Author Topic: Going to be Fasting 2 days a week  (Read 5221 times)

Going less Crazy

Going to be Fasting 2 days a week
« on: December 14, 2014, 02:31:14 AM »
I tried fasting before for 3 days and it seemed to benefit me greatly at least mentally that week but than as usual POIS makes a comeback.  Recently I've been doing research and found that fasting can help with the remission of some auto-immune diseases essentially by "resetting" the immune system.  I am going to try a 5:2 diet, or completely fasting 2 days out of the week and eating normally (but healthily) the other 5 days.  I will update on my progress.  Their are studies all over the internet on fasting and resetting the immune system.  Hopefully this helps me.  I'm going to be completely fasting, that is only drinking water and no food on Mondays and Thursdays, I feel like it is unrealistic to go another 3 days in a row without eating.  This is something I can do long-term, and hopefully it benefits my immune system.  By the way I am not intending to lose weight at all, if anything I can gain some weight, I am considered thin for being 6'.5", that is six foot and half an inch... I weigh on a good day 160lbs.  Again I will update in the future.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 02:33:29 AM by Going less Crazy »
My POIS managed with Diet (@ diet that 100% manages my pois)Believe my POIS stems from inflammation in the gut. O = neuro POIS from inflammation from the gut

supps: microdose zyrtec if needed for food sens. ibuprofen for infl. as needed. Melatonin as needed. Big Pinch Black cumin  seeds once daily

Going less Crazy

Re: Going to be Fasting 2 days a week
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 11:18:39 PM »
So yesterday (Sunday) I completely fasted with just water.  Monday morning I woke up at 6:30 a.m. after only getting 3 hours of sleep because I had to take a final.  I felt really mentally clear in the morning, really really mentally clear.  Normally I would be in a bad mood ALL DAY if I did this, that is woke up after only around 3 hours of sleep.  I was driving to school when I noticed that I didn't have that "stressed" POIS feeling in my brain.  Today I was in a great mood, took a 3 hour final, studied for 8 hours, went home and ran on the treadmill for 10 minutes and here I am.  I really believe there is something to this. 

Although I don't expect this feeling to last, until I fast again, I believe it would be something worth trying for any one of you, especially if you need to lose weight (I actually need to gain).  Fasting temporary lowers the white blood cell count and may result in the "remission" of certain auto-immune disorders.  I remember reading a story not too long ago that members with Lupus, MS, and some other auto-immune disorders were clinically "in remission" after a 7-20 day fast with only the intake of water, as long as they remained on a vegan diet afterwards.  So I would think that doing this 2 days a week, Mon. and Thurs., and maintaining a decent diet would have somewhat of a lasting beneficial affect if I continue.

I started noticing the "clear" and peaceful mental feeling last night I'd say around 8 p.m.. You will feel quite "weird" and maybe even "bodily" stressed and have hunger, but will generally notice a clearing of the brain if you have my POIS.  What I did was have my last meal at 11 p.m. on Saturday night, didn't eat anything all Sunday and slept Sunday night into Monday morning until I had to wake up at 6:30 a.m., which I than had an apple and 2 doughnuts (I know not the healthiest), but the clear feeling still lasts.  I fasted for three days in a row about a month ago and that feeling lasted for about 3-4 days afterwards.  I can think clearly and understand everything going on in school and even contribute to conversations.  Again, the 2 day a week thing is something I can do long-term, so I will continue and update.

In the meantime it wouldn't hurt if one of you would like to try this for a full day.  You don't have to go out and buy anything, just have to not eat.  I would really like to see if one of you have similar results.  Make sure you have the physical ability to do a fast though, I wouldn't expect it to really hurt you unless you have some condition so be careful.  I don't want to be blamed for something that I recommended, but it is just fasting.  I haven't done any research on the potential side effects, so just be careful.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 11:31:04 PM by Going less Crazy »
My POIS managed with Diet (@ diet that 100% manages my pois)Believe my POIS stems from inflammation in the gut. O = neuro POIS from inflammation from the gut

supps: microdose zyrtec if needed for food sens. ibuprofen for infl. as needed. Melatonin as needed. Big Pinch Black cumin  seeds once daily

Quantum

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 11:59:04 AM »
Hi GLC,

Fasting does a good job for body cleansing, as well as giving a rest to your bowel inner lining to repair and restore.  When fasting, some mechanisms are turned on that are usually shut down when eating regularly.  Just think about the chronic insulin peaking we cause about 3 times a day in our metabolism, in response to our regular, too large, meals.   It does not only bring the pancreas to exhaustion (and cause the common type II diabetes when you get to 50 - 60 y/0 ), but insulin have many effects on our daily metabolism, and therefore, its relative absence open the way for some other metabolic pathways to awaken.  It is quite clear that our modern lifestyle is based on too much food, and moreover, too much of poor nutritional quality food.

I would be curious to hear about your regular diet, if you eat very healthy, or just regular diet.  And about the quantity, too.  There is for sure something in your regular diet that is not optimized for your health. 

