Poll

Which other disorders/life long diseases do you have?

Restless Legs Syndrome
Periodic Limb Movement Disorder
Thyroid Condition: Hyperthyroidism
Thyroid Condition: Hypothyroidism
Thyroid Condition: Other
Bronchitis - Acute or Chronic
Asthma (Or Exercise-induced Asthma)
ADHD
Any kind of Iron, Minerals or Vitamins deficiency disorder
None

Author Topic: Which other disorders/life long diseases do you have?  (Read 10779 times)

bastianb

Which other disorders/life long diseases do you have?
« on: November 09, 2011, 04:24:53 PM »
This is purely for my own research to understand the relation of POIS and other diseases.

I'm just very eager to know EVERTYTHING shared by POIS sufferers. I'm sure it can be useful to know.

Daveman

• Administrator
Re: Which other disorders/life long diseases do you have?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 05:00:49 PM »
I put None, becasue I have none on the list, but do have high blood-pressure (controlled). I would probably be dead by now if I didn't have my medication.

If others answer none, it could be useful to know if there is something you have that's not on the list.

WITHOUT RESEARCH THERE WILL BE NO CURE!
Sessions 5 to 9 days, mostly Flu-like, joints, digestion problems, light cognitive.
Niacin has changed my lif though, now 1 day MAX.
Somewhere in this interaction with Niacin is the answer!

mellivora

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 06:42:13 PM »
I put hypothyroidism. Actually I developed hyperthyroidism, then had radio-iodine treatment and now I have an underactive thyroid as a result. It was soon after my thyroid went underactive that I developed POIS symptoms.

bastianb

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 09:28:58 PM »
I put None, becasue I have none on the list, but do have high blood-pressure (controlled). I would probably be dead by now if I didn't have my medication.

If others answer none, it could be useful to know if there is something you have that's not on the list.

Yes, exactly. D'oh on my side not to add that and probably a few more. But this idea came to my mind when I was in a hurry to go out and I just put whatever I remembered.

So feel free to select as many as applicable on the list or add it as a reply here.

Vincent M

• Physical overshadows cognitive symptoms. 10yrs.
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 02:57:14 AM »
the only other condition i have that i know of is social anxiety disorder.
Taking ginger tea, no wheat, fenugreek+green tea/garlic, saw palmetto, niacin, boswellia, huperzine, B complex and nutmeg. See my treatment summary post for more info: http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=81.msg3513#msg3513

Green

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 06:24:37 PM »
Scheuermann's Kyphosis with four herniated discs in my thoracic spine, regular Spontaneous Pneumothoraces, Generalised anxiety disorder, Clinical depression

badgerstripe

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 04:46:07 AM »
none of the above except i used to get restless leg syndrome while withdrawing from caffeine which i no longer ingest. I am allergic to dairy, gluten, tree pollen and various chemicals, cigarette smoke, animal fur, certain food additives

b_jim

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 03:14:50 PM »
None, except digestive disorders and hypoglycemia.
Taurine = Anti-Pois
Lyme disease "cured" in 2020.

Nightingale

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 03:20:38 PM »
I suffer from chronic major depression, schizo-affective disorder (like schizophrenia but way less disruptive), bi-polar disorder, and generalized anxiety
Turmeric and Rosemary 30-45 minutes before orgasm for anti-inflammatory and immune support has helped me a lot. Faster and easier than niacin approach.

Observer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 04:49:08 PM »
I suffer from chronic major depression, schizo-affective disorder (like schizophrenia but way less disruptive), bi-polar disorder, and generalized anxiety

Nightingale are you sure that your bi-polar disorder is not a result of POIS? I mean, you get POIS and you are in a bad, depressive mood, and however, when you are out of it, you feel like Superman. Is that your case and could you have been mis-diagnosed? It is just a thought to share with you.
Regards.

Daveman

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2012, 05:32:35 AM »
I put hypothyroidism. Actually I developed hyperthyroidism, then had radio-iodine treatment and now I have an underactive thyroid as a result. It was soon after my thyroid went underactive that I developed POIS symptoms.

Quite interesting. It's not the first reference we've had on the forums which involves the thyroid.

I don't suppose it's a thyroid related disease, but thyroid disorders must disrupt some related system. We should begin looking for a link that ties, niacin, testosterone and thyroid disorders.

Again, not with the view that the thyroid is central but somehow involved in a POIS related system.

Sessions 5 to 9 days, mostly Flu-like, joints, digestion problems, light cognitive.

