Author Topic: Does nootropics works for POIS?  (Read 10444 times)

emi_b

• Lab1
Does nootropics works for POIS?
« on: May 22, 2011, 01:01:15 PM »
Does nootropics work for POIS?

I've took a pill of Piracetam today, and it seems that after a hour or two I feel more confident on my mind, focusing attention, maybe I should take more. I feel that my mind is recovering a little.
I want to say that in three years of POIS I almost forgot how is to think, react, behave (normaly) in all situations.

What experiences do you have with nootropic drugs?
I saw there have been discusions on NSF about these drugs.

I have cognitive, psychological and physical symptoms.
I am apologizing for my English if it is unclear.

Ccconfucius

Re: Does nootropics works for POIS?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 03:12:20 PM »
go check out the brain fog section it has list of nootropics people have done,
i have tried priacetam and oxiracetam without results.
right now i am trying piracetam with centrophenoxine to see if combination will help.

Habibou

• Lab1
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 05:05:54 PM »
I will ask my doctor about it  :) i have a low dopamine level due to POIS symptoms, so it can't be bad to try !
Brain fog 90%  + tired all the time ,sport intolerance, fast heartbeat, colon inflammation

Ccconfucius

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 01:55:18 PM »

I've took a pill of Piracetam today, and it seems that after a hour or two I feel more confident on my mind, focusing attention, maybe I should take more. I feel that my mind is recovering a little.
I want to say that in three years of POIS I almost forgot how is to think, react, behave (normaly) in all situations.

how much piracetam do you use, may be i havent found the best dosage.

emi_b

• Lab1
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 02:38:36 PM »

how much piracetam do you use, may be i havent found the best dosage.

I've taken 2 pills yesterday, and one today, ... but the effect was very small and appeared only after first pill. It consisted only of: slight better concentration, and thinking. No really big improvement. This is the second day but now I don't feel almost anything. It could have been a placebo effect. It didn't improved my overall health, only that small improvement for a short time.

JRD

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 07:18:02 AM »
I would say stay away from all the psychotropic agents, including the whole range psychiatric drugs, illegal drugs, legal drugs like alcohol + various other medications like antibiotics, which can lead to impact on the brain functions.

In the short-term period, they might be useful (i.e. recreational use of benzodiazepines, hypnotics, alcohol etc.), but within the long-term use, there may be plenty of undesirable effects on CNS and other systems - none of them can be considered positive. There isn't anything like side-effects, only "the effects", which vary and only a few of them are selected for medical purposes/drug brochures due to their specific pattern in specific medical areas.

These are called "primary effects" - for epilepsy, the primary effect of anticonvulsants is in their potential to suppress epileptic seizures, for bipolar affective disorder, their effect is in mood stabilizing.

Nobody doesn't exactly know, how most of these drugs work (especially antidepressants), what are their long-term impacts, whether they are temporary or permanent. Seriously, no long-term study has been conducted yet. The users of these drugs perform as lab rats.

Daveman

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 09:07:09 AM »
I tend to agree with you JRD, not that I'm a prude or anything. I was a hippie in my day, so did my share of substances!

But, whether it's for the right reasons or not, I've tried to reduce, and even stop for a time, the use of NSAIDs. Having done so I realized that, although the NSAIDs gave me temprary relief for joint and muscular pains, in the long run, they were complicating my POIS even more. Once I got past the pains that the NSAIDs usually reduced, I began to return to a real POIS. I felt this real POIS, and it was strangly less complicated. Feeling it, I could move withit better. I controlled it more with diet, rest and natural means. The NSAIDs covered too much up, it makes you react to a false POIS, and that reaction indices other problems which casues yout try other things, etc. etc.

Now winter is coming on, and weather systems complicate my POIS, I admit I have resorted to very isolated NSAID use, but nothing like before.

WITHOUT RESEARCH THERE WILL BE NO CURE!
Sessions 5 to 9 days, mostly Flu-like, joints, digestion problems, light cognitive.
Niacin has changed my lif though, now 1 day MAX.
Somewhere in this interaction with Niacin is the answer!

