Author Topic: Why is POIS less hard during the summer?  (Read 10393 times)

Vandemolen

Re: Why is POIS less hard during the summer?
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2019, 09:15:35 PM »
I was not sexual active in 6 months. I am sick. I also lost a lot of weight and had no libido. My apitite came back and I am feeling a hit better. Because the summer kicked in I could not abstain anymore. In the last 3 weeks I think I did it at least 10 times. The weird thing is that I only had 1 day of POIS. I think it is because of the good weather.
POIS since 2000. Very bad since 2008. I knew that I have POIS since June 2010. Desensitization since March 2011. I stopped with desens in July 2016. I have 50% less POIS. And only 1 day of POIS. Purified CBD works for me, but I am allergic for CBD.

Investigator

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2019, 02:35:56 AM »
I keep thinking about POIS and the weather all the time. If I collect enough evidence of its effect, I would relocate once I have the chance.

For me the worst is a wet rainy spring (like this year). Sunny and pleasant days with wind work the best, sometimes the symptoms just disappear if I go to a mountain in a nice sunny (not too hot) day. Interestingly, however, cold but sunny and dry winter days work well for me as well. It was mentioned a couple of times "cold" days in this thread, but in Sweden and the Netherlands - I think it is cold and wet there during the winter. For me cold and dry (sunny) works well.

A possible explanation is nitric oxide, it has been mentioned many times in the forum (do a forum search for nitric oxide). You generate it from sun's UV rays, not just from the temperature. It's another thing you get from the sun, not just vitamin D. Even one hour of (appropriate) sun exposure can generate nitric oxide (and one hour of sun would have no effect on your vitamin D). Of course, it is very intuitive that one can't substitute sun by just vitamin D, there are plenty of other things one gets from sun. The nitrix oxide then acts as a vasodilator. It has been suggested in the forum that vasodilation can possibly open up some blood vessel or a capillary that allows [something good that has to do with nervous system or hormones to happen]. I like this theory, find it plausible.

One way to test it is through the following question. Say it is summer and you have reduction of symptoms. Do you have this reduction if you spend little or no time in direct sun exposure, just having the benefit of the temperature? If yes, the theory would be wrong. If no, the theory has some more grounds.

Here is then also an explanation of why too hot sunny days do not work well, at least for me: in these days, we avoid the sun altogether, can't get the positive effects from its UV. And also, a day too hot is always complete lack of energy for me, even before my POIS, so now I can't tell if hot days are bad because of POIS or just because of what they are for me.   

That said, of course, lack of sun is not the cause of our symptoms (so many people live in pretty dark and gloomy countries and have no POIS); however, it is possible that sun helps through nitric oxide to open up that small blood vessel somewhere and this might be what causes reduction of symptoms. 

The mystery for me is that I remember someone in the forum saying that he lives in San Diego, this is the best climate I can imagine, sunny, dry, mild all year round, and he still has POIS.

b_jim

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2019, 01:54:58 PM »
Dopamine = vaso-constrictor

We know that orgasm causes dopamine release and semen is rich in catecholamines.
It must explain why I feel cold just after ejaculation.

In winter, temperatures a lower and then vaso-constriction is stronger and then Pois symptoms are stronger.

To put in a nutshell, fight vaso-constriction in every way possible,  may improves Pois symptoms
Taurine = Anti-Pois
Lyme disease "cured" in 2020.

demografx

• Administrator
  • All of us working together to defeat POIS!
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2019, 02:06:29 PM »
Interesting, b_Jim!
10 years of significant POIS-reduction, treatment consisting of daily (365 days/year) testosterone patches.

TRT must be checked out carefully with your doctor due to fertility, cardiac and other risks.

40+ years of severe 4-days-POIS, married, raised a family, started/ran a business

Nas

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2019, 03:08:50 PM »

To put in a nutshell, fight vaso-constriction in every way possible,  may improves Pois symptoms
It will improve vasoconstriction related symptoms but not POIS. I think you're right, if it's truly related to dopamine depletion. Another explanation could be a dysfunction in the hypothalamus.

Investigator

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2019, 02:39:53 AM »

Very well said. I think this is why garlic helps to some of us. I am now experimenting with alcohol before orgasm and garlic after - both are vasodilators.

Aladin

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2019, 07:43:39 AM »
I bumped into this researching the candida hypothesis some here prone.
Could be a link to the milder POIS symptoms in summer...

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27865660

Guts

• Mute
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2019, 01:14:14 PM »
i have less problems in winter

demografx

• Administrator
  • All of us working together to defeat POIS!
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2019, 01:43:03 PM »
I experience zero seasonal variation.
10 years of significant POIS-reduction, treatment consisting of daily (365 days/year) testosterone patches.

TRT must be checked out carefully with your doctor due to fertility, cardiac and other risks.

40+ years of severe 4-days-POIS, married, raised a family, started/ran a business

berlin1984

• Administrator
  • Use Adaptogens and Antioxidants, they can help.
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2020, 12:54:32 PM »
Poll for Northern Hemisphere people.
https://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=3321.0

If you don't experience variability, maybe select all months.

berlin1984

• Administrator
  • Use Adaptogens and Antioxidants, they can help.
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2020, 01:16:36 PM »
It has been suggested in the forum that vasodilation can possibly open up some blood vessel or a capillary that allows [something good that has to do with nervous system or hormones to happen]. I like this theory, find it plausible.

Related thread:

Many things can cause vasoconstriction (narrowing of blood vessels) including drug use (smoking), hormones, temperature, etc.  If youre in a cold climate often that might cause it

Investigator

« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2020, 12:59:46 AM »
Actually, now I may modify the vasoconstriction hypothesis: it could be that the problem is not with the blood vessels, but with the cryoglobulins, making blood of higher viscosity. One POIS patient in a clinical-case paper turned out to have higher levels of cryoglobulins (++).

And yes, when the blood vessels happen to be dilated (e.g. with niacin, with garlic, with alcohol, or with heat) - sure, that helps for the blood of higher viscosity to pass. But what if the actual problem is more with the blood viscosity than it is with the blood vessel?

Journey

• MM group
  • INTP, 19 y.o. aware of POIS since 2019
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2020, 06:49:54 AM »
Actually, now I may modify the vasoconstriction hypothesis: it could be that the problem is not with the blood vessels, but with the cryoglobulins, making blood of higher viscosity. One POIS patient in a clinical-case paper turned out to have higher levels of cryoglobulins (++).

And yes, when the blood vessels happen to be dilated (e.g. with niacin, with garlic, with alcohol, or with heat) - sure, that helps for the blood of higher viscosity to pass. But what if the actual problem is more with the blood viscosity than it is with the blood vessel?
I've thought of POIS thick blood/viscosity link. It'd be useful to look at POISer blood pressure.

drop247

« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2020, 08:41:21 AM »
Would vasodilator substances also dilate the seminal vessels?

Mishlen

« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2020, 01:19:10 AM »
I haven't noticed seasonal changes on me. When i get symptoms my body is struggling with extreme temperatures. Cold winters are especially bad but hot summers are almost equal.
So if some of you feel better on summer, could it be as simple as increased vitamin D levels has boosted testosterone levels (though dopamin also elevates)?