Yes, 90-100% POIS relief
8 (10.8%)
Yes, 70-90% POIS relief
9 (12.2%)
Yes, 40-70% POIS relief
21 (28.4%)
Yes, 0-40% POIS relief
16 (21.6%)
TOTAL 100% relief! Woohoo! come here babe, you're getting it again!!
1 (1.4%)
No improvement
16 (21.6%)
Makes it worse
3 (4.1%)

Total Members Voted: 67

Author Topic: Niacin poll  (Read 30015 times)

vonstermommy

Re: Niacin poll
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2013, 10:48:00 PM »
Hi Dave,

Fortunately my husband keeps a log of what he takes and the symptoms.  He states:

4am 300mg No Flush
noon - 200mg mild flush
8:30PM 300mg Strong Flush
9:00 2 Benadryl
10:00  Tylenol PM
There is always some light eating of fasting before taking Niacin. No Taurine this time.

Nausea, Brain Fog, Feeling Hot, Itchy Eyes, Soft Stool relieved!
Headache remained - 8 pain pills the day after, then 6, then 4...

Because we have sex so little - it was quite painful on this end - so that is why we have not tried the 2 Os within a couple days of each other.

How do we let other know to try Niacin?  Maybe it should be its own topic on the homepage. It is worth a try!
Im the wife of a man suffering from POIS. 300 Niacin. Feel free to give your wife my email address!

Daveman

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2013, 06:42:31 AM »
Hi Dave,

Fortunately my husband keeps a log of what he takes and the symptoms.  He states:

4am 300mg No Flush
noon - 200mg mild flush
8:30PM 300mg Strong Flush
9:00 2 Benadryl
10:00  Tylenol PM
There is always some light eating of fasting before taking Niacin. No Taurine this time.

Nausea, Brain Fog, Feeling Hot, Itchy Eyes, Soft Stool relieved!
Headache remained - 8 pain pills the day after, then 6, then 4...

Because we have sex so little - it was quite painful on this end - so that is why we have not tried the 2 Os within a couple days of each other.

How do we let other know to try Niacin?  Maybe it should be its own topic on the homepage. It is worth a try!

That's a lot of niacin.... but if it works!

Is that what he takes ONLY on days of sex? Or does he take that daily.

If I took 300mg in the morning I'd ignite the bed I'd flush so hard. Intersting how the flush build throughout the day, as though the niacin was accumulating.

My suggestion is that he reduce the amount of niacin to see if he can get away with less. It would be better in the long run.
Focus on a good flush an hour prior to sex.

For me at least, that gives me almost complete relief. More niacin isnĀ“t neccesary. But then it seems I react differently.

And yes, I've wanted to organize the niacin information! I'll see what I can do.

WITHOUT RESEARCH THERE WILL BE NO CURE!
Sessions 5 to 9 days, mostly Flu-like, joints, digestion problems, light cognitive.
Niacin has changed my lif though, now 1 day MAX.
Somewhere in this interaction with Niacin is the answer!

vonstermommy

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2013, 12:47:42 PM »

Is that what he takes ONLY on days of sex? Or does he take that daily.

---------------------------------------------------

He only takes it the day of and/or day before.  Yes, getting on the lowest dosage would be best!  Good advice.
Im the wife of a man suffering from POIS. 300 Niacin. Feel free to give your wife my email address!

Vincent M

• Physical overshadows cognitive symptoms. 10yrs.
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2013, 12:56:41 PM »
vonstermommy, tylenol pm is just tylenol mixed with benadryl. It'd probably be cheaper to buy the generic versions of both(diphenhydramine and acetaminophen).
Taking ginger tea, no wheat, fenugreek+green tea/garlic, saw palmetto, niacin, boswellia, huperzine, B complex and nutmeg. See my treatment summary post for more info: http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=81.msg3513#msg3513

vonstermommy

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2013, 01:07:11 PM »
Thank you Vincent.  I will do just that as we want him to have a good sleep (part of his proven healing of POIS) but dont want him to oversose on Benedryl!

Chris

« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2013, 05:34:17 PM »
Careful with the niacin doses as 100mg is the 625 % daily amount that a human needs..It may damage the liver or cause some adverse symptoms..Taking 300mg or 400mg a day is approximately 2000% of daily need..I think thats a lot..

vonstermommy

« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2013, 06:44:27 PM »
Careful with the niacin doses as 100mg is the 625 % daily amount that a human needs..It may damage the liver or cause some adverse symptoms..Taking 300mg or 400mg a day is approximately 2000% of daily need..I think thats a lot..

---------------------

That is huge - Ill tell him right away.  I dont know how to reply to you using your quote (Chris)

Chris

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2013, 03:23:49 AM »

---------------------

That is huge - Ill tell him right away.  I dont know how to reply to you using your quote (Chris)

You just press quote above,post the message and i 'll be sent a notification..Most people from this forum take bigger doses cause their body has get used to it and need more in order to have a flush.There is also the case that if you dont seal and protect the content good enough then it gets weaken as other members on this forum refer and you 'll have to take more in order to have the flush..If your husband has a flush with 100mg then he is fine and shouldn't take more..But if he needs 300mg or more in order to have the flush then gradually this big doses will cause him problems..Not only in the liver but in the brain nerves as well as i have read cause B complex vitamins are all associated with the brain and the nervous system..I suggest slowing down..He could stop taking niacin for a few days and then start again with smaller doses.

