21 (36.2%)
Only once or twice
15 (25.9%)
Occasionally
18 (31%)
Are you kidding?  I'm a pothead
4 (6.9%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Author Topic: Marijuana  (Read 12519 times)

traderwithpois

Marijuana
« on: December 24, 2011, 10:40:07 PM »
My psychologist, who is treating me for anxiety and depression, told me that marijuana -- among other things like stress and anxiety -- can deplete neurotransmitters which can lead to all sorts of negative symptoms like feeling burnt out, fatigued all the time, etc, and can even lead to other issues like gastro problems which I suffer from.

Curious is there is a link between marijuana (neurotransmitter depletion) and pois for some people

Vincent M

• Physical overshadows cognitive symptoms. 10yrs.
Re: Marijuana
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011, 05:37:30 PM »
I tried it 4 times at college a few years after I had already developed POIS. It had no affect on me.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 08:55:39 PM by Vincent M »
Taking ginger tea, no wheat, fenugreek+green tea/garlic, saw palmetto, niacin, boswellia, huperzine, B complex and nutmeg. See my treatment summary post for more info: http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=81.msg3513#msg3513

Daveman

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2011, 07:12:26 PM »
I think I'll have to start taking it again. When I took it (lots) years ago, I didn't have POIS.

Now that I don't take it, I have POIS. For that matter,"not taking" it coincides a lot better with my POIS, than "taking it".

WITHOUT RESEARCH THERE WILL BE NO CURE!
Sessions 5 to 9 days, mostly Flu-like, joints, digestion problems, light cognitive.
Niacin has changed my lif though, now 1 day MAX.
Somewhere in this interaction with Niacin is the answer!

demografx

• Administrator
  • All of us working together to defeat POIS!
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 07:14:59 PM »

Curious is there is a link between marijuana (neurotransmitter depletion) and pois for some people

I think it would be worthwhile to study marijuana's effect on POIS in a responsible research study.

Medicinal marijuana research has been deemed worthy of study of other illnesses, why not POIS?

It has been classed by some as an "active placebo", highly susceptible to the participant's mood as well as the setting or environment he is in.

So there's a possibility it could work on some people, and backfire on others. But worth studying, I think.
10 years of significant POIS-reduction, treatment consisting of daily (365 days/year) testosterone patches.

TRT must be checked out carefully with your doctor due to fertility, cardiac and other risks.

40+ years of severe 4-days-POIS, married, raised a family, started/ran a business

badgerstripe

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 04:42:56 AM »
I used marijuana heavily for 18 months or so when i was 22/23. Certainly the after-effects of using it - lethargy, exhaustion and paranoia are similar to POIS symptoms. Its difficult to distinguish if marijuana was causal in POIS as between 17 and 22 i used alcohol, ate dairy and gluten (which i'm allergic to) and had almost daily Os and therefore was in a very foggy state nearly all the time. It wasnt until i was about 27 when i did an elimination diet and started to isloate different causes for symtoms that i started to identify the post-orgasm illness syndrome.

b_jim

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 03:09:00 PM »
Never.
Taurine = Anti-Pois
Lyme disease "cured" in 2020.

pep

• for contact with me: apoisblog@gmail.com
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 05:19:49 AM »
Never.

No alcohol and no snuff.
for contact with me: apoisblog@gmail.com

Barcelona (SPAIN)

24 years old (1988). POIS since I was 21.

poisenglish.blogspot.com.es
poisspanish.blogspot.com.es

Going less Crazy

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 08:52:21 PM »
My sister smokes it all the time but she is also very successful, so it really just confuses me.  I'd say that she smokes it at least 4-5 times a week.  And here I am smoking it zero times (have tried it probably 10 times in the past) and have to deal with POIS.
My POIS managed with Diet (@ diet that 100% manages my pois)Believe my POIS stems from inflammation in the gut. O = neuro POIS from inflammation from the gut

supps: microdose zyrtec if needed for food sens. ibuprofen for infl. as needed. Melatonin as needed. Big Pinch Black cumin  seeds once daily

kurtosis

• Scientist, Engineer, INTJ type
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 02:19:09 AM »
I did a few times during college. Now I don't drink, smoke or do any forms of drugs. Who needs drugs when an O is like being drugged, beaten up and infected with a nasty virus. Or at least it was up until recently :)

nickman

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 10:59:14 PM »
smoking is the only thing that helps me

Daveman

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 07:24:54 AM »
smoking is the only thing that helps me

Others have mentioned the same. And in many parts of the world it is legal, especially for health reasons!

How does it help? With physical, cognitive symptoms or both?
WITHOUT RESEARCH THERE WILL BE NO CURE!
Sessions 5 to 9 days, mostly Flu-like, joints, digestion problems, light cognitive.
Niacin has changed my lif though, now 1 day MAX.
Somewhere in this interaction with Niacin is the answer!

