Author Topic: My method for prevention and control of my POIS symptoms - 80% to 100% effective  (Read 10194 times)

rainman

Quantum,

Thank you for the advice.

Since I started taking your PRE-PACK as a daily supplement routine for the last week or so. I do feel much more energized. I was not taking any other supplements prior to this. So whatever is giving me that boost, I don't mind continuing with it.

If I do go with a trimmed down version of your PRE-PACK for a daily routine. What would you recommend that I keep taking daily? The rest I would just reserve post-NE release.

One more question. Let's say you take your PRE-PACK in the morning. But, you have a release 5 hours later. Is the affect just as good as taking it 1 hour prior to release?

Thanks,
Rainman

Quantum

• Administrator
Hi Rainman,

I cannot tell you what you should take or not ( it is against forum rules), as it is a personal choice, but I can share what I would do for myself.

First, your question made me realized that I didn"t mentioned the slight change I have done to my pre-pack a few months ago.  I have reduced magnesium to 1 tablet instead of 2 ( to avoid any chance to have loose stool the following day), and have "replaced" it by a capsule of Omega-3 ( 600mg EPA, 300mg DHA).  I have changed my post at the beginning of this thread to reflect this small change.  Like I said, I was taking Omega-3 fatty acids quite regularly, and often after release when some residual symptoms, but decided to take it before, and made it a part of my pre-pack.

My pre-pack is now:

1 x Quercetin 500mg / Bromelain 750GDU (TDO inhibitor, antioxidant, anti-allergy, mast cells stabilizer )
1x Peppered curcumin  (curcuma longa 400 mg + piperin 5mg) (IDO inhibitor , anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, mast cells stabilizer, anxiolytic )
1 x 5-HTP 50mg  ( serotonin precursor )
1 x Green tea extract 200mg ( antioxidant,  raises blood pressure, potentiation of 5-HTP in the brain by inhibiting its peripheral metabolism by Dopadecarboxylase , NMDAR blocker, mast cells stabilizer [EGCG] )
1 x Magnesium 100mg / tablet (NMDAR blocker, potassium regulator)
2 x Flaxseed oil,  1000mg/caps ( NMDAR blocker, antioxidant )
1 x Omega-3 triple concentration, 600 mg EPA/ 300 mg DHA ( emotional support/anxiolytic, ant-inflammatory effect )
1 x Lycopene  10mg (antioxidant having an affinity for the prostate )
1 x L-Theanine 250mg (NMDAR blocker, and supposed mast cells stabilizer )
1 x potassium citrate ( electrolytic rebalancing) ( IMPORTANT WARNING for all members:  I personally have a tendency to low potassium , = hypokalemia. This is a personal condition, so, do not take potassium supplements without the advice of your health professional,  if you take too much of it for your own needs, it can be dangerous, and can even cause fatal cardiac arrhythmia if you take too much,  This potassium intake may be related to a very personal condition, so I am not sure at all that it is needed for others)

All this taken, like mentonned in my first post, with 2 drops of rosemary essential oil, when the situation can allow me to do so, like for a planned release ( rosmarinic acid act as an IDO inhibitor, and also has gaba-enhancing properties through GABA transaminase inhibition, and rosemary also contains luteolin, a mast cells stabilizer ).

So, that being said, if I was to take a part of this daily, I would go with Omega-3, flaxseed oil, and peppered curcumin, and L-theanine if I happen to feel anxious.  The first 2 are lipophilic/oil, so their good effect cumulates with time.  Curcumin/turmeric is a good overall addition to a healthy lifestyle, and thousands of years of daily consumption in India have been proven safe and beneficial for health.

I already take quercetin/bromelain in my sport pre-pack, 2 times a week, and take it in my pre-pack in addition, but it is so effective and helpful that I wouldn't take every single day, I want it to keep an edge and make a difference when I take it.

I would not do separate pre-pack without the "daily" part, I would only use my whole pre-pack anyway, because, first of all, omega-3, flaxseed and curcumin are safe at those doses, even if 2 times the same day, and because I take my pre-pack either early in the morning or in the evening, when a release is planned, or during the night, in case of a NE, so if I want to skip a daily supplementation at breakfast, I can, knowing I have already taken those 3 in the pre-pack.

