Author Topic: Things we would like to be able to tell Dr. Komisaruk  (Read 67487 times)

Ccconfucius

Re: Things we would like to be able to tell Dr. Komisaruk
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2014, 05:16:04 PM »
I believe there should be a third group to consider when doing testing.  The group will contain those of us that never fully recover cognitively even if we abstain for periods more longer than a week.   Hopefully this group even after abstaining for a long time share similar fmri patters with poisers who just ejaculated.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 05:20:39 PM by CertainlyPOIS »

demografx

• Administrator
  • All of us working together to defeat POIS!
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2014, 08:23:10 PM »
I believe there should be a third group to consider when doing testing.  The group will contain those of us that never fully recover cognitively even if we abstain for periods more longer than a week.   Hopefully this group even after abstaining for a long time share similar fmri patters with poisers who just ejaculated.

Excellent point, CertainlyPOIS!
10 years of significant POIS-reduction, treatment consisting of daily (365 days/year) testosterone patches.

TRT must be checked out carefully with your doctor due to fertility, cardiac and other risks.

40+ years of severe 4-days-POIS, married, raised a family, started/ran a business

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2014, 11:50:34 PM »
This is great news - I'm about a 30 minute commute to Newark and Rutgers University is my alumn.   I'm a lurker on this site but have been following everything closely for the past year or so.  Will do my best to get involved in this research.   I'm smiling ear to ear right now knowing that this community has made a giant step in the right direction.   

We're smiling right along with you!  :)
10 years of significant POIS-reduction, treatment consisting of daily (365 days/year) testosterone patches.

TRT must be checked out carefully with your doctor due to fertility, cardiac and other risks.

40+ years of severe 4-days-POIS, married, raised a family, started/ran a business

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2014, 11:58:15 PM »
I would like to be sure that we catch POIS types who respond to deferent treatments in the fMRI test. The mains ones in my view are people who have a positive effect taking; Niacin, Testosterone, Progesterone, and persons who have been desensitised to semen.

I think your questions are on point FB. I'm especially interested in whether any comparative analyses will be conducted between those who have undergone desensitization and those who have not. Such analyses might been seen as muddling already complicated data but could provide some insight into the promise (or lack thereof) of treatments that POISers have begun to undertake.

[Edit:] Although i'm located in California, I'd also be happy to volunteer depending on the cost and time commitment necessary.

Good point, Egordon.

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2014, 10:09:31 PM »
mellivora, excellent points you raise, but keep in mind that both Dr. Komisaruk and Dr. Lakshmin both invited direct email inquiries from our Forum Members!

(See Rutgers Research Announcement
http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=1225.msg11331#msg11331

« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 10:26:24 PM by demografx »

Prancer

« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2014, 07:18:21 PM »

Excellent point, CertainlyPOIS!

Yes, that's a really good point CertainlyPOIS!

Defsync

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2014, 08:20:52 PM »
POIS for me has caused memory and cognitive dysfunction. Best way to describe it is this:

say a problem is before me. normally i would take into account everything i know about the problem to solve it. Under POIS, my ability at memory recall and remembrance is severely affected, to where I might only remember half of what i should know to solve the problem. And also believe that that half is ALL I know (no acknowledgement of missing memory).

another example ive had would be driving. I see the light is red. I know that it means something specific, but I do not remember that it means stop. So, in an open intersection I would drive right through not realizing until someone started honking that red means stop.

i might study for an exam for weeks, have a nocturnal emission the night before, then fail the exam the next day unable to recall the majority of the memorization over the last couple weeks. this would from the beginning of puberty around 11 until 18 when I graduated from high school.

I may have worked at a job for years, know procedures to follow like the "back of my hand", yet post orgasm the following days, POIS has caused me to forget procedures that I have done EVERY DAY since starting that job. And have fun trying to explain to a manager why you forgot procedures you know you know and have never failed to follow EXCEPT when under POIS symptoms.

in the marine corps infantry I might train for a live fire exercise for a couple days. have a nocturnal emission the night before the live fire exercise. during said exercise I am to control half a squad of marines using hand signals and judging visual distance to ensure no marine is too far ahead or behind (to avoid friendly fire). instead i forget hand signals and my ability to judge distance is greatly skewed, putting marines in the line of fire.

cognitive reasoning seems to be affected, for the main reason that memory recall is greatly stunted, IN ADDITION to the ability to REALIZE that memory is missing. This leads one to respond to situations or communication irrationally because in one's mind "i think i know everything there is to know about what im responding too" when in reality under POIS "im missing many pieces of the information that I know but am unable to recall and unable to remember that  I am missing"

I believe it might be of interest in looking at the histamine that is released from the mast cells during orgasm. Note below in this dissertation the affect of Niacin on histamine, Niacin being one of "helpful" therapies to POISers. The hippocamus has histamine receptors. I wonder if the histamine released during orgasm can affect teh hippocampus ability to modulate memory functions.

