Author Topic: B-Vitamins are a godsend!  (Read 26949 times)

Egordon

B-Vitamins are a godsend!
« on: September 10, 2011, 02:43:00 PM »
Hey Guys,

I've been having a lot of success with my POIS recently and just thought that I would share some of the things that have been working for me.

First off, over the past 5-6 months I've had a lot of success with the practice of abstinence from masturbation. It was very difficult at first, but after beginning a meditation practice and mastering some of the breathing techniques that it imparted, I've been able to hold my masturbation to an average of about once a week. (It certainly helped that I happened to be single for much of this period.) This, combined with 200 - 300 mg of Niacin per O, has just about completely eliminated POIS for me. Often, though I would still have some fatigue and cognitive dysfunction -- without having had an orgasm recently! Because Niacin had worked so well for me, I tried taking 100mg of it each morning, just to see if it would help. It didn't. But upon a friend's suggestion, I tried taking a full complement of B vitamins (and fish oil). (I think this is the supplement I started: http://www.naturesbounty.com/product/006470. In any case, it's manufactured by Nature's Bounty.) For those of you that don't know much about the B vitamins, they're very important for proper neural function and play a vital role in a properly functioning immune system. Anyway, after the first day of beginning these supplements, all of this fatigue and brainfog was gone! It's absolutely incredible! Over the past 2 weeks I've finally felt like ME; i've been able to sustain a vibrant social life and meet tons of new people and am also doing very well in my graduate program.

I understand that this information may not help those of you that feel the need to O every day -- without some abstention, Niacin seems to only be able to cut POIS symptoms by about 80-85% -- but for those of you that don't O often and still get lingering cognitive dysfunction, I hope this helps. Try B vitamins! Not just Niacin, take ALL of them. Our symptoms indicate dysfunctional nervous and immune systems, and there's no reason to believe that this dysfunction isn't related in some way to nutrition. My experience leads me to believe that our bodily dysfunction is exacerbated by immune deficiencies. Try taking B-vitamins! Also, don't go completely vegetarian. Meats are the only natural source of Bs and also contain other minerals (like Iron) necessary to stave of fatigue and cognitive dysfunction.

Hope this helps! Keep up the good fight, everyone! 

POIS since I was about 15. 1.75 years of desens and I'm now about 80% POIS free. Still working through best practices for maintaining my immunity and administering my injections with my doctor. Email me if you have tips or questions!

Habibou

• Lab1
Re: B-Vitamins are a godsend!
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 03:05:03 PM »
Did you feel under CFS even out of POIS? like, even a brain fog daily...? And does all the B supplements you took made you back to normal when you were out of POIS?
I am under brainfog every day (for a year now) and would like to know more about your experience !Thanks  :)
Brain fog 90%  + tired all the time ,sport intolerance, fast heartbeat, colon inflammation

Egordon

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 03:59:04 PM »
Hey Habibou,

Yeah, before I started taking these B-vitamin supplements I would always feel just a little off... even when not under POIS. It would typically take the form of a little bit of fatigue and a decent amount of brainfog -- although, far far far less than when under POIS. And, yes, taking this B-complex (and Fish oil) has made me feel normal again. It suggests to me that brainfog (and POIS) is related to, or causes, some sort of vitamin deficiency.

I'd highly recommend trying vitamins though! It turns out I linked to the wrong brand in my initial post. The correct brand is Finest Natural and I take the "balanced B-complex" supplement.
POIS since I was about 15. 1.75 years of desens and I'm now about 80% POIS free. Still working through best practices for maintaining my immunity and administering my injections with my doctor. Email me if you have tips or questions!

Daveman

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 04:08:12 PM »
Interesting post EGordon. I was wondering about the same thing, partially becasue here in Chile pure Niacin is harder to find. There are lots of B complexes though. and another one B6/B3 + C.

Also the post on B6 on this same category "General Alternative Causes and Treatments", show the raltionships between histamines, and b Vitamines. (It's kind of technical but very interesting).

I'll look up the link on your B complex, but I was wondering the weights and proportions in your recipe. If t's not on the site, maybe you can give that.

