Author Topic: Diet that 100% manages my POIS! (Changed from:Diet that CURED my POIS!)  (Read 121386 times)

Going less Crazy

Re: Diet that CURED my POIS!
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2016, 08:57:45 PM »
Just posting that those who do find improvement in POIS with eggs, it may be because egg yolks absorb and break down the gluten molecule.  They are even devising a pill for Celiac's that is just basically dried egg yolk in a pill to be taken before eating gluten.  By the way I am still "cured" as long as I follow my diet.
My POIS managed with Diet (@ diet that 100% manages my pois)Believe my POIS stems from inflammation in the gut. O = neuro POIS from inflammation from the gut

supps: microdose zyrtec if needed for food sens. ibuprofen for infl. as needed. Melatonin as needed. Big Pinch Black cumin  seeds once daily

b_jim

« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2016, 01:49:28 AM »
I don't have celiac disease (negative bloodtest). I tried 0 gluten diet. it didn't improve my Pois but is seems it improves my gut health (for example I can't wear trousers, diahreas,
Tympanites...).

But anyway, i think you may be right with the link gut - Pois. I have sugar in digestive system (sugar eaten some hours or the day before orgasm) it increase my pois and especially hot flashes symptoms. I try to change the hours when i take taurine to see if it counters sugar effects.

Taurine = Anti-Pois
Lyme disease "cured" in 2020.

Going less Crazy

« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2016, 09:40:29 PM »
Interesting, I'm not sure I have it either.  I actually made a docs appointment this week to test for it.  Although I know you are supposed to be on a gluten containing diet for six weeks before testing... I am not since I am unwilling to do that.  So I am trying to get both a blood test and a genetic test for it.  I am almost like a textbook case for it... thin, but not extremely thin, mouth ulcers, gut pain when I eat gluten now, loose stools, brain fog/migraines/bad mood, dental problems, bone spurs (one on wrist) that all seem to go away when I abstain from such foods.  POIS may have just been a symptom for me.  So I dont know if it'll be celiac or some kind of gluten sensitivity/ncgs.  I would encourage others to get a blood test for it also (if you think you fall into such a category).

Maybe it is a different food for you causing symptoms.  I believe i have to avoid all foods listed cause I had celiac (possibly) for so long it opened the way for other food sensitivities.  There is a study where those like me went on a Paleo type diet that I'm on and there other food sensitivities disappeared and they were able to revert back to just a gluten free diet.
My POIS managed with Diet (@ diet that 100% manages my pois)Believe my POIS stems from inflammation in the gut. O = neuro POIS from inflammation from the gut

supps: microdose zyrtec if needed for food sens. ibuprofen for infl. as needed. Melatonin as needed. Big Pinch Black cumin  seeds once daily

Nico

« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2016, 12:22:01 PM »
Hi All,

I haven't posted in a while, but this thread resonates with my experience. My worst symptoms are both cognitive and physical: poor focus, irritability, general malaise followed by aches, fever, respiratory issues (increased sinus and chest congestion, etc.) Lately these have been much more mild. I've struggled with sinus and chest issues all my life and have taken a lot of antibiotics over the years. As with so many things, diet and exercise seem to be a great starting place for attacking POIS. Here's what I've been found to be the most helpful in managing my version of POIS:

- Regular exercise: soccer, cycling, jogging or other aerobic activity 2x/wk, weight training/anaerobic exercise 2-3x/wk
- Healthy diet: For me that means avoiding refined sugars, beer, wine, too much white flour, etc. - Focus on whole foods, clean meats and veg and don?t overeat
- Encourage healthy gut, take probiotics, yogurt, fermented foods
- Avoid antibiotics, treat mild infections with oregano oil, garlic, etc. and homeopathic remedies (probable placebo effect, but hey, it works for me)
- More saturated fat in diet - I have been starting my day with a cup of "bulletproof" coffee which is coffee blended with organic grass-fed butter and MCT (coconut) oil
- Reduce stress - meditation, time with friends, watching sports, exercise, massage, low dose marijuana tincture, etc.
- Finish shower with cold water for around 30 seconds
- Sex once per week, try to take Niacin before, best in morning otherwise sleep is restless
- For the past few weeks I?ve been able to O 3 times per week if I take two Benadryl right after. Sleep still restless, but other symptoms almost unnoticeable. I always feel a bit better in the summer.
- Accept POIS when it comes and try not to get too pissed off about it. I try to distract myself by listening to an interesting podcast, music, etc. Don't try to do too much while in POIS.
- Check this forum and remind myself I'm not alone

Cheers!,
Nico

Quantum

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2016, 09:58:45 PM »
Many thanks for your great input, Nico!

