Author Topic: Vagus Nerve Devices & Technology Advances  (Read 17395 times)

COLM_2

• Global Moderator
Vagus Nerve Devices & Technology Advances
« on: November 24, 2016, 06:16:07 AM »
Hello Gentlemen,

INTERESTING: Vagus Nerve Stimulation Content & Technology Advances – 2017-2022.

Video to Share with POIS forum.

For those of you who are interested in learning a bit more about the Vagus Nerve stimulation possibilities for restoring balance, healing and health for chronic POIS sufferers, I thought you might have some interest in what I have collated here recently.

Obviously this is the area of focus for our current research.

It is an area I have been experimenting with and experiencing some good results with VNS stimulation of late. I will update here later, having shared with the other admins and when I think I am sitting on more solid ground with experimentation.

The Video.
Firstly, I came across an interesting and credible documentary piece recently broadcast from the BBC. Unfortunately it will be protected content in many parts of the world through licensing. However, I took a basic video of the 10 minute piece that explains advances in Vagus Nerve technologies. Am sure Rutgers are aware of these things, but just to highlight again that potential for these developments for many with chronic illnesses in the next decade.

This sits in the area of healing rather than drug therapies to treat symptoms, healing being the area I am somewhat more enthused about although am fully appreciative of the benefits that symptom reduction offers, many of which are shared here with great intent.

Please note, as this is a video of a video, you will most likely require a set of headphones or good speakers to hear the presenter describe the developments.
Here is the link I have taken some time to upload (note it takes about 20 seconds to get going) and hopefully it will not be deleted for breaches of copyright. Am not sharing for any gain, so hopefully OK.  If it is, PM me, and I will explain how to get access.

Enjoy the video!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x53c2js_vns-stimulation-technology-developments_school

Another interesting recent article on VNS ... From USA TODAY:
“Biolectronics tries to shock patients out of drug habits…Why Google, GlaxoSmithKline and others are tapping the vagus nerve. “

http://usat.ly/2ekpjwg

Regards,
Colm
Formerly user COLM (previous username accidentally deleted). Few decades with POIS.

demografx

• Administrator
  • All of us working together to defeat POIS!
Re: Vagus Nerve Devices & Technology Advances
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2016, 02:22:24 PM »

Thank you, COLM!!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 11:52:00 PM by demografx »
10 years of significant POIS-reduction, treatment consisting of daily (365 days/year) testosterone patches.

TRT must be checked out carefully with your doctor due to fertility, cardiac and other risks.

40+ years of severe 4-days-POIS, married, raised a family, started/ran a business

COLM_2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2016, 08:32:41 AM »
Ok Demo,

More on the study by Dr. Kevin Tracey from the Feinstein Institute for Medical Research in New York whose study is focused on in the video linked above. The area of Bioelectonics looks like it may bring some breakthroughs with chronic conditions over the coming years, as they work out where in the body to target with stimulation through the nervous system, courtesy of the Vagus nerve.

http://www.feinsteininstitute.org/2016/07/breakthrough-first-human-study-shows-vagus-nerve-stimulation-significantly-reduces-rheumatoid-arthritis-symptoms-inhibits-cytokine-production/

Regards,
Colm
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 08:35:27 AM by COLM_2 »
Formerly user COLM (previous username accidentally deleted). Few decades with POIS.

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 12:41:47 AM »

I will report soon here...on a six month VNS experiment I personally engaged with and invested in, and some positive results on further symptom reduction.

Teriffic, COLM!!!
10 years of significant POIS-reduction, treatment consisting of daily (365 days/year) testosterone patches.

TRT must be checked out carefully with your doctor due to fertility, cardiac and other risks.

40+ years of severe 4-days-POIS, married, raised a family, started/ran a business

COLM_2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2017, 06:04:01 PM »

Dr. Komisaruk pulled the POIS project. Hugely disappointing for so many here, but Demo & Quantum have explained the reasons and perhaps it kills the VNS research.

No. You just brought it back to life.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 07:09:37 AM by demografx »

Quantum

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2017, 09:09:24 PM »
Colm, thank you very much for this thorough report of your 6 months experiment with Vagal Nerve Stimulation.

I am very happy to hear that you have significant benefits.