Edit: read the label, looks like a good mix. 50mg Niacin too. Do you just take 1 per day? have you tried taking extra before "O".
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 04:28:52 PM by Daveman »
WITHOUT RESEARCH THERE WILL BE NO CURE!
Sessions 5 to 9 days, mostly Flu-like, joints, digestion problems, light cognitive.
Niacin has changed my lif though, now 1 day MAX.
Somewhere in this interaction with Niacin is the answer!

Vincent M

• Physical overshadows cognitive symptoms. 10yrs.
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 04:19:49 PM »
Which is more helpful for your POIS? Fish oil or B-vitamins? I've taken fish oil before and I didn't notice much of a difference in my POIS symptoms.
Taking ginger tea, no wheat, fenugreek+green tea/garlic, saw palmetto, niacin, boswellia, huperzine, B complex and nutmeg. See my treatment summary post for more info: http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=81.msg3513#msg3513

Egordon

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2011, 04:40:57 PM »
Hey Daveman,

Interestingly enough, the proportions of each vitamin in my supplements differ from those listed on the website. They're as follows:

Vitamin C 500mg
Vitamin E 30 I.U
Thiamin (B-1) 10 mg
Riboflavin (B-2) 10 mg
Niacin (B-3) 100mg
Vitamin B-6 5 mg
Folic Acid 400 mcg
Vitamin B-12 12 mcg
Biolin 45mcg
Pantothenic Acid 20 mcg

So, as you can see it has a pretty decent amount of all of the Bs and a pretty healthy helping of Niacin.

I tried reading the B-6 post but it was a bit over my head. I'll try again soon. I do, though, think that nutritional deficiencies are very interesting and potentially quite relevant to our problem.

I typically take 1 B-complex vitamin each day, and whenever I want to O, I take another 200mg of Niacin. (For a total of 300.) This pretty much eliminates my symptoms all together.

Hey Vincent Marcus,

I'm not sure that the Fish oil is helpful at all -- I'm far more inclined to attribute my gains to the B-vitamins. I've never taken the fish oil by itself though, so it's hard to say what impact it has.  It should also be said that the B-vitamin complex isn't helpful for POIS, persay. It's helpful for my residual daily brainfog post-POIS.(Even when I haven't O'd for awhile I still feel a slight amount of fatigue and brainfog. It may stem from some of the same roots problems as POIS...) If I took it right after O, I don't think it would do anything. I still use Niacin before every O.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 04:45:27 PM by Egordon »

rock27

• NDL_Group
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011, 06:05:04 PM »
Coincidence, just read today somewhere that when you start taking b3, this will increase your need for the other b-vitamines.
So this conforms that. But still, before O you (Egordon) still take niacin only, that's what I understand.

demografx

• Administrator
  • All of us working together to defeat POIS!
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2011, 08:07:31 PM »
Hey Guys,

I've been having a lot of success with my POIS recently and just thought that I would share some of the things that have been working for me.

First off, over the past 5-6 months I've had a lot of success with the practice of abstinence from masturbation. It was very difficult at first, but after beginning a meditation practice and mastering some of the breathing techniques that it imparted, I've been able to hold my masturbation to an average of about once a week. (It certainly helped that I happened to be single for much of this period.) This, combined with 200 - 300 mg of Niacin per O, has just about completely eliminated POIS for me. Often, though I would still have some fatigue and cognitive dysfunction -- without having had an orgasm recently! Because Niacin had worked so well for me, I tried taking 100mg of it each morning, just to see if it would help. It didn't. But upon a friend's suggestion, I tried taking a full complement of B vitamins (and fish oil). (I think this is the supplement I started: http://www.naturesbounty.com/product/006470. In any case, it's manufactured by Nature's Bounty.) For those of you that don't know much about the B vitamins, they're very important for proper neural function and play a vital role in a properly functioning immune system. Anyway, after the first day of beginning these supplements, all of this fatigue and brainfog was gone! It's absolutely incredible! Over the past 2 weeks I've finally felt like ME; i've been able to sustain a vibrant social life and meet tons of new people and am also doing very well in my graduate program.

