Author Topic: Developed POIS after antibiotic use  (Read 87544 times)

Simon66

Re: Developed POIS after antibiotic use
« Reply #260 on: July 23, 2019, 04:29:09 PM »
I'm not sure these oral supplements will reach the bloodstream intact.

The first time I took it, I had an erection the whole night in bed so I know it reaches the blood although I haven't been able to get that reaction again a second time.

I've been having some pain in my heart area possibly from taking a calcium supplement. When I took the 3 grams of L-Arginine today, it felt like a blockage clearing in that area, but I can't be certain. It also feels like maybe my mood is better on both Arginine & Lysine.

I've just taken 3 grams of L-Lysine (to match the 3 grams I took of Arginine earlier) because I think it balances with the Arginine. The Lysine I use is Now L-Lysine Pure Powder, it's a big white 454 gram tub containing just L-Lysine Hydrochloride with no harmful fillers. I've read that some people take the Lysine and Arginine at opposite ends of the day so they don't block each others' actions.

When I was previously taking at least 3 grams of the Arginine powder with 3 grams of Lysine powder, my face looked a lot healthier each morning whereas normally I look like death with dark patches under my eyes and visible blue veins.

I have ordered some Now Sports L-Ornithine powder to see if building my own Tri-Amino powder helps even more.
Disclaimer: Please research all supplements thoroughly and take them at your own risk. I am not responsible for any adverse reaction you may suffer.

Avoid all Fluoroquinolone antibiotics including Ciprofloxacin, Levaquin and Avelox.

Muon

• MCAD Thread
« Reply #261 on: July 23, 2019, 05:03:34 PM »
I've been having some pain in my heart area possibly from taking a calcium supplement. When I took the 3 grams of L-Arginine today, it felt like a blockage clearing in that area, but I can't be certain.

I'm having heart problems every day now. The hot weather is so hard to deal with, it's wrecking me. I had some gut pain when temperature peaked and feeling like veins were reacting abnormal on my head. I'm living like a vampire at the moment avoiding sun rays.

In a few days time it will reach 39 degrees celsius here, this could be problematic. Symptom intensity seems to be a function of temperature and can build up. At some threshold they can make an discontinuous jump and things might spiral out of control. I hope that will not happen. In 2014 gut pain (gut motility felt really low at that moment as well) and eye pain exploded at the same time at a certain temperature. There is activity in a layer just below the skin's surface, it's reactive to temperature, not sure what is happening there, it feels unstable. I suspect hot weather is inducing low grade inflammation in my body. I'm not sure why I'm telling this but whatever.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 05:15:12 PM by Muon »

Simon66

« Reply #262 on: July 24, 2019, 08:22:27 AM »
Do you have dry eye syndrome as well?
Disclaimer: Please research all supplements thoroughly and take them at your own risk. I am not responsible for any adverse reaction you may suffer.

Avoid all Fluoroquinolone antibiotics including Ciprofloxacin, Levaquin and Avelox.

BoneBroth

« Reply #263 on: July 24, 2019, 10:41:22 AM »
Do you experience skin discoloration (permanent or temporary) on exposure?

Simon66

« Reply #264 on: July 24, 2019, 01:53:38 PM »
There are a number of parts of the body that interact with L-Arginine such as the Arginase enzyme, Nitric Oxide enzymes & peroxynitrite (a harmful oxidant). I found a research article that seems to link these substances in semen to Zinc levels.

Basically, it says Zinc Sulfate can restore things to normality:

https://rbej.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1477-7827-12-1

So, I will try adding Zinc to my Arginine experiments.

Vandemolen

« Reply #265 on: July 29, 2019, 04:06:28 PM »
I do not think antiobiotics is the main cause of POIS, but it could made my POIS worse. One of the side effects of antibiotics is that it has an effect on the brain. It could be that I have more fears for pain and phobias because of antibiotics.
POIS since 2000. Very bad since 2008. I knew that I have POIS since June 2010. Desensitization since March 2011. I stopped with desens in July 2016. I have 50% less POIS. And only 1 day of POIS. Purified CBD works for me, but I am allergic for CBD.

Simon66

« Reply #266 on: July 31, 2019, 01:21:02 PM »
I do not think antiobiotics is the main cause of POIS, but it could made my POIS worse. One of the side effects of antibiotics is that it has an effect on the brain. It could be that I have more fears for pain and phobias because of antibiotics.

I too have anxiety and I also get OCD.

