Author Topic: Xanthiol Nicotinate - Benefits, Risks and Function in POIS  (Read 293849 times)

JRD

Re: Xanthiol Nicotinate - Benefits, Risks and Function in POIS
« Reply #140 on: August 08, 2011, 02:52:34 AM »
Daveman, hard to tell.

Some specific forms of Niacin are sometimes prescribed as a dopamine "boosters" in Parkinsonian patients, moreover, Niacin seems to be helpful in treatment of many conditions, especially the mental ones (depression, schizophrenia, addictions etc.).

The widening of blood vessels caused by Niacin may be just a part of its complex functioning and not necessarily the key one in alleviation of POIS symptoms.

victor.kons

« Reply #141 on: August 08, 2011, 06:57:58 AM »
Victor, would you mind to answer me some questions, they are very important for me.

Have you changed your diet since you know you have POIS?

Do you feel a worsening of POIS symptoms when you take foods with high glycemic index(Sugars, red meat, creams, desserts...)?

If the answer is yes; if you take foods like this(with high levels) before taking Niacin and having an Orgasm, do you develop symptoms? I ask you that because i have noted that if i have eaten a big salad, fruits, and then i took fenugreek prior having an orgasm, i will develop less POIS symptoms than if i take meat, desserts and then fenugreek...

The last question: You take your nicotinic acid pills, you have the flush, and you have the orgasm 1-2-3 hours later. It doesn´t matter if you eat a lot of desserts after that, that you´re going to not have POS because you have fully eliminated the symptoms?

Thank you very much!
Hi Observer.

The short answer to your questions is: I don't limit my food in any way and I didn't change my diet. I remember that I had observed influence of food to POIS before, but in my current state it seems very very minor influence and I stopped noticed it.

When I take nicotinic acid pills and have an O 1-2-3 hours later it doesn't matter what I eat. I have no POIS, at all. Well, I feel a bit disturbed maybe after having an O, but I hardly can call it POIS, maybe 5% of POIS, or maybe no POIS at all, its too minor.

Victor
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 07:09:09 AM by victor.kons »
3 day POIS sessions, brain fog, heartbeat, digestion problems. Currently using XN for 95% relief from POIS symptoms.

Egordon

« Reply #142 on: August 09, 2011, 12:01:33 AM »
Hey All,

Your experiments are DEEPLY appreciated! Could you do us a huge favor, though, and try to mention (or link to) the brand of niacin/nicotinic acid/etc that you are using? It would be a huge help!

Thanks!
POIS since I was about 15. 1.75 years of desens and I'm now about 80% POIS free. Still working through best practices for maintaining my immunity and administering my injections with my doctor. Email me if you have tips or questions!

jivetalk

« Reply #143 on: August 09, 2011, 12:06:43 AM »
Guys,

Quote from KingKong from the other Forum which is Very Relevant here....

Quote from: Kingkong on Today at 01:48:45
I'M reading each of you since almost 2 1/2 years from now. I'M 51 years old and I'M a pois sufferer since 12 years now. But like some of you, I tried NIACIN recently and the result are very very good for me.

1) The day of O, I'M taking 300 mg 30 minutes before O.
2) If I don't sleep about one hour after O, I'M 50-60% POIS free, IF I sleep for maximum 1 hour after O' when I wake up, Im 90% free.
3) The day after O (day 1), I'm taking 100 mg when I wake up in the morning. During the day, I take other 100 mg when I feel that POIS is coming back. I can take maximum 900 mg the day of O and maximum 500 mg the day after.
4) Day 2, I'M taking 100 mg in the morning, an another 100 mg in the afternoon and I'M still 90 % POIS free.
5) Day 3, 100 mg and I'M 95% POIS free.
6) DAy 4, 100 mg, 100% POIS free.
I must say that I'M very happy whith this result and my girl friend too!

Demografx, I didn't receive your mail that every one must receive from you. Tank you.

Daveman

• Administrator
« Reply #144 on: August 09, 2011, 07:13:56 AM »
Thank you jivetalk.

Yes, there are some interesting things going on with Niacin, and also, it's important to note that there are ways to optimize it's effects, with subtle application of the Niacin. I copy here your follow-up post from NSF that include a more extensive conversation over the subject.

Thanks again.

