Author Topic: Bipolar Connection?  (Read 7646 times)

mentaldetective

Bipolar Connection?
« on: May 08, 2014, 02:38:23 PM »
Hello everyone! This is my first post. I just discovered this forum and the term POIS last night. What a huge relief to find out there was a name for what has been plaguing me for over 20 years! Thank you all for creating this forum and all of the very useful information that is contained here!

Anyway, to make my long journey here short- I had to become my own detective because no doctor was able to help me figure out what the heck was going on. I first thought the root problem was an anxiety disorder, then depression, then OCD, Candida, you name it! The most relate able connection to me was the bipolar condition. I mean I would go into these huge depressions for days, then emerge to a feeling of normalcy and even sometimes elation. Irritability, anxiety and doing things to relieve the depressions can also be considered manic behavior. Any way it seemed to make sense so I got diagnosed with Bipolar II by a doctor and tried different therapies for the condition. Lamictal helped a lot with the anxiety, derealization and depersonalization I was feeling, but it only solved a small part of the problem. Antidepressants only made things worse. Several years ago I did connect that the problems immediately emerged right after having the "O", but it didn't make any sense to me. My symptoms are-

Severe Depression
Irritability
Anxiety
Extreme Fatigue
Felt Really Warm and I think somewhat of a fluish type feeling
Extreme Lower Back and Neck Pain
Headaches
Bloated
Isolation
Confusion
DP/DR
Killed Creativity
Disorientation
The Inability To Concentrate Or Focus
Stomach Digestion Issues
Food Sensitivities
Paranoia
Insomnia
Weight Gain
& More & More

Anyway, I researched and researched for years and the only other condition I found was called "Post Coital Blues" which didn't seem to really define what I was feeling. By accident last night I discovered the term "POIS" and now I am here and overwhelmed with feelings of relief and also confusion on what to do next. Every relationship I have been in has suffered greatly because of my emotions and my position of having to put off sex as long as I possibly could. I thought God was punishing me for masturbating and/or having premarital sex. Anyway I was curious if anyone else thought their symptoms were because you were diagnosed with being bi polar?

I have discovered a couple things over the years that have helped that I would like to bring up in another topic.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 02:43:23 PM by mentaldetective »

Colm

Re: Bipolar Connection?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 04:19:34 AM »
Welcome Mental detective (Great forum name !),

It is good for you to find this group, and I know exactly similar feelings experienced in finding this board about a year ago, after feeling alone with this, for a long time.

While I haven't suffered with Bi-Polar symptoms, depression has been an ever present (post O) for a long time with myself.

I hope others can contribute on your Bi-Polar queries, and I know you will find many other ideas and comfort from the other posters here, as well as realizing that the POIS Squad & detectives (founders here and others) have worked very hard for years, for us all to bring us a valid approach to our long term health, actively supported (rather than sidelined) by the medical community.

Look forward to reading more of your posts.

sameer7777

• pls send what ever working pls thankyou
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 09:22:45 AM »
WE ARE ALL IN SAME BOAT !!!

yesterday was worse as that was first day of O , i have very bad fight with my wife and kids which i felt really sorry after wards ...... THANKS that my wife really understanding ..... .... but you know people dont believe us as we look all OK from face ..... just bit dull and pale ...... any way its the worst disease to be in ...... really bad than cancer .... as people know about it ....
pls don't expose me.
AFTER SEX/MASTERBATION (FLU LIKE SYMPTOMS)
1)BACK NECK PAIN GOES TO DOWN SPINE
2)NERVES LIKE SQUEEZED OUT
3)MORNING FEET NERVES PAIN
4)NASAL INFLAMMATION
5)BRAIN FOG
6)DEPRESSION
7)HIGH SUGAR LEVELS (TRIED INSULIN FOR 1 YEAR MAKE ME MORE SICK

mentaldetective

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 12:38:04 PM »
Colm, thank you for your welcome! It is definitely a huge relief to find that you are not alone in this situation! looking forward to reading your posts as well!

Sameer7777, I can totally relate with what you are saying. It's amazing how we can fake looking normal to the rest of the world around us. I'm really happy
to have a really understanding lady as well :)

POISrival

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 02:19:13 PM »
Hello MentalDetective

Welcome to the forums

May be there is similarities between POIS and bipolar disease. The way my mood swings after Orgasm is pretty much annoying. Sadly I have developed  permanent psychological effects since I started masturbation that somehow may sound like bipolar. But, they sound like other diseases also. POIS is pretty confusing since it and tons of other diseases have a lot in common.

I can't wait to hear more about your experience and the helpful things you found about.