Daveman

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2013, 01:16:13 PM »

---------------------

Not to minimize the potential for problems, but at least to put it more into context:

For a normal person, the MDR is only 16.5mg. It is a Minimum Daily requirement, not maximum daily requirement.

Most studies indicate that liver damage is not a real threat under 1000mg per day. After that they suggest that
one should have regular liver exams.

We suggest that anyone taking niacin for POIS should have liver tests done maybe twice or more a year anyway.

One should always take their own situation into account. We have had some with niacin allergies, and cannot
take ANY niacin. In some situations it can be dangerous. The doctors would know.

That said, most doctors would probably point blank, without really understanding the mechanisms say, "Why should
you exceed the MDR?", and may suggest not taking it without really taking your case into full consideration.

We suggest not taking more than required, trying to find a minimum dose that gives you optimum relief and have a
regular checkup to make sure everythings fine.

I've been taking niacin now for at least a year (as required... always trying to keep doses as close to the 100mg
as I can), and have had no ill effects to the liver, which I check twice a year, or skin or any other functions of
my body. Others have taken it for POIS for 3 or 4 years with no adverse effects. A few have taken it once with
scary problems, so take it responsibly.

Sessions 5 to 9 days, mostly Flu-like, joints, digestion problems, light cognitive.

David Vee

« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2013, 05:52:06 AM »
I too am inclined to believe I have POIS. After a year of experiencing most of the symptoms and a dramatic negative change in the overall quality of life I started searching for diagnose. While my annual physical with the standard associated tests indicated a clean bill of health I was left with a disturbing reality. I am suspect many of you will relate. You know... "You say I'm healthy, but I don't feel healthy." My uncertainty was compounded by dismissing my lethargy to age (will turn 65 in a few months) and some of the meds I am taking for cardiomyopathy. It was only after my researching that I connected my malaise and other symptoms to post orgasm.

Perhaps I should add I am very physically active and work part time as a Nordic ski and Mountain bike coach. Consequently a good energy level is critical for my lifestyle.

While I do have some erectile dysfunction given my age, my libido is still strong. I am married and let's just say my reluctance to experience POIS symptoms has significantly affected my "night life".

I have subsequently experimented with abstinence (both masturbation and intercourse) for 1 week, 2 week and recently a 3 week interval. While the longer interval seemed to mitigate the symptoms, I still felt pretty lousy for 48 hours afterwards and would feel progressively better as time went on.

I now want to try the niacin treatment since, at first glance anyway, to be a conservative approach with little risk. While I have read the different protocols for taking the niacin in terms of dosage and times I would be grateful if someone felt comfortable in letting me know specifically what might be a good starting point for me.

Thanking all respondents in advance I shall remain hopeful for both a positive outcome and contributing some relevant info from my  experiences.

Respectfully,

David Vee

Vincent M

• Physical overshadows cognitive symptoms. 10yrs.
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2013, 10:45:44 AM »
David, a good starting point is 100mg on an empty stomach(6-10 hour fast). Make sure the bottle doesn't say "slow-release" or "no-flush" or "niacinamide". It should just say niacin and might say nicotinic acid, which is what you want.
Taking ginger tea, no wheat, fenugreek+green tea/garlic, saw palmetto, niacin, boswellia, huperzine, B complex and nutmeg. See my treatment summary post for more info: http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=81.msg3513#msg3513

Daveman

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2013, 06:33:12 PM »
Hi Dave, Dave here!

You probably already know, that the flush is important. This means niacin nicacin. Not delayed release or non-flush formulas. Some have said that niacinamid works wel,, which is no.flush, but if we are talking "starting point", start with regular niacin first.

To achieve the flush, an empty stomach is necessary. 4 to 6 hrs. of fasting. THe difference between 4 hrs and 6 hrs is great. With 6 hrs or more you shouldn't need more than about 100mg. With 4 hrs, you may need up to 400mg.

Personally, I have better results after 4 hrs of fasting and taking larger amounts of niacin.

I use capsules (Nature's Way). They offer greater freedom in dosing. Open them up and take what you want. 123 mg if you want.

The powder under the tongue also enters the system more quickly. I take the first dosage, 100 or 200 depending on the amount of previous fasting,
and then take increments under the tongue at 5 to 10 minute intervals until the flush starts to happen.

I am 64 y/o. We are very similar in that respect. niacin has changed my life.

Good luck.

erik

« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2013, 03:02:07 PM »
After 25 years of trying almost everything with different but no everlasting results I tried Niacin 100 mg last Thursday night,
I hesitated for some time because of the flush, and the possible damage to the liver.
The flush was indeed scary and intense,
but it was worth the result.
Normally next day after orgasm I?m very depressive, tired , moody, no concentration, avoid social interactions etc.
But WOW, now I even felt better than I can remember for a long time.
I know from all the other stuff I tried this can only be a temporary result,
but with all the other stuff I always had side effects and now none. !