Inflammatory Cytokines overproduction caused by allergy/intolerance/inflammation of the bowel mucosa is not, in my opinion, the central cause of POIS,  but sure is a comorbidity, an aggravating factor.  This kind of problems have many names and faces ( gluten intolerance, lactose intolerance, IBS, SIBO, coeliac disease, intestinal hyperpermeability, and so on...), but all those syndromes and illness have similar consequences. And they are not helping at all for POIS ! First, to the best of my current understanding, pro-inflammatory cytokins produced by an irritatated intestines upset even further the immune system - and I believe Dr Waldinger is right when he supposes that POIS, at its core, is an allergic/auto-immune disorder.  Second, an inflamed bowel inner lining will make it harder for some very useful nutriments to be absorbed and make it in the blood stream.  One of this nutriment, tryptophan, which is a rare amino acid that I really think is causing secondary clusters of symptoms in POIS, will then be less available.  Less tryptophan available, which is the base material for building both niacin and serotonin in our body and brain, leads to cognitive symptoms, emotional symptoms, or both.  And, to make it worse, the immune reaction at the base of POIS is speeding the rate at which body enzymes (mainly, IDO and TDO) are using tryptophan , so less and less free tryptophan will "survive" and cross the blood brain barrier and make it to the brain, hence the depletion of niacin and serotonin in the central nervous system ( I plan to eventually share more in details my view on POIS, but I am still testing my hypotheses - the 3 weeks rule  :) -  but so far, so good, like a 100% POIS-free O this morning  ;)  ) .

I have been experiencing POIS for 36 years now.  I have, like many members here, tried so many things along the way - and many more than others because I have been working on it for more than 3 and a half decades! Completely changing and renewing my diet for natural, healthy food, and also eating less in quantity than before, is something I have done 15 years ago.  My level of energy got better and better, and my POIS acute phase got shorter and less severe. And my "chronic", low-noise, everyday POIS-like symptoms got almost 100% away.  I didn't do anything special, just what any niutrionist would advice.  No more fast sugars, in particular concentrated fructose (as in sweets and anything having HFGS in it) and neither sucrose, absolutely no junk foods, the least possible fried and industrial food, absolutely no aspartame and monosodium glutamate, no artificial colors, no artificial flavors, no preservative agents (yes, I read all food labels before buying any food).  More fibers, more organic foods, no more milk ( I still eat some cheese, and love it, but milk is making my nose and throat full of thick secretion whithin 20 minutes I drink some). Soya drink in my cereals, spices ( lots of them), fruits (whole fruits are ok), vegetables, just a bit of meat ( not every day) , nuts, dried fruits, etc.... I avoid alcohol, drink it in small amount at a time, because I have a slow liver metabolism, and it makes me lethargic.  I may seem like a nutrition freak, but I am not. When I go to the restaurant, I choose something that is ok for me (any restaurant these days has at least one healthy dish on the menu) and I eat less, but won't fuss and get noticed by anybody for any weird comment or attitude. 

I never really fast, at least in the way you just did -  I am just kind of semi-fasting everyday.  Like, I always stay  bit on my appetite, and don't eat that extra bit of anything.  Even if healthy stuff, it's still extra workload for your digestive system.  I did not lose a pound by making theses changes, and I drink lots of water as well ( I never drink soda pop, or even fruit juices, where fructose has been concentrated).

I think you will benefit a lot by continuing your diet change, and find what works for you.  POIS is, as I see it, a four headed monster, having additional legs to harm you, and we have to neutralize each head and each leg one at a time.  To me, healthy diet is one of the needed step to win over POIS.

Sorry for the long post, but I felt like sharing what have been working so well for me for over 15 years now.

Have a great day, GLC!

Quantum

You are 100% responsible for what you do with anything I post on this forum and of any consequence it could have for you.  Forum rule: ""Do not use POISCenter as a substitute for, or to give, medical advice" Read the remaining part at http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=1.msg10259#msg10259

Colm

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 03:53:31 PM »
Quantum,

Thank you so much for your additional share.

As I am 6 months into nutritional approaches trying and trialling various dietary approaches, your knowledge and experience really hits home with me and helps.

For 3-4 months from July this year, with inspiration from people on this forum (after having taken a comprehensive food test), I eliminated my main problem foods, key one being cows milk.

I have (post that elimination) spent a further two months with a not dissimilar diet to yourself, although I am learning more here. Right now, I have also (having been tested and seem to have gut flora dysbiosis issues), am now on a two month additional supplementation period, under the guidance of an experienced nutritionist. Supplements advised that includes BioAcidophilus (for gut), vitamin d, multivitamin & multi mineral supplementation, a liver supplement, adrenal support supplement and omega 3. Note the nutritionist doesn't know about POIS, as I was just reporting on my symptoms generally, so maybe there is something extra I can see from yours and other posts, although I definitely don't want to overload on supplements either as that isn't clever and also leaves one feeling a bit like a neurotic if you take too much "stuff".

