Author Topic: Oh Boy: My Journey As a Woman With POIS  (Read 2620 times)

Unluckiest_Lady_Alive

Oh Boy: My Journey As a Woman With POIS
« on: June 03, 2023, 10:43:15 AM »
Just posting this here for future reference, for myself and anyone else who may stumble across it.  I obviously haven't been formally diagnosed living in Middle America where getting NORMAL things diagnosed is a crapshoot but have eliminated all other suspected triggers for this sudden-onset, severe/acute illness that's taken over my life.  After typing "sick after masturbating" into Google and stumbling upon this condition, I'm 99.95% convinced this is my answer despite the rarity of it overall, never mind among women.  All diseases start as "men's and boys' diseases" until more research is done and then, whaddaya know?  Turns out girls & women had them all along, we just didn't care to look.  ADHD (presents differently), autism ("Light it up blue!"), hemophilia (much more common in males but does occur in women), etc.

I have been to the Urgent Care & had a battery of tests run when I thought I was dying of sepsis after a telehealth nurse refused to prescribe antibiotics for a suspected kidney infection: symptoms feel most similar to that, with chills radiating up my back and revolving around SEVERE fatigue that's almost paralyzing.  They tested for strep, flu, COVID and did a swab for STDs, all of which were negative.  Also, no UTI.  My kidney/liver/heart function were also "pristine" according to my most recent blood test (and turned out fine in the Urgent Care too).  I see the doctor every 3 months for my ADHD appointments which means blood pressure/heart rate are taken & I pee in a cup, and my doctor is very thorough.  The only thing that was off was my glucose, which was 61--normal is 70 at lowest.  I was not fasting but they didn't say what this might mean.  I was not having an episode at this time.

My 1st bout of this hellatious illness happened on April 10th, at the same time my sister was down with COVID (she'd tested positive and was symptomatic).  I'd been directly exposed to her without a mask for an extended length of time during the prodromal phase, when a person is most infectious.  I thus assumed my symptoms MUST be COVID despite 4 negative tests.  The tests are known to give false negatives (more so with each new variant), particularly if you don't take them when your viral load is highest.  And by the time you're symptomatic it's often too late.  But even my PCR test was neg so I kinda had to let that go.  (It was around this time I read about POIS but pushed it to the back of my mind due to the rarity).  And the sickness kept popping up.  Long COVID perhaps?  But it just KEPT coming & going, so I moved on to another suspect:  the Betadine iodine (povidone-iodine) cream I was using on my scalp ringworm.  I read that it readily absorbs into broken skin & can cause metabolic acidosis & other serious complications of the thyroid/kidney (https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34258074/), so I was just sure this was the issue (it seemed especially likely after the low glucose reading). 

But alas, after throwing it away yet another round of the dreaded illness occurred, which left only one potential culprit:  POIS. 

SYMPTOMS

Symptoms begin about 10 minutes after orgasm & are directly proportional to the duration & intensity of masturbation sessions, the longer/more intense, the sicker I am for longer.  The longest I was sick was just over a week.  Position oddly seems to make a difference--if i lie down in the bed during the deed I'm okay, if I sit up I'm not.  But this isn't like a vagus nerve attack* or motion sickness thing: it's much more severe.  In fact it's more severe than any illness I've had save maybe severe norovirus.  That includes COVID, influenza & strep. And it makes cold turkey opioid withdrawal and antidepressant withdrawal feel like the sniffles.  The only drug withdrawal that's on par with it is cold turkey benzo withdrawal which can be fatal.  I couldn't move from my bed if my life depended on it, which I thought it did the other night during a severe storm.  I couldn't even feel around in my bed to pick up my phone to check if a tornado was coming.  The fatigue is that bad.  I literally slept a night + a whole day + another whole night just now.  😭

A severe bout includes:  runny nose, severe fatigue, nausea, diarrhea, fever/chills, lower middle back pain, nightmares, depression, dizziness/fullness in the ears, acid reflux, dry cough.
A less severe bout includes:  runny nose, fatigue, 1-2 bouts of diarrhea.

HEALTH BACKGROUND

- Have endometriosis; been off hormonal birth control since early 2020
- Had COVID a suspected 3 times that presented as full-body itchy rash similar to chickenpox between 2019-2021.
- Bad concussion in 2020
- Had original series of COVID vaccines May 2021 (Pfizer) and a booster in December 2022 (Moderna bivalent);  no more rashes since
- On Griseofulvin & topical antifungals for tinea capitis during onset of POIS.
- Severe period of mental stress from January 2023 until onset of POIS.
- Another suspected bout of COVID preceding the onset
- Long period of sexual abstinence leading up to onset: benzo withdrawal in 2013 killed libido until 2023-ish.
- Gay, never had semen inside or around vagina.  No pregnancies terminated or otherwise.  No known STDs (just tested negative).
- Female ejaculator.  Rarely use sex toys, condoms (none since this began). 