Quote from: jivetalk
Quote from: victor.kons
Quote from: jivetalk
Quote from: victor.kons
Quote from: Kingkong
I'M reading each of you since almost 2 1/2 years from now. I'M 51 years old and I'M a pois sufferer since 12 years now. But like some of you, I tried NIACIN recently and the result are very very good for me.

1) The day of O, I'M taking 300 mg 30 minutes before O.
2) If I don't sleep about one hour after O, I'M 50-60% POIS free, IF I sleep for maximum 1 hour after O' when I wake up, Im 90% free.
3) The day after O (day 1), I'm taking 100 mg when I wake up in the morning. During the day, I take other 100 mg when I feel that POIS is coming back. I can take maximum 900 mg the day of O and maximum 500 mg the day after.
4) Day 2, I'M taking 100 mg in the morning, an another 100 mg in the afternoon and I'M still 90 % POIS free.
5) Day 3, 100 mg and I'M 95% POIS free.
6) DAy 4, 100 mg, 100% POIS free.
I must say that I'M very happy whith this result and my girl friend too!

Demografx, I didn't receive your mail that every one must receive from you. Tank you.
Hi Kingkong,

Thank you for your report! I'm glad that Niacin helps you too.

From what you write it looks like you are taking too much Niacin after O, whereas the point is to take the minimum _necessary_ dose of Niacin _prior_ to O so that you don't have to take any Niacin after O, because taking Niacin after O has far less effect. You said that you wait 30 minutes, sounds like too short time before O. After taking niacin pills we usually wait 60 minutes, you should feel the flush and let it starting go away before you have the O.

Victor

Hi Victor, As you know I've been taking 300mg for a little while now - and I can barely feel the Flush anymore if I take it at night (after dinner). (I can feel it if I take it on an empty stomach in the morning)

When you take 150mg especially after food - Do you still feel the Flush at all? or do you Just time it, and ensure that you O at least 60 minutes after Niacin?
I still feel some flush, but it is much less stronger than before. And I ensure that I have first O at least 60 minutes after Niacin.

Victor

Thanks Victor

WITHOUT RESEARCH THERE WILL BE NO CURE!
Sessions 5 to 9 days, mostly Flu-like, joints, digestion problems, light cognitive.
Niacin has changed my lif though, now 1 day MAX.
Somewhere in this interaction with Niacin is the answer!

Daveman

• Administrator
« Reply #145 on: August 09, 2011, 07:33:44 AM »
So a summary:

A good, but not excessive flush must appear and begin to subside before you have the orgasm.

The more you take the more you need to cause the flush with time. If a fixed dose is taken, enough to cause the flush, and that dose is taken regularly, after a fairly short period of time, it will require more to cause the flush.

Taking Niacin only after the orgasm doesn't work. Taking it after the orgasm does seem to help reduce the symptoms, but only if it was also taken before the orgasm. But if properly taken before the orgasm to produce a good flush and waiting for the flush to begin to subside, much less should be required after.

Remember, the more you take, the less effect it will have, or the more you will need in the long run.

It may be necesary to keep Niacin cycles down a little so as not to be taking a lot of Niacin, which lowers the flsuh threshold.

What that means is: One proper does of Niacin, can allow several orgasms, protecting against POIS for about 6 hours.
But if one has one or two orgasms per day, this would mean taking Niacin every day. Taking Niacin every day will lower the flush threshold, requiring that you take more.

This could progress to where you are taking large doses of Niacin, and potentially to where 1) Niacin no longer helps, and/or 2) liver damage results.

So it's much better to limit yourself to GOOD sex 2 or 3 times per week MAX, than to get to where Niacin doesn't even work and you have to replace your liver.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 07:22:31 AM by Daveman »
Sessions 5 to 9 days, mostly Flu-like, joints, digestion problems, light cognitive.

Ccconfucius

« Reply #146 on: August 10, 2011, 01:39:36 PM »
I dont know who brought this up but somebody just said niacin helps their other allegy.
this supports the allergy theory of niacin. it uses up the histamine necessary to cause allergic reaction from orgasm.

i wonder if there are other allergy sufferers who have the same experience.

Guthrie

• NLGroup
« Reply #147 on: August 10, 2011, 07:32:49 PM »
this supports the allergy theory of niacin. it uses up the histamine necessary to cause allergic reaction from orgasm.

