Author Topic: Foods that affectively worsen POIS or cause POIS symptoms  (Read 14826 times)

Going less Crazy

Foods that affectively worsen POIS or cause POIS symptoms
« on: January 25, 2014, 12:45:08 AM »
*** Updated 11/6/15

I've started making my own list of certain foods that negatively affect my POIS or give me mild POIS symptoms.  I am a 23 year old male with pretty bad bacne.  Although the acne on my face has cleared up really good from diet and abstinence, I still remain with pretty bad acne on my back.  So this is the list of foods that either 1) cause "brain fog" or 2) cause POIS-like anxiety.  These are foods that affect me, so I am not sure if they affect anybody else.  There could also be errors, but here is the list so far.

-wheat
-beer
-garlic
-bananas (give me a brain fog feeling)
-vodka made from wheat (not sure about other kinds)
- vitamin water
- honey comb
- certain ice creams
- pasta, especially white pasta
- sodas
- pizza, especially "local" restaurants that I get a reaction from more so than say Domino's Pizza
- ocean spray cranberries

I would say the worst food that has affected me so far would have been the pizza.  Especially the pizza that is from small non-franchised restaurants.  I do not know if it is a reaction to the gluten in the pizza dough or what, but it causes the worst reaction in me, involving brain fog and "POIS anxiety".  No problems with the stomach, just reactions in my brain.  If anybody has bad reactions to the food on this list or would like to add more please do.  It is weird because I can eat certain things you would think would make POIS worse but do not, such as a snickers bar.  But please post back with additions or to clarify if certain things on/off this list also make POIS worse.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 04:07:26 PM by Going less Crazy »
My POIS managed with Diet (@ diet that 100% manages my pois)Believe my POIS stems from inflammation in the gut. O = neuro POIS from inflammation from the gut

supps: microdose zyrtec if needed for food sens. ibuprofen for infl. as needed. Melatonin as needed. Big Pinch Black cumin  seeds once daily

b_jim

Re: Foods that affectively worsen POIS or cause POIS symptoms
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 02:12:56 AM »
For me all "bad carbohydrates" like sugar eaten just before and just after orgasm give me hot flashes symtoms and then increase Pois cycle.(~3-4 days) .
If I eat "normal food" (meat and vegetables) my Pois symptoms are very reduced, no or few hot flashes and short cycle (~1 day).
Taurine = Anti-Pois
Lyme disease "cured" in 2020.

Prancer

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 05:15:15 PM »
Eating too much sugar during POIS can definitely make my cognitive symptoms a lot worse. I like eating more sugar to give me energy, but it always ends up giving me a cognitive crash. It's hard for me to say exactly what foods make my symptoms (cognitive mainly) worse, but I know for sure that some will. Not eating any foods for a while can actually improve my cognitive symptoms. (BTW, those foods on glc's list sound delicious. I'm getting hungry now! :P) Pizza is one of my all-time favorite foods, and I think the enjoyment from eating some outweighs any symptoms that I might experience later. I'm still not completely sure yet if pizza will worsen my symptoms.

Drinks with caffeine (teas, energy drinks) help me cognitively (sometimes even a little too much as they could keep me up later than usual at night). And I use them often to give me a quick mental and physical energy boost.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 01:24:58 AM by Prancer »

mentaldetective

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 03:01:23 PM »
This is a big deal for me concerning foods and POIS. First of all I may have a theory regarding your reaction to your local pizza shops. I too have the same reaction and what I have narrowed it down to is the amounts of Parmesan cheese they use. Apparently Parmesan is considered a free glutamate which is all in the same chemical structure as MSG. And I am sure you have heard of all the problems MSG causes. For future reference here are all the hidden names for MSG-

http://www.rense.com/general92/hidename.html

and here is a good article about what free glutamates can do-

http://www.advancedhealthplan.com/msgstudy.html

Here are the food that affect me bad-

Any Artificial Sugars (I actually do ok with real sugar as long as its only taken in a few times a week)
Most fast food chains like Taco Bell, KFC, McDonalds, Sonic (I do ok with Carl's Jr, JIB & Panda Express)
"Subway" destroys me for days
Pizza Hut & Dominoes, Local Pizza
Pita Chips
Gum (Any brand except for Glee)
Most Pre-Packaged Meals
Chinese Buffet Food
Food And Drinks Containing Caffeine (small amounts are usually fine)

As you can imagine, a lot of these contain foods additives, free glutamates, stimulants and artificial sugars. I've really had to fine tune what I have eaten over the years. Here are
the main foods I seem to do well with for the most part-

