Author Topic: Male Contraceptive Methods  (Read 44689 times)

Daveman

• Administrator
Male Contraceptive Methods
« on: March 29, 2011, 08:22:57 PM »
There are varios male contraceptive methods that are in various phases of testing. And the approaches for the methods vary, from stopping production of sperm altogether through  permiting production of sperm that are sterile to causing retention of semen, although it is produced.

Testing among the various methods will help to isolate whether it is indeed an allergy to sperm or some other component of the semen, and further test the details of the infection mechanisms.

There is much more information on these items in the NSF forum, however I will try to bring a few of the more complete posts on this sublect over here so we can have more in depth conversations.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 08:23:18 AM by Daveman »
WITHOUT RESEARCH THERE WILL BE NO CURE!
Sessions 5 to 9 days, mostly Flu-like, joints, digestion problems, light cognitive.
Niacin has changed my lif though, now 1 day MAX.
Somewhere in this interaction with Niacin is the answer!

Daveman

• Administrator
The testosterone Progestin Combo
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 03:46:23 PM »
This method has me the most excited. It seems to marry the auto-immune cause and the hormonal cause. Hopefully Demo will talk more about his "T" theories on the other "thread" but in that case it seems as though higher "T" quickens the sperm production process which, for the reasons that Demo can surely explain better, shortens the POIS symptoms.

In the case of it's use for short-circuiting the auto-immune reaction, the theory is, we haven't really proved it yet, that stopping the production of sperm altogether, will not permit the auto-immune reaction to initiate.

As I usnderstand it, there's a relatively delicate balance, and that the two in combination, Testosterone and progestins,  are much more consistently assured to stop this sperm production. Our hope is that when that happens, POIS will NOT appear. There are real hopes for it's success, because we have had some positive results with a different drug, Silodosin, that retains sperm.

So, if the combination doesn't work relative to the immune-system cause it still has a chance to work by establishing a hormone balance which has proven effective here already.
Sessions 5 to 9 days, mostly Flu-like, joints, digestion problems, light cognitive.

demografx

• Administrator
  • All of us working together to defeat POIS!
Re: The testosterone Progestin Combo
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 09:42:14 PM »

This method has me the most excited. It seems to marry the auto-immune cause and the hormonal cause. Hopefully Demo will talk more about his "T" theories on the other "thread" but in that case it seems as though higher "T" quickens the sperm production process which, for the reasons that Demo can surely explain better, shortens the POIS symptoms.

In the case of it's use for short-circuiting the auto-immune reaction, the theory is, we haven't really proved it yet, that stopping the production of sperm altogether, will not permit the auto-immune reaction to initiate.

As I usnderstand it, there's a relatively delicate balance, and that the two in combination, Testosterone and progestins,  are much more consistently assured to stop this sperm production. Our hope is that when that happens, POIS will NOT appear. There are real hopes for it's success, because we have had some positive results with a different drug, Silodosin, that retains sperm.

So, if the combination doesn't work relative to the immune-system cause it still has a chance to work by establishing a hormone balance which has proven effective here already.

From Demo, Your T/P Guinea Pig!

This is really exciting. I just now received a voicemail from my endocrinologist: after weeks of reading up on T/P (Testosterone + Progesterone), male contraceptives, etc. he finally approved it!!

He will start me with 5mg of Norethindrone, titrating me up till it is determined how much I need -  plus the 15mg daily of testosterone - in the hopes of raising my POIS cure from 80% to 100%!

Wow! Another possible major change in my life of 30+ years' POIS agony!

Norethindrone info:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0000278/

As always, do not take this as a recommendation for YOU. Keep looking till you find a good medical team - and fire them when they don't serve you!

Thank you sooooooooooo much, Doctor G!!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 10:11:43 PM by demografx »
10 years of significant POIS-reduction, treatment consisting of daily (365 days/year) testosterone patches.

TRT must be checked out carefully with your doctor due to fertility, cardiac and other risks.

40+ years of severe 4-days-POIS, married, raised a family, started/ran a business

Hoping

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 10:31:40 PM »

This is really exciting. I just now received a voicemail from my endocrinologist: after weeks of reading up on T/P (Testosterone + Progesterone), male contraceptives, etc. he finally approved it!!

He will start me with 5mg of Norethindrone, titrating me up till it is determined how much I need -  plus the 15mg daily of testosterone - in the hopes of raising my POIS cure from 80% to 100%!

Norethindrone info:

As always, do not take this as a recommendation for YOU. Keep looking till you find a good medical team - and fire them when they don't serve you!

Thank you sooooooooooo much, Doctor G!!

Great news demo! Did you get the medication yet? When will you be starting?
Experienced POIS since 2002.
My symptoms include: brain fog, depression, physical and mental fatigue, memory problems, social anxiety, concentration problems, myalgia, inflammation.