Check this out:
(from: http://www.diagnose-me.com/treat/T120793.html )

Niacin, taken orally as nicotinic acid, can produce redness, warmth, and itching over areas of the skin; this "niacin flush" usually occurs when doses of 50mg or more are taken and is a result of the release of histamine by the cells, which causes vasodilation. This reaction is harmless; it may even be helpful by enhancing blood flow to the "flushed" areas, and it lasts only 10-20 minutes. When these larger doses of niacin are taken regularly, this reaction no longer occurs because stores of histamine are reduced.

So, it may be that it is OK to take niacin regularly--that is, even if you build up tolerance so that it no longer causes a flush, it might still be able to prevent POIS because it is still 'using up' the histamine.

But, I guess we'd have to test that -- someone for whom niacin helps their POIS would need to try taking the niacin on a regular basis (i.e. every day, rather than only on O-days), and see if the helping-effect is diminished by the regular-basis ingestion, or whether the helping-effect is still preserved.

Daveman

• Administrator
« Reply #148 on: August 11, 2011, 08:21:56 AM »
It's my impression that the flush, and particularly the histamine release is required, but we could try this. As you say, if all the histamine is "used up", this may be all that's required.

BTW I understand that the flush and the histamine release are two different things. The flush my instigate the histamine release, but does not guarantee it. The flush produces the conditions where the histamine release mechanism can activate.

Anyways we should have a couple of people taking a dose close to the flush barrier. They shouldn't reduce their dose to try to test this theory, but should let their system raise the flush barrier. With time and regular dosage this will happen automatically. Or to speed it up, they could take the same dosage that they are now taking but a couple of times more per day, spaced out throughout the day. This way the same dosage before orgasm won't produce the flush.

And we can see then if POIS is still "short-curcuited" or not. Orgasm frequency shouldn't be changed in this period.

This test should be done with someone who already has a stable positive niacin reaction against POIS.

I wonder why though we would go this route, when the idea is to try to keep the niacin ingestion to a minimum? Regular and increased doses, always have the risk of damaging the liver.

I suppose one answer to this question may be that it may be inevitable that the flush threshold will rise with time, and higher and higer doses will be required. So if we can function below the flush threshold with continued POIS relief we can avoid taking more and more to maintain the flush.

However it may be healthier to maintain orgasm frequency below a certain level, so as not to overwork the system. 2 or 3 per week is still MUCH better than once every 4 to 6 wks.

I think we may all agree as well, that niacin MAY not be a cure and is only a temporary solution until we find the cure. HOPEFULLY, the niacin effect will also lead us to understanding the cure.

victor.kons

« Reply #149 on: August 12, 2011, 02:20:59 AM »
It's my impression that the flush, and particularly the histamine release is required, but we could try this. As you say, if all the histamine is "used up", this may be all that's required.

BTW I understand that the flush and the histamine release are two different things. The flush my instigate the histamine release, but does not guarantee it. The flush produces the conditions where the histamine release mechanism can activate.

Anyways we should have a couple of people taking a dose close to the flush barrier. They shouldn't reduce their dose to try to test this theory, but should let their system raise the flush barrier. With time and regular dosage this will happen automatically. Or to speed it up, they could take the same dosage that they are now taking but a couple of times more per day, spaced out throughout the day. This way the same dosage before orgasm won't produce the flush.

And we can see then if POIS is still "short-curcuited" or not. Orgasm frequency shouldn't be changed in this period.

This test should be done with someone who already has a stable positive niacin reaction against POIS.

I wonder why though we would go this route, when the idea is to try to keep the niacin ingestion to a minimum? Regular and increased doses, always have the risk of damaging the liver.

I suppose one answer to this question may be that it may be inevitable that the flush threshold will rise with time, and higher and higer doses will be required. So if we can function below the flush threshold with continued POIS relief we can avoid taking more and more to maintain the flush.

However it may be healthier to maintain orgasm frequency below a certain level, so as not to overwork the system. 2 or 3 per week is still MUCH better than once every 4 to 6 wks.

I think we may all agree as well, that niacin MAY not be a cure and is only a temporary solution until we find the cure. HOPEFULLY, the niacin effect will also lead us to understanding the cure.