*I've had my vagus nerve directly hit during a PAP smear & know what that feels like:  my body basically races to see whether it'll puke or faint first, with fainting always winning because I'm not a puker.  Everything goes black and my ears do that high-pitched 'heeeeeee' thing but it's over very quickly.  This is NOT that.  I honestly don't know what to compare it to because it's so severe & feels like nothing I've ever experienced before.  It's also not a gut microbiome issue, candida overgrowth or a vitamin deficiency that came on gradually.  Not to pooh-pooh anyone's pet theory as I do suspect there are multiple subtypes & causes of this bizarre condition; I just want to drive home how sudden & acute my case is.  It hit like a freight train & is worse than any illness or drug withdrawal I can think to compare it to.  I honestly thought I was dying the 1st time. 

Also, there are a lot of supplements I can't take due to chronic gastritis.  I keep seeing long lists of things to try that I'll never be able to choke down which is disheartening.  NSAIDS and anything even remotely acidic, spicy or minty are off the table.  (Vitamin C, Resveratrol, any citrus fruit or flavoring, cayenne/cinnamon/ginger/peppermint, etc).  I already take a crapton of meds & supplements that I'm about to list in my signature.  But I'm open to all theories that are science-based & well-meaning.  💚

I guess this is extra hard because I was just getting my libido back and then BOOM.  The universe said nuh-uhh, think again.  I finally have my own place with plenty of privacy and can't even enjoy it now.  It could be worse--Parkinson's, ALS, cancer--but it still sucks. 

...to be continued. 
« Last Edit: June 03, 2023, 11:03:08 AM by Unluckiest_Lady_Alive »
Current Meds:  Prozac, Topamax, Adderall, Omeprazole, clobenzorex, OTC sleep aids (Benadryl, Unisom, Valerian, melatonin), codeine, griseofulvin, topical antifungals (azoles, allylamines, benzylamines, others).

Quantum

• Administrator
Re: Oh Boy: My Journey As a Woman With POIS
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2023, 06:14:31 PM »
Hello ULA, and welcome to poiscenter :)   

There are not a lot of women with POIS on the forum, but there are some.  Among them is IronFeather, who has her own thread where she discusses her case ( https://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=3765.0),  There is also a general thread about women with POIS at https://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=2755.0

There is no definite theory about POIS to date.  It also seems that there are different sub-types of POIS because some method that helps one member can make another member worse.

I would suggest you to take a look at my POIS Types Chart, which presents many methods that have been found efficient to help relieve POIS symptoms.  Some are very simple and safe to try.  Anyway, it is advised that you see with your health professional which method can be safely tried in your case.  This chart is at https://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=3777.msg40082#msg40082 .  I hope you will find a method that will shorten your POIS attack duration, and make your symptoms less severe. 

« Last Edit: June 03, 2023, 06:18:04 PM by Quantum »
You are 100% responsible for what you do with anything I post on this forum and of any consequence it could have for you.  Forum rule: ""Do not use POISCenter as a substitute for, or to give, medical advice" Read the remaining part at http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=1.msg10259#msg10259

Unluckiest_Lady_Alive

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2023, 11:55:05 AM »
Awww THANK YOU!  Definitely trying to gather as much info as possible as this just hit me like a ton of bricks.  Very helpful resource you've got there, probably the best on the internet.  Still hanging onto hope that it goes away when I get off the griseofulvin or the COVID after-effects go away.  Unlikely but maybe possible?  Meh. 

Just coming back to record that taking 2 Vistaril (hydroxyzine) about 30 minutes before a session seemed to help keep the worst symptoms away today.  Also took 2 codeine right before falling asleep with my sleep aids.  Was already feeling crummy from a previous "session" the night before (I know, I know lol) so this is kinda significant.  Normally I'd be sleeping like a rock right now.  I take soooo many drugs & supplements daily that it'll be hard to ever discern what helps/hurts but I'm counting this as a success for now. 
« Last Edit: June 10, 2023, 12:04:53 PM by Unluckiest_Lady_Alive »
Current Meds:  Prozac, Topamax, Adderall, Omeprazole, clobenzorex, OTC sleep aids (Benadryl, Unisom, Valerian, melatonin), codeine, griseofulvin, topical antifungals (azoles, allylamines, benzylamines, others).

Quantum

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2023, 09:24:30 PM »
It is interesting that hydroxyzine,  an antihistamine, is helping you, because there are other members who are relieved by taking antihistamines.  You can see details at #8 of my POIS Types Chart, at https://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=2338.msg19448#msg19448 (this link is more direct than the one I gave you in my previous post).
Benadryl (diphenydramine) mentioned there is very similar to hydroxyzine, both being first-generation antihistamines.
You are 100% responsible for what you do with anything I post on this forum and of any consequence it could have for you.  Forum rule: ""Do not use POISCenter as a substitute for, or to give, medical advice" Read the remaining part at http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=1.msg10259#msg10259