When I took the antibiotics, the anxiety became so severe that I was too scared to be in a room on my own and I had a strong desire to commit suicide, it was very bizarre. I guess my neurotransmitters and hormones were messed up. I still have vivid dreams every night since this antibiotic and sometimes they become scary nightmares.

I'm looking at different amino acids currently. I think L-Arginine makes my sleep deeper but it doesn't treat the vivid dreams so I'm looking at maybe taking some L-Tryptophan to see if that can suppress the dreams. I've already tried Glycine and L-Taurine which seemed to have no effect. I may try L-Theanine in future.

Simon66

« Reply #267 on: July 31, 2019, 01:32:38 PM »
It has been a week since I last posted, I tried taking only L-Lysine 1000mg 3 times daily (3000mg/day) without any L-Arginine and things seem to have gotten worse. I also retested Glycine and L-Taurine, they seemed to make me worse.

So, my focus is on L-Arginine for now. I've also been testing some Zinc Picolinate (Now brand) and it possibly makes my skin clearer.

One of my persistent issues is vivid dreams or nightmares every night, I'm looking at L-Tryptophan as a possible way to get some peaceful sleep without dreaming. I came across a research article that might link bad dreams to an overgrowth of bacteria or fungi:

Abstract
Antimicrobial peptides encompass a number of different classes, including those that are rich in a particular amino acid. An important subset are peptides rich in Arg and Trp residues, such as indolicidin and tritrpticin, that have broad and potent antimicrobial activity. The importance of these two amino acids for antimicrobial activity was highlighted through the screening of a complete combinatorial library of hexapeptides. These residues possess some crucial chemical properties that make them suitable components of antimicrobial peptides. Trp has a distinct preference for the interfacial region of lipid bilayers, while Arg residues endow the peptides with cationic charges and hydrogen bonding properties necessary for interaction with the abundant anionic components of bacterial membranes. In combination, these two residues are capable of participating in cation–? interactions, thereby facilitating enhanced peptide–membrane interactions. Trp sidechains are also implicated in peptide and protein folding in aqueous solution, where they contribute by maintaining native and nonnative hydrophobic contacts. This has been observed for the antimicrobial peptide from human lactoferrin, possibly restraining the peptide structure in a suitable conformation to interact with the bacterial membrane. These unique properties make the Arg- and Trp-rich antimicrobial peptides highly active even at very short peptide lengths. Moreover, they lead to structures for membrane-mimetic bound peptides that go far beyond regular ?-helices and ?-sheet structures. In this review, the structures of a number of different Trp- and Arg-rich antimicrobial peptides are examined and some of the major mechanistic studies are presented.

Source: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0005273606001404

Basically there are parts of the immune system that require Arginine and Tryptophan. Perhaps an overgrowth of bacteria or fungi can deplete the immune system of its raw materials.

Muon

• MCAD Thread
« Reply #268 on: July 31, 2019, 02:20:29 PM »
Serum tryptophan and serotonin are both 33 euro. If you got a group of lets say 20 men and want to measure both parameters it will cost 1320 euro. A basic paper can be written if there are results. We can argue year in year out about tryptophan and serotonin, nothing happens, it's all speculation so far. These things can be tested without doctor's permission. Example.

Nas

« Reply #269 on: July 31, 2019, 02:55:33 PM »
Serum tryptophan and serotonin are both 33 euro. If you got a group of lets say 20 men and want to measure both parameters it will cost 1320 euro. A basic paper can be written if there are results. We can argue year in year out about tryptophan and serotonin, nothing happens, it's all speculation so far. These things can be tested without doctor's permission. Example.
Agree, I think a crowd funded research attempt at brain parameters would be beneficial to this illness. 

Muon

• MCAD Thread
« Reply #270 on: July 31, 2019, 03:04:50 PM »
These things can be tested tomorrow. I didn't get any email back from the clinical trial lab. I've sent another email to them, I'm getting frustrated here. I want access to more parameters. If I get the green light we can discuss which parameters are of interest and start crowdfunding. If I don't get the green light there are still interesting parameters left to choose from like the above mentioned.

Nas

« Reply #271 on: July 31, 2019, 03:28:07 PM »
These things can be tested tomorrow. I didn't get any email back from the clinical trial lab. I've sent another email to them, I'm getting frustrated here. I want access to more parameters. If I get the green light we can discuss which parameters are of interest and start crowdfunding. If I don't get the green light there are still interesting parameters left to choose from like the above mentioned.
Maybe we can start a new crowd fund but this time testing the brain chemistry of POIS?