To  be short, I was on uncontrolled XN take more than a year now, with 4-6 O's per week in a batches of 2-3 O's per day and I NEVER had to increase my dose of XN. I think the same is true to pure Niacin. So, I would just didn't worried about that. What makes me wonder now, really really wonder is the question: are there ANY POISers out there that don't feel any relief after taking the Niacin. If all POISers have the relief from Niacin, it must have very strong relation to a cure then. Note, that I'm talking only about taking of Niacin before O. After O it MIGHT be useless.

Victor
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 02:23:55 AM by victor.kons »
3 day POIS sessions, brain fog, heartbeat, digestion problems. Currently using XN for 95% relief from POIS symptoms.

Starsky

• NDL_Group
« Reply #150 on: August 14, 2011, 07:00:40 AM »
A text about Niacin:
 TOURETTE SYNDROME, ALLERGY
         AND THE B6 DEPENDENCY STATE

I have my Bachelor's degree in Biology, specializing in Medical
Technology, and in graduate school, I took graduate courses in
biochemistry.  I work as a medical technologist performing and
verifying clinical laboratory tests in Chemistry, Hematology and
Blood Bank at Mt.Carmel East Medical Center in Columbus, Ohio.
I do not have TS but my son, Jason (13 yrs old) has TS with OCD.
ADD has not been formally diagnosed, although he has problems
with organization, distractibility, and the ability to switch gears.
My son has had allergies since he was a baby.  He
is sensitive to red dye #40 with tired splitting headaches which
make him scream until he is exhausted and sleeps.  This, of course,
hasn't happened in several years since he has avoided the dye.
He also is allergic to sulfa, molds, dust, grass, trees, and most airborn
allergens.  He has been on the vitamins below for 1.5 months and the
teachers
have said that he is a different kid.  Medications that he had been
on made him progressively worse, and so we made a personal decision
to discontinue meds altogether.  He now is motivated in school,
concentrates
and finishes his work, and is less disruptive with his tics in class.  At
home he still has his tics and compulsions, but they are shorter lived
and occur less often.  He has had a set back this week due to a new
semester with a new schedule, plus a very moldy, rainy few days.  We
gave him a little extra calcium-magnesium and one extra vitamin B3.
He said that this gave him relief from his symptoms (he has never
said this before with anything else).

I solidified my theory on the premise that Jason
is probably mildly vitamin B6 dependent.  He was either born requiring
high amounts of B6, and/or B6 antagonists attacked early in his first year
of life.  B6 antagonists are hydrazines (plant growth regulators,
tartrazine,
etc), DOPA found in certain beans, penicillinamine, antioxidants in
petroleum, many drugs including penicillin, erythromycin, phenobarbital,
tetracycline, corticosteroids, sulfamethoxazole, etc.   Amino acids began
building up in his system, from decreased transamination, etc.
Serotonin became decreased from tryptophan not being able to
be utilized. Allergies developed (which is in association with low B6),
I believe allergy produces swings in histamine levels which causes
a constant fluctuation in neurotransmitters capable of producing mood
swings and rages. The conservation of vitamin B6 (when not abundantly
available) causes it to be used by the prevailing neurotransmitter system
at any given time, leaving other neurotransmitter systems less than
optimally functional.  Histamine receptors have been found to trigger
dopamine receptors directly.
Histamine is also a neurotransmitter affected by deficient vitamin B6.
Its
receptor sites are probably increased to compensate.  Kinins released
into the body's tissues in response to immune complexes can damage
the blood brain barrier, thus altering the sensitivity of brain cells to
acetylcholine, serotonin, dopamine, histamine, epineprine and
norepineprine.

I found that L-dopa doesn't readily form dopamine in B6 deficiency,
so probably dopamine is reduced causing an increase in
dopamine receptor sites along with an increase the norepinephrine
and epinephrine (which are formed from dopamine) receptors sites.
These increased receptor sites make the nerves more excitable and
false transmitters or true neurotransmitters can set them off with
explosive qualities.   These false transmitters can
be phenolic substances, such as food additives, drugs, etc. 
The enzyme, phenol sulfotransferase (PST), detoxifies and eliminates
phenolics (drugs, food additives, serotonin, dopamine (to name a few). 
In the brain, sulfation is used while glucuronidation prevails elsewhere.
Cysteine requires B6 to enzymatically release sulfur for sulfation of
these phenols by PST.  Considering this, the neurotransmitters would
would be conserved to a certain extent (their sulfation and elimination
would be slowed down).  ADD may happen when these false transmitters
create background "noise", and if there is a real message to get through
via other neurons, it is masked.  When a true message is fired, it may
have too strong of a signal, creating a strong impulsion, which can lead
to the development of a tic or compulsion if the impulsion is acted upon
and repeated creating a sort of conditioned reflex network of nerves.
Mental, motor, and vocal tics can develop this way.