So to this I would suggest, during fMRIs, that if possible some focus be concentrated on the hippocampal region of the brain.

"Research has shown that histamine is released as part of the human orgasm from mast cells in the genitals. If this response is lacking this may be a sign of histapenia ( histamine deficiency). In such cases, a doctor may prescribe diet supplements with folic acid and niacin (which used in conjunction can increase blood histamine levels and histamine release), or L-histimine."

I can see looking at the Vagus nerve since it would explain more the additional physical symptoms of POIS. I personally have had no physical symptoms, except perhaps a greater sensitivity to pain, tho I think that might be from the depletion of dopamine during orgasm.

I notice the longer I go without an O the harder it becomes to sleep, to the point of near insomnia for a day. Maybe in POISers we have brains that cannot modulate dopmine and pre-O our brains get too much dopamine because the brain has a hard time regulating it down, and post Orgasm levels stay low for too long because the brain has a hard time regulating it up.

Another theory is the release of excessive glutamate during Orgasm, and a brain unable to regulate that chemical down properly. 3 glutamate receptors have been shown to affect memory transmission and retention. A drug that does seem to significantly affect the memory dysfunction is Lyrica (pregabalin). This drug decreases the release of glutamate as one of its functions. Perhaps in a POISed brain this helps regulate down the glutamate that may be there in too great an amount, helping to relieve some of the memory dysfunction.

Having tried a gambit of drugs  in order to look for a solution, the only one that seemed to actually increase memory function, although not 100%, post Orgasm is Lyrica (pregabalin). I would think stimulant drugs would have worked, if the vagus nerve is the cuplrit, by blocking the para-synaptic feedback of the vagus nerve that would be causing POIS memory symptoms. But I can tell you there is no stimulant drug that has ever worked for me to ANY effect to relieve the memory dysfunction. Again, Lyrica is the only thing that I have ever seen have an affect on that particular POIS symptom: memory and cognitive dysfunction. I will also state that taking a multivitmain, like one of the "completes" that includes minerals, has a MINOR but SIGNIFICANTLY NOTICEABLE iaffect n relieving a smidgeon of the memory dysfunction. Which vitamins or minerals are the reason, I do not know. I just know that doubling up on a complete multivitamin during POIS does help.

In short: I believe it may be worth looking at the levels of histamine and glutamate released during orgasm, and the ability of a POISers brain to regulate those chemicals back to normal levels, in case the hippocampus and associated memory structures are affected by high levels of these bio chemicals. I also believe that it may be worth looking at the hippocampus during fMRI studies (fMRI during orgasm, at 3 hours, 6 hours, 12 hours, and every other 12 hours for 5 days) to see if the hippocampus functioning is affected during POIS.

One major point I would like to note: Men seem to be more affected with POIS than women. Note, men are prone to nocturnal emissisions (unscheduled orgasms) on a regular basis, where women are not. Also, POIS may not be an all or nothing illness, it may be a % of the brain inability to regulate post Orgasm. To this I say that there may be more people out there with some level of POIS but at lower levels. Some of us even after years of POIS had no idea what POIS was doing to us, so for someone who may have much lesser symptoms, they certainly may not even realize they are being affected so. I also propose that considering the vast majority of homeless in america are men, I wonder if a percentage of these homeless men have struggled because they have POIS (unrealizing their unscheduled nocturnal emissions are causing them cognitive dysfunction).

Make no mistake, a job that requires a fast response time and huge amounts of memorization can be gravely affected by the memory dysfunction from POIS. It is severe enough to take the lead from several mental disorders that citizens of the united states currently get disability SSI from. To me that merits that this condition should absolutely be looked into far more than it is.

Over human evolution as we have continued to increase our leisure time a hundred fold from the days oh hunter and gathering, more time for "liesure sex" over the time of this evolution may have resulted in a condition like this coming about because we were never built to have this much sex, but as centuries have gone maybe POIS is the brains reaction to this societal procreation, saying "too much, too much!". Certainly a human being affected with POIS does not try to have MORE sex, but of course tries to have LESS.

Well thanks again doctors for taking the time to organize this and move forward. It would be great to have an answer for that 12 year old little boy who suddenly finds his brain not working properly after an orgasm, to tell him that we know what the problem is and have a solution for him so that he can continue to have a normal life, a normal relationship, and never have to live in fear each night he goes to sleep, afraid that he will wake up a lesser human being.