I understand that this information may not help those of you that feel the need to O every day -- without some abstention, Niacin seems to only be able to cut POIS symptoms by about 80-85% -- but for those of you that don't O often and still get lingering cognitive dysfunction, I hope this helps. Try B vitamins! Not just Niacin, take ALL of them. Our symptoms indicate dysfunctional nervous and immune systems, and there's no reason to believe that this dysfunction isn't related in some way to nutrition. My experience leads me to believe that our bodily dysfunction is exacerbated by immune deficiencies. Try taking B-vitamins! Also, don't go completely vegetarian. Meats are the only natural source of Bs and also contain other minerals (like Iron) necessary to stave of fatigue and cognitive dysfunction.

Fascinating, Egordon, many thanks for the reporting!
10 years of significant POIS-reduction, treatment consisting of daily (365 days/year) testosterone patches.

TRT must be checked out carefully with your doctor due to fertility, cardiac and other risks.

40+ years of severe 4-days-POIS, married, raised a family, started/ran a business

Vincent M

• Physical overshadows cognitive symptoms. 10yrs.
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2011, 06:42:56 PM »
I just realized that meat greatly increases my energy and lessens my POIS further the day after taking 200 mg of niacin. I took niacin last night and just ate a hamburger a few min ago (it's 7:40pm) right now and I got this huge surge of energy immediately after I finished it.

I wonder if it's connected to how rock27 said when b3 is taken the body needs more of the other b-vitamins. Perhaps when you take b3 it actually allows your body to use more b-vitamins while in POIS instead of just passing them through your system without them aiding in any bodily function.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 06:46:02 PM by Vincent Marcus »
Taking ginger tea, no wheat, fenugreek+green tea/garlic, saw palmetto, niacin, boswellia, huperzine, B complex and nutmeg. See my treatment summary post for more info: http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=81.msg3513#msg3513

Daveman

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2011, 09:15:49 AM »
Another thing it could be, refering to the post about B6 deficiency, is that when there are high histamine requirements, like when we are in POIS, the histamine production depletes elements that are needed for our good mental functioning. When we consume more base elements for the creation of those same depleted elements, it brings the threshold to a level where we are positive, despite the histamine requirement.

So maybe meat (which as you say contributes to the production of B vitamines) doesn't do much alone, because the requirement is too great, but with the nicain, it contributes to the well being and not to producing histamines.

Sessions 5 to 9 days, mostly Flu-like, joints, digestion problems, light cognitive.

jivetalk

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2011, 07:07:57 AM »
Egordon,

This is great! Thanks so much for sharing.

Although Niacin has been helping me during the intial O, I definately still get that 20% Lingering POIS. I have been trying to fight this with more Niacin tablets for a couple of days after the O - But as you suggest Maybe this is the better way to go.

A MUST try for me.

JT

Habibou

• Lab1
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2011, 09:20:36 AM »
Egordon, is it this one who worked for you? I just want to be sure before ordering , thank you!

http://www.naturesbounty.com/product/006470
 :)
Brain fog 90%  + tired all the time ,sport intolerance, fast heartbeat, colon inflammation

Daveman

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2011, 09:50:49 AM »
Egordon, is it this one who worked for you? I just want to be sure before ordering , thank you!

http://www.naturesbounty.com/product/006470
 :)

Habibou, When you import, (order via WEB from a foreign country), do you have any delays or problems/costs in customs.

I'm trying to bring in niacin and the cost is like $40 US just to get it approved and imported. What a PAIN!!

Ccconfucius

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2011, 01:03:34 PM »
Egordon,

This is great! Thanks so much for sharing.

Although Niacin has been helping me during the intial O, I definately still get that 20% Lingering POIS. I have been trying to fight this with more Niacin tablets for a couple of days after the O - But as you suggest Maybe this is the better way to go.

A MUST try for me.

JT
update on how it worked out for you.

Habibou

• Lab1
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2011, 04:25:53 PM »
I got my Niacin from UK (i was in London so no costs) and the XN from UK also but from Paris and i paid 6 € to import it -> 8.5$ !
I guess it is another story for you since you are from "Chile" !

