Author Topic: Extensive Memory tests should be done on poisers  (Read 10217 times)

Defsync

Extensive Memory tests should be done on poisers
« on: December 26, 2015, 03:16:46 PM »
who have gone more than a month without an O. I know my memory in i-havent-Oed-in-forever-stateofmind  is completely dysfunctional in a key area. Grossly so. I wonder if we all share a testable memory dysfunction even in havent-Oed-stateofminds. Notice i didnt say "normal". A normal adult male brain is constantly in a state of have-Oed-within-the-last-three-weeks.

Defsync

Re: Extensive Memory tests should be done on poisers
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2015, 04:23:45 PM »
I know for example alcohol deficits a part of my memory for up to 48 hours very specifically if i drink at least a certain amount over 2 days. The specificity in which it affects my memory reminds me of the specificity of how POIS affects my memory, tho in diff ways.

demografx

• Administrator
  • All of us working together to defeat POIS!
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2015, 04:28:40 PM »
I know for example alcohol deficits a part of my memory for up to 48 hours very specifically if i drink at least a certain amount over 2 days. The specificity in which it affects my memory reminds me of the specificity of how POIS affects my memory, tho in diff ways.

Interesting, Defsync!

I have always felt that my body -- and memory -- all react badly 1) in POIS, 2) with alcohol, and 3) with jet lag. Wish I understood it better, it might explain my POIS.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 04:30:56 PM by demografx »
10 years of significant POIS-reduction, treatment consisting of daily (365 days/year) testosterone patches.

TRT must be checked out carefully with your doctor due to fertility, cardiac and other risks.

40+ years of severe 4-days-POIS, married, raised a family, started/ran a business

Defsync

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 07:17:53 PM »
well with something like Lyrica, in my opinion, helping recover some of the cognitive loss after an O, and alcohol being related, these two things work on GABA.

there are a battery of memory tests that can be done to determine specifics about a memory. they use them for alzheimers research. my thought on this is, maybe we suffer a dysfunction in the brain, noticeable by the specific memory attributes, where an O wrecks havoc whereas in a normal brain it does not.

there is some thought that "pain", which is a signal you receive from nerves to brain, can be lessened or greatened depending on how well you are "remembering" it moment to moment. in a sense pain that you are not remembering, seems new and shocking moment to moment, whereas a pain your brain remembers, the brain begins spitting out endorphins or reacts in a manner that makes the pain become more dull (which generally happens after an initial wound over time). i mention this because of the bodily suffering i know many have from pois.

Going less Crazy

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 10:30:05 PM »
I would say I have a good memory and good intellectual abilities even in POIS.  The only major lacking thing is the mere energy to access this memory and intellect without an "extremely stressful" emotional response... Hence I try not to overuse my brain on POIS days, when I do experience it.

I've retained the skills I've had since I was a child before POIS... Not to be bragging or anything, but I was really skilled before POIS in certain areas... To be kind of funny, I was big into sports and halo 2 while in highschool and literally the whole school knew that I was the one to beat which was kind of funny.  So I think those of us with this problem are actually really intellectual and special to be honest.

Like I still have my gaming skills...still can beat pretty much everybody lol... Again i dont mean to sound like i am bragging or anything like that but the key here is I still have my brain and its all still there, but while in POIS its just really stressful to access.  So this is like a symbol of hope.

Im sure you might still have your memory but it is just difficult to access in POIS.
My POIS managed with Diet (@ diet that 100% manages my pois)Believe my POIS stems from inflammation in the gut. O = neuro POIS from inflammation from the gut

supps: microdose zyrtec if needed for food sens. ibuprofen for infl. as needed. Melatonin as needed. Big Pinch Black cumin  seeds once daily

Quantum

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 11:24:53 PM »
I have to say that I also, like GLC, have absolutely no memory nor cognitive problems while in POIS, so this leads me to think that memory dysfunction is not part of the center, essential cause of POIS, even if present in most 'sub-types" of POIS. Or, from another point of view, POIS may includes more than one specific syndrome, and those different sub-types of POIS could have different physiopathologies, even if very similar in clinical presentation.