Brown & White Rice
Any Cooked & Most Raw Vegetables
Nuts & Seeds
Salads
Any Fruits
Any Grilled & Cooked Meats That Don't Have Any Additives
Oatmeal
Fresh Bakery Breads
Rich Ice Creams Like Haagen Daz & Ben & Jerries (I know that's a weird one)
Potatoes
Almond Milk
Some Cheeses In Moderation
Butter
Raw Honey In Moderation
Most Organic Foods Without Additives

Anyway I hope this may give you some answers.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 03:15:37 PM by mentaldetective »

youcefrouiba

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 04:36:19 PM »
food that make my pois worse :

EDIT :

Milk and dairy products "lactose"

all fruits,honey,raw sugar "fructose"

lentils

« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 01:50:38 PM by youcefrouiba »

sameer7777

• pls send what ever working pls thankyou
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 07:41:58 AM »
I've started making my own list of certain foods that negatively affect my POIS or give me mild POIS symptoms.  I am a 23 year old male with pretty bad bacne.  Although the acne on my face has cleared up really good from diet and abstinence, I still remain with pretty bad acne on my back.  So this is the list of foods that either 1) cause "brain fog" or 2) cause POIS-like anxiety.  These are foods that affect me, so I am not sure if they affect anybody else.  There could also be errors, but here is the list so far.

- vitamin water
- honey comb
- certain ice creams
- pasta, especially white pasta
- sodas
- pizza, especially "local" restaurants that I get a reaction from more so than say Domino's Pizza
- ocean spray cranberries

I would say the worst food that has affected me so far would have been the pizza.  Especially the pizza that is from small non-franchised restaurants.  I do not know if it is a reaction to the gluten in the pizza dough or what, but it causes the worst reaction in me, involving brain fog and "POIS anxiety".  No problems with the stomach, just reactions in my brain.  If anybody has bad reactions to the food on this list or would like to add more please do.  It is weird because I can eat certain things you would think would make POIS worse but do not, such as a snickers bar.  But please post back with additions or to clarify if certain things on/off this list also make POIS worse.

I ALSO THINK ITS GLUTEN , like buns bakery stuff is really bad for me ......so i think thats incl;udes pizza !!!!!!!
pls don't expose me.
AFTER SEX/MASTERBATION (FLU LIKE SYMPTOMS)
1)BACK NECK PAIN GOES TO DOWN SPINE
2)NERVES LIKE SQUEEZED OUT
3)MORNING FEET NERVES PAIN
4)NASAL INFLAMMATION
5)BRAIN FOG
6)DEPRESSION
7)HIGH SUGAR LEVELS (TRIED INSULIN FOR 1 YEAR MAKE ME MORE SICK

sameer7777

• pls send what ever working pls thankyou
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 07:46:36 AM »
sugar i sthe bad one , but what to have after orgasm , casue i feel hungry ......
pls don't expose me.
AFTER SEX/MASTERBATION (FLU LIKE SYMPTOMS)
1)BACK NECK PAIN GOES TO DOWN SPINE
2)NERVES LIKE SQUEEZED OUT
3)MORNING FEET NERVES PAIN
4)NASAL INFLAMMATION
5)BRAIN FOG
6)DEPRESSION
7)HIGH SUGAR LEVELS (TRIED INSULIN FOR 1 YEAR MAKE ME MORE SICK

Going less Crazy

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2015, 12:56:59 AM »
After posting multiple times on my cell phone only to have the message to be deleted I came on the computer and decided to make the long story short.  After extensive food elimination dieting and research I came to the conclusion that HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP is mainly the culprit in the foods that is causing my bad POIS-like response.  It is weird because I believed it was a gluten issue but some foods that contain wheat/gluten I can eat without any problems and others would cause me problems.  The main difference was that the others that caused me problems contained HFCS.  Although this might not be 100% accurate, I believe high fructose corn syrup to be the main cause.  Other ingredients could possibly be another factor.
My POIS managed with Diet (@ diet that 100% manages my pois)Believe my POIS stems from inflammation in the gut. O = neuro POIS from inflammation from the gut

supps: microdose zyrtec if needed for food sens. ibuprofen for infl. as needed. Melatonin as needed. Big Pinch Black cumin  seeds once daily

Twp06242014

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2015, 01:06:23 PM »
After posting multiple times on my cell phone only to have the message to be deleted I came on the computer and decided to make the long story short.  After extensive food elimination dieting and research I came to the conclusion that HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP is mainly the culprit in the foods that is causing my bad POIS-like response.  It is weird because I believed it was a gluten issue but some foods that contain wheat/gluten I can eat without any problems and others would cause me problems.  The main difference was that the others that caused me problems contained HFCS.  Although this might not be 100% accurate, I believe high fructose corn syrup to be the main cause.  Other ingredients could possibly be another factor.

