Author Topic: A few questions about niacin  (Read 8832 times)

serotonergic

A few questions about niacin
« on: October 17, 2014, 11:46:37 PM »
I'm looking to give niacin a shot and have a few questions.

What's the correct form of niacin that I should be using?

Will it do anything for me if I take it post orgasm?

Let's say that I'm currently in a POIS period, will I get any positive effects from having an orgasm with a niacin flush? Will it take me out of a POIS period?

Thanks

Nightingale

Re: A few questions about niacin
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 02:58:40 PM »
I'm looking to give niacin a shot and have a few questions.

What's the correct form of niacin that I should be using?

Will it do anything for me if I take it post orgasm?

Let's say that I'm currently in a POIS period, will I get any positive effects from having an orgasm with a niacin flush? Will it take me out of a POIS period?

Thanks

You want to look for "nicotinic acid" or just "niacin", not Inositol hexanicotinate

Unfortunately, it will not take away your symptoms if you are already symptomatic. You need to successfully flush before orgasm to experience relief, but you will only experience relief of some not all symptoms. If you had an orgasm again now soon after your last, it will make things worse even with niacin. Give it some time so you can return to your own normal
Turmeric and Rosemary 30-45 minutes before orgasm for anti-inflammatory and immune support has helped me a lot. Faster and easier than niacin approach.

Prancer

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 03:48:04 AM »
I should say that while the most common use of niacin seems to be for prevention of symptoms, I mainly use niacin *during* POIS when my cognitive symptoms are really bad. The standard pre-orgasm method doesn't work well for me, but what works a little bit (for me at least) is taking the niacin during POIS. The tingly, warm feeling that follows temporarily relieves some of my cognitive symptoms, and when taken at night (but not right before bed), helps me get to sleep faster. So for me, niacin makes me feel better, and I use it mainly during POIS. It's only temporary though, and not a permanent solution.

Nightingale

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 02:03:33 PM »
I should say that while the most common use of niacin seems to be for prevention of symptoms, I mainly use niacin *during* POIS when my cognitive symptoms are really bad. The standard pre-orgasm method doesn't work well for me, but what works a little bit (for me at least) is taking the niacin during POIS. The tingly, warm feeling that follows temporarily relieves some of my cognitive symptoms, and when taken at night (but not right before bed), helps me get to sleep faster. So for me, niacin makes me feel better, and I use it mainly during POIS. It's only temporary though, and not a permanent solution.

Prancer, I have been experiencing similar benefits by inducing a tingly, flushing sensation by taking Cayenne pepper supplements on the suggestion of Quantum. The warming feeling helps tone the nervous system, and it has been really helpful for me in preventing my previously baffling fatigues that would hit after eating my lunch. Also, ginger provides the same warming properties.

I'm really starting to wonder if that is the real reason niacin helps...
Turmeric and Rosemary 30-45 minutes before orgasm for anti-inflammatory and immune support has helped me a lot. Faster and easier than niacin approach.

Prancer

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 04:45:10 PM »

Prancer, I have been experiencing similar benefits by inducing a tingly, flushing sensation by taking Cayenne pepper supplements on the suggestion of Quantum. The warming feeling helps tone the nervous system, and it has been really helpful for me in preventing my previously baffling fatigues that would hit after eating my lunch. Also, ginger provides the same warming properties.

I'm really starting to wonder if that is the real reason niacin helps...

Interesting Nightingale, I will try the cayenne pepper & ginger sometime soon to see how they work, thanks! - Prancer

PS: And I should also say Nightingale, it's always great to see you post. You're always very impassioned and eloquent when you type. You're also very rational and sensible. Your past is sad to read about (your depression, etc.), but you've come a long way, and I'm so glad you're feeling better. Like I've said to others, hopefully 2015 will be our year for a cure! Have a happy holidays & new year! :]
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 01:10:39 AM by Prancer »

Nightingale

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 09:22:44 AM »
PS: And I should also say Nightingale, it's always great to see you post. You're always very impassioned and eloquent when you type. You're also very rational and sensible. Your past is sad to read about (your depression, etc.), but you've come a long way, and I'm so glad you're feeling better. Like I've said to others, hopefully 2015 will be our year for a cure! Have a happy holidays & new year! :]

Wow, what a warming thing to read! I am just now realizing that is an ironic thing to say in this thread... haha! I so very appreciate it, I am happy to know you feel I contribute in such a significant way. Happy holidays to you!

Going less Crazy

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2015, 05:21:04 AM »
I also have a few questions about niacin, for those who think they have an allergy to a hormone and niacin actually helps them if taken pre-orgasm as it does for me.  I'm not sure on a percentage, but I do know if helps me.  Actually today I was really surprised because I was in POIS from a poorly managed "O" and took olive leaf, but didn't do the right procedure.  So I took niacin during POIS (after O) and noticed very very slight redness, indicating OLE's affect on my body to relieve inflammation.  Usually when I take niacin (I usually take 500mg pre-O and I did the same this time (500 mg) after O) I look seriously like a lobster for at least 15-20 minutes.  This time barely any redness, not even pink.  Questions:

Can you take niacin and have an orgasm one day and do the same the next day (take niacin, flush and "O") or the day after without it causing POIS symptoms?  In other words, what is the fewest span in between days that niacin works for an intended orgasm for POIS?

How much relief did you get?

What was the duration of your relief from this "O" with niacin?  Did POIS appear days later or not?

Did you try it with any other medications, antihistamines or vitamins?

* I may be trying a niacin, Olive leaf extract and Benadryl combo to fully relieve my POIS.  I tend to screw up sometimes with the OLE because either I "O" too early without OLE being in affect, or I "O" too much or too late.  Niacin will give me the time I need and let me know when I should take the OLE/Benadryl (after the flush subsides), than wait 30 minutes and "O".  It'll tell me the digestion time of my body, I will know when niacin is being digested by the flush and so I will know when the OLE is being digested and is in affect, leading me for a perfect time to "O", maybe even a couple times but I don't want to push it.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 05:23:05 AM by Going less Crazy »
My POIS managed with Diet (@ diet that 100% manages my pois)Believe my POIS stems from inflammation in the gut. O = neuro POIS from inflammation from the gut

supps: microdose zyrtec if needed for food sens. ibuprofen for infl. as needed. Melatonin as needed. Big Pinch Black cumin  seeds once daily

Scary sheep

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 08:32:43 AM »
For me, Niacin stopped the immediate onset of POIS after O (30 seconds to a couple minutes), but I would always wake the next day aching like crazy. Niacin has seemed to stop helping my POIS, so I take taurine as well now. Honestly, when I'm feeling like an ice cube while POISing, the warmth of the Niacin flush can be addicting.
Symptoms last 6-7 days. Onset of muscle weakness after 30 seconds. Symptoms include: brain fog, fatigue, depression, pale skin/dark circles under eyes,  digestive problems, difficulty taking a full breath, irritability. NONE of these are present out of POIS.

Rechabite

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2015, 02:21:20 PM »
Niacin before O is the only thing I have tried that has worked for me, but it doesn't work as well every time. I wonder if I sometimes get the timing wrong - what is the generally accepted best time between ingestion of niacin and O ?

poisioq

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2015, 02:35:57 PM »
Does niacin also help you toprevent  stomach symptoms? Now my pois has changed since I stopped using niacin:  my main symptom is Ibs flare from day 2 untill god knows when. Sometimes it lasts for a couple of weeks!!!