Author Topic: Quercetin helping  (Read 8922 times)

Disaster

Quercetin helping
« on: May 23, 2014, 11:49:48 PM »
I just started taking Quercetin 3 weeks ago after I read a study that it helped prostatitis patients and some cystitis patients. For a long long time urologists labeled my POIS a form of Prostatitis. I do get epididymitis like pain for days or weeks sometimes. So I started taking 1000mg of Quercetin. I think its helping by reducing my recovery days in half and some symptoms in half too. I don't feel it help too much with cognitive issues. I think it may be helping because it is known to help with allergies.
POIS sufferer for over 3 decades. Has progressively gotten worse over the years and I became completely disabled around 2011. My case of POIS is very severe.

Going less Crazy

Re: Quercetin helping
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 06:49:55 PM »
I wonder what happens if you take this prior to O.  Most antihistamines only work for me (and others) if taken prior to O.  Once the reaction happens there is little I can do to stop it, but if I stop the reaction in the first place it makes a world full of difference.
My POIS managed with Diet (@ diet that 100% manages my pois)Believe my POIS stems from inflammation in the gut. O = neuro POIS from inflammation from the gut

supps: microdose zyrtec if needed for food sens. ibuprofen for infl. as needed. Melatonin as needed. Big Pinch Black cumin  seeds once daily

Going less Crazy

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 01:01:32 AM »
I know this is an old topic but I am going to start a quercetin and bromelain (if that's how you spell it) supplementation beginning by hopefully this Wednesday.  It is called NOW foods, quercetin/bromelain.  I plan to take it once a day and will update on my reaction.  It is a researched mast cell stabilizer helpful for allergies and inflammation.  I will update.  -GLC
My POIS managed with Diet (@ diet that 100% manages my pois)Believe my POIS stems from inflammation in the gut. O = neuro POIS from inflammation from the gut

supps: microdose zyrtec if needed for food sens. ibuprofen for infl. as needed. Melatonin as needed. Big Pinch Black cumin  seeds once daily

Quantum

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 09:50:57 PM »
I know this is an old topic but I am going to start a quercetin and bromelain (if that's how you spell it) supplementation beginning by hopefully this Wednesday.  It is called NOW foods, quercetin/bromelain.  I plan to take it once a day and will update on my reaction.  It is a researched mast cell stabilizer helpful for allergies and inflammation.  I will update.  -GLC

Hi GLC,

I use both quercetin and bromelain in my pre-O pack (among other things), and they sure help reducing my symptoms.  I came to use them because i wanted to block the production of the pro-inflammatory immune messengers occurring just after O.  I do not have any allergic-type symptoms, like runny nose or hives - mine are emotional symptoms ( anxiety, irritability, mood swings, .... )  and fatigue.  What I get is related to serotonin depletion and quinolinic acid production in the brain, taht is, at least, what I came to understand. Quercetin and bromelain help, because less inflammatory messengers production means less messing up with tryptophan metabolism, so less serotonin depletion and less quinolinic acid production in my brain.

In any case, whatever is your hypothesis about POIS, be sure to take your "pre-O pack" at least 50 minutes to 1 hour before O.  The supplements you take have to dissolve in the stomach or small intestine, be absorbed and make it into the blood stream, and get distributed through the whole body via the circulatory system.  In order to be effective, they have to be already "on site" when O happens.  10 to 20 minutes is too short, and maximum distribution may take more than one hour, but after one hour, a good part of what you have taken is on site and ready.

So, I totally agree with what you have written last June:

I wonder what happens if you take this prior to O.  Most antihistamines only work for me (and others) if taken prior to O.  Once the reaction happens there is little I can do to stop it, but if I stop the reaction in the first place it makes a world full of difference.

Once you have let your immune system start a frenzy of pro-inflammatory cytokines production ( IL-6, TNF-alpha, interferon-gamma, .... ), it is hard to stop this reaction.  It is well known, for example, that if you are allergic to cats, it is much more effective to take your antihistamine tablet 1 hour before going at the place where the cat is, than taking it upon arrival, or once you have already began to have symptoms.

Please share your results with bromelain and quercetin, I will be interested to hear about it.  Try adding some curcumin to it if not satisfied with the results you get - I use it also with those two, and with some more antioxidants as well, Iand I get excellent results.

Wishing you the best!

You are 100% responsible for what you do with anything I post on this forum and of any consequence it could have for you.  Forum rule: ""Do not use POISCenter as a substitute for, or to give, medical advice" Read the remaining part at http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=1.msg10259#msg10259

Going less Crazy

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 02:22:50 AM »
I have similar symptoms to you Quantum, all brain emotional reactions.  Do you have any opinion on anything else that could cause this sort of reaction? Like a virus/disease or hormonal imbalance?  Doesn't sound like "O" problems would have to do with a virus/disease problem, but possibly hormonal imbalance.  I'm considering getting the Igenex test for lyme but this main "O" symptom seems like it would have little to do with lyme disease, plus I never saw a bullseye rash or anything on my body.  Just would like to know your opinion, because it is also weird that certain foods have a harmful/debilitating effect on my mental health.