High fructose corn syrup is just sugar made from corn.  The only difference is that some studies have revealed that it may convert to fat in the body even easier than sugar does.  So for overweight people it's probably best to avoid it.  Otherwise for the rest of us it is basically equivalent to sugar.

So if you are having POIS in response sugar then you might want to look into that.  I know for example that the brain tries to make serotonin of sugar. Also sugar affects things like energy and other stuff

Quantum

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2015, 09:23:23 PM »
High fructose corn syrup is just sugar made from corn.  The only difference is that some studies have revealed that it may convert to fat in the body even easier than sugar does.  So for overweight people it's probably best to avoid it.  Otherwise for the rest of us it is basically equivalent to sugar.

Hi, Twp, and everybody,

High fructose corn syrup (HFCS) has other consequences than just weight gain, and is not natural corn sugar, but transformed corn sugar.  Natural corn syrup is 100% glucose.  HFCS is produced by enzymatic processing of corn syrup to transform part of its glucose in fructose, in order to produce a cheaper alternative to sucrose ( from beet and cane sugar).  For example, when you convert 42% of the corn syrup glucose in fructose, you get HFCS 42, which has the same sweetness than sucrose.  In sodas, HFCS 55 is used, which means that it is even sweeter than natural sucrose.  For more details about HFCS, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_fructose_corn_syrup .

The high content of fructose in HFCS is a game changer.  The human digestive system has been used for thousands of years to only low fructose intake at a time, from fruits, mainly, and occasionally from other sources like honey. The industrial revolution was too fast, at the evolutionary level, for human digestive system to adapt to that much of fructose at once.  So, many individuals will suffer from symptoms of fructose malabsorption ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fructose_malabsorption ).  The absorption capacity of fructose by the small intestine is overwhelmed, and much fructose makes its way to the colon, and the flora will digest it, by fermentation, and cause bloating, abdominal pain, overproduction of mucus, methane production, etc... Moreover, quoting the wikipedia article, " Some effects of fructose malabsorption are decreased tryptophan,[4] folic acid[5] and zinc in the blood.[5] ".   The tryptophan decreased absorption, in particular, is very detrimental for anyone suffering from POIS, because that means less tryptophan reaching the brain.   The decreased tryptophan level in the blood caused by fructose malbsoption is  a known scientific fact - see, for example, this article: http://www.researchgate.net/publication/12000987_Fructose_malabsorption_is_associated_with_decreased_plasma_tryptophan .  Why is tryptophan so important?  The brain needs tryptophan to produce both serotonin and niacin. Then, less tryptophan means more emotional and more cognitive symptoms in POIS , and more fatigue as well ( for a more detailed explanation, see my recent post on this topic here: http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=1988.msg15559#msg15559 ) .

So, a good recipe for a hellish POIS cycle would be to take, at least 2 hours before O, a lot of sodas and junk sweets ( as HFCS sources), along with aspartame and MSG, and also some BCAA supplement as well if you are really masochist.  Add some lactose or gluten, if your digestive tract is irritated by them, or anything else that will help produce pro-inflammatory cytokines in the guts - this will increase the madness of your POIS. And, of course, avoid anything beneficial, including niacin, tryptophan sources, 5-HTP, curcumin, or any antioxidant.  Be sure to be stressed and worried, so your cortisol is high and turns your TDO liver enzyme in overactive mode, depleting your Trp still more. Anybody want to try this recipe for the worst POIS ever ?   O_o    Sincerely, I hope not ! ! !

A healthy diet is obviously leading to.....  a better health :)

You are 100% responsible for what you do with anything I post on this forum and of any consequence it could have for you.  Forum rule: ""Do not use POISCenter as a substitute for, or to give, medical advice" Read the remaining part at http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=1.msg10259#msg10259

G-man

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2015, 01:11:06 AM »
I would recommend getting a blood test done for IgG food sensitivities. I am guessing that each of us react differently to different foods; some members of this forum react to foods that I have no reactions with, and I react to foods that other members claim to have no reaction.

demografx

• Administrator
  • All of us working together to defeat POIS!
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2015, 01:23:15 AM »
High fructose makes me feel better...for 10 minutes????
10 years of significant POIS-reduction, treatment consisting of daily (365 days/year) testosterone patches.