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 12:57:26 AM »

Great news demo! Did you get the medication yet? When will you be starting?

Thanks, Hoping! He said "by the end of this week we can kickstart"! So I hope he calls by this Friday, April 8!
10 years of significant POIS-reduction, treatment consisting of daily (365 days/year) testosterone patches.

TRT must be checked out carefully with your doctor due to fertility, cardiac and other risks.

40+ years of severe 4-days-POIS, married, raised a family, started/ran a business

Habibou

• Lab1
Re: Male Contraceptive Methods
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 01:55:29 PM »
Thank you to give it a trial  :) give us updates please !  ;D
Brain fog 90%  + tired all the time ,sport intolerance, fast heartbeat, colon inflammation

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 11:15:08 PM »

Thank you to give it a trial  :) give us updates please !  ;D

Habibou, you might get more updates than you really want!  ;D

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 07:00:53 PM »
 [:P]

He will start me with 5mg of Norethindrone, titrating me up till it is determined how much I need -  plus the 15mg daily of testosterone - in the hopes of raising my POIS cure from 80% to 100%!

Norethindrone info:

Thank you soooooooooo much, Doctor G!!

UPDATE: My endo just now (1) called in the prescription to the pharmacy and (2) is faxing me another prescription for laboratory sperm count!! (I hope insurance covers it).

More excitement!!!  [:)] [:)] [:)]
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 01:32:40 AM by demografx »

Daveman

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 08:52:38 AM »
Oh look, we can make cute little spider smilies! [[:D]]

You must be bursting with anxiousness!!

Prepare your wifey!! For the tests I mean!

;D ;D
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 08:54:46 AM by Daveman »

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 12:42:29 PM »
[:P]

Norethindrone info:

Thank you soooooooooo much, Doctor G!!

UPDATE: My endo just now (1) called in the prescription to the pharmacy and (2) is faxing me another prescription for laboratory sperm count!! (I hope insurance covers it).

More excitement!!!  [:)] [:)] [:)]

UPDATE April 8, 2011: Contacted laboratory to do Semen Analysis ($175 each). They ask for 3 to 5 days' abstinence for optimum measurement. So... [:)].....scheduled for Tuesday morning, April 12.

They will analyze semen for:

1) Quantity (sperm and other semen-components)

2) Motility

3) Morphology

QUESTION: Do I need to do Semen Analysis both before AND after starting T/P? I just emailed and PM'd "lauracostis" with an urgent message. If anyone else can comment, I'd appreciate that as well.

I'm still excited as hell!

edit - the urgency to my note to lauracostis is: I have the prescription for T/P but I don't know if I should start taking it.

The endocrinologist suggests that I Semen-Test 5 days into the treatment (for the "AFTER" part).

So.....I'm wondering if I need a Semen Analysis "BEFORE" starting T/P. I don't want to spend $175 twice (and BYOM - bring your own magazine  [;D] twice), unless it will benefit POIS Research.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 12:44:48 PM by demografx »

Daveman

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 05:27:33 PM »
The most important is that we know what your sperm count is AFTER, so that we know what we're dealing with.
BUT, as much as it hurts me to say it, what if you start and nothing changes? Would it be because there hasn't been that much difference or would it be because there was a lot of difference, but the concept is erred.

That is if you have a healthy sperm count now, and "0" after, yet you don't notice any difference, that has a complete different meaning than if you have a low or no sperm count now and none after either, then we shouldn't expect much difference.

It's pretty hard with perscription in hand not to begin...!!!

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2011, 09:23:29 PM »
Dave, if I understand you correctly, it seems that BEFORE AND AFTER would be best for all of us in the POIS community, so I will proceed that way.

That in fact was my intent with next week's Tuesday morning...which I will now keep.

Thanks, Dave! :)

Ccconfucius

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2011, 10:57:35 PM »
Dave, if I understand you correctly, it seems that BEFORE AND AFTER would be best for all of us in the POIS community, so I will proceed that way.

That in fact was my intent with next week's Tuesday morning...which I will now keep.

also you have been using testosterone for a while and you dont what it has done to you sperm count so i will say do both,but the price.
insurance wont cover it.

My only problem is that five days seem to short, if you do in five days and there is still sperm it seem like you are going to have to do it again. 

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2011, 11:00:48 PM »
Demo T/P Update

QUESTION: Do I need to do Semen Analysis both before AND after starting T/P? I just emailed and PM'd "lauracostis" with an urgent message. If anyone else can comment, I'd appreciate that as well.

I'm still excited as hell!

edit - the urgency to my note to lauracostis is: I have the prescription for T/P but I don't know if I should start taking it.

The endocrinologist suggests that I Semen-Test 5 days into the treatment (for the "AFTER" part).

So.....I'm wondering if I need a Semen Analysis "BEFORE" starting T/P. I don't want to spend $175 twice (and BYOM - bring your own magazine  [;D] twice), unless it will benefit POIS Research.