Your theory sounds correct from my point of view and why antihistamines and such help us.  Right now I am looking for something to take everyday without "tired" side effects because these antihistamines seem to make me tired.  I got Quercetin because it is actually not supposed to cause tiredness.  I received the bottle of Quercetin/bromelain and will supplement with that beginning tomorrow morning and will update.

-GLC

Quantum

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 10:35:43 AM »
I have similar symptoms to you Quantum, all brain emotional reactions.  Do you have any opinion on anything else that could cause this sort of reaction? Like a virus/disease or hormonal imbalance?  Doesn't sound like "O" problems would have to do with a virus/disease problem, but possibly hormonal imbalance.  I'm considering getting the Igenex test for lyme but this main "O" symptom seems like it would have little to do with lyme disease, plus I never saw a bullseye rash or anything on my body.  Just would like to know your opinion, because it is also weird that certain foods have a harmful/debilitating effect on my mental health.

Your theory sounds correct from my point of view and why antihistamines and such help us.  Right now I am looking for something to take everyday without "tired" side effects because these antihistamines seem to make me tired.  I got Quercetin because it is actually not supposed to cause tiredness.  I received the bottle of Quercetin/bromelain and will supplement with that beginning tomorrow morning and will update.

-GLC

Hi GLC,

I think there are many possible triggers, and to me, it all boils down to an inappropriate/auto-immune reaction.  For example, for the hormones, it is well-known that progesterone and testosterone promote immune tolerance.  So, a lack of them will cause immune intolerance.  In such cases like low levels of testosterone, TRT could be enough to reestablish a level of immune tolerance that will prevent the exaggerated immune response following semen contact. 

Anything that will help block the pro-inflammatory cytokines massive production after O will help reduce or eliminate POIS, in my view.  That is why anti-H1 may helps, antiinflammatories, and antioxidants too, as well as IDO and TDO inhibitors.

For a more detailed description, with some interesting slides I have found on the net, see my recent post at http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=1988.msg15559#msg15559

Have a great day!
You are 100% responsible for what you do with anything I post on this forum and of any consequence it could have for you.  Forum rule: ""Do not use POISCenter as a substitute for, or to give, medical advice" Read the remaining part at http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=1.msg10259#msg10259

Going less Crazy

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 10:39:26 PM »
To update, I have started taking this quercetin/bromelain combination pill and it does seem to have some positive effects.  It is almost like a mini-caffeine like effect but you feel pretty good, definite runny nose/allergy reduction.  So far I am taking about 1 pill per day and seem to be doing well.  It does seem to have a positive affect on POIS but only time will tell.  I will update.  -GLC

vamerty

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2015, 03:14:49 PM »
To update, I have started taking this quercetin/bromelain combination pill and it does seem to have some positive effects.  It is almost like a mini-caffeine like effect but you feel pretty good, definite runny nose/allergy reduction.  So far I am taking about 1 pill per day and seem to be doing well.  It does seem to have a positive affect on POIS but only time will tell.  I will update.  -GLC http://www.igamiing.com

Glad to see some progress.

Going less Crazy

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2015, 06:53:22 PM »
After supplementing with quercetin and bromelain during a bad POIS episode (overdid it on the O's), it did not seem to effectively help POIS.  Although quercetin/bromelain does help during normal POIS living outside of an episode, it did not seem to alleviate much of a bad POIS episode.  I am most likely no longer going to supplement with quercetin/bromelain as it does have a bit of a stimulating effect and I will use it only as needed.

Then again, I did not take quercetin/bromelain before POIS, and we all know that is what you need to do to effectively not have POIS,  but I'd LOVE to find something that would get rid of POIS once in that dreaded state.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 05:49:04 AM by Going less Crazy »

FloppyBanana

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2015, 02:22:44 PM »
After supplementing with quercetin and bromelain during a bad POIS episode (overdid it on the O's), it did not seem to effectively help POIS.  Although quercetin/bromelain does help during normal POIS living outside of an episode, it did not seem to alleviate much of a bad POIS episode.  I am most likely no longer going to supplement with quercetin/bromelain as it does have a bit of a stimulating effect and I will use it only as needed.

Then again, I did not take quercetin/bromelain before POIS, and we all know that is what you need to do to effectively not have POIS,  but I'd LOVE to find something that would get rid of POIS once in that dreaded state.

Taking progesterone can reduce POIS when you suddenly find yourself in an episode. It only takes 30 mins to take effect. From my experience if you lie down for an hour after waiting 30 mins for it to take effect you can wake and feel back in a world which is not going at a crazy speed. This works for type of POIS.

I would be interested to know if you can do a similar thing with testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) when you suddenly find yourself in the POIS zone.

Demo?

Thanks - FloppyB
30 years of POIS. Mytelase after O with Iceman breathing technique.