When I have found this forum, I have noticed that it was kind of usual here to put cognitive symptoms in the same basket with emotional symptoms like anxiety, social withdrawal, depressive feelings, mood swings and the like.  Since in my case, emotional symptoms were very severe, and I never had any cognitive symptoms, I came up with the symptoms clusters I have proposed last year, making these two categories of symptoms into separate clusters.  For me, it is clear that the cognitive symptoms are not produced through the exact same metabolic way than the emotional symptoms  (in my current view, cognitive symptoms comes from kynurenic acid toxicity in the brain, and the emotional symptoms from quinolinic acid toxicity, but being toxic products of the tryptophan metabolism hacking toward the kynurenine pathways ).

Just like you, GLC, I have all my mental accuracy and memory while in POIS.  It is only the fatigue or the lack of motivation or other emotional symptoms like anxiety that hinder my intellectual performance.  Hopefully, that has been very rare, so I could have been highly successful in university, and after in my pharmacy career and as a business owner.  When I read about many POIS sufferers being unable to go on with their studies, I realize that at least, POIS didn't have that consequence for me.

Relative to chronic memory problems that are worsen in POIS, but still present when not in POIS, like Defsync describes, I think there is some other chronic problem, apart form POIS,  causing the chronic memory problems, and POIS just makes it even more worst for a week or so.  My take on all POIS brain symptoms, be it cognitive or emotional, is that they are related to an acute encephalitis state ( which means a state of inflammation in the brain).  If you look up the symptoms of a mild encephalitis state, they sure look like POIS symptoms. 

Defsync mentions specific memory problems after alcohol consumption.  It is well known that alcohol is toxic for the brain, so this causes inflammation and worsen the brain dysfunctions.  Memory loss, lack of coordination, judgment impairment, personality change, are all known effects of alcohol, mediated by acute, temporary brain toxicity.  I believe POIS, through another pattern, creates the same kind of acute, temporary inflammation in the brain, manifesting in cognitive or emotional symptoms, or both, depending of personal vulnerabilities.

Of course, POIS causes more than "just" brain-related symptoms ( and that is why there are 4 clusters of symptoms in my classification of POIS symptoms, not just 2 ).

You are 100% responsible for what you do with anything I post on this forum and of any consequence it could have for you.  Forum rule: ""Do not use POISCenter as a substitute for, or to give, medical advice" Read the remaining part at http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=1.msg10259#msg10259

Prancer

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2016, 08:54:17 PM »
That's such a great point GLC. The good intellectual abilities of many POISers are clear. It seems like an energy or focusing problem that really gets us, and of course, memory plays a big part in our symptoms too. Without them we would no doubt be so much more capable. It's amazing that we are able to accomplish so much even with all of these debilitating symptoms.

That's also a brilliant point about the gaming skills. I know some people who are really hardcore gamers, and they are all very intelligent, dynamic people, and very fun to be around in general.
Modern gaming can be very immersive, adventuresome and is often really visually breathtaking. It's sometimes underrated, but I completely agree with a gaming correlation to originality, interest in science, critical thinking, and intelligence in general. Being really into sports is a very big plus too, physically especially. So good point! :)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 09:27:18 PM by Prancer »

Going less Crazy

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2016, 12:50:52 AM »
Yes, due to POIS symptoms, especially if not knowing the cause, it is extremely difficult in college.  I remember my first year, the year when I found out the correlation between O and symptoms, I was failing pretty miserably, because all you focus on is getting that sense of relief from tortuous symptoms and the university work on top of that is death with a cherry on top... if you don't know how to control and manage the symptoms.

Although I'm not so sure of your toxicity theory one reason being - If I O and have symptoms, say I O by accident, if I  then wait about 24 hours from that O (not sure about the timing of this there could possibly be no wait) and take a claritin-d than have another orgasm or orgasms, my symptoms subside, so I no longer have POIS at its worst for more than a day.  This would not make sense on a toxicity standpoint unless the toxicity was some immune inflammational marker as in histamine or something.  In a sense I'm putting more crap in my body but am feeling better.

