Author Topic: Did anyone discover something went wrong (i.e. POIS) in adolescence?  (Read 3437 times)

manhei1994

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum, and I am from a city in East Asia. First of all, I would like to thank the creator of this forum and the efforts made by many people here, I have known much more about this disease now through this forum. I just can't express how relieved I am knowing more about my problem. I want to ask a question, but I would like to share something about myself for your information, you may just skip the next paragraph if you are not interested.

It is a bit hard to say when I started to discover something went wrong, because I stopped masturbation for some years before I started again. I accidentally discovered masturbation at the age of 10, without evening knowing how it was called. Then, in the next two years, I remember I often had headache and my head grew slightly abnormally large (which is a bit strange as it is not commonly found in other patients). I felt that something was wrong and I just stopped. I thought that masturbation itself caused my problem and I was fairly unhappy. Several years passed, I accidentally started it again. I was having another stomach disease, and my attention was paid to it and I somehow neglected the problems brought by my ejaculations. After several months, I also acquired anxiety disorder, as mentioned before, from that time, I always attributed my symptoms to my anxiety disorder and as you can guess, I failed to cure anything as it was not the true cause. Two years ago, I started to realize my symptoms had something to do with my masturbation. In fact, I experience muscle weakness, difficulties in concentration, difficulties in speaking, being agitated, increased anxiety, etc. I tried to search for information, and finally identified my problem -- POIS. Unfortunately, after 2 to 3 years of chronic ordeal, I became "accustomed to" being sick and forgot how nice being healthy was. I did not stop masturbation this time.  But I have somehow waken up this year, and I want to change. I attempt to stop masturbating, it is kind of successful, I felt much better during the weeks with no masturbation. This month, I have some ideas about finding some treatments which I previously thought to be not available. I was kind of misled by Wikipedia because the descriptions (e.g. one patient tried, two patients tried) there led me to believe that the attempts are tentative and are done in laboratories only. Now, I know that there are some possible treatments that I can try, though I can only try after this semester ends. I am not sure whether they will work, but at least I have some hopes now. Over the last 5.5 years, I often feel frustrated because  even though I am a hard-working person and I am willing to work hard to achieve more, I have to be restricted by this disease. Perhaps the world is sometimes quite ironical.

In fact, I would like to ask if there is anyone here who discovered something wrong (i.e. POIS, and I suppose you didn't know this term at that stage) with your masturbation in your adolescence, say the age range of 11-19, and if you wanted to consult a doctor, how would you or how did you tell your dad or other family members? Because it is sad that as a teenager, one doesn't have money to see a doctor, and must ask others for help. The reason I ask this is simply due to my meaningless reflection of the past, I just think about what I would do if I discovered it early on, and I wonder how others would do in such a situation.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 01:25:35 PM by manhei1994 »
My life has been affected by this disease over the last 10 years

Quantum

• Administrator
Re: Did anyone discover something went wrong (i.e. POIS) in adolescence?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 12:50:25 PM »
Hi Manhei, and welcome to the forum !

I knew there was a problem since the beginning, when I first started to masturbate, around 12 y/o.  But this was long ago ( I am 50 now). and nothing was known about POIS back then.  As a matter of fact, the name of this syndrome was coined only around 2006 by Dr Waldinger.  So, no, I have never talked about it to a doctor, or to my parents neither ( sex was not a subject we could talk about in my family!).  My spouse is the only person I have discuss with about POIS, and of course, this has changed when I have found this forum, the best place to get support and information about POIS. I have only found this forum a year ago, and it is only then that I learned that I was not alone with this problem.  That, in itself, is a kind of relief.

You may want to spend money on seeing a doctor, but it has to be clear fo you:  this will only serve at eliminating other possible causes for your symptoms.  Usually, the typical doctor have never heard of POIS ( it is a rare disease, not talked about in medical schools), and even if you are lucky enough to find a doctor that have heard about POIS, there is still no tests, no blood work, that can confirm a POIS diagnostic - it is all based on clinical presentation, which is quite typical.  Doctors may want you to try SSRI antidepressants, or other medication, but no members got significant benefit form these. 

You may want to take a look at the forum threads, as some members came by themselves to find medications that helps ( Mytelase, niacin, various supplements,... ) and other beneficial techniques ( diet adjustment, healthy habits, ...).

You are 100% responsible for what you do with anything I post on this forum and of any consequence it could have for you.  Forum rule: ""Do not use POISCenter as a substitute for, or to give, medical advice" Read the remaining part at http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=1.msg10259#msg10259

manhei1994

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 01:21:40 PM »
Hi Manhei, and welcome to the forum !

I knew there was a problem since the beginning, when I first started to masturbate, around 12 y/o.  But this was long ago ( I am 50 now). and nothing was known about POIS back then.  As a matter of fact, the name of this syndrome was coined only around 2006 by Dr Waldinger.  So, no, I have never talked about it to a doctor, or to my parents neither ( sex was not a subject we could talk about in my family!).  My spouse is the only person I have discuss with about POIS, and of course, this has changed when I have found this forum, the best place to get support and information about POIS. I have only found this forum a year ago, and it is only then that I learned that I was not alone with this problem.  That, in itself, is a kind of relief.

You may want to spend money on seeing a doctor, but it has to be clear fo you:  this will only serve at eliminating other possible causes for your symptoms.  Usually, the typical doctor have never heard of POIS ( it is a rare disease, not talked about in medical schools), and even if you are lucky enough to find a doctor that have heard about POIS, there is still no tests, no blood work, that can confirm a POIS diagnostic - it is all based on clinical presentation, which is quite typical.  Doctors may want you to try SSRI antidepressants, or other medication, but no members got significant benefit form these. 

You may want to take a look at the forum threads, as some members came by themselves to find medications that helps ( Mytelase, niacin, various supplements,... ) and other beneficial techniques ( diet adjustment, healthy habits, ...).

Thank you very much, Quantum. I didn't expect to get replies so quickly. It is difficult for me to imagine that you have gone through it for several decades and not knowing what happened for such a long time.

Actually, I don't plan to see a doctor, the reasons are also identical to what you have mentioned. At this moment, I am quite sure I suffer from POIS and I learn of many potentially helpful treatments in this forum. And you are really right, general practitioners (am I right about this term? In my language, we use a term which literally means "family doctor") are not likely to know this disease. But I am really curious about how others go through or went through the same process. I sometimes look back at 5 years ago and regret a lot, though I know it is meaningless to be like that.
My life has been affected by this disease over the last 10 years

demografx

• Administrator
  • All of us working together to defeat POIS!
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2015, 01:42:23 PM »

Hi manhei1994,

Welcome

To POISCenter.com !

Please visit our Welcome

Page:

http://tinyurl.com/lwwns6z

« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 01:47:07 PM by demografx »
10 years of significant POIS-reduction, treatment consisting of daily (365 days/year) testosterone patches.

TRT must be checked out carefully with your doctor due to fertility, cardiac and other risks.

40+ years of severe 4-days-POIS, married, raised a family, started/ran a business