I also would like to highlight your perseverance.  You went on with your testing, even if the use of the device wasn't easy to get used to, and even if it took a long time before noticing any results.

Thanks for taking the time to share this on the forum!
You are 100% responsible for what you do with anything I post on this forum and of any consequence it could have for you.  Forum rule: ""Do not use POISCenter as a substitute for, or to give, medical advice" Read the remaining part at http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=1.msg10259#msg10259

FloppyBanana

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2017, 01:57:15 PM »
Can the participants that used the NEMOS now share their experiences of using it? Or is it they didn't even get as far as using it?

I got one of those Nervanas. They are so basic in its function though. The vagus nerve has 100K fibres and each requires stimulation at its own frequency. Stimulating the whole range possible is most likely overkill.
FB
30 years of POIS. Mytelase after O with Iceman breathing technique.

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2017, 12:18:03 PM »
100,000 fibres!

Hoping

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2017, 06:13:57 PM »
Thanks for the update Colm! I too am thinking of getting some sort of VNS device, though they're pretty hard to come by in the US. FB raises a good point. I'd love to hear from the POISers who participated in Dr. K's study. Since the study isn't moving forward, I see no reason they can't share their experiences with the forum. It's my understanding that participants did in fact use a VNS device. Demo- do you know off the top of your head which forum members participated? Have any of them spoken up since we got the bad news from Dr. K?
Experienced POIS since 2002.
My symptoms include: brain fog, depression, physical and mental fatigue, memory problems, social anxiety, concentration problems, myalgia, inflammation.

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2017, 10:36:10 PM »

None have come forward and spoken up, yet, Hoping :(

« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 06:50:26 AM by demografx »

Habibou

• Lab1
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2017, 04:02:36 PM »
That would be very helpful to get some feedback so we can try to explore this on our own !

Colm, could you please remind us how you got the VNS device and how you got to know how to use it, please? :)
Brain fog 90%  + tired all the time ,sport intolerance, fast heartbeat, colon inflammation

tirasoft

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2017, 04:01:14 AM »
Here is a BBC podcast about Vagus Nerve stimulation researches done by various medical researchers

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3WKgio4JDNOQjlTQVhEYjhWdE0

COLM_2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2017, 12:58:55 AM »
Great podcast Tirasoft, thanks for posting. It is very exciting the potential developments and possibilities for the future of chronic illness, beyond medications.

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2017, 10:25:57 PM »
Thank you, COLM and tirasoft. We paid dearly to explore tVNS so it’s great to see the subject is alive & well! :)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 09:36:02 PM by demografx »

COLM_2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2017, 01:53:58 PM »
5th NOVEMBER 2017.

COLM’S ONE YEAR VNS TRIAL UPDATE.
BELOW IS MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE AND NOT A RECOMMENDATION FOR OTHERS. PLEASE ALWAYS MAKE YOUR OWN INFORMED EVALUATION ON TREATMENTS FOR YOU.

I have continued with the use of the Nervana Vagus Nerve Stimulation device on a daily basis, for my wellbeing and POIS symptom reduction. This is a slightly delayed update.

My usage of the device now spans one full year on a daily basis.

Below I am also going to re-share my six months previously published update, which for some reason fell off the forum posts shortly after its posting.

Vagus Nerve background.
The Vagus Nerve, as research is now proving, has an influence over potential healing in some autoimmune and inflammatory conditions. Possible characteristics that are also present with POIS as a syndrome.

Vagus nerve stimulation (VNS) benefits have been known about in medical circles for a long time. Specifically known in credible medical circles is the positive impact of using a targeted form of stimulation through an operative procedure where a neck implanted device is inserted, for treating epilepsy.

Other VNS implantable neck devices are currently being manufactured for research and selective treatment of other conditions like Arthritis, and with apparent success. Some information on these is at my prior posts in this thread. Forum member Tirasoft has kindly also posted another useful piece about Vagus Nerve & Bioscience developments for autoimmune conditions recently above.

Work is ongoing in the world of Biosciences to research, validate & use Nerve stimulation rather than pure drug treatments for previously intractable and chronic conditions.

MY NOVEMBER 2017 1 YEAR USAGE UPDATED COMMENTS, FROM MY APRIL 2017 MEASURES BELOW.