Simon66

« Reply #272 on: July 31, 2019, 10:50:06 PM »
I ended up ordering some GABA powder (Now brand) as it sounds like that is more effective at suppressing dreams than the l-tryptophan.

Simon66

« Reply #273 on: August 03, 2019, 08:07:54 PM »
I'm curious if any has done hair mineral analysis, I did one by Trace Elements inc. I had some doubts about the accuracy of hair mineral tests but the deficiencies are exactly the same as my expensive blood tests.

At the time of the test, I had low Copper and Manganese. Both of these minerals are used in the body to produce antioxidant enzymes called Superoxide Dismutase (SOD). I already know from an expensive antioxidant test I did that my superoxide enzyme is quite elevated suggesting I have a lot of oxidative stress in my body and perhaps mitochondrial dsyfunction.

Has anyone else done hair mineral analysis and found similar deficiencies in copper, zinc or manganese?

Muon

• MCAD Thread
« Reply #274 on: August 04, 2019, 05:20:53 AM »
I already know from an expensive antioxidant test I did that my superoxide enzyme is quite elevated suggesting I have a lot of oxidative stress in my body and perhaps mitochondrial dsyfunction.

Has anyone else done hair mineral analysis and found similar deficiencies in copper, zinc or manganese?
No but my mitochondrial function has been checked which was fine.

Simon66

« Reply #275 on: August 05, 2019, 05:08:22 PM »
Here's my latest list of supplements that I think have an impact on my condition:

1. BB536 Probiotic - I know this has some positive effect on my health, I think it boosts good gut bacteria.

2. Allicin Max (Garlic Supplement) - It feels like this one fights some kind of systemic overgrowth in my body, whether fungal, viral or bacterial.

3. L-Arginine - I think this does something positive at certain times, it may need to be taken with a tiny amount of L-Lysine. L-Arginine boosts Nitric Oxide and is supposedly good for fighting candida albicans infections.

4. Zinc Picolinate - I'm still testing this one, it may clear my skin. My working theory is it boosts the immune system and clears bacterial overgrowth of the skin. People often use zinc to treat acne rather than drugs like Accutane that are known to damage the body.

I had stopped taking the Allicin Max for a few weeks because I didn't feel like it was helping anymore. When I started again today, I had a heavy heartbeat for 2 hours and then I suddenly felt better than I have in a few weeks.

I did the same thing with the BB536 probiotic, I stopped for nearly a month. When I started taking the BB536, the next morning I was coughing up phlegm which from experience feels like my body clearing something.

These strange reactions to Allicin Max and BB536 only happen for the first 1 or 2 days so it really does seem like there is some systemic infection(s) that needs to be kept at bay. I am going to try and find some other supplements that might help and build some kind of artificial immune system since mine really doesn't work properly.

I have already tried Oregano Oil and feel that gave me a bad reaction, it felt like it was worsening whatever overgrowth I have. Oregano Oil does carry warnings that it can kill good bacteria so I guess I should avoid it in future.

Simon66

« Reply #276 on: August 11, 2019, 08:42:36 PM »
I'm aiming to take an extended break from posting on this forum. My problems are somewhat more complicated than POIS due to the antibiotics I took.

My protocol for the next few months is going to include the following:

1. Some combination of L-Arginine and L-Lysine: I haven't worked out the ideal dose yet. I need to be careful not to damage my kidneys with too many supplements.

2. BB536 Probiotic: I have some expensive high strength probiotics that I get from Japan, I've added images of the new (black box) and old (blue box) packaging below. I will be taking one sachet (50 billion cfu) per day for a few months.

3. Miscellaneous Supplements: I will probably rotate some supplements like Allicin Max (Garlic pills), a child multivitamin and may experiment with some fruit powders for their antioxidant bioflavonoid properties. I have a few other probiotics that I may use in combination with the BB536 such as L. Reuteri (Biogaia), L. Plantarum 299v (Jarrow Ideal Bowel Support) and L. Acidophilus (Lindens Pro Bio Live Max).

I still believe the gut has a lot to do with my issues. I know from testing my antioxidant enzymes that I have high levels of oxidative stress in my body which seems to manifest as connective tissue damage (spontaneous bruising, slight muscle tears & burning nerve sensations) and maybe other things like fatigue, poor sleep and low mood. When the oxidative stress was very high, I would get pain in my neck/ear cartilage and could feel that the cartilage was missing in these areas. After months of recurring neck pain, the hyoid bone in my neck actually started to come loose and now occasionally clicks out of place when I swallow food or water. During this horrible period, I discovered that taking the probiotic BB536 at 2 billion strength seemed to bring me instantly out of this state whereas taking Bacillus "spore probiotics" would put me back in that bad state. I bought a month's worth of this BB536 probiotic at high strength (50 billion daily) and took it intermittently over the next 5 months. During this period, my health improved significantly but I cannot be certain that this probiotic was the cause.