Egordon

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2011, 09:36:45 PM »
Hey Habibou,

They seem to have taken the exact supplement blend that i'm using off of the market. This mix seems to have slightly less of everything: http://www.naturesbounty.com/product/006470. This one seems to have considerably more of just about everything: http://www.naturesbounty.com/product/000770. They both seem to have the full range of Bs. I'm sorry I couldn't be more help!

When you guys try it out, please let me know if it works. It's certainly cleared up some of those frustrating and lingering issues for me!

jivetalk

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2011, 07:52:36 AM »
Hi Guys,

I wanted to try B-Vitamin blends to clear up my lingering POIS...usually about 20%, so I went to the store where I normally buy my Niacin and grabbed the biggest baddest bottle of B Vitamins I could find.

Thiamine Nitrate(B1) 100mg
Riboflavine (B2) 100mg
Nicotinamide (B3) 100mg
Calcium Pantothenate (B5)100mg
Pyridozine Hdrochloride (B6) 100mg
Cyanocobalmin (B12) 50mcg
Folic Acid 99mcg
Biotin 100mcg
Choline Bitartrate 50 mg
Inositol 50mg

So I thought, if this doesn't work - Nothing Will.

I have been taking this daily for a week now without fail every morning. What I am finding is that my urine is quite Yellow for the first half of the day - but it has not helped me much at all. In fact, what I have noticed in the last week of taking this B Vitamin blend is a constant Nagging feeling of POIS (mainly brainfog and a feeling of laziness) about 10-20% even though I haven't O'ed since I started taking this. I don't feel I have done anything different other than take this Blend of B Vitamins. I Wonder why this is.

I'm going to have a shot of 300mg of Niacin and stop the B's and see how I feel in a few days.

JT

Daveman

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2011, 01:08:07 PM »
Jivetalk,

Just like there are some fairly tight rules as to the application of niacin for POIS (like 1 hour before, and not after, andreaching a certain level of flush etc) I think it will be important to test varying combinations and percentages of the various B vitamines among different people to see what works and doesn't work.

Some have noticed subtleties with just niacin, like it seems even more effective if you go beyond the rush a certain amount or that it DOESN'T have to be the rush kind etc. These subtleties may discredit certain of our earlier suspicions (that you have to flush first for instance), or that it's not the flush that is important, but that you've taken enough, which the flush can help you measure.

So it could be a whole lot more complex with the B complex (sorry for that play on words). More variables, maybe one B vitamin could work against another, who knows.

Maybe we should try to duplicate the exact B complex formula that Egordon takes, as it works for him, and then start from there looking for varying proportions.

I note that your formulat uses niacinimide rather than niacin, maybe another factor....

Anyways, it's not bad news necesarily, in the process of finding out what happened, we just may learn more about POIS. ( as long as we just don't throw the experiment in the garbage).

Observer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2011, 02:38:59 PM »
Try B vitamins! Not just Niacin, take ALL of them. Our symptoms indicate dysfunctional nervous and immune systems, and there's no reason to believe that this dysfunction isn't related in some way to nutrition. My experience leads me to believe that our bodily dysfunction is exacerbated by immune deficiencies. Try taking B-vitamins! Also, don't go completely vegetarian. Meats are the only natural source of Bs and also contain other minerals (like Iron) necessary to stave of fatigue and cognitive dysfunction.

Hi Egordon!
Why are you saying that we don´t need to go completely vegetarian? I am very curious about it because i have found that there are other sources of B-vitamins like nuts, cereals, eggs, potatoes, sweet potatoes, spinachs(Niacin), soy, green vegetables... Do you think that the amount on this foods is not enough to help against POIS symptoms? By the way, i found that eating certain meats hasn´t contributed to lessen my symptoms, just the opposite; because red meat and similars increased my brain fog in the past. Nowadays, if i have been taken niacin prior to orgasm, i have found that the diet is not important.

Thank you :)

Samir

• POIS victim since 1988
    • Huntsville Car Scene.com
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2011, 11:23:01 PM »
These are interesting observations.  Have any of you experimented with adding Zinc?  I've found strong does of zinc and omega-3s can help me almost recover within a day.  I should try adding B to the mix.  I know my mom has had B deficiencies before.