According to my_ Biochemistry_ by Lehninger textbook
from my graduate student in Biology days, tryptophan is broken down
in Vitamin B3 deficiency to make nicotinic acid.  Tryptophan is
found in meat and is plentiful, if you are a meat eater. Tryptophan
is the precursor for serotonin.  I also looked up Vitamin B3 and
how it could be connected to the issues of allergy
and serotonin defiency in the brain.  I found that Vitamin B3 is used
to make NAD, NADP, which are coenzymes used in making
histamine and serotonin (to name a few), and are essential in
oxidative-reductive cellular metabolism.  The B3 is needed due to
tryptophan's inability to be broken down to nicotinic acid without
adequate B6. 

So, if Vitamins B3 and B6 are being used for histamine production, then
serotonin production suffers.  Tryptophan then must be used in
a higher frequency to make nicotinic acid.  In Vitamin B6
deficiency, this cannot happen, because the enzyme kynurinase,
that catalyzes the cleavage of 3 hydroxykynurine
(an intermediate in tryptophan catabolism),
contains pyridoxal phosphate (an active coenzyme form of Vitamin B6).
In Vitamin B6 deficiency, large amounts of L-kynurenine are excreted
in the urine, because of its high plasma levels.
This is described in "Elevated plasma kynurenine in
Tourette syndrome", _Molecular & Chemical Neuropathology_21(1):
55-60,1994 Jan.   Kynurenine itself is metabolised to other
substances, several of which are known to have effects on
neurones. (per a research study done at University College
London Medical School  Harlow, England by Sheila L. Handley,
BPharm, Ph.D. 1994)  Large amounts of tryptophan which is broken down
to ineffectively try to produce nicotinic acid reduces the amount of
serotonin produced.   Ineffective tryptophan utilization
also uses alot of oxygen with tryptophan 2,3-dioxygenase. 
Low serotonin levels could cause obsessive compulsive behaviour,
depression, and other mood related disorders. 

B6 is also required for the decarboxylase step of
serotonin, histamine, and catecholamine pathways in the brain.
In low B6, conservation takes place, so that B6 is used for fewer
enzymes.  When allergy strikes, the production of histamine causes
a further imbalance of neurotransmitters, causing serotonin and/or
catecholamine production to be further depleted. 

Sherry A Rogers, M.D., a specialist in environmental medicine,
reports that all of the TS cases she has seen have a least one
nutrient deficiency, and usually several.  And she notes that all
of these patients have hidden mold, dust, chemical and food
sensitivities. ("Tourette Syndrome", _Health Counselor_, Vol.7, No.4)

Acetylcholine is produced by acetyl CoA and choline.
The choline is supplied through lecithin in Jason's supplements.
In vitamin B6 deficiency, acetyl CoA would be made by
fatty acid oxidation.  So acetycholine could be functional
with an adequate supply of fatty acids (evening primrose oil or flax
oil might be useful).
Acetylcholine could be in shorter supply in the parasympathetic
system (relaxation) due to overuse in the sympathetic system where
norepinephrine usually rules. The parasympathetic nervous system would
need to have more acetylcholine in TS and associated disorders, it seems.
Relaxation through the parasympathetic nervous system (which uses
acetylcholine), where the heart rate is slowed, the blood pressure is
lowered, the food is digested well, etc. is difficult in TS.

Acetylcholine is probably overactive in the sympathetic autonomic
nervous system, trying to stimulate the low supply of catecholamines,
which would be decreased due to B6 deficiency/dependency.
The receptors sites for catecholamines would be hyperexcitable
and  increased in number.  The net usage of catecholamines could
be normal to decreased due to increased stimulation by acetylcholine,
depending on the availability of B6 in the body, and the conservation by
low
sulfation by PST.