Long story short, I am going to be concentrating on taking 50 billion per day of this BB536 probiotic for probably 4 months and then I will report back with my findings. I want to see if it is possible to recover my health to levels I haven't seen in 20 years just by targeting gut health.

b_jim

« Reply #277 on: August 12, 2019, 08:50:54 AM »
It's not sure probiotics can influence microbotia.
There are pro and cons.

The first argument was stomach acid kill most of bacterias.
But some studies show some bacterias have a good resistance and a part of them (1% to 20% ?) can cross the stomach alive.
And of course, you can use gastro-resistant caps.

The second was even if you take billions of bacterias it"s few compared to the whole microbiota.
And even if you can influence it's a temporary effect. Microbiota keep its homeostasis.
The real way to make a real change is microbiota transplantation.
But it's a very recent science and under severe controle.
Unbalanced microbiota could lead to disease or death.

So, I 'm not sure these complements are usefull. Maybe, maybe not. Some doctors use the word "psychobiotics" so the influence migh be real.
But the easy way to have a good microbiota is to eat tons of organics fruit, vegetables and plants. Nature, cooked, sprouted, lacto-fermented...

Taurine = Anti-Pois
Lyme disease "cured" in 2020.

Simon66

« Reply #278 on: August 12, 2019, 05:46:49 PM »
Hi b_jim,

I have been doing a lot research on gut bacteria. From what I've read, the gut ecosystem is fully developed by the age of 4 years old and the bacterial strains are then not easily changed from that point.

I guarantee you that most probiotics reach the gut intact, I can feel the effects on the day after I take them. The real question is whether the supplement has been stored badly by the seller and the bacteria have died. The strain of bacteria is also very important, people think buying a probiotic with 30 strains is better than a single strain product but those 30 strains might be taken from a pig's gut and not be very effective in humans or those strains could not be well studied or they might interfere with each other. The BB536 I take is from a human gut, it was compared alongside a number of other human bacteria and found to have the best beneficial properties for human health.

I did a lot of research into microbiota transplantation (FMT), it seems like the effects for that might be temporary. I wrote a list of issues I have with FMT in this thread a while ago, there's a lot of problems they need to fix before I would ever try it.

The psychobiotics, as I understand it, refers to probiotics that can improve mood. I have a few probiotics that claim to improve mood called "Zenflore" and "Florassist Mood", they seem to all be strains of Bifidobacterium Longum. My BB536 probiotic is also a strain of B. Longum and seems to help my mood. I do think there is a link between gut dysbiosis and mental disorders like depression.

My experience of probiotics is that they can shift your bacteria in a positive direction but they do not colonise the gut permanently so they need to be supplemented regularly, the main difficulty is finding one that is effective for your particular gut. I have taken prebiotics like FOS, GOS and inulin but it feels like these feed the bad bacteria too. I also react badly to fermented foods and I think this may be because of the large amounts of fungi they contain, it is suggested that anyone with SIBO should avoid fermented foods.

To put my experiences simply, I have been seriously ill and tried everything possible to improve my gut (excluding FMT). Finding an effective single-strain probiotic like BB536 appears to have gradually corrected my gut imbalance and I will probably have to take it for life, which is fine by me despite the cost. I think I was on the very extreme of gut dysbiosis, pretty much anything I consumed would trigger severe issues resembling autoimmune disease and I suppose that is because I don't have much good bacteria left. I seemed to tolerate BB536 so I kept upping my dosage and now I can eat most foods. I still have trouble with fermented foods, possibly because they contain large amounts of bacteria and yeast which undermines the effects of the BB536.

When the providers of FMT fix the many issues with the procedure, I will gladly consider trying it. I still get the impression that the human gut doesn't easily allow new strains to colonise permanently so maybe the effects of FMT wear off after 2 months. I think in the future they will just put the FMT bacteria in a capsule and people will take it everyday like a multivitamin, it will be a 1000 strain probiotic. The other future technology with hopefully be Human Milk Oligosaccharides, these are the natural prebiotics found in human breast milk that help babies to build a gut ecosystem.

b_jim

« Reply #279 on: August 18, 2019, 10:10:07 AM »
I'm happy if it works for you. Keep us informed next months.  8)
Taurine = Anti-Pois
Lyme disease "cured" in 2020.