Author Topic: Why Niacin does not work for everyone  (Read 3589 times)

Vandemolen

Why Niacin does not work for everyone
« on: December 26, 2018, 03:33:31 PM »
Niacin does not work for me. There are more members who have this. Luckily at a few members Niacin helps. My theory why it does not work for everyone is that because Niacin releases histamine. That is why you get a flush. So I think people who have high histamine Niacin will not help. I read that for a member Niacin even makes the POIS worse.

The only thing that I do not understand is that a few of us think histamine is involved in POIS. So how can someone be helped by raising the histamine in a short time (people here advise to take Niacin on an empty stomach?
POIS since 2000. Very bad since 2008. I knew that I have POIS since June 2010. Desensitization since March 2011. I stopped with desens in July 2016. I have 50% less POIS. And only 1 day of POIS. Purified CBD works for me, but I am allergic for CBD.

itsmel

Re: Why Niacin does not work for everyone
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2018, 05:31:58 PM »
I haven't try but it probably wouldn't work on me either because probiotic trigger histamine for me and and I would feel like crap afterwards.

Hopeoneday

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2018, 02:54:35 PM »
As niacin is good remedy for nuber of poisers i must post this here:

Prostaglandin (PGD2) is the primary cause of the flushing reaction, with serotonin appearing to have a secondary role in this reaction.[23] The effect is mediated by prostaglandin E2 and D2 due to GPR109A activation of epidermal Langerhans cells and keratinocytes.[24][25] Langerhans cells use cyclooxygenase type 1 (COX-1) for PGE2 production and are more responsible for acute flushing, while keratinocytes are COX-2 dependent and are in active continued vasodilation.[26][27]

Flushing was often thought to involve histamine, but histamine has been shown not to be involved in the reaction.[23]

So here we can se conections with ours discusions here on forum,
i mean relate to prostagladins, cox1 ,cox2..
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 02:58:09 PM by Hopeoneday »
Dr-pois.

Vandemolen

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2018, 04:00:53 PM »
As niacin is good remedy for nuber of poisers i must post this here:

Prostaglandin (PGD2) is the primary cause of the flushing reaction, with serotonin appearing to have a secondary role in this reaction.[23] The effect is mediated by prostaglandin E2 and D2 due to GPR109A activation of epidermal Langerhans cells and keratinocytes.[24][25] Langerhans cells use cyclooxygenase type 1 (COX-1) for PGE2 production and are more responsible for acute flushing, while keratinocytes are COX-2 dependent and are in active continued vasodilation.[26][27]

Flushing was often thought to involve histamine, but histamine has been shown not to be involved in the reaction.[23]

So here we can se conections with ours discusions here on forum,
i mean relate to prostagladins, cox1 ,cox2..
This research says that Niacin causes high histamine:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23426511
POIS since 2000. Very bad since 2008. I knew that I have POIS since June 2010. Desensitization since March 2011. I stopped with desens in July 2016. I have 50% less POIS. And only 1 day of POIS. Purified CBD works for me, but I am allergic for CBD.

Hopeoneday

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2018, 06:25:25 PM »
I,msory , then wiki hawe false info...
Dr-pois.

swell

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2018, 09:44:53 PM »
Niacin makes my POIS worse so I avoid it like a beesting.  Strangely in ADHD world, Niacin is used to flush-out Adderall's effect at night.  So I use Niacin for that purpose and it works well and I have noticed that Niacin during non-POIS periods indeed helps my skin.

So you are saying Niacin raises histamine.  We also know Anti-histamines decrease histamine.  Haha, so since I have tried both un-successfully, I can conclude POIS is not related to histamine?

My theory why it does not work for everyone is that because Niacin releases histamine. That is why you get a flush. So I think people who have high histamine Niacin will not help. I read that for a member Niacin even makes the POIS worse.

The only thing that I do not understand is that a few of us think histamine is involved in POIS. So how can someone be helped by raising the histamine in a short time (people here advise to take Niacin on an empty stomach?
POIS Free, 2+ yrs (occasional/predictive lapses)
Pois symptoms: Peripheral (Skin: Urticaria, dryness, pale blotchy skin), Exasperation of: [Nerve weakness, Muscle weakness + Mental (CNS: Brain Fog, Irritation, Isolation, Speech lethargy, Anxiety)].
Other conditions: ASD, ADD, GA

Vandemolen

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2018, 10:07:36 PM »
Niacin makes my POIS worse so I avoid it like a beesting.  Strangely in ADHD world, Niacin is used to flush-out Adderall's effect at night.  So I use Niacin for that purpose and it works well and I have noticed that Niacin during non-POIS periods indeed helps my skin.

So you are saying Niacin raises histamine.  We also know Anti-histamines decrease histamine.  Haha, so since I have tried both un-successfully, I can conclude POIS is not related to histamine?

My theory why it does not work for everyone is that because Niacin releases histamine. That is why you get a flush. So I think people who have high histamine Niacin will not help. I read that for a member Niacin even makes the POIS worse.

I am sure POIS has something to do with histamine. For a few weeks I am in POIS state. The last time I had sexual activity was more than 2 moths ago. And I do not have NE. But my intestinal flora is ruined by antibiotics and candida. That is why I have high histamine all day for a few weeks. When I eat something with histamine all the histamine goes straight into my blood. I have no enzym to break it down.

So what I think happens after sex. POIS ruins the instestinal flora. But it heals after a few days. So then the histamine level goes back to normal. When in POIS you get urticaria. We just call it malaise.

But the state were I am in now is that the intestinal flora does not heal after a few days. Because the damage is too big.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 10:09:15 PM by Vandemolen »

Hopeoneday

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2018, 08:37:43 AM »
I think you are on to something, intresting.
Dr-pois.

b_jim

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2018, 09:27:06 AM »
If we knew how does niacin help some guys we could understand why it doen't work for everybidy :)

I agree with gut issue. But I would bet dopamine is the culprit :)
Taurine = Anti-Pois
Lyme disease "cured" in 2020.

Limejuice

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2018, 10:01:07 AM »
I agree with those who think that POIS is the result or ‘symptom’ of another chronic issue that needs addressing before it can be cured. Symptom medicating will be temporary in duration and relief, and is difficult to sustain and could be unhealthy over time.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 10:04:25 AM by Limejuice »

Vandemolen

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2018, 10:33:27 AM »
If we knew how does niacin help some guys we could understand why it doen't work for everybidy :)

I agree with gut issue. But I would bet dopamine is the culprit :)
Histamine stimulates serotonin, norepinephrine and dopamine transmission in the brain. Because histamine is involved in niacin it could be the reason why some POIS-patients find relief by niacin. Maybe at some POIS-patients there is a defect. So at them histamine does not stimulate serotonin, norepinephrine and dopamine transmission in the brain. But if there is a shortage of serotonin, norepinephrine and dopamine a stimulator has no use. Because there is almost nothing to stimulate.