TRT must be checked out carefully with your doctor due to fertility, cardiac and other risks.

40+ years of severe 4-days-POIS, married, raised a family, started/ran a business

Quantum

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2015, 08:11:39 AM »
High fructose makes me feel better...for 10 minutes????

Hi Demo,

If you take a good bunch of HFCS, do you feel a dive, 20 minutes or so after your sugar high, before returning to "baseline" energy ?  That happens for many people.

You are 100% responsible for what you do with anything I post on this forum and of any consequence it could have for you.  Forum rule: ""Do not use POISCenter as a substitute for, or to give, medical advice" Read the remaining part at http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=1.msg10259#msg10259

demografx

• Administrator
  • All of us working together to defeat POIS!
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2015, 10:14:46 PM »

Thank you, Quantum!

Yes, that describes me.
10 years of significant POIS-reduction, treatment consisting of daily (365 days/year) testosterone patches.

TRT must be checked out carefully with your doctor due to fertility, cardiac and other risks.

40+ years of severe 4-days-POIS, married, raised a family, started/ran a business

Prancer

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2015, 03:25:53 AM »
...I came on the computer...

Ugh! I hate it when that happens! J/K.

But yeah, about the HFCS, (and anything sweet really) I'd say that in the short term I feel better, especially when it comes to mood, but then I can feel the dive like Quantum was describing. I will say though that consuming a caffeinated drink (with or without sugar) is something that I do on most days since it give me the energy & bit of focus I need.

Quantum

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2015, 05:52:11 PM »
But yeah, about the HFCS, (and anything sweet really) I'd say that in the short term I feel better, especially when it comes to mood, but then I can feel the dive like Quantum was describing. I will say though that consuming a caffeinated drink (with or without sugar) is something that I do on most days since it give me the energy & bit of focus I need.

Hi Prancer,

You're right about the temporary mood improvement after sugar.  Anxiety, mood swings, irritability, depressed mood, are all improved - for an hour or so - following sugar consumption.  It is well known, as well as the reason behind this phenomenon.  What happens is that our mood is linked to serotonin level in the brain.  Brain needs a tryptophan input in order to be able to make serotonin from it.  But tryptophan do not cross the blood-brain barrier easily.  It has to take a specific "ferry" , a transporter protein.  But tryptophan is one of the rarest amino acid, and it has to compete with other, more abundant amino acids, such as valine, leucine and isoleucine (those 3 are called BCAA )and with tyrosine, another amino acid,  in order to take the "ferry"  (which "ferry" iis called LAT1 or CD98 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD98 ).

When we take sugar, insulin is produced.  When insulin is produced, cells will take more BCAA and tyrosine from the blood, but not more tryptophan.  The net result:  there will be relatively more tryptophan taking the "ferry" to the brain, because the other amino acids that usually crowd the "ferry line up" are far less present.  More tryptophan in the brain means more serotonin produced in the brain, which means better mood.... serotonin is the sunny day neurotransmitter :)

For those who wants a more detailed explanation,  I suggest reading this well-written article, titled "Sunlight, Sugar and Serotonin": http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/evolutionary-psychiatry/201105/sunlight-sugar-and-serotonin

By the way, I think this would explains parts of the good effect of fenugreek in POIS: fenugreek stimulates insulin release by the pancreas cells (which is a known fact ), which will ultimately leads to more tryptophan in the brain.

In last November, when I have found this forum, I came up with a recipe of my own. Pumpkin seeds ( they are rich in tryptophan ), with some maple syrup as a sugar (remember, I am a French Canadian...hehe....but corn syrup can do the job as glucose source), and  some curcumin with black pepper will ensure that tryptophan won't be metabolized before laking it to the brain ( the curcuma and pepper can be taken in capsule supplement, or on a cracker, come Philadelphia cheese, and the spices over it).  If fenugreek is taken after the snack, effect will be better still.  this anti-POIS snack works better as a prevention, because it builds up the tryptophan assetsin the body and brain, than as a cure for an acute POIS phase.  It do helps in lowering symptoms when they are already present.  But POIS is definitively easier to block before the inflammatory reaction and its auto-immune cascade starts than once it has begun (that's my opinion, anyway).
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 10:04:37 PM by Quantum »

Going less Crazy

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2015, 02:10:56 AM »
My reaction to HFCS does not have anything to do with an energy high or energy low, rather a terrible feeling in my head.  I get headaches, and feel like something "good" has been taken out of my head and replaced with a void-like feeling.  It honestly makes me feel like I don't even want to move and want to lay down in the hopes that this feeling could go away.  It's like something is missing, like all the serotonin or whatever is taken out of my head and placed with something else like inflammation.  I can feel my brain fighting back.  Every time I yawn, it feels like it is trying to replace whatever chemical is lacking or something. It feels like I have some sort of chronic neuro-inflammation.  I really wish I got to the bottom of this to see what is really causing me these reactions.