Whenever a member take the time to write about what works for himself, this give precious information and reference for the whole POIS community here, and for current and potential researchers as well.

It becomes clearer that for many POISers, a healthier diet along with a healthier lifestyle, including regular exercise, is positive and help reduce POIS severity.

Other things you have mentioned, like stress management techniques, probiotics, and so on, have also been proven useful for other POISers.

Your success with antihistaminic like Claritin or Zyrtec, and 2x25mg of Benadryl, is a point of interest too, since this has been proven very beneficial for at least 2 other members, if I remember it well.

The more members will share their success, the more it will help to understand POIS and know what help relieve POIS symptoms.  So if you have any success with something you heard about on this forum, or with something you have found by yourself, please take the time to share it with the poiscenter community.

You are 100% responsible for what you do with anything I post on this forum and of any consequence it could have for you.  Forum rule: ""Do not use POISCenter as a substitute for, or to give, medical advice" Read the remaining part at http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=1.msg10259#msg10259

Going less Crazy

« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2016, 11:00:19 PM »
I've noticed my symptoms, when I eat bad, are more focused on abdominal pain than neuro symptoms.  Perhaps I've healed to a point where it'll mainly effect my gut.

Btw bjim did you get an actual celiac blood panel or just allergies?

b_jim

« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2016, 01:11:10 AM »
i have the 4 bloodtest specific and non-specific, I'm 100% sure to no be celiac.
Anyway, everybody has gluten sensitivity.
Taurine = Anti-Pois

Going less Crazy

« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2016, 08:43:03 AM »
Yes, I just got my test back, but since I wasn't eating gluten for a year, and you're supposed to eat it for 6 weeks prior, it unsurprisingly came out negative.  I was referred to a gi doctor.

For me, the two main things for pois and brain fog is avoiding all forms of gluten (I avoid all grains, I even react to brown rice, search prolamines) and dairy, and other cross reactive foods.

It's great I can O whenever, but my diet is so restricted.  Hardest thing is calories, but I'm always finding new foods to increase calories cheaply, such as black beans.

If I eat grains or dairy, I'm brain fogged for a couple days.  If I O during this time my pois only lasts until the grains/dairy are out of my system than I am perfectly fine with a clear head and good mood.  This suggests my pois is inflammatory in nature, with more access to the brain during O or stimulation. 
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 10:38:19 PM by Going less Crazy »

b_jim

« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2016, 01:54:14 AM »
It seems 6 to 10% of western people suffer from NCWS (Non Celiac Wheat Sensivity) (gluten) and the consequences is activation of immune system via intestine.
Nothing is said about white sugar which is the most catalysis of my pois.
Taurine = Anti-Pois

Going less Crazy

« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2016, 10:56:51 PM »
Lol thanks, how did you know it was my birthday? 

And bjim, in my case I'm almost definitely a celiac.  I was expecting a negative result from avoiding grains for a year.

bbd2501

« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2017, 09:06:09 PM »
GLC! I Have been doing a gluten free diet and it has worked! Thanks man for sharing this insight. God Bless You. I find it harder to sleep nowadays though, it's really strange...

Quantum

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2017, 09:12:22 AM »
Hi bbd2501,

Thanks for sharing your success at POIS relief. You mentioned in a post on January 11th that you will try a gluten-free diet.  Does this mean that you have positive results after just over a week?

As a follow-up, let us know in a month if your gluten free diet is still effective.  I sincerely wish you so.

For how long do you have POIS, and what are your main symptoms ?

Are all of your symptoms relieved by your diet ?

What is the level of relief you get ?  80%?  100%?

