Author Topic: small fiber neuropathy  (Read 4817 times)

swell

small fiber neuropathy
« on: September 30, 2018, 10:03:18 PM »
I still experience full 7 day POIS (except for few tricks I employ sometime which cut down this period).  I have been in POIS for last whole month and it really sucks since I was trying few experiments.  Do others here also experience symptoms like burning, tingling, prickling in their legs?   Its a bit uncomfortable feeling like something crawling underneath your skin, a numb sensation feeling, and it feels so good to just touch and squeeze the ankles and legs, touch feels so very nice.  I have a whole apparatus of expensive massage equipment of all kinds at my home incl a 6k massage chair, its crazy (since I'm middle-class, and not rich at all).  I include this small fiber neuropathy as symptom of POIS since it increases during POIS and becomes less noticeable during normal non-pois periods.  Gabapentin works great but causes mental fog.  I assume others also get this tingling/prickling sensation in their legs?  How do you bear it out? 

Healthline.com says this: [b/w: I'm not diabetic, 19 BMI, and physically active].
Small fiber neuropathy can be the first sign of an underlying condition, such as diabetes. Other conditions that may cause small fiber neuropathy include:

endocrine and metabolic disorders
hypothyroidism
metabolic syndrome
hereditary diseases
Fabry disease
hereditary amyloidosis
hereditary sensory autonomic neuropathy
Tangier disease
immune system disorders
celiac disease
Gullain-Barre syndrome
inflammatory bowel disease
lupus
mixed connective tissue disease
psoriasis
rheumatoid arthritis
sarcoidosis
scleroderma
Sjogren’s syndrome
vasculitis
infectious diseases
hepatitis C
HIV
Lyme disease
Other causes may include:

certain medications, such as chemotherapy drugs
vitamin B-12 deficiencies
alcoholism
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 10:12:58 PM by swell »
POIS Free, 2+ yrs (occasional/predictive lapses)
Pois symptoms: Peripheral (Skin: Urticaria, dryness, pale blotchy skin), Exasperation of: [Nerve weakness, Muscle weakness + Mental (CNS: Brain Fog, Irritation, Isolation, Speech lethargy, Anxiety)].
Other conditions: ASD, ADD, GA

Vandemolen

Re: small fiber neuropathy
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 09:57:01 AM »
Did you go a neurologist? They can take a bit of your skin and look if there are enough small fibers.

I do not have that crawling feeling under the skin. But I feel a burning sensation in my back and my left foot. Do you have insensitivity for temperature? For example maybe you are taking a very hot shower, but you can not feel that. I do not have that. So I do not think I have small fiber neuropathy.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 10:10:25 AM by Vandemolen »
POIS since 2000. Very bad since 2008. I knew that I have POIS since June 2010. Desensitization since March 2011. I stopped with desens in July 2016. I have 50% less POIS. And only 1 day of POIS. Purified CBD works for me, but I am allergic for CBD.

Iwillbeatthis

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2019, 01:19:42 PM »
Swell did you buy the massage chair from nuga best by any chance? Because I was going to the one in canary wharf london and the lady was telling me someone else who had POIS used to come but then he ended up buying a chair/bed and stopped going.

swell

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2019, 01:14:57 PM »
Thank you Vandermolen for sharing this.   I have been to a Neurologist for nerve paresis and doc did CT scan but I did not get any diagnosis.  I did not get a skin fiber test.  I learnt about small fiber neuropathy just recently when I posted this thread.    But anyways, I fortunately have found the cause of my troubles.

Did you go a neurologist? They can take a bit of your skin and look if there are enough small fibers.

I do not have that crawling feeling under the skin. But I feel a burning sensation in my back and my left foot. Do you have insensitivity for temperature? For example maybe you are taking a very hot shower, but you can not feel that. I do not have that. So I do not think I have small fiber neuropathy.
Pois symptoms: Peripheral (Skin: Urticaria, dryness, pale blotchy skin), Exasperation of: [Nerve weakness, Muscle weakness + Mental (CNS: Brain Fog, Irritation, Isolation, Speech lethargy, Anxiety)].

swell

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2019, 01:22:58 PM »
Iwillbeatthis:  I live in US and have not been to london so it was not me.  Many time, salesfolks will just make up stories, so hear her with respect but some skepticism too :).  I have a Infinity genesis massage chair and tons of other massage equipment - love them all but ....  I am rooting for Japan to quickly invent a fully Human Robot that could massage - life would be swell (without any swelling off course).  Massage chairs are nice but sadly dont do a full job.

Swell did you buy the massage chair from nuga best by any chance? Because I was going to the one in canary wharf london and the lady was telling me someone else who had POIS used to come but then he ended up buying a chair/bed and stopped going.

Muon

• MCAD Thread
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2021, 12:16:32 AM »
Swell, have you done any test for small fiber neuropathy yet?

Journey

• MM group
  • INTP, 19 y.o. aware of POIS since 2019
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2021, 05:25:42 AM »
Interestingly the Valerian a GAD enzyme booster which increases Glutamate to GABA conversion works for the physically uncomfortable sensations I get in POIS too while in some ways making me more brainfogged.

swell

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2021, 04:16:20 PM »
I have not Muon.  I only recently seen a doc, and they hesitantly did some blood tests, and wrote some negative comments on my medical records, for bringing a huge list to them, and the doc making me understand :) that you dont get tests because you are 'curious' to find.  I did get a heart echo-cardio though (by jumping through some hoops).
My cardiac fitness came excellent, 105% of Maximal heart rate.  I do have a incomplete right bundle branch block (that I think turns to complete when stressed) though doc says its all normal.  I would be curious if you have had echo cardio, or other folks can share their insights.

That said, my small fiber neuropathy, I think, is resolved now.

Swell, have you done any test for small fiber neuropathy yet?