What am I noticing overall? It still has NOT fully cured my POIS however…

1. My overall mood has remained very stable, generally and also within my 3 day POIS cascade of symptoms.

2. I am much calmer and would assess that on a 10 point scale, my (NOV 2017) POIS related depression and other symptoms continues to be maintained at a low level. It can go from a 5 out of 10 (in POIS) up to a wellness now of 8 out of 10 on some days, outside of POIS. This is a further improvement, which I am happy with. Overall I am looking at a 3/4 points (on a 10 points scale) of improvements in most symptoms over this one year extended period of use (along with my other methods). This has all been during some quite stressful life and work times. I notice I also deal with work stress a whole lot better this last 6 months in particular.

3. Perhaps the effect of the VNS stimulation is over time, and also that it is a reduction in dis-ease within our system and related to the way serotonin is re-up taken or perhaps the release of dopamine or endorphins through VNS. The blood brain axis may be impacted in a positive way also. Improvements for me has undoubtedly been assisted with a healthier gut approach also & with Buteyko breathing.

Honestly I can’t say for certain if without adopting the Gut healing & Buteyko approaches would I have had this level of improvement, I honestly don’t know, but I think I could. Being late 50's also means I have naturally less time in POIS as I can also refrain from O if I need to. It MAY have helped wit healing, but I don't think it was the main contributor. 

4. I sustain my weight, and while eating less food. I don’t comfort eat now at all.

5. My friends and family notice that that I am in good form most days.

6. I don't need now any more than six hour night time, sleep. I wake early ready for the day. Four years back, I felt awful most mornings.

BELOW FROM MY 6 MONTH UPDATE, POSTED APRIL 2017.
Report On My Six Month Trial with VNS, Oct 2017 to April 2017.

I believe the introduction for us to the world of the Vagus Nerve in our study has a legacy with some potential.

I for one had never heard of the Vagus Nerve 3 years ago, but am pleased that I did (as a result of our study)! 

The original research study theory of (some of our) POIS symptomology as having its roots as a case of “Vagal Dystonia”, may have been somewhat on track I  believe, and may have credibility as one key aspect (for some people and for the cognitive, mental and emotional aspects) of our healing from POIS.

As some know here, I share an almost lifelong POIS 40 year challenge with Quantum, Demo and others.

Been there, done that over decades with all the tried this/tried that, the false hopes and the pipe dreams and delusions around what could help stop the negative effects from sex. Spent thousands, wasted thousands of hours trying to solve this absolutely horrible syndrome, and doing this in silence made it worse, until I found this great forum and the great people involved, that was about four years back. Like many of you, I found that knowing you aren't the only one with this condition is helpful. Spent decades believing no one else had this, which is very isolating.

Reading the information at the site also allowed me, with a non-researchers mind, to try different things. In particular, as I personally value a more holistic approach to symptom reduction, rather than drug therapy approach, I initially zoned in on (with good effect) to a gut-healing approach along with keeping fit. Having met and worked with a great nutritionist almost 4 years back was a good start, as I had gut issues that were contributing to the terrible cascading effects after an O. Formal gut analysis showed issues in my report from a gut analysis clinic. 

Information here helped, specifically the supplements discussions, like Quantum's pre and post O supplements. Matcha high quality green tea also a great addition in recovery for me.

My main POIS symptoms outlined below had included for a long time up to 3 years ago, and many below were severe, specifically within POIS.

Physical: Headaches, Seborrheic dermatitis, severe allergy to direct sunlight/UVA and sensitivity to bright light, chronic sinusitis & histamine issues, difficulty with handwriting. Also had a test that showed food allergy to milk and a microbial imbalance.

Cognitive & Mental: Brain fog, lack of clarity, stressful thinking.

Emotional: Depression, social phobia, irritability & panic attacks.

SO, to the Vagus approach & my VNS six month trial.

With some evolving knowledge of the Vagus nerve and the potential for using it in a positive manner as an anti-dote to above and to this possible Autoimmune/ Inflammatory syndrome, I have trialled this system.