Unluckiest_Lady_Alive

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2023, 04:19:31 PM »
So yesterday I realized how scratchy & hoarse my throat felt during/after one of these episodes so I decided to check what it LOOKED like and... hoo boy.  Kinda sent myself on an all-afternoon health anxiety attack.  My left tonsil was swollen with shallow "holes" & surrounded by white pus, and the right one also had pus (snot?) all around it.  My entire throat had a cobblestone appearance plus the redness that goes with esophagitis (which is due to my GERD but worrying nonetheless).  I started listing all the possible causes which ended up being the griseofulvin, which can cause oral thrush, as well as strep, mono & other forms of tonsillitis.  And of course cancer.  But when I was tested for strep/flu/COVID recently at the ER during one of these attacks it was all negative.  And adults rarely get mono severely enough to get really sick.  It didn't hurt enough to be strep so I ended up back at the conclusion that this is just a POIS symptom since dry/scratchy throat with dry cough is one of the core symptoms. 

Lo and behold, this morning when I snapped a couple pics of my throat it was all better!  I took two Vistaril (hydroxyzine) last night before my "session" (I have lots of sessions these days lol) and it really, really does help.  Sadly it appears cetirizine--a 2nd generation non-sedating antihistamine--does NOT help in my case.  I'd taken only that the previous night before the throat issues popped up.  Bummer.  I really hoped it would work as I dislike having to take the sedating ones. 

Thanks for the link, @Quantum!  I've also had relief when taking doxylamine (Unisom) 45 minutes before a "session" but hydroxyzine seems to work even better.  Doxy is my usual sleep aid but I have to be vigilant about timing the dose long enough in advance for it to kick in.  I've always gotten red splotchy spots on my chest after, uhh, sexual acts but just assumed it was from overheating.  Maybe it was more of a histamine reaction? 

Would be interested to see if anyone else with throat/voice symptoms has visible tonsil signs.  (The first 2 pics are from yesterday; the last 2 from today.  Notice the left tonsil poking out and looking all hole-y with inflamed surroundings and icky white everywhere.  Today just some redness which is normal for me according to my most recent endoscopy). 

Muon

• MCAD Thread
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2023, 04:26:36 PM »
Have you played with chatGPT regarding your case and medical questions?

https://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=4375.0

I respond the acidic stuff as well, feels out of proportion irritating if you know what I mean. Ironfeather (female) could generate symptoms from different sleeping positions if I'm not mistaken, but not POIS related. She thinks that something is wrong with her vagus nerve. People with POTS can respond to gravity, some POTS researchers think position, like standing up may induce cytokine release/storms, so sitting might contribute more to inflammation compared to being prone. In MCAS, mast cells might release stuff upon pressure to different body parts. Pressure is less when force is distributed over a larger surface.

Standard tests won't get you anywhere. Since you respond to 1st gen antihistamine, this might be another case of MCAS if you take the other [bunch] of symptoms into consideration with fatigue being extreme.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2023, 03:44:22 AM by Muon »

Quantum

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2023, 02:40:44 PM »
Quote from: Unluckiest_Lady_Alive on 2023-06-24, 16:19:31

Lo and behold, this morning when I snapped a couple pics of my throat it was all better!  I took two Vistaril (hydroxyzine) last night before my "session" (I have lots of sessions these days lol) and it really, really does help.  Sadly it appears cetirizine--a 2nd generation non-sedating antihistamine--does NOT help in my case.  I'd taken only that the previous night before the throat issues popped up.  Bummer.  I really hoped it would work as I dislike having to take the sedating ones. 

Thanks for the link, @Quantum!  I've also had relief when taking doxylamine (Unisom) 45 minutes before a "session" but hydroxyzine seems to work even better.  Doxy is my usual sleep aid but I have to be vigilant about timing the dose long enough in advance for it to kick in.  I've always gotten red splotchy spots on my chest after, uhh, sexual acts but just assumed it was from overheating.  Maybe it was more of a histamine reaction? 

Would be interested to see if anyone else with throat/voice symptoms has visible tonsil signs.  (The first 2 pics are from yesterday; the last 2 from today.  Notice the left tonsil poking out and looking all hole-y with inflamed surroundings and icky white everywhere.  Today just some redness which is normal for me according to my most recent endoscopy).
Hi ULA,
I am glad that the link helped you.

The red spots you usually had on the chest may be, indeed, from histamine release.  Histamine does cause red spots ( As a child I had severe hay fever for years, and had red, elevated, and very itchy spots and rash all over the body just by entering a field with any grass in it - all these were caused by histamine release).  I understand that for you, the antihistamines prevent those spots from appearing so this is another hint that they might be caused by histamine.  Allergy-like symptoms are quite common in POIS, but not in all cases ( POIS is very complex, and my personal view is that there are many different types of POIS)  We do not know yet why histamine would be released in certain cases of POIS.

Flu-like symptoms like sore throat is a common symptom of POIS, but we do not have many photos on the forum to see if tonsils are involved.
You can see a list of POIS symptoms known from members here, at https://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=3651.0 .   I could add "Tonsils inflammation".  Would you consider it a flu-like symptom or an allergy-like symptom?