Author Topic: POIS Study from China -- Interesting  (Read 6884 times)

Stef

POIS Study from China -- Interesting
« on: February 04, 2015, 08:30:35 PM »
Hi All,

Here's a link to an abstract of a just-published article (1/29/15) from the Journal of Sexual Medicine -- http://t.co/wNtcN6t80K. The study title is, "Postorgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS) in a Chinese Man: No Proof for IgE-Mediated Allergy to Semen." It was conducted at Peking Union Medical College Hospital in Beijing, China

The study Involved four Chinese men, one of whom was considered to have POIS. (I'm guessing the diagnosis was based on symptoms, as there are no medical diagnostics yet for POIS.) He and the three healthy, non-POIS men (control subjects) -- were administered skin-prick tests AND intradermal allergy-testing injections of their own semen.

All four men developed what looked like "positive" allergic skin reactions to their own semen.  However, no semen-specific IgE antibodies to their own semen were detected in the serum of either the the POIS-affected patient or the healthy males, despite the skin reactions.

Abstracts contain only baseline information, and it would be helpful to know exactly what tests were performed, what the blood test results showed specifically, etc. I'd also find it very interesting to hear what the interpretation ultimately was of the allergic-appearing skin reactions that weren't backed up by serum evidence. Unfortunately, I don't have access to the entire study.

For a scientific clinical study to be definitive, the researchers must be able to replicate their findings in larger populations of affected people. So -- this is not to be considered THE ANSWER to the ongoing questions about semen allergy in POIS. 

But I found it interesting and hope you do also. 

Best wishes,
Stef
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 08:18:59 PM by Stef »

Quantum

• Administrator
Re: POIS Study from China -- Interesting
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 07:10:10 PM »
Very interesting, Stef, thanks for the link.

The most interesting part is where they say that "The patient had a positive skin test with his own semen. Three healthy donors also showed positive skin tests. No semen-specific IgE to autologous semen was detected in the serum of the affected patient or healthy males."  (emphasis is mine)

If their tests were well performed,  it would suggest that POIS may be caused by a lowered immune tolerance, or a defective barrier in the urethral lining.  So, those with POIS would be either those having a lowered immune tolerance, or who are too much exposed to their semen and its "natural" property of initiating an immunological response, or both. 

P.S. No IgE do not mean no hypersensitivity reaction.  For example, Type IV hypersensitivity reaction is mediated by T-cells.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 07:14:47 PM by Quantum »
You are 100% responsible for what you do with anything I post on this forum and of any consequence it could have for you.  Forum rule: ""Do not use POISCenter as a substitute for, or to give, medical advice" Read the remaining part at http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=1.msg10259#msg10259

Going less Crazy

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 10:42:40 PM »
Or and a big Or... the actual semen/sperm could have nothing to do with it and it could be in relation to the hormones released to produce semen/sperm after orgasm, or just one released upon orgasm that is not having a good effect in our bodies.  I'm actually glad that these tests were finally done to show that normal men react to their own semen.  So if this is true, Waldinger's study to allergy to semen/sperm means nothing since all men may be allergic once injected, he should have had controls in his experiment in the first place.
My POIS managed with Diet (@ diet that 100% manages my pois)Believe my POIS stems from inflammation in the gut. O = neuro POIS from inflammation from the gut

supps: microdose zyrtec if needed for food sens. ibuprofen for infl. as needed. Melatonin as needed. Big Pinch Black cumin  seeds once daily

Nightingale

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 11:00:59 PM »
Thanks Stef!
Turmeric and Rosemary 30-45 minutes before orgasm for anti-inflammatory and immune support has helped me a lot. Faster and easier than niacin approach.

poisioq

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 04:24:22 AM »

... or a defective barrier in the urethral lining.

Could be possible that this defective barrier is due actually to a form of Erectile Disfunction?
I mean maybe we believe we have full erection while internally somehow the urethra remain softer than it should, thus more exposed to the antigen.
Well I always have the feeling I never reach 100% erections, maybe 95 - 98%.

What do you think?

Thank you

G-man

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 11:58:43 PM »
If their tests were well performed,  it would suggest that POIS may be caused by a lowered immune tolerance, or a defective barrier in the urethral lining.  So, those with POIS would be either those having a lowered immune tolerance, or who are too much exposed to their semen and its "natural" property of initiating an immunological response, or both. 
Well this is embarrassing, but when I first started masterbating I would put pressure on my urethra to stop the flow of semen so I wouldn't have to clean up. It seemed like a genius idea at the time, but maybe it damaged some protective barrier.

G-man

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2015, 11:51:39 PM »
Very interesting, Stef, thanks for the link.

The most interesting part is where they say that "The patient had a positive skin test with his own semen. Three healthy donors also showed positive skin tests. No semen-specific IgE to autologous semen was detected in the serum of the affected patient or healthy males."  (emphasis is mine)

P.S. No IgE do not mean no hypersensitivity reaction.  For example, Type IV hypersensitivity reaction is mediated by T-cells.
Any guesses as to which type of hypersensitivity is involved in POIS? I assume that Type I is eliminated because POIS is not an IgE mediated allergy.

FloppyBanana

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2015, 08:09:41 PM »
or a defective barrier in the urethral lining.  So, those with POIS would be either those having a lowered immune tolerance, or who are too much exposed to their semen and its "natural" property of initiating an immunological response, or both. 

If these doctors are willing to the length of injecting sperm into people it seem there could be some pretty practical tests done to bypass the urethra. (Rhetorical question:) why can't a POISer have a stent put in his penis then masterbate and see if he gets POIS. Or perhaps some sort of temporary chemical lining which sets and protects the urethra.

In all the loop holes in Wandingers study I still think he shooting in the right direction (so to speak)

I'm intolerant to wheat and when i have it I can feel my urethra burning.
30 years of POIS. Mytelase after O with Iceman breathing technique.