Please note in the last 3 years, that a gut healing approach and also daily practice of the Buteyko Nasal breathing process, along with exercise are extra pieces in my own healing jigsaw. I recommend you evaluate Buteyko, specifically for sports enthusiasts or those with respirator issues. The book www.oxygenadvantage.com and Buteyko site http://buteykoclinic.com are sites I recommend for evaluating Buteyko as a potential tool kit. It (the nasal breathing volume & sleep techniques of buteyko) helped me reduce my dependency on cortisone nasal sprays by 75% and has given me fitness on long cycling spins and running, well beyond my age expectations. Am now fit well beyond my years.

This however (@ April 2017) is a review of my experience thus far with Vagus Nerve Stimulation, which I have experimented with in a disciplined manner since six months back (Oct 2016), after I received what is called the Nervana Vagus Nerve Stimulator, as mentioned also at POIS forum.

I have used this VNS on a daily basis and for at least 2 daily sessions, and sometimes 3 * 30/45 minute sessions per day.

My own personal experiences are positive, but I am not advocating that anyone else purchases this product. It is expensive and may or may not help others. I don’t know. I do recommend it worth evaluating as part of your healing approach however, if you think you have chronic symptoms that are caused by dis-ease in your physiology and brain from POIS.

If you decide to invest in a Nervana VNS, please be careful and start slowly with usage and give it at least six months of commitment & efforts, to properly evaluate its impact on your POIS symptoms.

As this is a product that can be used while sitting, relaxing, just listening to music or indeed "on the go"  carrying on with day to day tasks - excluding operating anything mechanical - it isn't very difficult to use or test it consistently.

Something like practicing a consistent form of meditation in my opinion requires more discipline than using this method of relaxation.

What is the Nervana Vagus Nerve Stimulator?

It is a 2016 product launched, commercially available device that emits a Vagus Nerve signal via a specially designed ear piece, making a stimulatory connection to the nerve, through the left ear canal.

It is intended to generally stimulate the Vagus Nerve, which is a Nerve that interfaces with parasympathetic control of the heart, lungs and somewhat controlling and influencing the digestive tract in a positive manner.

My impressions pre-usage.
I had seen a lot of hype and over-the-top-marketing & hype of this Nervana system, including a slot on the Doctors TV which was laughable. The founders and designers however seemed credible. I was however VERY sceptical about the product initially, but with the usual ‘will try anything’, I ploughed ahead and invested. The various claims about its supposed immediate positive impacts were not experience by myself, but longer term I will say that they have been.

My own overall usage experience.
On receiving the device, it took me some time in online research of various vendor videos and reading the accompanying instructions to be certain of how to use it. It is a little cumbersome at first to use correctly. I was however motivated to do so and continue to try it. It helped that I enjoy music, and the VNS works best while listening to up-tempo music with a beat and indeed soft rock music, the left earpiece faithfully doing its business. There are also additional suggestions available on the best type of music to use it with.

If music isn’t your thing, it also has a setting for what is called an "Ambient mode" which enables you to receive the signal while going about activity in your own environment, without using music, still getting the signal.

Note, there are various ear bud sizes that come with the system, and it takes a bit of time to find the best fit, as without the correct fit, you don’t get the tingle.

Additionally you need to add some saline or salt water spray (dispenser provided) to the earbud to ensure it makes a proper connection into the ear canal entry so it provides the appropriate stimulation.

In the first few weeks I went with a very low "calibration" of the VNS signal, as with POIS type depression at the time, I was not going to take any risk in making my symptoms worse. There is a calibration dial on the front of the device to set from 1 – 25 in strength.

I always wanted to ensure I was using the device correctly and safely.

During this time, curiously as I googled more about it and the reviews, I had seen online that quite a few people were sending their device back after only a couple of weeks. Am not surprised as the marketing hype had originally alluded to euphoria after a few listens. That’s BS and not realistic. Initially I found some minor adverse effect in using the VNS, so took it very easy, but am happy that I persisted with its use. I also would have sent it back after a few weeks but I knew my situation was chronic and multi-faceted, so I was interested to proceed and give a fair trial of VNS alongside my other regime.

Many people complained that the music quality when docking the system through their phone / music device was very poor. It's ok not that bad. However, there is a way around to full sound and bass quality that is gained by buying better quality large headphones that fit over your ears, while keeping the same left VNS signal earbud in place with the headphones over them. There’s extra things you can buy to enhance the music experience.

