Author Topic: Viral infection of vagus and treatment  (Read 9111 times)

Nightingale

Viral infection of vagus and treatment
« on: May 21, 2016, 06:40:51 PM »
Hello everyone,

I have become aware of a theory proposing a viral cause for chronic fatigue syndrome that fit my experience with health problems including POIS. I have thought of POIS as a sort of transient Chronic Fatigue Syndrome for some time now. Please read of the theory, proposed by a Harvard researcher: http://hhv-6foundation.org/news/cfs-a-herpesvirus-infection-of-the-vagus-nerve

In this theory, an asthma medication called Ibudilast is suggested as a treatment alongside antivirals. I do not have access to this medicine in the USA, and I do not tolerate antivirals. Instead I've found an herb with a similar mechanism to Ibudilast called luteolin. I was able to get luteolin in the product Neuroprotek. I have tried this supplement and am experiencing significant improvement, enough to believe there is serious weight to this theory.

This theory brings together many things people have mentioned as potential causes of their POIS, as well as the many treatments we have tried. What has been very interesting to me are many reports of POIS beginning after accidents or physical trauma. This kind of event could reactivate latent virus in immune privileged nerve cells like is mentioned in the theory. I in fact had a severe neck spasm in my youth around when POIS began. This injury hurts me til today. Also, changes in our diets in this modern world as well as antibiotics have lead to gut dysfunction. The vagus nerve is the primary nerve of the digestive system, it makes sense gut inflammation could aggravate virus in the vagus.

I encourage you all strongly to talk to your doctor about Ibudilast, or about Neuroprotek. Read the article and learn about diagnosing of viral infection at the website. Identify physical injuries and treat them to lower inflammation, especially near the spine. And eat a diet that is low in allergenic food, and high in polyphenols and flavanoids (found in many fruits and vegetables. Kurtosis is a man who had POIS that cured himself on such a diet)

All the best to my brothers (and sisters?) with POIS
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 02:28:39 PM by Nightingale »
Turmeric and Rosemary 30-45 minutes before orgasm for anti-inflammatory and immune support has helped me a lot. Faster and easier than niacin approach.

Quantum

• Administrator
Re: Viral infection of vagus and treatment
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2016, 09:35:02 PM »
Hi Nightingale and Muon,

I came across luteolin when I was looking for natural mast cell stabilizers.   I saw I was taking luteolin through the use of artichoke extract, that contains luteolin ( I take artichoke quite often for my sluggish liver).  When I learned there was luteolin in it, I began to sometime use it in addition to quercetin, my favorite natural mast cell inhibitor.  There is some quercetin, and some rutin, along with the luteoline, in the Neuroprotek product you take, Nightingale.

I sure get benefit from quercetin, and from artichoke too.  I do not know if our mast cells ( and other parts of oour immune system) are triggered by a viral infection or by an unknown antigen ( like from the semen), or by both and by other cumulative factors, but I sure think there is an over activity of mast cells in POIS, and that too much pro-inflammatory cytokines are released in the body.  Preventing mast cells to release those inflammatory mediators sounds like a good strategy to me.  This may prevent many complications, and in particular, I think, the immunologic upregulation of some enzyme by those pro-inflammatory cytokines, like the IDO and TDO enzymes, which cause further problems in the body, like emotional and cognitive symptoms.

I totally agree with adjusting diet to lower intestinal inflammation,and increasing polyphenolic antioxidants intake  ( I use many antioxidants, too, and not only from the polyphenolis family - I try to get other types in as well, like lignan, from flaxseed oil, and quercetin, of course, and others).  I remember that Kurtosis was very found of blueberry.  They are a great source of polyphenols.  Many small, colored fruits, are. - Juneberry, elderberry, honeysuckle blue berries, acaï berries, and the like.

Keep us updated with your results with luteolin, Nightingale.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 12:14:10 PM by Quantum »
You are 100% responsible for what you do with anything I post on this forum and of any consequence it could have for you.  Forum rule: ""Do not use POISCenter as a substitute for, or to give, medical advice" Read the remaining part at http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=1.msg10259#msg10259

Limejuice

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2016, 10:10:19 PM »
Curious... Among supplements and foods to test that relate to histamine issues I have these on a list:

Mexican dried oregano
Raw capers
Neuroprotek

Thanks for posting Nightingale

Nightingale

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2016, 10:35:49 AM »
So I decided to test Valtrex (valacyclovir) after an orgasm. I can't tolerate too much because don't metabolize medications will, but within about 2 hours my muscle soreness and some fatigue was improved quite a bit. I have a slight headache now from the side effects, but that is fairly common with anti virals. Lots of water is important.
Turmeric and Rosemary 30-45 minutes before orgasm for anti-inflammatory and immune support has helped me a lot. Faster and easier than niacin approach.

FloppyBanana

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2016, 11:46:15 AM »
So I decided to test Valtrex (valacyclovir) after an orgasm. I can't tolerate too much because don't metabolize medications will, but within about 2 hours my muscle soreness and some fatigue was improved quite a bit. I have a slight headache now from the side effects, but that is fairly common with anti virals. Lots of water is important.

Hi Nightingale,

Thanks for your posts. Are you trying to cure or treat symptoms with Valtrex? It looks to me that this type of drug would be used to clear out a virus and to do this you would take something like a seven day course of the drug. Seems odd to do a post O trail of it. I thought you are involved in the Dr K study? And if so I would have thought that you would would not be able to be try medication as this could affect the testing of the ear stimulator?

Thanks FB
30 years of POIS. Mytelase after O with Iceman breathing technique.

Vandemolen

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2016, 08:48:39 PM »
Chronic fatigue syndrome from vagus nerve infection: A psychoneuroimmunological hypothesis

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0306987713002752

Oh wait, it's the same paper!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 09:01:15 PM by Vandemolen »
POIS since 2000. Very bad since 2008. I knew that I have POIS since June 2010. Desensitization since March 2011. I stopped with desens in July 2016. I have 50% less POIS. And only 1 day of POIS. Purified CBD works for me, but I am allergic for CBD.

Vandemolen

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2016, 06:59:39 PM »
POIS since 2000. Very bad since 2008. I knew that I have POIS since June 2010. Desensitization since March 2011. I stopped with desens in July 2016. I have 50% less POIS. And only 1 day of POIS. Purified CBD works for me, but I am allergic for CBD.