Nightingale

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2012, 09:24:05 PM »

Nightingale are you sure that your bi-polar disorder is not a result of POIS? I mean, you get POIS and you are in a bad, depressive mood, and however, when you are out of it, you feel like Superman. Is that your case and could you have been mis-diagnosed? It is just a thought to share with you.
Regards.

Am I sure? No.  I'm sensing that you have a stigma regarding bipolar diagnosis...  Do you not agree with how it is being diagnosed today?  The main reason I have a bipolar diagnosis is that when I have manic episodes it creates psychosis.  So the diagnosis arrived at the same time I got diagnosed with schizo-affective.  

Even if what you suggest is true, than I don't have anything to change but continue trying to find a cure for POIS.  Note that I did say I had major depression, and it had a lot more to do with life events than from POIS. And that contributes to the further subdiagnosis of Bipolar - Depressive Subtype.  Pharmachologically there is a difference in what Bipolar comes from and from what POIS come from (probably).  And since I have had success with mood stabilizers (Lithium) for treatment of bipolar, I doubt that I have been misdiagnosed.

I definitely believe POIS effects my mood, but I see almost no downsides to having a bipolar diagnosis.  Especially since I take lithium for it.  Oh and just to re-emphasize, I have the depressive subtype, so I am more prone to depressive mood swings than to manic.  I could try to stop taking Lithium, but it has one of the best track records as a medication (it's an element on the periodic table) and is so benign I will continue to say I have bipolar.  There is nothing lithium could do that would "rob" me of having a "happy side."  There's this misconception that psychiatry attempts to "kill" that thing inside you that makes you feel good because the good that you're feeling is just a liiitttle bit too good.  Doesn't happen.  Mood stabilizers do just that: keep things stable.  So if I were to cure POIS, and I was not NOT on lithium, there is a significant chance I might become manic from the sheer joy of being freed from POIS.

Thanks for the concern, it's a very contentious topic and should be discussed.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 09:28:20 PM by Nightingale »
Turmeric and Rosemary 30-45 minutes before orgasm for anti-inflammatory and immune support has helped me a lot. Faster and easier than niacin approach.

Daveman

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2012, 06:34:02 AM »

Regards.

Am I sure? No.  I'm sensing that you have a stigma regarding bipolar diagnosis...  Do you not agree with how it is being diagnosed today?  The main reason I have a bipolar diagnosis is that when I have manic episodes it creates psychosis.  So the diagnosis arrived at the same time I got diagnosed with schizo-affective.  

Even if what you suggest is true, than I don't have anything to change but continue trying to find a cure for POIS.  Note that I did say I had major depression, and it had a lot more to do with life events than from POIS. And that contributes to the further subdiagnosis of Bipolar - Depressive Subtype.  Pharmachologically there is a difference in what Bipolar comes from and from what POIS come from (probably).  And since I have had success with mood stabilizers (Lithium) for treatment of bipolar, I doubt that I have been misdiagnosed.

I definitely believe POIS effects my mood, but I see almost no downsides to having a bipolar diagnosis.  Especially since I take lithium for it.  Oh and just to re-emphasize, I have the depressive subtype, so I am more prone to depressive mood swings than to manic.  I could try to stop taking Lithium, but it has one of the best track records as a medication (it's an element on the periodic table) and is so benign I will continue to say I have bipolar.  There is nothing lithium could do that would "rob" me of having a "happy side."  There's this misconception that psychiatry attempts to "kill" that thing inside you that makes you feel good because the good that you're feeling is just a liiitttle bit too good.  Doesn't happen.  Mood stabilizers do just that: keep things stable.  So if I were to cure POIS, and I was not NOT on lithium, there is a significant chance I might become manic from the sheer joy of being freed from POIS.

Thanks for the concern, it's a very contentious topic and should be discussed.

I have no doubt that POIS can have a very destabilizing effect over depressive type disorders, and that can range from moving a borderline or even dormant situation out into the for-front to distortion of the symptoms in heavier cases.

What I mean by the latter, is that it may not be normal to have the mix of diagnoses that you have, where even a normal professional would say that it is not possible or likely, yet with POIS, the apple-cart gets "upset" enough that the crossed diagnoses are possible.

In borderline cases, without POIS, someone may  go all his life without outward depressive symptoms, yet with POIS, he "snaps". I would think even to the level that in or out of POIS,  he may have continuing symptoms. (although certainly worse within).

This makes it very difficult to find the right solution. It puts us outside the envelope as far as "standard professional evaluation" goes. Even a good doctor in the area would have problems evaluating and treating us.

And so it is difficult not to be skeptical.