After 3/4 months of use, in particular I was noticing the positive impact on my parasympathetic nervous system and lowering of stress levels. I have found the tool initially had a slower but impactful build to definitely lowering my POIS Symptoms of decades standing.

Over the six months (to April 20-7), I had increased the intensity of the signal I used, to where I am comfortably able to use it at full throttle now 2/3 times a day now and will continue to do so.

I used meditate for many years which didn’t really help. For me however, I find this VNS is having a much better effect for me than meditation.

@ 6 MONTHS, APRIL 2017: What am I noticing overall? It has NOT cured my POIS however…

1. My overall mood has stabilised, generally and also within the 3 day POIS symptoms.

2. I am calmer and would assess that on a 10 point scale, my POIS related depression, which 6 months ago could go as low as a 2 in the POIS three day cycle and up to a max of 4.5 outside of pois, is now I am happy to report consistently at a lowest
score of 4 within POIS phase and up to a 7/10 on some days, outside of POIS. This is a good improvement, which I am happy with. Overall am looking at a 2/3 point (on a 10 points scale) improvement in most symptoms, over this six month period.

3. Perhaps the effect of the VNS is that it is related to the way serotonin is re-up taken or perhaps the release of dopamine or endorphins through VNS, allied with a healthier gut approach & Buteyko breathing, I can now even tolerate a couple of alcoholic drinks, without a depressive adverse effect which I always had with alcohol for decades. Honestly I can’t say if without the Gut healing & Buteyko would I have had this improvement, I honestly don’t know, but I think I could.

4. I have started to put on weight for the first time in decades, while eating less food. I don’t comfort east as much.

5. My family members and friends have been remarking on occasion that I look fit/well, something I haven't heard said in decades, because in truth I know that I didn't look healthy.

6. I can sleep through a 7 hour night time, whereas before I would always wake in the middle of the night.

7. I feel quite well in the morning when I awake, had gradually improved over the last 2 years. I used feel like I had been run over by a bus on awaking firth thing, for decades. As if a lot of normal functioning just wasn’t working. I was like many of you, depleted.

All of this improvement above btw, when I am very busy workwise, but seem not to be getting over-stressed in the manner I would have done in the past, and with much less work pressure.

Note, I recently explained about this item and the use of the device to my GP, and the positive experiences I was having. He was very interested, and encouraged me to keep using it.

In closing, I hope this hasn’t been too long a ‘story’. I just want to emphasise again that I am recounting my own personal experience and belief that the device has contributed to a significant reduction in my symptoms. It may or may not for others. As I say, I don’t know if it is a combination of things I am doing.

Anyway, I am going to keep doing what I am doing, and can report back at ONE YEAR (OCT/NOV 2017) if I keep finding progress. I will also keep reading all the great inputs on our support forum and learning more.

Wishing you all good health in the future and in support of the next steps in fighting the good fight against the beast of POIS.

Best regards,
Colm
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 02:00:50 PM by COLM_2 »

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2017, 06:40:17 PM »

5th NOVEMBER 2017.

COLM’S ONE YEAR VNS TRIAL UPDATE.
BELOW IS MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE AND NOT A RECOMMENDATION FOR OTHERS. PLEASE ALWAYS MAKE YOUR OWN INFORMED EVALUATION ON TREATMENTS FOR YOU.

I have continued with the use of the Nervana Vagus Nerve Stimulation device on a daily basis, for my wellbeing and POIS symptom reduction. This is a slightly delayed update.

My usage of the device now spans one full year on a daily basis.

Below I am also going to re-share my six months previously published update, which for some reason fell off the forum posts shortly after its posting.

Vagus Nerve background.
The Vagus Nerve, as research is now proving, has an influence over potential healing in some autoimmune and inflammatory conditions. Possible characteristics that are also present with POIS as a syndrome.

Vagus nerve stimulation (VNS) benefits have been known about in medical circles for a long time. Specifically known in credible medical circles is the positive impact of using a targeted form of stimulation through an operative procedure where a neck implanted device is inserted, for treating epilepsy.

Other VNS implantable neck devices are currently being manufactured for research and selective treatment of other conditions like Arthritis, and with apparent success. Some information on these is at my prior posts in this thread. Forum member Tirasoft has kindly also posted another useful piece about Vagus Nerve & Bioscience developments for autoimmune conditions recently above.