Stef

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2013, 08:35:38 AM »
Hi All,

Nickman, it's very good to hear that at least something (marijuana in this case) provides you some relief.

I've read several clinical studies that indicate the potential positive side of medical marijuana -- indicating that it can modulate over-active immune systems in some really nasty auto-immune and/or inflammatory conditions -- leading to vast improvement. There are currently several very serious medical studies involving marijuana -- in pill and actual smoking/ingestion form -- going on at medical institutions withing the US and outside the US.

There was a study in France by one group of neurologists -- involving one patient! -- who suffered from a ghastly and very painful auto-antibody disorder (Isaac syndrome). He was on several medications for horrific spasms and pain -- nothing worked.  They eventually tried him on a course of THC in pill form -- ("Marinol" in the US/ "Dronabinol" in France and other European countries).  Within three months this patient was off all meds aside from the Dronabinol -- 20 mgs/day -- and was doing GREAT!

I spoke with the lead author of this one-patient study (which is not much of a study -- but there are very few patients with this dreadful disorder). Two years later the patient was still doing wonderfully and actually jogging! He couldn't walk prior to starting the Dronabinol, due to severe pain and spasms.

In studying this patient -- and trying to determine exactly what the Dronabinol did to provide this 180-degree turn around/improvement -- these researchers found that his auto-antibodies had basically disappeared as a result of the Dronabinol treatment. They already knew that pure, medical grade marijuana had immune-modulating qualities -- and the situation with this patient was desperate -- so their university approved its usage and the result was spectacular.

I think the key here is the term "medical marijuana" -- especially for POIS patients who in general seem really sensitive to many vitamins and medications.  (I know healthy people who have never been able to smoke recreational marijuana -- makes some paranoid, can induce panic attacks, etc). Recreational marijuana is likely not pure, and certainly doesn't come in specific dosages).

So --  with POIS, there may one day be a real indication for medical, pure-grade marijuana -- in pill or smoking form.

***Please don't interpret this as a suggestion to smoke marijuana -- it's definitely not meant as a suggestion, just a report on one very dramatic study.  

Once the cause of POIS is found through some solid scientific research, the treatment will follow. It boils down to basic, scientific research -- one needs to know what is wrong to try to make it right.

Stef
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 08:19:32 PM by nordnurse »

demografx

• Administrator
  • All of us working together to defeat POIS!
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2013, 11:26:52 AM »
I have heard that "psychotropics" like MJ can bring up levels of POIS-free significantly when used as an adjunct to a main POIS therapy.

Placebo effect or REAL?
10 years of significant POIS-reduction, treatment consisting of daily (365 days/year) testosterone patches.

TRT must be checked out carefully with your doctor due to fertility, cardiac and other risks.

40+ years of severe 4-days-POIS, married, raised a family, started/ran a business

Vincent M

• Physical overshadows cognitive symptoms. 10yrs.
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2013, 11:29:18 AM »
Great post, Stef.

I've tried smoking marijuana 4 times with no effect at all, but I don't know what kind it was. I'd like to try it in edible form sometime. The war on drugs has been a thorn in drug research and for people with certain medical conditions. I know if I had reliable access to adderall, xanax, and morphine right now I'd have very little trouble finding a job, but unfortunately the doctors I've seen are paranoid of the DEA.

nickman, I'm curious to know what your exact POIS symptoms are. Since cannabis helps you I'm guessing you have some anxiety and maybe some physical pains.
Taking ginger tea, no wheat, fenugreek+green tea/garlic, saw palmetto, niacin, boswellia, huperzine, B complex and nutmeg. See my treatment summary post for more info: http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=81.msg3513#msg3513

Egordon

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2013, 03:29:49 AM »
Interesting. I was a semi-regular marijuana user for awhile because pot did a great job of relieving my physical symptoms and the head/eye pressure that I would experience when under POIS (... and because it's fun, obviously). The problem with pot, though, was that any benefits I'd reap from the physical numbing were counteracted by the way that pot compounded my brainfog. I mean, when your disease impairs your short-term memory and cognitive function, it's a little counterproductive to start doing something known for impairing one's short-term memory and cognitive function. But whatevs. I'm glad it's working for someone.
POIS since I was about 15. 1.75 years of desens and I'm now about 80% POIS free. Still working through best practices for maintaining my immunity and administering my injections with my doctor. Email me if you have tips or questions!

marrtintintin

• Life without POIS.... so much power to be won
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2020, 12:57:11 AM »
My mum used to smoke it when I was a kid
So happy to be part of this community! Just a year ago, I was alone, nobody understood my “unreal” symptoms.
Digestion problems anyone? (I.e. using toilet every 3+ days) My POIS began as a teenager together with digest
POIS (13 or 7): photophobia, bloating, heavy brain fog, memory loss, muco