Nightingale

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2012, 12:56:29 PM »
Just to add, I began having POIS at age 12, with the depression sometime soon after.  Your agrument seems to be of the perspective of "borderline controlled depression/mania" which gets pushed over the edge by POIS. The bipolar diagnosis did not arrive until I was 22, so I don't think I fit the scenario you posted, Daveman.  If I were to have my apple cart upset, it was the bipolar on top of the POIS.  Now if you got POIS later in life (33 years for you, Daveman?) and you already had a predisposition to depression/mania, then there might be something worth looking at about diagnosis.  You may be more POIS than bipolar. 

It's tempting to attribute POIS to contributing to a misdiagnosis of bipolar because it strengthens our claim that POIS is a serious, broad-spectrum disease.  Thing is, we as POIS sufferers all have that confirmation bias where we see connections out there that may just be correlations.  I'm speaking strongly on this issue as I believe challenging bipolar diagnosis on the notion that POIS could be behind it all is really dangerous or even irresponsible.  Lets say someone where to decide to quit their treatment out of hope it would improve their lives.  It is very tempting to some, since they want to believe they are normal, and not sick.  This would surely be a bad thing.  And how would it improve POIS symptoms?

Let's stick to solving POIS, and leave the mental illness to the psychiatrists informed by vast, peer-reviewed research networks.

Observer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2012, 05:25:12 PM »
Just to add, I began having POIS at age 12, with the depression sometime soon after.  Your agrument seems to be of the perspective of "borderline controlled depression/mania" which gets pushed over the edge by POIS. The bipolar diagnosis did not arrive until I was 22, so I don't think I fit the scenario you posted, Daveman.  If I were to have my apple cart upset, it was the bipolar on top of the POIS.  Now if you got POIS later in life (33 years for you, Daveman?) and you already had a predisposition to depression/mania, then there might be something worth looking at about diagnosis.  You may be more POIS than bipolar. 

It's tempting to attribute POIS to contributing to a misdiagnosis of bipolar because it strengthens our claim that POIS is a serious, broad-spectrum disease.  Thing is, we as POIS sufferers all have that confirmation bias where we see connections out there that may just be correlations.  I'm speaking strongly on this issue as I believe challenging bipolar diagnosis on the notion that POIS could be behind it all is really dangerous or even irresponsible.  Lets say someone where to decide to quit their treatment out of hope it would improve their lives.  It is very tempting to some, since they want to believe they are normal, and not sick.  This would surely be a bad thing.  And how would it improve POIS symptoms?

Let's stick to solving POIS, and leave the mental illness to the psychiatrists informed by vast, peer-reviewed research networks.

Hi Nightingale. I did not want to offend you in any case. I trust you in what you´ve said and i am glad that lithium works on you to stabilize your mood, that is exactly the best proof that you have bipolar disorder. I got POIS after an emotional event. My mind took a heavy toll while this event was happening. After this precise emotional event i began to get POIS, i cannot recall exactly what was my first time, but i can recall feeling with brain fog for first time. And more: My brain fog led me to have negative, repetitive thoughts. I was suffering a hell on my mind, when the past years of my life before POIS i had been a very happy boy, so that was very strange for me. Firstly, I linked these effects to that emotional event, not to my POIS which was appearing.

I  did not know at that time what could be happening to me. I remember that the Orgasm made me feel really bad. But i did not always linked  that negative thoughts on the days after O. with the orgasm. I searched for "orgasm, masturbation + depresion" "orgasm + bipolar disorder" in google and nothing came up or simply "OCD" "Bipolar disorder" to watch what the symptoms were . I asked a doctor about my symptoms and he told me that i should stay relaxed and enjoy the moment of orgasming (sic).

My question with the bipolar disorder was only because i used to feel that way: While in POIS: Depressed mood, crippled mind, non-emotional state, negative-repetitive thoughts- Out of POIS: Like Superman, no negative-repetitive thoughts, want to socialize with everyone, jokes, clear mind... I expect you to understand why i asked you this exact question. I do not know more than you about this, nor do i pretend to do so.

When i began to fight against my POIS with garlic and fenugreek, the first thing i notice was that the negative thoughts were not anymore in my mind. And with niacin, you can wonder, it has been amazing. My mental, brain fog symptoms are gone after an Orgasm. I feel like i used to be before i got POIS, not like Superman, but more relaxed and focused with everything, more like ME. A lot of inner tension has gone away and i could be myself again. So, for me it was a connection more than a correlation. Any case is different, but i was addressing you from my own experience.

Finally, i have read some members that the anti-depressants -SSRIs- have made their POIS worse. I am glad that i did not take them in my full POIS years.

Best Regards.