Work is ongoing in the world of Biosciences to research, validate & use Nerve stimulation rather than pure drug treatments for previously intractable and chronic conditions.

MY NOVEMBER 2017 1 YEAR USAGE UPDATED COMMENTS, FROM MY APRIL 2017 MEASURES BELOW.

What am I noticing overall? It still has NOT fully cured my POIS however…

1. My overall mood has remained very stable, generally and also within my 3 day POIS cascade of symptoms.

2. I am much calmer and would assess that on a 10 point scale, my (NOV 2017) POIS related depression and other symptoms continues to be maintained at a low level. It can go from a 5 out of 10 (in POIS) up to a wellness now of 8 out of 10 on some days, outside of POIS. This is a further improvement, which I am happy with. Overall I am looking at a 3/4 points (on a 10 points scale) of improvements in most symptoms over this one year extended period of use (along with my other methods). This has all been during some quite stressful life and work times. I notice I also deal with work stress a whole lot better this last 6 months in particular.

3. Perhaps the effect of the VNS stimulation is over time, and also that it is a reduction in dis-ease within our system and related to the way serotonin is re-up taken or perhaps the release of dopamine or endorphins through VNS. The blood brain axis may be impacted in a positive way also. Improvements for me has undoubtedly been assisted with a healthier gut approach also & with Buteyko breathing.

Honestly I can’t say for certain if without adopting the Gut healing & Buteyko approaches would I have had this level of improvement, I honestly don’t know, but I think I could. Being late 50's also means I have naturally less time in POIS as I can also refrain from O if I need to. It MAY have helped wit healing, but I don't think it was the main contributor. 

4. I sustain my weight, and while eating less food. I don’t comfort eat now at all.

5. My friends and family notice that that I am in good form most days.

6. I don't need now any more than six hour night time, sleep. I wake early ready for the day. Four years back, I felt awful most mornings.

BELOW FROM MY 6 MONTH UPDATE, POSTED APRIL 2017.
Report On My Six Month Trial with VNS, Oct 2017 to April 2017.

I believe the introduction for us to the world of the Vagus Nerve in our study has a legacy with some potential.

I for one had never heard of the Vagus Nerve 3 years ago, but am pleased that I did (as a result of our study)! 

The original research study theory of (some of our) POIS symptomology as having its roots as a case of “Vagal Dystonia”, may have been somewhat on track I  believe, and may have credibility as one key aspect (for some people and for the cognitive, mental and emotional aspects) of our healing from POIS.

As some know here, I share an almost lifelong POIS 40 year challenge with Quantum, Demo and others.

Been there, done that over decades with all the tried this/tried that, the false hopes and the pipe dreams and delusions around what could help stop the negative effects from sex. Spent thousands, wasted thousands of hours trying to solve this absolutely horrible syndrome, and doing this in silence made it worse, until I found this great forum and the great people involved, that was about four years back. Like many of you, I found that knowing you aren't the only one with this condition is helpful. Spent decades believing no one else had this, which is very isolating.

Reading the information at the site also allowed me, with a non-researchers mind, to try different things. In particular, as I personally value a more holistic approach to symptom reduction, rather than drug therapy approach, I initially zoned in on (with good effect) to a gut-healing approach along with keeping fit. Having met and worked with a great nutritionist almost 4 years back was a good start, as I had gut issues that were contributing to the terrible cascading effects after an O. Formal gut analysis showed issues in my report from a gut analysis clinic. 

Information here helped, specifically the supplements discussions, like Quantum's pre and post O supplements. Matcha high quality green tea also a great addition in recovery for me.

My main POIS symptoms outlined below had included for a long time up to 3 years ago, and many below were severe, specifically within POIS.

Physical: Headaches, Seborrheic dermatitis, severe allergy to direct sunlight/UVA and sensitivity to bright light, chronic sinusitis & histamine issues, difficulty with handwriting. Also had a test that showed food allergy to milk and a microbial imbalance.

Cognitive & Mental: Brain fog, lack of clarity, stressful thinking.

Emotional: Depression, social phobia, irritability & panic attacks.

SO, to the Vagus approach & my VNS six month trial.

With some evolving knowledge of the Vagus nerve and the potential for using it in a positive manner as an anti-dote to above and to this possible Autoimmune/ Inflammatory syndrome, I have trialled this system.