I am very curious about how this is working, is there any information about this ?

Thanks for this forum , and thanks to Daveman for this great discovery.

Daveman

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2013, 06:58:18 AM »
After 25 years of trying almost everything with different but no everlasting results I tried Niacin 100 mg last Thursday night,
I hesitated for some time because of the flush, and the possible damage to the liver.
The flush was indeed scary and intense,
but it was worth the result.
Normally next day after orgasm I?m very depressive, tired , moody, no concentration, avoid social interactions etc.
But WOW, now I even felt better than I can remember for a long time.
I know from all the other stuff I tried this can only be a temporary result,
but with all the other stuff I always had side effects and now none. !

I am very curious about how this is working, is there any information about this ?

Thanks for this forum , and thanks to Daveman for this great discovery.

I expected niacin to be temprary too, but I'm near two years now, and after tweaking the process, it's better than ever.

We always said the the flush is very importatnt, and to some extent it is...

I have found that if you eat light food before (like a small sandwich 1 hr before taking the niacin), you may need more niacin, and you may not hardly feel the flush, but it seems that taking a little more (300 say, buffered by that bit of food), the flush is quite small but the effects are much better.

NEVER take 300 in one dose, you never know if you'll react strongly or not. If I know I have eaten a fair bit, i MAY take 200 for the first dose. then after the initial 15/20 min take increments  in 50mg evey 10 minutes until I get flush or reach 400 (MAX). This way POIS (for me) is practially zero.

If you take 300 on an empty stomach, the flush is VERY strong, and it really doesn't work as well for some reason. So if you are going to take smaller doses on an empty stomach, then a medium flush is best, and let the flush pass (30 to 40 min) after peak, before "digging in".

b_jim

« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2013, 08:56:21 AM »
And what happen if you takes 10 x 30mg of niacine (30 mg each hour), no flush then ?
Is it as effective without flush?
Taurine = Anti-Pois
Lyme disease "cured" in 2020.

Daveman

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2013, 01:23:02 PM »
And what happen if you takes 10 x 30mg of niacine (30 mg each hour), no flush then ?
Is it as effective without flush?

It's only effective in your body for about 2 hrs. So after the first 2 hrs, the original 30mg would be almost gone.

So I don't know, it might work 30mg every 12 min.

Usually what I do is take some initial dose, that I know to be safe... 100mg on an empty stomach or 200 after eating a bit.

Then I take about 50mg under the tongue every 10 minutes. Under the tongue, the effect is felt within those 10 minutes. So if you take one "hit" of 50mg and nothing happens after 10 min, it's safe to take another 50mg.

I've never gone over 400mg total. and at times, haven't even gotten the flush (if the fast was short). But it seems that if you've taken 400mg, it doesn't seem to matter if you get the flush or not, and as a matter of fact, the effect is often better.

Of course if you have just finished a pork rib barbeque with wine and beer, it won't matter how much niacin you take, no flush NOR any reduction of POIS, so it's a balance.

It doesn't take much food to kill the flush, so too much and it kills the effect too.

I usually find that the best is when you take around 300 to 400 of niacin and just barely get the flush. That gives me about 95% to 100% relief.
Taking 100mg on completely empty stomach and strong flush gives me about 85% relief.

I know you are afraid of the flush. If you take it easy, it's really not all that bad, and WELL worth it.

MrVat7

« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2013, 03:34:54 PM »
I feel better with Niacin, notice some degree of Cognitive impairment though, Flu seems to have completely gone. Feel warm after niacin.

Journey

• MM group
  • INTP, 19 y.o. aware of POIS since 2019
NowFoods Sustained Release 1g (2 caps) Niacin flush reduced POIS by 80%
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2021, 08:09:08 AM »
Yesterday I took in middle of day 2 caps of 500mg (1g in total) NowFoods sustained-release Niacin flush and had an orgasm in the evening around 7-8 hours later (probably had I done it earlier it would be even more noticeable, will try next time to orgasm 1-2 hours after taking it)

ZERO muscle/diapraghmal tightness/weird nausea/bloating/appetite issues in gut, brain fog, and voice weakness was slightly present in morning now today but towards afternoon it reduced

Overall Niacin flush seems to target something, I didn't get the flush visibly as it's sustained release

Also seems like putting something similar to cock ring and such and trapping a bit more blood in the penis results in a more "proper orgasm/ejaculation" giving less POIS as well, stimulation with hand alone seems to not result in fully "proper erection" leading to suboptimal orgasm/ejaculation which releases imbalanced neurochemicals leading to POIS

ALSO my stool was a lot more solid, very little looseness this morning despite bad sleep/stress yesterday - usually bad sleep+stress makes my stools extremely loose and wrecks my digestion but Niacin flush has improved my digestion greatly it seems

AND I do not have that pose-peeing dribble "not fully cleaned out bladder" feeling that I usually have, as if there is more pee left - so maybe Niacin interacts with noradrenaline and some organ systems
« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 08:33:51 AM by Journey »

cn7

Good for you! Too bad niacin makes me feel weird ...  :(