Best Regards!
POIS is my worst enemy

sameer7777

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 05:41:14 PM »
A doctor told me to take Buspar, pls research what it is
Thankyou
pls don't expose me.
4)NASAL INFLAMMATION
5)BRAIN FOG
6)DEPRESSION

devastated

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 02:18:43 AM »
I get the same utterly frustrating symptoms, but I'm quite convinced they're all caused by POIS.

The pattern is the same, they all begin to happen about the 2nd or 3rd after orgasm.

If I abstain long enough, everything returns to normal.

sameer7777

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2014, 06:26:25 AM »
i take xanax for sleep
0.5 mg
pls don't expose me.
4)NASAL INFLAMMATION
5)BRAIN FOG
6)DEPRESSION

Disaster

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2014, 11:07:34 PM »
I definately can relate. O feels like it totally alters my brain chemistry. The longer I refrain from O the more people seem to want to be around me. As soon as I O then for days or weeks I can start arguments about stupid crap, be extremely rude and sarcastic, and just snap at stupid shit.i basically look back am just annoyed at myself.
POIS sufferer for over 3 decades. Has progressively gotten worse over the years and I became completely disabled around 2011. My case of POIS is very severe.

mentaldetective

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2014, 05:27:51 AM »
Thank you for your welcome drmmeha, looks like we have a lot in common! How old were you when you started noticing the symptoms of POIS?

Devastated- Sounds like we are in the same boat, it's really a good thing we all found this forum! I've gained a lot of relief knowing I'm not the only one.

Disaster- Thank you for your comment, it really sucks how this alters our brain in body so bad! It's making me go crazy!!! I noticed the same thing you mentioned about
how people want to hang out more once I go back to my normal self.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 12:46:24 AM by mentaldetective »

Nightingale

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2014, 09:53:52 AM »
I have been diagnosed with bipolar disorder type II (depressive subtype). I don't experience irritability, that's the main difference I'm seeing. It's just I've had a "low affect" most of my life.

I have spent years going to hospitals, doctors, lived in group homes, and suffered from a myriad of rare side effects from medications that affect my nervous system especially the ones prescribed for bipolar. But one med I have been on for years is lithium, the most commonly prescribed mood stabilizer. It has been effective in helping me avoid the deep swings into depression. But I didn't truly conquer my treatment resistant depression until I had electro convulsive therapy (ECT). I mention my nervous system because I really think that is the system that is probably responsible for POIS. Lithium essentially keeps your nervous system more stable. I have trouble getting my heart rate up very high, likely due to poor nerve tone. My best days are after 1.5-2 hours of cardio exercise, when my constant activity can improve my nervous tone. Again, ECT was extraordinary for me, saved me from suicide. And now, our head of the research project that is coming up soon believes POIS could result from poor tone of the vagal nerve. Perhaps you've heard of vagal nerve stimulators (like pacemakers) being used to treat severe depression.

Bipolar is one of the most common mental health diagnoses that has the most to do with the wider nervous system. Most of the drugs used to treat it are anti-convulsants meant to treat siezures, but were found to regulate mood too.

I am known among my friends as a resource to ask about friends who are having mental health issues. If you want, feel free to send me a private message. Maybe I have something from my long history with mental health that can help you find your way out sooner than later :)
Turmeric and Rosemary 30-45 minutes before orgasm for anti-inflammatory and immune support has helped me a lot. Faster and easier than niacin approach.

Disaster

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2014, 06:26:13 PM »
Nightingale- becareful with lithium, it can actually damage peripheral nerves
POIS sufferer for over 3 decades. Has progressively gotten worse over the years and I became completely disabled around 2011. My case of POIS is very severe.

Nightingale

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2014, 08:47:45 PM »
Nightingale- becareful with lithium, it can actually damage peripheral nerves

There are side effects to every med, and this is one I and my doctor are aware of. But we are also aware of the consequences of not being on lithium, an they are far worse than peripheral neuropathy. Lithium is far safer than most of what I take.The nerve damage is reversible if I begin to feel it and can take action early. Thanks for thinking about my health
Turmeric and Rosemary 30-45 minutes before orgasm for anti-inflammatory and immune support has helped me a lot. Faster and easier than niacin approach.

Disaster

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2014, 01:56:46 AM »
I actually know a young guy around 22 who has major peripheral neuropathy from it. The large fiber nerve do heal but the small autonomic fiber do not heal that well. You wouldn't feel autonomic neuropathy like you would a sensory or motor neuropathy. I suggest at the very least you take alpha lipoic acid with it.

brainfogfun

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2014, 05:45:38 PM »
I'm BP 2 as well and ejaculation is a big influence on swinging up to hypomania or down to severe depression.