Please note in the last 3 years, that a gut healing approach and also daily practice of the Buteyko Nasal breathing process, along with exercise are extra pieces in my own healing jigsaw. I recommend you evaluate Buteyko, specifically for sports enthusiasts or those with respirator issues. The book www.oxygenadvantage.com and Buteyko site http://buteykoclinic.com are sites I recommend for evaluating Buteyko as a potential tool kit. It (the nasal breathing volume & sleep techniques of buteyko) helped me reduce my dependency on cortisone nasal sprays by 75% and has given me fitness on long cycling spins and running, well beyond my age expectations. Am now fit well beyond my years.

This however (@ April 2017) is a review of my experience thus far with Vagus Nerve Stimulation, which I have experimented with in a disciplined manner since six months back (Oct 2016), after I received what is called the Nervana Vagus Nerve Stimulator, as mentioned also at POIS forum.

I have used this VNS on a daily basis and for at least 2 daily sessions, and sometimes 3 * 30/45 minute sessions per day.

My own personal experiences are positive, but I am not advocating that anyone else purchases this product. It is expensive and may or may not help others. I don’t know. I do recommend it worth evaluating as part of your healing approach however, if you think you have chronic symptoms that are caused by dis-ease in your physiology and brain from POIS.

If you decide to invest in a Nervana VNS, please be careful and start slowly with usage and give it at least six months of commitment & efforts, to properly evaluate its impact on your POIS symptoms.

As this is a product that can be used while sitting, relaxing, just listening to music or indeed "on the go"  carrying on with day to day tasks - excluding operating anything mechanical - it isn't very difficult to use or test it consistently.

Something like practicing a consistent form of meditation in my opinion requires more discipline than using this method of relaxation.

What is the Nervana Vagus Nerve Stimulator?

It is a 2016 product launched, commercially available device that emits a Vagus Nerve signal via a specially designed ear piece, making a stimulatory connection to the nerve, through the left ear canal.

It is intended to generally stimulate the Vagus Nerve, which is a Nerve that interfaces with parasympathetic control of the heart, lungs and somewhat controlling and influencing the digestive tract in a positive manner.

My impressions pre-usage.
I had seen a lot of hype and over-the-top-marketing & hype of this Nervana system, including a slot on the Doctors TV which was laughable. The founders and designers however seemed credible. I was however VERY sceptical about the product initially, but with the usual ‘will try anything’, I ploughed ahead and invested. The various claims about its supposed immediate positive impacts were not experience by myself, but longer term I will say that they have been.

My own overall usage experience.
On receiving the device, it took me some time in online research of various vendor videos and reading the accompanying instructions to be certain of how to use it. It is a little cumbersome at first to use correctly. I was however motivated to do so and continue to try it. It helped that I enjoy music, and the VNS works best while listening to up-tempo music with a beat and indeed soft rock music, the left earpiece faithfully doing its business. There are also additional suggestions available on the best type of music to use it with.

If music isn’t your thing, it also has a setting for what is called an "Ambient mode" which enables you to receive the signal while going about activity in your own environment, without using music, still getting the signal.

Note, there are various ear bud sizes that come with the system, and it takes a bit of time to find the best fit, as without the correct fit, you don’t get the tingle.

Additionally you need to add some saline or salt water spray (dispenser provided) to the earbud to ensure it makes a proper connection into the ear canal entry so it provides the appropriate stimulation.

In the first few weeks I went with a very low "calibration" of the VNS signal, as with POIS type depression at the time, I was not going to take any risk in making my symptoms worse. There is a calibration dial on the front of the device to set from 1 – 25 in strength.

I always wanted to ensure I was using the device correctly and safely.

During this time, curiously as I googled more about it and the reviews, I had seen online that quite a few people were sending their device back after only a couple of weeks. Am not surprised as the marketing hype had originally alluded to euphoria after a few listens. That’s BS and not realistic. Initially I found some minor adverse effect in using the VNS, so took it very easy, but am happy that I persisted with its use. I also would have sent it back after a few weeks but I knew my situation was chronic and multi-faceted, so I was interested to proceed and give a fair trial of VNS alongside my other regime.

