Author Topic: Any markers or symptom relief methods for POIS speech challenges?  (Read 3245 times)

ThisType

Articulation and speech are some of the challenges I see regularly as a function of POIS. 
Because it has clear physical symptoms, it would seem one of the easiest to find an immediate marker or test for.  As a result, it may also be one of the simplest to find a bandaid fix for. 

on the bandaid side:
On my own, over the years, I gravitated to letting gatorade sit in my mouth and under my tongue while drinking it.  I've found this relieves the speech symptoms for a few hours (not necessarily finding the right words but very much on the agility of my tongue and lips).

That has lead me to wonder what immediate underlying cause can be improved by absorbing a mix of rehydration salt solution (gatorade) through the tongue and lips? 

I've mentally modeled it as having mildly swollen tongue and lips in a way that someone who was dehydrated might have. Or a lack of particular salts by those particular tissues that may not affect much of the rest of the body (perhaps the other side of a blood barrier).

What have others observed?  Has anyone found saliva or blood markers that correspond to speech difficulties associated with POIS?

Quantum

• Administrator
Re: Any markers or symptom relief methods for POIS speech challenges?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 05:13:23 PM »
Hi ThisType,

Interesting information.

I don't have speech problems while in POIS, and have no memory or cognitive problems neither - I have very severe emotional symptoms, akin to a personality change ( I am a kind a werewolf....) , and have also fatigue and hypotension.

However, you mention rehydration with electrolytes solution as helping,   For me, I have been using magnesium, potassium, and also salt (sodium chloride) to help me with POIS.  Those electrolytes has been helpful against hypotension and fatigue.  ( I still take magnesium and potassium in my pre-pack, along with many other things, and this pre-pack still helps me a lot after over 2 years).

I do not know what may be the link between what you have as relief with an electrolytes solution, and what I get as relief from electrolytes supplements, though.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 05:18:20 PM by Quantum »
You are 100% responsible for what you do with anything I post on this forum and of any consequence it could have for you.  Forum rule: ""Do not use POISCenter as a substitute for, or to give, medical advice" Read the remaining part at http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=1.msg10259#msg10259

demografx

• Administrator
  • All of us working together to defeat POIS!
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 01:08:04 PM »

What have others observed?  Has anyone found saliva or blood markers that correspond to speech difficulties associated with POIS?

Let's hope some others will reply here!
10 years of significant POIS-reduction, treatment consisting of daily (365 days/year) testosterone patches.

TRT must be checked out carefully with your doctor due to fertility, cardiac and other risks.

40+ years of severe 4-days-POIS, married, raised a family, started/ran a business

ThisType

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 09:24:49 PM »
Hi Quantum,
Thanks - I'm fairly squarely in the "cluster 1" symptoms http://tau.amegroups.com/article/view/11107/11778.  I do find that electrolytes help me with the mental acuity as well, though it's not every time.  Exercise that really gets the heart rate up makes a big difference there for me (15-20 minutes every other day will do it).

I did try a range of rehydration solutions and arrived back at gatorade as it was simplest.  I also note that if I have two or so gatorades in a day (or similar rehydration solution), that will give me a migraine (but that may also just be normal reaction to too many electrolytes). 

I also don't know the answer, but what I find interesting is the vector of absorption through the tongue and lips.  I have some trouble fitting this into autoimmune or allergy models given limited understanding (vs. something like: insufficient replacement rate of a key salt or nutrient -> swelling of tongue and lips -> challenge in fluency / verbal agility). 

I do not know what may be the link between what you have as relief with an electrolytes solution, and what I get as relief from electrolytes supplements, though.