Author Topic: Should I tell my parents about POIS?  (Read 980 times)

IWontGiveUp

Should I tell my parents about POIS?
« on: February 20, 2019, 08:01:17 AM »
I'm 17 and have been suffering from POIS for around 2.5 years now. It ruined my highschool experience and grades.

Lately my school performance has been the worst it's ever been and because of that my parents are on my ass ( I dont blame them since this last year is very important).

Now I am really considering telling them about it but I don't know if I should and how to go about it...

Up until now I've only told them about my fatigue problems and they took me to take bloods and they came back fine, Ive been to acupuncture aswell but didnt help.

I'm worried they are going to write it off as an excuse for my bad grades or not even believe me since it's such a rare/unknown disease.

But on the other hand if it goes well I could show them the forum and they could help me buy some of the supplements that are supposed to help maybe. Also it would explain why I look like a drug addict while in POIS hahah.

What do you guys think?

Muon

• MCAD Thread
Re: Should I tell my parents about POIS?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 09:07:24 AM »
I think you should tell them. Let them read this paper first for a better understanding https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5001999/
When they show interest after reading this article you may let them know about the forum.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 04:04:52 PM by certainlypois2 »

certainlypois2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 04:05:08 PM »
I think you should tell them. Let them read this paper first for a better understanding https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5001999/
When they show interest after reading this article you may let them know about the forum.

And if they are still skeptical, there are about 6 more papers about patients from around the world you can show them. There also two videos you can show them( one done by TLC in the us and the other by an Australian channel)
You can find links to those papers in the books,articles and references section on the main page.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 04:11:16 PM by certainlypois2 »

Muon

• MCAD Thread
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2019, 03:41:28 PM »
Have you already told them?

IWontGiveUp

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 03:20:44 AM »

No, I will post an update if I tell them.

Journey

• INTP, 19 y.o. aware of POIS since 2019
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2020, 11:36:41 AM »

No, I will post an update if I tell them.
Update
INTP, 19 y.o. aware of POIS since 2019 when realized by abstaining that O/WD gives POIS, likely had it since puberty, fatigue, brainfog, clumsier, slower thinking/processing, voice volume goes down, sometimes harder to look in eyes, lower stamina/strength