Many people complained that the music quality when docking the system through their phone / music device was very poor. It's ok not that bad. However, there is a way around to full sound and bass quality that is gained by buying better quality large headphones that fit over your ears, while keeping the same left VNS signal earbud in place with the headphones over them. There’s extra things you can buy to enhance the music experience.

After 3/4 months of use, in particular I was noticing the positive impact on my parasympathetic nervous system and lowering of stress levels. I have found the tool initially had a slower but impactful build to definitely lowering my POIS Symptoms of decades standing.

Over the six months (to April 20-7), I had increased the intensity of the signal I used, to where I am comfortably able to use it at full throttle now 2/3 times a day now and will continue to do so.

I used meditate for many years which didn’t really help. For me however, I find this VNS is having a much better effect for me than meditation.

@ 6 MONTHS, APRIL 2017: What am I noticing overall? It has NOT cured my POIS however…

1. My overall mood has stabilised, generally and also within the 3 day POIS symptoms.

2. I am calmer and would assess that on a 10 point scale, my POIS related depression, which 6 months ago could go as low as a 2 in the POIS three day cycle and up to a max of 4.5 outside of pois, is now I am happy to report consistently at a lowest
score of 4 within POIS phase and up to a 7/10 on some days, outside of POIS. This is a good improvement, which I am happy with. Overall am looking at a 2/3 point (on a 10 points scale) improvement in most symptoms, over this six month period.

3. Perhaps the effect of the VNS is that it is related to the way serotonin is re-up taken or perhaps the release of dopamine or endorphins through VNS, allied with a healthier gut approach & Buteyko breathing, I can now even tolerate a couple of alcoholic drinks, without a depressive adverse effect which I always had with alcohol for decades. Honestly I can’t say if without the Gut healing & Buteyko would I have had this improvement, I honestly don’t know, but I think I could.

4. I have started to put on weight for the first time in decades, while eating less food. I don’t comfort east as much.

5. My family members and friends have been remarking on occasion that I look fit/well, something I haven't heard said in decades, because in truth I know that I didn't look healthy.

6. I can sleep through a 7 hour night time, whereas before I would always wake in the middle of the night.

7. I feel quite well in the morning when I awake, had gradually improved over the last 2 years. I used feel like I had been run over by a bus on awaking firth thing, for decades. As if a lot of normal functioning just wasn’t working. I was like many of you, depleted.

All of this improvement above btw, when I am very busy workwise, but seem not to be getting over-stressed in the manner I would have done in the past, and with much less work pressure.

Note, I recently explained about this item and the use of the device to my GP, and the positive experiences I was having. He was very interested, and encouraged me to keep using it.

In closing, I hope this hasn’t been too long a ‘story’. I just want to emphasise again that I am recounting my own personal experience and belief that the device has contributed to a significant reduction in my symptoms. It may or may not for others. As I say, I don’t know if it is a combination of things I am doing.

Anyway, I am going to keep doing what I am doing, and can report back at ONE YEAR (OCT/NOV 2017) if I keep finding progress. I will also keep reading all the great inputs on our support forum and learning more.

Wishing you all good health in the future and in support of the next steps in fighting the good fight against the beast of POIS.

Best regards,
Colm

COLM, thank you for keeping VNS/POIS Research alive!

Demo
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 08:27:13 PM by demografx »

Quantum

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2017, 11:24:40 PM »
Thanks Colm for your detailed report !  :)

It will help other members know what to expect from VNS.
You are 100% responsible for what you do with anything I post on this forum and of any consequence it could have for you.  Forum rule: ""Do not use POISCenter as a substitute for, or to give, medical advice" Read the remaining part at http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=1.msg10259#msg10259

Vandemolen

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2017, 11:29:42 AM »
Colm, which one did you buy? Are there others who tried the Nervana Vagus Nerve Stimulator?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 12:19:17 PM by Vandemolen »
POIS since 2000. Very bad since 2008. I knew that I have POIS since June 2010. Desensitization since March 2011. I stopped with desens in July 2016. I have 50% less POIS. And only 1 day of POIS. Purified CBD works for me, but I am allergic for CBD.

COLM_2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2017, 05:39:38 PM »
Vandemolen,

It is the commercial tVNS product at the website Experiencenervana

Regards,
Colm