Author Topic: Niaspan - prescription niacin used to treat high cholesterol - my results  (Read 5464 times)

Nightingale

After talking with my endocrinologist, who has been my main sympathizer with POIS, I just had the chance to try out Niaspan 500mg slow release niacin.  He prescribes it for his patients with bad cholesterol or even hypertension i think.  But I told him about our success stories with Niacin and he was happy to give me some samples of Niaspan.  He told me I could reduce the flush with aspirin, but i did not take any.

After two weeks, I can reaffirm that I don't have much affinity to niacin as an aid to my POIS, except in one area.  I have been able to wake up about 1 hour earlier after my typical O at nights.  I was surprised, as I had pretty much given up on niacin.  I tried every method talked about with regular flush niacin, and I had no apparent improvement.

This is a slow release capsule, but the fact that it's 500 mg has me wondering if I should try a much higher dose of regular flush niacin than I have before.  I have tried up to 500 mg, but after not seeing any results I stopped going higher over concerns with my liver.

I will try a higher dose of niacin.  Who here is taking the highest amount of niacin?

I'm a pretty big guy, 6'1" and 207 lbs...
Turmeric and Rosemary 30-45 minutes before orgasm for anti-inflammatory and immune support has helped me a lot. Faster and easier than niacin approach.

Bulls eye

• Lab1
niacin didnt work for me either  untill i did the following
for niacin to work , take the adequate amount to produce flushing ( in your case you'll have to split the 500mg tablet in halves , then crush one half , dissolve it in a cup of water and drink it all ) , then wait for the flush it should be 5-15 mins till you get it , once you get the flush wait at least 20 mins before having an O . follow that exact scheme and tell me what happened

Daveman

• Administrator
Yeah, the Niaspan slow release will not work unless it gives you a flush. Also Niaspan (for cholesterol) is meant to be taken regularly, which also is not a good practice for POIS, because it builds up a tolerance. The Niaspan dose of 500mg is larger because it releases slowly, so is not necessarily an indication that higher doses of regular niacin should be taken.

It has been found that Niaspan can be crushed and taken as a crushed powder. This "undoes" the slow-release and reverts it to regular niacin. So you wouldn't want to take 500mg of crushed Niaspan.

When you took regular Niacin, did you ever get a flush?

The flush indicates that you have taken enough, it's like a marker.

Eating or drinking alcohol before taking niacin stops the flush and reduces the effectivity. You should not ingest either of those for at least 3 hrs before taking the niacin. The niacin should ONLY be take about 30 min before the orgasm. Not daily nor after the orgasm.

The "rules" to taking niacin are quite strict. But if they are followed the results are very good. If you follow them closely and still don't get releif from niacin, then you do not have an affinity.

So as a last resort to see if niacin works for you follow the procedure below to the letter:

Be sure not to eat or drink for at least 3 hrs before taking the niacin.
Start with 100mg
Wait for the flush (about 15 to 20 minutes)
Let the fllush pass the peak
Have sex

If you do not get a flush you need to take more. For this what has worked well for me is to take another 50mg powdered if you don't get the flush within 30 min of taking the original 100mg. The powdered should kick in within about 5 minutes. If you don't get a flush after that 50mg, take another 50mg powdered and wait the  or 10 minutes.

By now you have taken 200mg total. I would say if you haven't had the flush by then, let it go a couple of days (don't "O") and try again but with 200mg on the first shot and then 100mg on a second shot.

You shouldn't really need more than about 300mg. when taken in fast.

If you get the flush but still don't get POIS relief, then niacin doesn't work for you.

WITHOUT RESEARCH THERE WILL BE NO CURE!
Sessions 5 to 9 days, mostly Flu-like, joints, digestion problems, light cognitive.
Niacin has changed my lif though, now 1 day MAX.
Somewhere in this interaction with Niacin is the answer!

Nightingale

If you get the flush but still don't get POIS relief, then niacin doesn't work for you.

That unfortunately seems to be the case...
Turmeric and Rosemary 30-45 minutes before orgasm for anti-inflammatory and immune support has helped me a lot. Faster and easier than niacin approach.

Bulls eye

• Lab1
have you wated after your flush 20 mins before having an O ? because when i O mid flush didnt have the same effect ..

Daveman

• Administrator
have you wated after your flush 20 mins before having an O ? because when i O mid flush didnt have the same effect ..

One time I was having a pretty strong flush, and since it was strong and not passing, and I was horny, we had sex anyways.

Afterwards, the flush mixed with the orgasm left me in that dreamy after sex state for a good long while, it was real nice, BUT, I had more POIS in that session. It lasted about 3 days and was about 30 or 40% instead of 5%.  :(
WITHOUT RESEARCH THERE WILL BE NO CURE!
Sessions 5 to 9 days, mostly Flu-like, joints, digestion problems, light cognitive.
Niacin has changed my lif though, now 1 day MAX.
Somewhere in this interaction with Niacin is the answer!

Bulls eye

• Lab1
i had the same thing as well , actually the flush increases my sex drive , when i O during the flush i could feel the flush getting heavier as if blood vessels in face will explode

the thing is when i follow the protocol and use niacin correctly ,  i feel that i somehow miss that sort of high i get after an O , and am not satisfied by this O , but if i have to chose between having no pois symptoms  or that its no question what i'll choose