JRD

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 10:28:06 AM »
Yes, these drugs don't treat chemical imbalances, they cause them. Sometimes, it is more desirable to suppress your own chemical imbalances (due to disease, various deficiences, psychological factors) by causing other biochemical changes, but it is important to know, that most of those drugs don't improve your condition in its essential way, instead they cause deterioration in a way, which is seen as improvement - i.e. the use of antidepressants causes you not to worry (simply said), which might be found as a huge step forward, an overall improvement etc., which is not. You are dulled/numbed owing to their neurochemical interactions (brain-disabling anesthetic effect).

emi_b

• Lab1
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 11:34:18 AM »
Nobody doesn't exactly know, how most of these drugs work (especially antidepressants), what are their long-term impacts, whether they are temporary or permanent. Seriously, no long-term study has been conducted yet. The users of these drugs perform as lab rats.

I've read an article about carbamazepine, an anticonvulstant, that it cause a lot of poorly understood effects, such as cell aptosis, a slowement of brain waves on EEG.

JRD

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 12:16:14 PM »
Yeah, and atypical antipsychotic drugs boost brain shrinkage in schizoprenic pacients, can stand behind the develop of extrapyramidal symptoms (which may be permanent), newer types of antidepressants - due to their mechanism - causing prominent changes in metabolism of neurotransmitters, eliminating density of the serotonin receptors - it is neverending list of various impacts, effects, call it whatever you want. It would be OK if it weren't for the progressive, subtle or more evident changes in your personality/cognition/health, these drugs induce.

Then, you end up with some sort of new, possibly severe symptoms, which serve as an evidence you need more medication, new diagnosis etc. Being a psychiatric patient is a dangerous game - you come in as a healthy man in a crisis and may end up physically/mentally deteriorated with bizarre mixture of diagnosis. Whilst the main cause can still be unrecognized, although it is kind of banality such as hypothyroidism, sleep apnea or any other somatic condition.

Of course, many patients do benefit from this type of treatment, but there is a wide spectrum of people being misdiagnosed as having psychiatric illness, therefore being mistreated, therefore having other debilitating problems etc.

I would like to advice you, trust your own intuition, don't leave yourself serve as mentally ill, while you are not.

hurray

• Lab1
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2011, 03:57:12 AM »
They didn't work for me - and I've tried a large variety of them - most of them had interesting and measurable effect out of POIS, but did nothing to combat the cognitive symptoms when in POIS.

emi_b

• Lab1
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2011, 04:45:13 AM »
Thank you all for your messages, I think I'll quit taking piracetam. It hadn't helped me much.
We should keep us away of these drugs.
There are deffinitely other true cures for POIS, that treat the root of POIS, and they aren't prescribed symptomaticaly.

Best regards.

Ccconfucius

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2011, 11:18:33 AM »
wait before you quit are you using choline with it, piracetam uses choline and you need twice the choline. And you have to use it for a while before you see effects. up to a month
Did you do a attack dosage use alot for a couple of days and then go down to therapuetic amount.  

i tried it for a short time and always wondered if it would help me but i am trying it again for three weeks.  I hope it helps so i can have something for emergency periods like school finals.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 11:20:14 AM by Ccconfucius »

emi_b

• Lab1
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2011, 11:57:41 AM »
wait before you quit are you using choline with it, piracetam uses choline and you need twice the choline. And you have to use it for a while before you see effects. up to a month
Did you do a attack dosage use alot for a couple of days and then go down to therapuetic amount. 

i tried it for a short time and always wondered if it would help me but i am trying it again for three weeks.  I hope it helps so i can have something for emergency periods like school finals.

I used only piracetam without choline, as I've said before I've taken only those 3 pills. And from then no more.
But if I need to take it for a month to see effects I think I won't take it anymore.
I've read it has some side effects, and on top of that it acts on the brain, so I want to be cautious.