~Defsync
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 08:32:21 PM by Defsync »

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2014, 09:40:21 PM »
Thank you, Defsync, for such a revealing description of POIS...and you express our sincerest desires with your heartwarming encounter that gives GREAT HOPE to that unfortunate 12-year old POISer!!

Prancer

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2014, 05:27:46 PM »
Totally agree. That was a very good post by Defsync. I can so relate to the memory issues he was writing about. A lot of the brain fog I experience I think is caused by severe short term memory issues. For example, I can read a paragraph and not remember one word about it. After an orgasm, I would have to re-read it several times before absorbing any of the information. At the same time I would be experiencing fatigue, frustration, apathy and a strange scalp sensation.

Also, it's interesting, and I've wondered too if POIS is a "modern illness" like Defsync mentioned. After all, if it existed or were as common in the past, surely a disease as bad as this would've been talked about a lot more and we would know a lot more about it like we do for other illnesses. Just an interesting thought I've wondered about too.

Defsync

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2014, 09:12:42 PM »
additional notes:

baseline fMRI might want to be taken before any Volunteer has their first orgasm. should also set how long before first baseline fMRI a volunteer has had previous orgasm. something like "2 weeks clean" to make sure baseline fMRI is showing a completely non-POISed brain

volunteers will have to be honest and careful in how long they've gone without an NE. if a volunteer has an NE by accident say the day before, they will need to be 100% honest with the research group or the data could be irrevocably skewered.

also, some questions that may need to be answered: about how long will volunteers need to be around to complete the research? will Rutgers provide empty dorm rooms? will we need to get a hotel and room up together (altho a room full of POISed guys could be insanely depressing although in a sick twist of science you'd wonder what the atmosphere would be like LOL). On top of additional traveling costs, it would help volunteers to get a general estimate of how much money they will personally need in order to volunteer, keeping in mind not only the time there but the lost wages taking off from work.

also, will there be a therapist associated with the group that can help any Volunteer who finds themselves unable to cope emotionally/mentally during or after the research? Say youve had POIS your whole life. You go and volunteer for this research. They find absolutely nothing from your brain scans to warrant any kind of aberration. Personally im not gonna give two shiz about it, but I would hate for someone to go into that research, see others who show results in the research, while they do not, and then have NO therapeutic resource in case they have a breakdown.

might also be useful to have a pre-workup of family history of illnesses done up ahead of time.

in additional what medications will volunteers be allowed to continue taking, or what medications have to be stopped in order for the research to move forward on said volunteer. i imagine ADD, ADHD, and anti-depressants might NOT be allowed?

that is all for now. oh wait cant leave without this one....

you find a beautiful girl, dancer (ballroom, dont get excited), plays half dozen instruments, draws, paints, sings, did i mention really pretty? smokin hot really... college student going to school for digital photography..... you get pre-engaged. she knows about the pois. has been... mostly supportive about not getting all nuts with the 'sex.

then one day you and her realize, that indeed she DOES need the sex as much as a normal girl that age would want, and that since you cant cause youd be POISed to death,
have to call off the entire relationship. total suckage. but life goes on, and fortunately you learn to live with the fact you may end up one day being a crazy old cat dude, livin in a house with nothing but animals.

Prancer

« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2014, 04:17:50 AM »
haha Defsync!

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2014, 10:48:52 AM »
Defsync is happy because his bags are finally packed for flight to Newark.

Now...can someone give him a ride to the airport???  ;D

« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 10:51:41 AM by demografx »

b_jim

« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2014, 03:21:54 AM »
Things we would like to be able to tell Dr. Komisaruk and Lakshmin

Hi doctors  Komisaruk and Lakshmin

Thank you very much for your work. The first thing is I respect your method and your point of view to analyze Pois mechanism. I really hope MRIs will give a clear solution and a clear explanation.

Anyway, as a veteran member, I took a lot of time to search and to think about Pois. A lot of us basically think Pois has something to do with elements like Testosterone, dopamine and maybe histamines. We have the feeling of a temporary disturbance going back to the normal after some days.

I have to say I was really enthusiastic when I found on the internet the Dopamine-responsive dystonia because my feeling was you putted the finger on the truth.
My question is easy :
Can the MRI technology show the fluctutation of dopamine in brain before and after orgasm ?
My second question, suggested by some sufferers is close : can Rutgers' fMRI's detect "autoimmune" reaction, which is a serious hypothesis to explain Pois for some people ?

Thank you very much.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 01:29:03 PM by b_jim »
Taurine = Anti-Pois
Lyme disease "cured" in 2020.

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2014, 08:26:39 PM »
Thanks for asking, b_jim!