Speaking for my POIS though, without proper precaution... It is really extremely emotionally based to the point where I'm cursing myself out and honestly would rather be dead during the worst part of it.  Thank god for these remedies you all have came up with on this forum and others.

As I specified in my diet that I was doing better, POIS seems to hit me if I don't sleep well and O the next day, at this point no matter what I eat, if I don't sleep well and O I will probably have POIS... Probably because my body is in an inflammational state from lack of sleep.  This is why I am looking for a continuous sleep remedy that I can use nightly without consequence.  Right now I am trying magnesium glycinate nightly (just 1 day and will update my bio on that).  But this no grain diet rids me of all lingering fog which is great... I've actually had this weird lump on my wrist for about 2 years and it vanished on the diet so I'm looking forwards to more improvement.

Prancer sometimes gaming especially online shooters can be stressful so I usually avoid that if I manage to get myself in a POIS state.  And it is pretty amazing what we do like this.  I was just commenting on that aspect of it because it's sort of some proof we still have our brains, we just need to figure out this emotional aspect of it and we are golden.
My POIS managed with Diet (@ diet that 100% manages my pois)Believe my POIS stems from inflammation in the gut. O = neuro POIS from inflammation from the gut

supps: microdose zyrtec if needed for food sens. ibuprofen for infl. as needed. Melatonin as needed. Big Pinch Black cumin  seeds once daily

Prancer

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2016, 09:20:36 PM »
@GLC, in what ways is it emotionally based for you? Just wondering, 'cuz for me it's mostly problems with memory plus organizing & articulating my thoughts, along with irritation because of that. You're probably pissed already that you're penned in with all that snow. So sorry if the emotional question's too intrusive, just wondering how POIS manifests in different ways for different POISers. You don't have to elaborate on it if you don't wanna. It's okay. About the sleep, getting a good sleep at night def. helps me the next day with minimizing cognitive problems. It's often hard for me to get to sleep, so it really sucks the next day. I try to relax a few hours before sleep, and get the mind ready for sleep by drinking hot tea and perhaps watching something relaxing. Sometimes I'll try diphenhydramine (benadryl), but if the bedtime is late, it'll be harder to wake up in the morning.

Going less Crazy

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2016, 11:46:29 PM »
I mean like my symptoms are mostly emotional.  I don't know if I say it wrong or what but what I mean is my POIS at its worst is emotionally based meaning I feel very agitated and irritable, like their is a fire going on in the back of my brain right where you feel the O.  Kinda like if you stay up all night than you have loads of caffeine in the morning but you are also sensitive to caffeine. That's how my O feels without taking precautions.  Huge craving for relief and desperate search towards a sense of calm.  Basically terrible mood in a simple statement haha. 

I don't mean like I'm mad I had an orgasm lol its the symptoms of POIS that causes the mood problems when they occur.

Prancer

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2016, 01:00:43 AM »
[@GLC] Oh yeah, now I know what you mean. You said it right; I just misunderstood. I thought you meant you were getting very sad & depressed. Since you mean agitated and irritable, I also experience that while deep in POIS. Terrible mood is a good way to describe it for me too. I don't get upset at others, just feel irritable in general, also lower confidence during pois. Btw, do you feel fear/anxiety during pois when talking to someone new? When I have to converse with someone unfamiliar to me, I feel nervous for no reason (when in pois mode and in person).

Going less Crazy

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2016, 11:29:06 PM »
Prancer I used to have that symptom.  Honestly right now I could care less about meeting someone new while in POIS.  Honestly felt like that so much that I learned just not to care of the social anxiety associated with POIS.  It does suck, its not at all like I want to go out and meet ppl in POIS but if I can't avoid it I don't think any "extra" of the interaction.  I feel like since we can handle POIS handling a convo with someone new should be easy.  I guess that's my mindset.

Prancer

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2016, 10:32:47 PM »
Excellent thinking, I agree! :)