Author Topic: Niacin Pharmacological activity and POIS ??  (Read 3070 times)

Bulls eye

• Lab1
Niacin Pharmacological activity and POIS ??
« on: March 05, 2012, 10:41:15 AM »
I tried to look for what other users thought of how niacin works on the other thread , but its becoming too big and multiple topics are discussed over there

what made Victor.kons therapist prescribe him niacin ? what kind of research papers or references indicated it's beneficial  effect on an immunity disorder ?

at first she prescribed him normal medications that any neurologist would if a patient is complaining of cognitive funtions she gave him  piracetem also known as nootropil , cerebrolisin injections , Vincopectine which is Cavinton and its usually mixed with piracetam  and sold in a single capsule , all these drugs promote neurological activity , cellular metabolism  and vascular supply in the brain

normally these drugs are prescribed with a vitamin b complex to aid the recovery of the nervous system , but i cant see what pushed her to prescribe nicotinic acid alone (B3) so am not completely sure if it was a coincidence  

I've googled to see wether nicotinic acid has anything to do with the immune system and found this interesting article

http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-02-nicotinic-acid-blocks-immune-cells.html

nicotinic acid receptor is present in different immune cells. For example, the receptor was found in macrophages in atherosclerotic blood vessels. When the scientists intentionally blocked the receptor in the cells of the immune system, the effect of the nicotinic acid disappeared. This suggests that the receptor expressed by immune cells transmits the anti-atherosclerotic effect.

[\quote]

nicotinic acid keeps macrophages from entering the atherosclerotic vascular wall by activating its receptor, thereby halting chronic inflammation. Furthermore, nicotinic acid changes the gene expression in the immune cells of the vascular wall and thereby stops the inflammatory activity of these cells