having general health issues)
How is your diet, what are you eating? Are there any things you might be over-eating or under-eating?
Are there any regular supplements / vitamins you take?
Are you getting regular movement outside, e.g. taking walks?
It doesn't matter how much I exercise/eat/supplement - even a single nocturnal emission on my 8-month streak would make it hard to focus/think/memorize for days and give this tight foggy feeling in my head

Only two things that ever did anything for my POIS have been - just waiting for as long as possible avoiding all forms of orgasms/nocturnal emissions and having a cold for 3 days in 2020 February making POIS disappear during it

berlin1984

• Administrator
« Reply #436 on: January 14, 2022, 02:54:11 PM »
It would still be interesting to hear the answer to those questions, maybe someone has ideas or comments to it.

I've seen things on the forum that were really surprising to me. One high profile member had a vegan diet (-> high risk for definciences IMHO) but switched away from it and says he is cured (but through something else, not through the diet switch. but who knows what side effect the diet switch had?)

At least two members wrote they can't handle B complex (but apparantely never tried different B complex or leaving our certain B vitamins).

Those kind of things probably add up over the years and lead to issues. (Just my 5 cent).

And if even long abstinence does not help... then... maybe the issue is not only orgasms but general health problems. Orgasm is just one trigger.
That's why it would be interesting to know what doctors say to your case.

I can also move the discussion to your personal thread then we don't need to be off topic here.

You spend a lot of time posting on reddit, might as well spend some time for this :-)

Journey

• MM group
« Reply #437 on: January 16, 2022, 11:21:35 AM »
It would still be interesting to hear the answer to those questions, maybe someone has ideas or comments to it.

I've seen things on the forum that were really surprising to me. One high profile member had a vegan diet (-> high risk for definciences IMHO) but switched away from it and says he is cured (but through something else, not through the diet switch. but who knows what side effect the diet switch had?)

At least two members wrote they can't handle B complex (but apparantely never tried different B complex or leaving our certain B vitamins).

Those kind of things probably add up over the years and lead to issues. (Just my 5 cent).

And if even long abstinence does not help... then... maybe the issue is not only orgasms but general health problems. Orgasm is just one trigger.
That's why it would be interesting to know what doctors say to your case.

I can also move the discussion to your personal thread then we don't need to be off topic here.

You spend a lot of time posting on reddit, might as well spend some time for this :-)
Immunity can react to semen/prostate fluids/pathogens in them/certain neurochemicals that are released during orgasm/ejaculating the most BUT CAN ALSO BE RELEASED OTHER TIMES - e.g. there is substance x that releases a lot during ejaculation thus it being the strongest POIS trigger but it may be released by something else too in smaller amounts e.g. certain foods or semen production alone can make slight activation of it without any sexual stimulation thus for some symptoms emerging milder on abstinence or from other triggers

Hopeoneday

« Reply #438 on: January 16, 2022, 02:48:39 PM »
Journey, you doing a great yob on reddit, you atracted big amount
of poiser in only 1 year. You saving lives!
Dr-pois.

Journey

• MM group
« Reply #439 on: January 18, 2022, 08:18:26 PM »
Journey, you doing a great yob on reddit, you atracted big amount
of poiser in only 1 year. You saving lives!
Thanks, it is motivating to see that my efforts have results