See what fits for you, and take to time to adjust your protocol to your own situation.

I am glad that you already feel energized, and I am not surprised.  It already happened once that I had an emergency call between the time I took my pre-pack, and the planned release.  I had to go, so no release.  I felt too much energy, for the remaining part of the dauy, from the pre-pack, and realized how hard I was struck by POIS so that I need that much supplements just to be functional and normal, but not energized, just normal, after a release.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 09:48:13 PM by Quantum »
You are 100% responsible for what you do with anything I post on this forum and of any consequence it could have for you.  Forum rule: ""Do not use POISCenter as a substitute for, or to give, medical advice" Read the remaining part at http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=1.msg10259#msg10259

rainman

Thank you Quantum for the detailed response.

Quantum

• Administrator
You are very welcomed.

I can mention that, living up North, with long winter with not much sunlight, I take 1000ui of vitamin D daily, but that is not for POIS, but for general health, to counteract lack of sunlight.  However, vit D is good for auto-immune problems, so it does not hurt.

Let me know after a while about the results you get, Rainman.
You are 100% responsible for what you do with anything I post on this forum and of any consequence it could have for you.  Forum rule: ""Do not use POISCenter as a substitute for, or to give, medical advice" Read the remaining part at http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=1.msg10259#msg10259

rainman

Quantum,

I will keep you posted. I need to muster the courage to take the PRE-PACK and plan a release. To see what happens. Since I have not had an NE yet.

Btw, at one point you had mentioned you take Taurine as well. Is that still part of your normal routine?

Thanks,
Rainman

Quantum

• Administrator
Hi Rainman,

No, taurine is not part of my normal routine.  I use it when there are some POIS "leftover" symptoms even if I took my pre-pack properly, among other products I have as a second line of defense ( with others like pine bark extract, pomegranate extract, Moducare,  vitamin C, ....).

I used to take it more often because I was more anxious ( taurine is a NMDS receptor blockers, which help with anxiety).  Well, after 10 years of psychotherapy, my baseline level of anxiety have decreased, and after 3 years of having found this forum and having developed my pre-pack,  anxiety is kept at bay, usually, now, so I need less supplement in order to control my anxiety.  And, at over 50, sex is less important in my relationship with my wife, and she really prefers when I stay myself ( I used to undergo a significant personality change during POIS), so she doesn't insist a lot for frequent sexual activity.  Less releases means less anxiety to manage, for me. In the last 3 years, she almost never saw the "anxious and exhausted madman" I become in POIS, and I think she is really ready to some compromise in order to never see him again.

rainman

Hi Quantum,

It's amazing. The way you describe your symptoms and relationship with your wife. It is almost identical to my situation. My wife rather have a stable/dependable man. Rather than someone who can easily change with the wind (I become an entirely different person, who cannot function like I normally do). On top of all of that, why have additional factors that can affect your ability to be successful at whatever you want to do professionally.

I feel really bad for those out there who have this problem, but do not know what it is. I hope one day your work get's the recognition it deserves, or those in the medical/scientific community wake up to realize this is a real problem men have to deal with.

Thanks again. You made a difference in my life.

Quantum

• Administrator
Thanks for your appreciative words, Rainman.

I hope your testing with pre-pack supplementation will lead to a good control of your POIS symptoms, so that your life and relationship will be easier to manage.

positive_guy

"1 x Quercetin 500mg / Bromelain 750GDU (TDO inhibitor, antioxidant, anti-allergy, mast cells stabilizer )"

Does that mean that one should take either Quercetin or Bromelain, or both of them?

Quantum

• Administrator
"1 x Quercetin 500mg / Bromelain 750GDU (TDO inhibitor, antioxidant, anti-allergy, mast cells stabilizer )"

Does that mean that one should take either Quercetin or Bromelain, or both of them?

Hi positive_guy,

The bromelaim in the preparation I take is there mostly to enhance quercetin absorption, because quercetin is not very well absorbed when on its own.  So, the properties listed after are those of quercetin.  Nevertheless, bromelain is a good natural anti-inflammatory in itself, so it is a valuable add-on.