In an ideal world, a semen analysis before your T/P treatment would be great, as it would help you to verify that your normal semen has changed as a result of the treatment. If you can afford it and you have the patience to not start your T/P prescription, it would be great.

Then again, I can see that you are excited about starting a new treatment and want to see the results! You could still find out the base level of your semen by discontinuing treatment for x days, but if its working for you then I doubt you would feel like doing this!

Good luck whichever choice you make!

Hurray, I'm choosing BEFORE+AFTER based on your post, and also daveman's at SMF, edit: and lauracostis just email-recommended me to do both as well if affordable! SO I'm glad I held off!

With T/P dosage probably continuing to be increased, alongside increased POIS improvement (hopefully!), I will probably wind up doing more Semen Analyses with each T/P dosage increase. Oh well, I didn't really need that large-screen TV yet!(In color, too!)  [:)]

Thank you, everyone!!

« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 11:06:14 PM by demografx »

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2011, 11:12:06 PM »

also you have been using testosterone for a while and you dont what it has done to you sperm count so i will say do both,but the price.
insurance wont cover it.

My only problem is that five days seem to short, if you do in five days and there is still sperm it seem like you are going to have to do it again. 

CC, I will probably have to Semen-Analyze again anyway because my endo is starting me off on a small dosage and gradually increasing it until the ideal T/P is reached (hopefully meaning zero-sperm-count A N D  hopefully No POIS!!).

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2011, 05:33:12 PM »
Demo T/P Update

Hurray, I'm choosing BEFORE+AFTER based on your post, and also daveman's at SMF, edit: and CCconfucius. Also, lauracostis just email-recommended me to do both as well if affordable! SO I'm glad I held off!

Thank you, everyone!!

17 more hours till I submit semen sample + 3 more days for results.

And tomorrow, I will start T/P treatment, right after I say goodbye to all my new friends at the fertility clinic
 :)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 05:38:45 PM by demografx »

Daveman

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2011, 12:38:19 PM »
I wonder if you will have any after effects.

Like mood or energy changes, given that you're used to "being young, virile and energetic" with the "T". P being a woman's hormone, (although present in the male system) may make some light changes.

Perhaps for a "regular person" starting out with the medication, T/P together for the first time, he may not notice much difference, one "cancels out the other animically?".

Well I guess we'll see.

Many new medications have short term effects upon initiation..... so let's see what happens.

Also, you will begin the medication while in POIS, if you start right away. My assumption is that it probably won't effect this session one way or another. Or maybe even stretch it out if in some way it may have a tendency to slow down the fast recovery you are used to instead of stop it. (obviously taken too late to do that for this session.)

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2011, 01:59:01 PM »

Demo T/P Update

OK, I just swallowed my first T/P dose! (5mg of Aygestin (norethindrone), mfg. co. is Barr  - $49.17/month. For some strange reason, I was told insurance doesn't cover it for men  [;D]

The progesterone is combined with my daily T dose which is normally 15mg, but I upped it to 30mg T this morning after producing a fertility clinic sample. And producing POIS [:)] The T-increase plus an increase in a bunch of stimulants (ADHD meds + caffeine + energy drink) helps me fight POIS Day Zero. Very successfully today, which I attribute to the "excitement" of this T/P adventure. Levitra might also have something to do with POIS abatement, but it's been a 4-year mystery because of the unknown T contribution in my POIS amelioration.

Again, please, this is NOT a recommended protocol for YOU! We're all different.

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2011, 02:02:56 PM »

I wonder if you will have any [Aygestin/progestin] after effects.

Thanks, Dave, I was a little worried, but my endo is starting me off on a relatively low dose of 5mg. Gradual increases till we (hopefully!) hit the jackpot.  :)

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2011, 02:39:34 PM »

Demo T/P Update !

-----Original Message-----

Sent:      Wednesday, April 13, 2011 9:52 AM

To:        demografx

Subject:   RE: Norethindrone + Semen Analysis

I have the [Semen Analysis] report.

Before treatment you already have no sperm.

So the question is - did you have hypogonadotrophic hypogonadism with low testosterone AND low/no sperm BEFORE treatment with testosterone.

I would go ahead with the norethindrone anyway because of the coital headache data.

Dr. G, MD

above emphases mine - demo

This is amazing! The testosterone might have been enough to bring me to aspermia? (NO SPERM).

Maybe THAT (no sperm) is why I've been at 80% POIS-free?

But my endocrinologist still feels that continuing the T/P could improve POIS even more based on the case study I sent him from the 2010 POIS STUDY in the British Medical Journal by Dr Selwyn Dexter! (PM me with your email if you want a copy)

My rapid sperm regeneration theory just went out the window, but who cares??? [:)] [:)]

« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 03:21:37 PM by demografx »