The more information we get, the more it is useful for other members.
You are 100% responsible for what you do with anything I post on this forum and of any consequence it could have for you.  Forum rule: ""Do not use POISCenter as a substitute for, or to give, medical advice" Read the remaining part at http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=1.msg10259#msg10259

Going less Crazy

« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2017, 05:04:07 AM »
That's great bbd and I am also interested in more detail of how you are feeling better. 

I also remember for the first month or two that it was harder to sleep, I believe I even made some posts about this.  My sleep has normalized and for the most part I sleep well now.  I'm still quite not exactly sure why it was harder at first but either I think my body was adjusting to eating lower carb, or maybe I just wasn't eating enough carbs/getting enough nutrients.  My sleep wasn't good at all before my diet as well.

The only thing I'd recommend, but do so with your own judgement and the thought that this may have helped me, purely in theory, would be to eat sweet potatoes. Sweet potatoes are nutritious and are a good supply of carbs. 

Good luck and I hope you continue doing well.  If you start feeling worse, it may have something to do with an addition to your diet, that's why I'd recommend just making a food list of what you can eat, and add ever so slowly to that list.  Marking the culprits if you do find any.  A gluten free diet wasn't enough for me, but if it is for you that would be great.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 03:32:18 PM by Going less Crazy »

Quantum

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2017, 06:51:22 PM »
Hi GLC, and everyone,

I have written about monosodium glutamate (MSG)  lately.  Maybe you already know that gluten contains a lot of MSG.  Decades ago, MSG was extracted from gluten.  Now, it is not, but people sensitive to gluten may be also sensitive to MSG, even in gluten-free.  Personally, I have no noticeable issue with gluten, but I avoid eating too much anyway, in particular wheat gluten.  But I avoid any food with MSG or any ingredient with another name for MSG, because it is neurotoxic.   

More info on MSG vs gluten at https://www.verywell.com/is-msg-gluten-free-562822

It may be possible that it is the MSG part of gluten that can be a trigger for POIS symptoms like brain fog and anxiety on aother cognitive and emotional symptoms, knowing MSG is neurotoxic.  Only for that, I have completely eliminated MSG and its many, substitutes from my diet, which, anyway, will eliminate itself when you stop all processed, industrial food and turn toward a healthy diet with fresh food and natural, organic food, and brand known for their high standard of quality.  Unfortunately, all mainstream brand use a lot of MSG.

To see the many names under which MSG is hidden on labels, see my post at http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=2416.msg20374#msg20374

Going less Crazy

« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2017, 12:33:27 AM »
That's good to note quantum.  However I have no serious issue with msg.  My issue solely relies on digesting and immune problems to the prolamines in grains (somewhat theoretical).  All grains have prolamines, gluten being the worst, and I am sensitive to all of them to varying degrees.  Also casein which is similar chemically to gluten.  I have plenty of other random sensitivities because my gut is messed up.  Leaky gut or celiac seems like the cause to me, and I'm still working to heal it.  Msg sure doesn't sound friendly though.

I also added coconut oil to my diet which seems beneficial as of now.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 12:36:08 AM by Going less Crazy »

Quantum

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2017, 08:26:16 PM »
Hi GLC,

I looked this up and, indeed, It seems that it is mainly the protamine called gliadin ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gliadin ) that triggers the immune response in celiac disease.   

Well, I guess MSG is just an added nuisance in gluten for those who have celiac disease, as well as an undesirable ingredient for anyone.

Liyyamurr

« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2017, 10:42:03 PM »
Going Less Crazy, can you eatfood prepared with coconut milk? Can you eat green and red bell peppers

Liyyamurr

« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2017, 10:43:32 PM »
I also forgot to ask, are you coordinating this with a naturopath or a nutrition, or is this your own experiment

Going less Crazy

« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2017, 05:26:12 AM »
I am doing this on my own though should probably have seen somebody.  Yes I can do those peppers and I would think I can do coconut milk as well.

Quantum

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2017, 06:34:16 PM »
I am doing this on my own though should probably have seen somebody.  Yes I can do those peppers and I would think I can do coconut milk as well.

You have been very determined and motivated, GLC, in finding what works for you and what relieves your POIS symptoms, gratz!   And you always come back here to share your most recent results and answering questions, which is great for other POIS sufferers who want to try your diet method.

Thanks for these follow ups!