Author Topic: Shutter Island  (Read 3912 times)

LAPOISSE

Shutter Island
« on: August 19, 2014, 11:53:48 AM »
Hello Guys,

Most of you will probably not like this post or reject it ; I would have done the same for years ; I feel like I need to share my view because it could help some of you.

I spent the last five years trying to understand what is POIS ; I saw dozen of med, had thousands of blood work, tried pretty much sups discussed here ; I've been investigated my endocrine system, my liver, my stomach, my brain, my ears, my eyes, my immune system and so on : My body is in good shape.

Like many of you, I noticed I had a lot of anxiety and have always been looking at it as a consequences of POIS caused by the fear of living the next day, week and years with my POIS. I've been absolutely convinced about that for years.

Today I'm POIS free and it's been about 2 month now ; Guess what i've done : I just stopped to control everything and especially my orgasm ; I have orgasm whenever I want, whenever I feel the need to have it, I stopped looking at everything I do, eat, act, feel every minute of my life as I did for years ; I stopped worrying about what will happen ; My logic was : this strategy doesn't work , I need to face it, Im' more sick that before I discovered that POIS existed ; I have to give a try and stop controlling ; If my POIS logic is right I should almost die with a lot of orgasm, no more pills, no more control ; If I don't die, maybe I'm wrong somewhere...

And I actually felt much better immediately ; So this is my explanation :

POIS is like a chronic burn out ; For individual reason(a part is probably genetic, for me it was caused by a trauma when I was 18) we have accumulated stress and anxiety for years ; Fight or flight response very useful in some situation is not designed to perform for an extend period of time ; Overstimulation of sympathetic system create conditions for exhaustion of nervous system ; My guess is that most of us developed strategy to avoid sinking totally and avoid doing a burn out which is nice but the problem became chronic with good period and relapse ; Most of us here are creative and intelligent people ; this has to play a role.

As a result, symptoms of POIS are totally real, something happens in the body, and in my opinion the nervous system just crash with a very probable influence of vagus nerve which control the sympathetic system. All the symptoms that we describe(most of them are sensation) can be linked to chronic anxiety. Feeling anxious doenst' even need to be present and not necessarily in the same period ; it can be unconscient and exhaustion stage ca, happen years after an anxious episode. 90% of case of anxiety disorder are revealed before 18yo which explain why many of us first experienced POIS in the puberty

If your are not convinced about what our brain can do you our body when we believe that we do something bad for us, look at this video ;there is  some people that can die and other heal  cancer just by turning they brain in one side or the other ; It's not new age theory, it's mainstream medical evidences

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWQfe__fNbs

For some reason our fear and anxiety have been focused to sexual activity and it works just like a phobia ; We fear orgasm a lot and when it happens everything that we expect(reinforce collectively through this forum) just happens ; It's Nocebo effect(the opposite of placebo effect) and it's quite powerful mechanism ; If we accept that placebo effects works on us(which is as a matter of fact very clear) we need to accept that nocebo has also a real impact.

It's very difficult to admit, took me a year and it's like waking up from a bad dream ; make me think to shutter island guy ; For and anxious brain, having a external problem is always easier that facing the problem but it's never gonna solve it.

I'm sure the Dr K. will find something with vagus nerve but I also believe that it will be a dead end as there is no cure for a neurovagal dystonia because it's a symptoms of a screw up nervous system, not a disease ; It's quite a common diagnosis here in France and people get basically benzo as a cure.

The good news is if i'm true we can heal ; we have an ability to use or brain to both make us ill or make us better and the brain is very powerful.

What I've done :

meditation : it's the key ; it's not an oriental think for monks with encents, it's science and very efficient ; you can re programate your brain(physically, if you do an MRI before and after some weeks of meditation you'll see a change in grey matter) with a bit of training ; I found out that I had a very athletic brain for worrying but I was able to train it to get more peace and calm ; it's efficient after only 6 weeks
cogntitive therapy : I saw 4 guys that was no competent ; the fifth was the good one ; This part is also really important
sport : accelerate the process ;
Food : eat healthy also accelerate the process
Normal life! stop wording after POIS

It's not an instant process, I failed a year ago because I had relapse after some O which make me fear again about O which was turned into anxiety and stressed/exhaust my nervous system ; then you feel tired mentally and physically so you worry even more,start ruminating  avoid O, restart to spend your day to assess how you feel and the cycle continue...your brain will try to find a logical/external explanation and POIS will get bigger again like a chimeras. So it's really important to regenerate your nervous system by giving it a break for enough time(including during POIS period) ; it's important to know that there is cycle and it will come back but if you modify your neuronal circuits and thinking pattern, it will go away for life.