I think your questions reflect many of our thoughts at POISCenter!

gondal4

« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2014, 03:59:52 AM »
My syptoms began when i was 18,these were same like others ,mental issues,extreme fatigue,joint ain etcwheich go away in 2 days. after i was 21 i had jaundice for three months .After taht my symptoms changed and it became severely weak abdomen after O ,weakness Not depression like before.Additionally i have werner syndrome not confirmed 100% but almost same symptoms.
Hope doctors are reading that and iam  not too late

Vandemolen

« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2014, 11:10:53 AM »
My doctor who does the desens said that fMRI is a good way to start. He said that there was this patient who has perfume allergy. Some people say this not an allergy, but something psychological, something not real. So two patients went to sleep in the lab with fMRI. One of them has perfume allergy and the other doesn't have perfume allergy. While asleep they brought in perfume. The brains of the patient with perfume allergy directly responded. So this is their proof that perfume allergy is an actual disease.
But my doctor said that after fMRI there is other research needed. So we have to be patient.

Maybe it's an idea for dr. Komisaruk to do fMRI with a POIS patient who is sleeping.
POIS since 2000. Very bad since 2008. I knew that I have POIS since June 2010. Desensitization since March 2011. I stopped with desens in July 2016. I have 50% less POIS. And only 1 day of POIS. Purified CBD works for me, but I am allergic for CBD.

FloppyBanana

« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2014, 11:48:30 AM »
Hi Vandemolen,

I'm not sure what the point of doing an fMRFI while sleeping would be when the trigger is orgasm.
How's the desensitisation going? I see the last update on your footer is April 2013.
FloppyB
30 years of POIS. Mytelase after O with Iceman breathing technique.

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2014, 01:04:11 PM »
Things we would like to be able to tell Dr. Komisaruk and Lakshmin

Hi doctors  Komisaruk and Lakshmin

Thank you very much for your work. The first thing is I respect your method and your point of view to analyze Pois mechanism. I really hope MRIs will give a clear solution and a clear explanation.

Anyway, as a veteran member, I took a lot of time to search and to think about Pois. A lot of us basically think Pois has something to do with elements like Testosterone, dopamine and maybe histamines. We have the feeling of a temporary disturbance going back to the normal after some days.

I have to say I was really enthusiastic when I found on the internet the Dopamine-responsive dystonia because my feeling was you putted the finger on the truth.
My question is easy :
Can the MRI technology show the fluctutation of dopamine in brain before and after orgasm ?
My second question, suggested by some sufferers is close : can Rutgers' fMRI's detect "autoimmune" reaction, which is a serious hypothesis to explain Pois for some people ?

Thank you very much.

Begin forwarded message:

Date: February 8, 2014, 9:22:29 AM PST
To: Demo
Cc: plakshmin@gmail.com
Subject: Re: Forum interaction
Reply-To: brk@psychology.rutgers.edu

Dear Demo,

Actually, I prefer receiving direct emails to this address [email above], so people
don't have to wait until I check the forum.  I don't know Pooja's
preference yet.

Barry

Barry R. Komisaruk, Ph.D.
Distinguished Professor, Dept. Psychology
Adjunct Professor, Dept. Radiology
Board of Governors Distinguished Service Professor
Rutgers University
Smith Hall 327A
101 Warren Street
Newark, NJ 07102

phone (office): 973 353 3941
phone (mobile): 973 462 0178

On Sat, February 8, 2014 12:10 pm, Demo wrote:

Dear Dr. Komisaruk and Dr Lakshmin,

Is posting questions like this [above is b_jim's example] at our forum a good way to
communicate questions from Forum members?

Many thanks,
Demo

TO ALL FORUM MEMBERS: Don't forget to share any response/reply from Rutgers that could help your fellow POIS sufferers!

« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 03:56:46 PM by demografx »

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2014, 10:05:33 AM »
FROM DR LAKSHMIN

On Feb 9, 2014, at 5:58 AM, Pooja Lakshmin <plakshmin@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Demo,

I also prefer direct emails - to my Rutgers email address which I
listed on the site.[Dr Lakshmin's Email address is shown directly above].

Thank you!

Pooja

--
Pooja Lakshmin, MD

On Sat, February 8, 2014 12:10 pm, Demo wrote:

Dear Dr. Komisaruk and Dr Lakshmin,

Is posting questions like this [see b_jim's post directly above in Dr Komisaruk's preference post]
a good way to communicate questions from Forum members?

Many thanks,
Demo

« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 03:59:29 PM by demografx »

demografx

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2014, 10:06:28 AM »

My doctor who does the desens said that fMRI is a good way to start.

But my doctor said that after fMRI there is other research needed.

I agree, Van.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 06:25:21 PM by demografx »