Conditions of emotional stress are known to produce more ticcing in TS.
In short term stress, norepineprine, dopamine, and epineprine should
be able to be produced by the conservation tactics of the body, but in
long term stress, these would be exhausted, especially when another
B6 dependent system is triggered.  Likewise, the same would happen
when histamine and serotonin are produced in short term and long term
allergy.  But as you might expect, the short term conditions
would be explosive events with all of those increased receptor sites!

Acetylcholine is also involved in the contraction of
voluntary muscle cells and many other motor nerves, which are
in heavy use in TS.   Many people with TS are helped by
exercise, where cardiac output and increased body temperature
over a period of time inhibit the sympathetic nervous system.  It
may also help to clear toxic waste, such as kynurenine.

Adequate water intake would be required to catabolize
acetylcholine by cholinesterase.  In my opinion
acetylcholine is needed in B6 deficiency/dependency to run
the nervous system. Fatty acids are essential to its success
in this situation.  Fatty acids require NADPH2, and NADH2
for their synthesis, and thus Vitamin B3. Water is also an utmost
requirement in keeping acetylcholine from becoming a continuous
firecracker.  Jason has a water bottle close by most times and
drinks tons of water.  Water has always calmed him down. It may
also dilute the kynurenine, excess amino acids and promote their
 excretion.

If you look at the material written on the Canadian Mennonite families
that
have been studied with
Tourette's disorder, you will see a high frequency of autoimmune and rare
conditions. These findings are consistent with what one can expect with
other
Tourette's patients. For example, there is a high frequency of allergic
conditions.

My informal survey of TS and allergy results from the online TS support
 group are:

With a total of 25 respondents with TS:

96% have allergies  (24 out of 25)
               56% have mold allergies

72% have obsessive complulsive traits (18 out of 25)
               67% of those with obsessive compulsive traits
                               have mold allergies

3 respondents thought they may have mold allergies, but
weren't sure

52% have pollen allergies (ragweed, grass, tree, etc)
               56% of those with obsessive compulsive traits have pollen
                      allergy

48 % have animal allergies (cats, dogs, horse)
               39% of those with obsessive compulsive traits have animal
                      allergies

40% have dust allergy
              39% of those with obsessive compulsive traits have dust
                        allergy

20% have penicillin allergy
              28 % of those with obsessive compulsive traits have
                     penicillin allergy

20 % have miscellaneous allergies
                 11% of those with obsessive compulsive traits have
                          miscellaneous allergies

16 % have food allergies
                22 % of those with obsessive complulsive traits have
                        food allergies

8% have sulfa allergy
                11% of those with obsessive compulsive traits have
                           sulfa allergy

Habibou

• Lab1
« Reply #151 on: August 16, 2011, 07:46:18 AM »
Does anybody know where we could find Niacin in a drugstore or on a trustful website? I have seen the Australian link but it is pretty far  ;D
I live in France and they don t sell it in a drugstore ! It would be great to be supplied in Europe so, many thanks!  :)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 07:48:16 AM by Habibou »
Brain fog 90%  + tired all the time ,sport intolerance, fast heartbeat, colon inflammation

Daveman

• Administrator
« Reply #152 on: August 16, 2011, 01:23:32 PM »
Starsky, Starsky, Starsky!!!!

WOW, very good if not rather dense for us less educated in this area. I would like to open a thread with your post here as the lead in post! I would like to discuss this and clarify it more for the more lay-people of us. Wonderful write up and I think starting from there we may even find serious advance in our quest to cure POIS.

It relates to this thread, so I'll leave it here, but as i said, I feel it also deserves a thread in itself for further more dedicated discusson.

Jon

« Reply #153 on: August 16, 2011, 02:36:14 PM »
Hey guys, I took Niacin for the first time yesterday and took it twice, once int he morning and once at night. I took 200mg and didnt feel much so at night I took about 400mg. I didnt feel much more than a little tingling and waited until it subsided to have an orgasm. It did not prevent my POIS. I dont know if I didnt take enough or its sumply not working but 400 mg seems like a lot for the first day. Any thoughts on what I might be doing wrong?
My cognitive symptoms started suddenly during an orgasm when I was 16. I then developed my POIS and cognitive/physical symptoms became very severe. Had to leave work and school. This year I had 60% success with regimen. Recently the symptoms have gotten worse again. Let's help each other.