Note; I don't take any drugs and have avoided GP's. Note, I
am not suggesting anyone avoid their GP or medications, just my choice.

Also, of note the most progress I have ever made with my POIS was 10 years on a high grade St Johns Wort. I had to stop taking as I am prevented from importing into my country as only Pharma tablets are permitted for depression. How sad is that!

All this supplementation and nutritional approaches are added to my avoidance of most refined sugars, elimination of alcohol which has always dragged my system down anyway, so no loss there.

I have had some positive glimpses of wellness, something I have lacked for 40 years with this condition. Am not getting too excited as there isn't any consistency to the wellness and I haven't really tested O. Other stresses in life don't help healing in my experience, as it's not all about the physiological approaches in my humble opinion. Am just in the habit of avoiding at
All costs because of serous work setbacks with previous "O"'s.

I will report back certainly in February, on my own experiences with this strategy.

I also appreciate that these approaches require a lot of discipline and won't necessarily be easy for people to try, even if they work for some.

The jury is still out on everything here I suspect.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 04:01:41 PM by Colm »

Quantum

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 05:49:18 PM »
Quantum,

Thank you so much for your additional share.

As I am 6 months into nutritional approaches trying and trialling various dietary approaches, your knowledge and experience really hits home with me and helps.

For 3-4 months from July this year, with inspiration from people on this forum (after having taken a comprehensive food test), I eliminated my main problem foods, key one being cows milk.

I have (post that elimination) spent a further two months with a not dissimilar diet to yourself, although I am learning more here. Right now, I have also (having been tested and seem to have gut flora dysbiosis issues), am now on a two month additional supplementation period, under the guidance of an experienced nutritionist. Supplements advised that includes BioAcidophilus (for gut), vitamin d, multivitamin & multi mineral supplementation, a liver supplement, adrenal support supplement and omega 3. Note the nutritionist doesn't know about POIS, as I was just reporting on my symptoms generally, so maybe there is something extra I can see from yours and other posts, although I definitely don't want to overload on supplements either as that isn't clever and also leaves one feeling a bit like a neurotic if you take too much "stuff".

Note; I don't take any drugs and have avoided GP's. Note, I
am not suggesting anyone avoid their GP or medications, just my choice.

Also, of note the most progress I have ever made with my POIS was 10 years on a high grade St Johns Wort. I had to stop taking as I am prevented from importing into my country as only Pharma tablets are permitted for depression. How sad is that!

All this supplementation and nutritional approaches are added to my avoidance of most refined sugars, elimination of alcohol which has always dragged my system down anyway, so no loss there.

I have had some positive glimpses of wellness, something I have lacked for 40 years with this condition. Am not getting too excited as there isn't any consistency to the wellness and I haven't really tested O. Other stresses in life don't help healing in my experience, as it's not all about the physiological approaches in my humble opinion. Am just in the habit of avoiding at
All costs because of serous work setbacks with previous "O"'s.

I will report back certainly in February, on my own experiences with this strategy.

I also appreciate that these approaches require a lot of discipline and won't necessarily be easy for people to try, even if they work for some.

The jury is still out on everything here I suspect.

Hi Colm,

Regarding probiotics supplements, it is important that both strains of bifidus and lactobacillus are present in it.  The bifidobacterium have a preference for the colon, and the lactobacillus prefers the small intestine.  When you have both, the whole length of your guts have its flora regenerated.  The supplement I use has 2 strains of bifidobacterium, and 4 different strains of lactobacillus, summing up to 70 billion bacteria per capsules.

I sure agree with you, Colm, that healing is not just about physiological approach.  That is why I have a multiple approach, and practice meditation daily, among other things, and it is as much important, if not more, than any supplement I take.  One of the things that modern medecine is overlooking is the tremendous power of thoughts, perceptions and emotions on the body, the physiology, and ultimately, our health. In fact, it does acknowledge it, because any scientific drug trial must be double blind, in order to discriminate between placebo effect, perception bias, and the "real", pharmacological effect of a specific drug.  Since you cannot get a patent on placebo effect, nobody cares that it DOES shows potent results - the only thing pharma companies want is that their drug shows MORE results than placebo alone or placebo plus a current drug for the same indication.  The best combo, of course, is having an effective supplement plus an emotional, mental and physical balance that is compatible with healing and health. 

In the meantime, modern medecine, which is brilliant in emergency cares, continues to struggle in chronic or debilitating conditions such as multiple sclerosis, rhumathoid arthritis, CFS, Parkinson disease, Alzheimer disease, and many others.

You are 100% responsible for what you do with anything I post on this forum and of any consequence it could have for you.  Forum rule: ""Do not use POISCenter as a substitute for, or to give, medical advice" Read the remaining part at http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=1.msg10259#msg10259

Colm

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2014, 05:38:43 PM »
Thanks Quantum,

I just checked and the probiotics supplements I was recommended by the nutritionist are high in the strains of bifudus and lactobacillus that you have mentioned above, so that is reassuring.

Much appreciated !

Just got to keep off the rubbish over the holidays :-(