* I can eat Reese's, Starburst (corn syrup), many other candies that do not contain HFCS without any problem

But I will update if I come across anything else that could be causing this problem
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 02:13:33 AM by Going less Crazy »

Quantum

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2015, 10:24:56 AM »
My reaction to HFCS does not have anything to do with an energy high or energy low, rather a terrible feeling in my head.  I get headaches, and feel like something "good" has been taken out of my head and replaced with a void-like feeling.  It honestly makes me feel like I don't even want to move and want to lay down in the hopes that this feeling could go away.  It's like something is missing, like all the serotonin or whatever is taken out of my head and placed with something else like inflammation.  I can feel my brain fighting back.  Every time I yawn, it feels like it is trying to replace whatever chemical is lacking or something. It feels like I have some sort of chronic neuro-inflammation.  I really wish I got to the bottom of this to see what is really causing me these reactions.

* I can eat Reese's, Starburst (corn syrup), many other candies that do not contain HFCS without any problem

But I will update if I come across anything else that could be causing this problem

Hi GLC,

If you tolerate well corn syrup which is glucose only (no fructose), it seems a bit like you are allergic, somehow, to fructose.  If would worth it to try eliminate all fructose sources and see what happens.  This would require some label reading though, because fructose comes hidden under many other names and in other ingredients:

High-fructose corn syrup (HFCS, as you already know)
    Honey
    Agave syrup
    Invert sugar
    Maple-flavored syrup
    Molasses
    Palm or coconut sugar
    Sorghum

"Sugar", or sucrose, contains fructose too, because a sucrose molecule is composed of one glucose molecule plus one fructose molecule.  So table sugar is half fructose, and sugar in candies too.  Our body, when digesting sucrose, will break it into its glucose and fructose half.  This break up needed to free the fructose lowers its impact in our body, as it slowly accumulate in the guts.

HFSC is more detrimental, because the fructose in it is already free - no digestion needed.  Fructose floods the digestive tract at once when ingesting HFCS.

You describe a headache, and what you feel as inflammation of the brain.  It could be exactly what you describe:  a kind of inflammatory encephalopathy.  Many kinds of encephalopathy are known ( see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Encephalopathy ). A type of encephalopathy secondary to fructose intake is not really well documented, and is kind of "curtained" by all to references to fructose absorption and fructose intolerance.  You could check with your doctor. Chances are that avoiding any fructose will be the first thing to try.

This inflammatory reaction you seems to have when you ingest fructose is surely starting a cascade of production of different imune messengers. I think some of these upregulate the enzymes that metabolize serotonin, namely the IDO and TDO enzymes, and this would be the fact that the "missing chemical" you feel in your brain would be indeed serotonin. Anyway, as I already suggested elsewhere on this forum ( at http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=1988.msg15559#msg15559 ),  I do believe that the inflammatory reaction occurring after O. at the core of POIS, is causing an encephalopathy, by depleting tryptophan, serotonin and niacin in the body and brain, and overproducing toxic residues, namely quinolinic acid and kynurenic acid.  Yes, yes, I know, yet another theory about POIS.  But so far, it helps me explain my symptoms, and symptoms I read about on the forum, that are different from mine.  For example, I see that if the inflammatory reaction producing pro-inflammatory messengers comes from O or from ingesting a substance one is allergic to, the results will be the same:  the pro-inflammatory cytokines will upregulate IDO and TDO, and leads to symptoms of encephalopathy.

You may have already eliminate fructose form your diet.  Is it the case?  In any case, I wish you the best possible health!

Prancer

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2015, 02:43:07 PM »
Yes, definitely much easier to prevent the onset of symptoms than to get out of it.

Outsider

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2015, 01:15:37 PM »

iI just come to find a link between my pois and amylum
bread, potatoes, multi cereal make me sick
i tried powder of glucose, i was completly exausted

i though it was from gluten intolerance but i was wrong
it s from glucose content in amylum

no problem with sucrose and fructrose
sucrose who contains glucose and fructose no symptoms
 but glucose alone my pois is there

and always the same nothing in my blood tests ..
36 years old, very strong physical symptoms past my 33 years,
symp psycho, neuro and physical