Habibou

• Lab1
« Reply #154 on: August 16, 2011, 02:49:58 PM »
Did you take the "fast release Niacin version"?? I only tried the slow one and i was upset too ! Try to find the faster version (and give me a link if you find before me !  :P thanks)
Brain fog 90%  + tired all the time ,sport intolerance, fast heartbeat, colon inflammation

victor.kons

« Reply #155 on: August 18, 2011, 02:04:11 AM »
Hey guys, I took Niacin for the first time yesterday and took it twice, once int he morning and once at night. I took 200mg and didnt feel much so at night I took about 400mg. I didnt feel much more than a little tingling and waited until it subsided to have an orgasm. It did not prevent my POIS. I dont know if I didnt take enough or its sumply not working but 400 mg seems like a lot for the first day. Any thoughts on what I might be doing wrong?

Seems having a flush is a good indicator that you are doing everything right. No flush - means something wrong. I would say that at least for beginning one MUST seek for the flush with Niacin.

I say for the beginning, because when I do XN injections of 0.5 ml I feel very very light flush if feel flush at all, still the injections help me. But at the beginning I felt the flush, not very strong too, but much much stronger than now.

Right now I'm combining XN injections and pure Niacin Acid pills. I take the pills when I can wait for the sex and I do the injection when I don't want to wait. And seems injections and pills live in peace with each other

Victor
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 02:17:47 AM by victor.kons »

Vincent M

• Physical overshadows cognitive symptoms. 10yrs.
« Reply #156 on: August 18, 2011, 06:14:40 PM »
It did not prevent my POIS. I dont know if I didnt take enough or its sumply not working but 400 mg seems like a lot for the first day. Any thoughts on what I might be doing wrong?

Did you take it about an hour before orgasm and on an empty stomach?
Taking ginger tea, no wheat, fenugreek+green tea/garlic, saw palmetto, niacin, boswellia, huperzine, B complex and nutmeg. See my treatment summary post for more info: http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=81.msg3513#msg3513

Jon

« Reply #157 on: August 18, 2011, 10:53:30 PM »
Yes I did. I guess i'll try taking more but 400 seemed like a lot for the first day.
My cognitive symptoms started suddenly during an orgasm when I was 16. I then developed my POIS and cognitive/physical symptoms became very severe. Had to leave work and school. This year I had 60% success with regimen. Recently the symptoms have gotten worse again. Let's help each other.

jivetalk

« Reply #158 on: August 19, 2011, 07:44:29 AM »
Yes I did. I guess i'll try taking more but 400 seemed like a lot for the first day.

Hi Jon,

Do the pills you are taking have 'Nicotinic Acic' as the main ingredient? Any other Variant of Niacin (apart from Xanthinol Nicotinate) has not yet been tried, and is usually related to 'non flush' Niacin. 400mg is definitely a Lot for the first try on an empty stomach, and you should be feeling it it pretty heavily with that much dosage. Also, an Extended Release type of Niacin - we believe at this stage may not be as effective or effective at all against POIS.

So Main Points

1. Ensure that it is Flush Type of Niacin (Nicotinic Acid)
2. Ensure that it is not Extended Release Niacin
3. Only Take it 1 Hour Prior to Orgasm (not prior, as this may build up your resistance)
4. Initially try on an Empty Stomach
5. Ensure you have a Flush, let it pass then O (this usually happens within the hour)
6. 400mg should be PLENTY
7. Please take care with experimentation and consult with your doctor, especially if taking any other meds, or if you have any previous ailments

Found a nice article about Niacin and Flush here

http://www.doctoryourself.com/niacin.html

JT

jivetalk

« Reply #159 on: August 19, 2011, 07:48:03 AM »
Adding a Post from the Other Forum from 'HURRAY' here.......

Very encouraging results. I am sincerely hoping Niacin helps 80-100% of sufferers in some form.

"I was a little reluctant to post with incomplete results, but I have tried niacin (250mg) before O twice now, and it does a lot to alleviate my symptoms. For now, the 250mg seems to be enough to give me the flush. I would say that compared to nothing, it reduces my symptoms (mostly cognitive brain fog) by about 60-70%.

So far I have only tried it on its own - normally, I would take a dose of fenugreek before and after O. It will be interesting to try niacin in combination with fenugreek, and I will do this at some point, but I thought it would be more "scientific" to let niacin do its work without any assistance.

So, mark up another success for niacin! I hope it proves effective in the long-term as well as the short-term." HURRAY