What I felt for years was a subjective experience of again anxious mind ; we are non objective observatory of ourselves ; Cornelius who basically said exactly the same 2 years ago was true.

I know that most of us will reject all that ; I would have done the same ; It's like giving up on everything we've been believed before and it's much more confortable to have a disease on which we can't do nothing than having a psychological problem ; But again, read my old post, just like you I was absolutely convinced of POIS being a physical illness and today for the first time is 6 years I feel good.

Hope it helps some of you

Good luck

Prancer

Re: Shutter Island
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 07:14:41 PM »
Don't give up yet Lapoisse! Good video, but there's still plenty of research/investigating to be done on pois.

Nightingale

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 09:58:23 PM »
I'm really happy to hear you are feeling well LAPOISSE, but you're right. I disagree. I believe POIS is a physical thing, because I believe that's the only thing that makes up the universe. Natural things. Not supernatural. I think a lot of people believe that their consciouness and personality is like a "soul", something supernatural. I don't. What makes me a conscious person is a result of what goes on in my brain, and I think that when someone gets better or worse mentally it's because a physical change occurs in the brain. This can happen because of a change of belief or practicing meditation (I have practiced too), but it is measurable phenomena.

I have been the man in Shutter Island. I have been psychotic, and spent almost 3 years in hospitals and group homes trying to stay sane. And what helped me return to reality and overcome depression? A drug called Seroquel. And a treatment called Electro Convulsive Therapy. Designed by scientists, people who care about the sick and want to improve the condition of the human being. And that is who I think Dr. Komisaruk and his colleagues want to do, and they have a lot of work of scientists before them to back them up.

I don't care if you think their research isn't going to work. I don't think you understand why you got better, and I don't think because you got better you can say that it isn't related to what Dr. K is studying. Please, leave the judgement for when they are through, it makes me angry to read people who say things they really don't know or are guessing. It's rude. There are lots of people working hard for this, and they deserve better than to be judged before they even begin.

Please be careful what you say, especially when it's only guessing and theories. It always a contest about who is right and who is wrong. This isn't a contest.

I'm glad you're better. I'm not. You simply know what you personally went through, how can you say it will be the answer for us with only your opinion?

I don't believe in magic. I don't believe in miracles. I don't believe a lot of things because someone says they found the answer. I believe in facts. I believe in evidence. I'm sorry, but I reject most all what you wrote because I need to know the truth, and I'm not sure you yourself even understand what you are saying.

Please, be supportive of the research, because many of us are not better. It makes me personally upset to hear someone explain they are better and say something that doesn't make sense that I should follow. Sorry, this post does really upset me
Turmeric and Rosemary 30-45 minutes before orgasm for anti-inflammatory and immune support has helped me a lot. Faster and easier than niacin approach.

Prancer

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 10:54:30 PM »
It always a contest about who is right and who is wrong. This isn't a contest.

I'm glad you're better. I'm not. You simply know what you personally went through, how can you say it will be the answer for us with only your opinion?

I don't believe in magic. I don't believe in miracles. I don't believe a lot of things because someone says they found the answer. I believe in facts. I believe in evidence. I'm sorry, but I reject most all what you wrote because I need to know the truth, and I'm not sure you yourself even understand what you are saying.

Please, be supportive of the research, because many of us are not better. It makes me personally upset to hear someone explain they are better and say something that doesn't make sense that I should follow. Sorry, this post does really upset me

Really, really good and refreshing post Nightingale! I absolutely 100% agree with everything you wrote.  As a famous physicist says, "The universe doesn't care what you believe. [he refers to people who believe in irrational supernatural stuff]"

With all that said, we shouldn't be too hard on Lapoisse. He simply believes POIS is a chronic burn out. He's not mentioning anything supernatural. He even says "symptoms of POIS are totally real, something happens in the body". So while I absolutely believe him when he says he's cured, and don't necessarily accept his theory of what POIS is (let's all let the researchers do that for us), it in no way upsets me. He's simply giving his idea/theory of what he believes POIS could be. And his idea is clearly very scientifically valid, although not necessarily correct (again, the research will help us understand everything).
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 08:56:51 PM by Prancer »

FloppyBanana

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 06:03:18 AM »
Indeed the mind is a powerful thing. I don't believe too much Imperial science. Einstein said after his theory of quantum mechanics that what was said in religion was also true. I think he realised something truthful there. Anyhow I not that interested into getting into big philosophical debate.

I think its worth mentioning that with continuous treatment Vagus Nerve Stimulation (invasive) has stopped depression and some people have been able to stop taking anti depression medication. Transcutaneus Vagus Nerve Stimulation has also been proved to effectively treat depression and pain. We could be in a lucky period of history where a breakthrough is made and we could get some non-medicated form of relief. Just by putting an ear pice in, wow that would be great! But also it may not work. Let keep positive on this one though. Even if it stops POIS for only person that is a real breakthrough in the process here.