I have listed the exact active ingredients of what I take in my pre-pack, to be accurate in my report of what works for me.    About the quercetin/bromelain, I suggest you include quercetin if it is safe for your condition and what you already take, and if the preparation you take also contains bromelain, I think it's a plus.

The quercetin/bromelain I take is very helping for me, both for POIS, and after post-sport fatigue.  I think I have already linked to the exact preparation I take, but can do it again here:  https://www.vitacost.com/vitacost-quercetin-bromelain-120-capsules   ( I have no commercial interests with Vitacost, though, I just link to it for informational purpose, and because my experience with them is that they have good prices, reliable delivery, and a good customer service ).

demografx

• Administrator
This is a teriffic thread.

Thank you, Quantum.
Usually have major POIS-reduction, treatment consisting of daily (365 days/year) testosterone patches.

TRT must be checked out carefully with your doctor due to fertility, cardiac and other risks associated with it.

40+ years of severe 4-days-POIS, married, raised a family, started/ran a business.

fathom

Hi Quantum, wondering if there would be some kind of diagram/picture for your pre-pack?.   I am finding that I have trouble understanding textual material (the material appears foggy to me) until I can draw a picture may it even be over-simplification.  Before visiting this forum, I never had the notion that I might have what you folks called brain-fog, but now I increasingly think that I do suffer enormous amounts of it.  This acceptance is proving scary to me also since I recently learnt about pyschosomatic diseases, which I think mean, where you over-think about something to such an extent that your body actually reacts to it, kind of like self-induced injury?   

On your pre-pack, I noticed you are taking only 100 mg of Mg.   I understand your concern about the laxative effects of Mg, but isn't that too low a dosage to be of substantial value?   The 100% DV of Mg is 400milligrams.   Also which Mg type are you taking or recommend?  I started yesterday on a 400mg dosage of MgOxide/MgAspartate/MgCitrate, and also put an order for Magnesium L-threonate. 

My pre-pack/daily-pack is similar to nanna1 and partially yours.  While it has helped me TREMENDOUSLY in day-to-day symptoms i.e. before an o, however my POIS post o symptoms have had only a minor effect (instead of 7 days, maybe its now 6 days), so I'm still on the drawing board trying to figure out what to try next.

1 x L-Theanine 250mg (NMDAR blocker, and supposed mast cells stabilizer )

Quantum

• Administrator
Hi Fathom,

This is the exact magnesium preparation I take:  https://www.jamiesonvitamins.com/products/magnesium-100-mg  ( If you click on "ingredient information, you will see what kind of magnesium salts it is made of).   Back when I had only magnesium and green tea as defense against POIS, I would take much of these during the day, maybe 2 tablets, 3 times a day.  But it is no longer necessary, and 1 tablets of 100mg is enough, when taken with the rest of my pre-pack.  I prefer low doses of many things over high doses of a few things.

When you ask for a diagram, you mean a daigram of how it works?  You may take a look at http://fr.slideshare.net/adonissfera/tryptophan-and-madness/17-Cytokines_Come_in_Two_FlavorsProInflammatory   , a diagram showing how the kynurenin toxic products causes brain symptoms... Is that what you were looking for ?  ( In the diagram, take not that in addition to the abbreviaiton already defined, TRP = tryptophan, and 5-HT = serotonin).

« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 11:56:01 PM by Quantum »

positive_guy

So are POIS symptoms caused by toxins? Quantum, what do you think about also using detoxifying supplements?

Quantum

• Administrator
Hi PG,

In my hypothesis, cognitive and emotional symptoms ( all brain symptoms) are linked to toxic kynurenine products ( for more on this, see http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=1988.msg15559#msg15559  ). 

Also, I think that the more our liver and overall body is clean/free of toxin, the less severe POIS is ( this last hypothesis is supported by the fact that, in addition to my personal results with overall liver support, some members like Kurtosis and nanna1 had great results on reducing their POIS by supporting a detoxification pathway of the liver called methylation).  I suggest you read my thread on liver detoxification at http://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=2431.msg20521#msg20521
(First post gives explanations about why I think liver detoxification is important in POIS, and third post gives advice on how to do liver detox )