FloppyB
30 years of POIS. Mytelase after O with Iceman breathing technique.

LAPOISSE

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 04:10:46 PM »
Floppy,

Very well said, you should read a book called "the god formula" from Jose Rodrigues dos santos if you want to learn a bit more about Einstein and it's metaphysic's opinion by the end of his life.

Indeed, Vagus nerve stimulation could help but my inch is the cause is upstream and can be solved differently

Nightingale, sorry if you upset you but again, if it can help only one other person, it worth it ; For the record, what I've said concerning the research is just an opinion I get from experience as I've been diagnosis for neurovagal dystonia years ago.I put 500$ for the research and I respect it ; I just believe that even though it's one piece of the puzzle,  cause of POIS is somewhere else ; what I feel is not a theory, I experience it everyday and believe me my POIS as bad as all of you.

Jimmy

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 05:06:07 AM »
I'm happy for your success lapoisse.

But now I'm in the second day of POIS, and I can swear that the symptoms are purely physical and real. There is something wrong happens inside our bodies. I feel with strong inflammation ; severe fatigue, headache, muscle pain , internal heating ... All these add to the anxiety and depression.

I tried many times to think of this evil as a psychological thing and tried always to think positively and to forget about it but unfortunately I didn't succeed . Each time I "O" the crash happens directly 4 hours afterwards.

BTW, what also convince me that it's not psychological, that I have been with this disease for years before I found this forum and before I knew that there is something called POIS.

Now , I'm interested with the curcmin therapy that the guys here just started since curacmin seems to work with inflammation and even linked to the auto immune diseases

FloppyBanana

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2014, 10:04:10 AM »
Lapoisse,

I did not realise you have been diagnosed with neurovagal dystonia. I believe you would be an important person to be part of the study. Do you get this condition without orgasm? Do you intend join the study?
Have you ever tried progesterone to relieve your symptoms? I'm curious.

Thanks FloppyB

poisioq

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2014, 10:08:59 AM »
He is not saying that POIS is psychological , nor it's not physical.
he is just saying he found out the way to heal himself. And he is not the only one.
I believe our brain is very powerful.
There are many cures out there. Learning how to manage the power inside our brains is one of the possibilities. Remember that the brain is part of our physical body. It is the main organ in our body. And if the main organ does not work properly, then the whole body struggles.

LAPOISSE

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2014, 11:18:45 AM »
He is not saying that POIS is psychological , nor it's not physical.
he is just saying he found out the way to heal himself. And he is not the only one.
I believe our brain is very powerful.
There are many cures out there. Learning how to manage the power inside our brains is one of the possibilities. Remember that the brain is part of our physical body. It is the main organ in our body. And if the main organ does not work properly, then the whole body struggles.

Totally agree, 20th century medicine tend to stricly separate mind and body ; Recent discovery might change the whole paradigm and 21th medicine could be much different.

Indeed I didn't say that POIS is psychological and that symptoms are not real. I know how much there were real and severe for me. I believe that :

1.POIS Symptoms are the expression of an exhausted nervous system ;
2. Nervous system is burned because too much solicited ; the body is not made to support permanent anxiety and stress
3.Cause of anxiety can be multiple ; in most of case there is some kind of trauma ; but it could be just bad thinking habit and some researcher believe there is a genetic contributing factor  ; Anyway this can be solved pretty easily as brain is plastic(changeable)
4.Orgasm is just the target of the anxious mind, the way to crystalize the anxiety on something tangible, basically sex is our cryptonite. it could have been spider of the fear of being stucked in a elevator ; we could have a somehow a personal problem with sex including addiction
5.Contributing factor is that we have been pretty inventive and ingenious in finding compensation strategy and never really crashed but exhaust our body even more ; I guess that Dr K will enlightened this part.

When I find out what people are able to do to themselves physically in  good or bad just by thinking, I had no doubt about the possibility for my mind to be at the origin of my POIS symptoms ; The good news is I was logically able to put an end to this cycle myself.

Floppy, to answer your question, I suppose that we would all been diagnosed for neurovagal dystonia for the reason I mentioned below ; Neurovagal dystonia is just the consequences of a sympathetic nervous system which is firing to much because of stress and anxiety. PTSD people  have the same.

Cheers!

FloppyBanana

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2014, 11:54:51 AM »
LAPOISSE,

How was your neurovagal dystonia medically diagnosed? I think it's a huge assumption to assume that we would all diagnosed with it.

BTW - PTSD has been effectively treated with VNS I believe.

FloppyB